Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Why We Fold (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33678230)

Lupine Apr 9, 2003 10:46 AM

Why We Fold

Why do you Fold?

There are an endless number of valid reasons. Maybe you have a friend or family member who is fighting cancer, or maybe you have lost someone to cancer. Maybe you like being part of something bigger than yourself; a cause to follow. Maybe you're a number person, competing with yourself and others - pushing to best last week's numbers.

Maybe you have that old computer still sitting around that was supposed to become a mail server - just as soon as you learned Linux ... and your better half has told you to either put it to use or get rid of it! Or maybe you've built a new machine and can't figure what to do with all those extra clock cycles.

Why do you Fold?

Pojo Apr 9, 2003 10:50 AM

to smack all of you down....

Lupine Apr 9, 2003 10:56 AM

Why do I Fold? A combination of reasons actually.

Cancer is the big one. I lost my grandmother to colon cancer back in 1995, my 11 year old niece to leukemia in 2000, my mother-in-law is a breast cancer survivor (which increases the chances that my wife will have the same issues in the future), and my grandfather also has leukemia.

Almost all the other possible reasons I listed in the original post are a factor. My dad's an accountant, so numbers are in my blood; I find myself checking the stats pages on almost a daily basis to see if my production is off or if the team is still loosing ground to Icrontic or MaximumPC. I also have control of quite a few computer systems that were spending a significant amount of time doing nothing but pushing around screensavers, and Folding puts these extra clock cycle to work.

I originally Folded for United Devices, but dropped from that project when I discovered that UD was profitting financially from the volunteer work. It wasn't until I bought my 9700 Pro and was searching for support forums that I discovered [email protected] The rest is history.

What's your story?

MDC Apr 9, 2003 10:57 AM

It's more fun than not folding!

Lupine Apr 9, 2003 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pojo
to smack all of you down....
Pojo, you ARE the bomb! :D

Whatever your reasons, Team Rage3D wouldn't be the same without you!

Aspect Apr 9, 2003 11:32 AM

Dunno really , just enjoy racking up the points :D

wandernACE64 Apr 9, 2003 11:59 AM

i'm addicted....folding is a drug...its bad!!! :D

EDIT: go up and vote guys :) (sticky)

curio Apr 9, 2003 01:18 PM

I used to be a SETI freak - and back in about December of 2000, I saw that DSL Reports had a cancer research DC team - this thing called [email protected] so I thought hey, that's way more useful than SETI.

So I decided to join their team, and did so for a few months. All of a sudden, I realized that Rage3D was starting to get large, so I spoke to MrB and asked if I could start a Rage3D folding team.

Since then, I have had some relatives get cancer, and I have also got the addiction of number crunching - so it all added up to me to keep adding more machines to the project, and do a whole lot of recruiting.

The rest is history... :)

euan Apr 9, 2003 02:26 PM

I figure that will all the time I spend in front of the xray tube. Next the PC that has CPUs running at microwave frequencies, and surrounded my Electro-magnetic radiation. It's in my best interest to do [email protected] :D

Hack1903 Apr 9, 2003 08:07 PM

Why not?

Lupine Jun 15, 2004 12:54 PM

My grandpa died Monday - another victim to cancer.

As if I needed another reason to fold ... :mad: :(

Fobinator Jun 15, 2004 02:36 PM

The number 1 cause of death in my (extended) familly has been cancer. Its soo bad that i even lost count.

I originally started folding back in september (2003) but i wasn't to serious about it. After my grandmother died from breast cancer and Aunt was diegnosed with colon cancer i desided to install it on all my PCs.

I am now nearing the 300 mark (currently 323) but with a little help i will be in the top 100 by the end of the year.

citywok Jun 15, 2004 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fobinator
The number 1 cause of death in my (extended) familly has been cancer. Its soo bad that i even lost count.

I originally started folding back in september (2003) but i wasn't to serious about it. After my grandmother died from breast cancer and Aunt was diegnosed with colon cancer i desided to install it on all my PCs.

I am now nearing the 300 mark (currently 323) but with a little help i will be in the top 100 by the end of the year.

grandpa had cancer pretty much over his entire digestive tract (liver, stomach, eveyrthing else down there) and was given 6 mo to live. he struggled and managed 2 years. my grnadma had a tumor in her nasal cavity, lost her saliva and nearly her life.

both smoked.

KJ Jun 15, 2004 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 7up1n3
My grandpa died Monday - another victim to cancer.

As if I needed another reason to fold ... :mad: :(

Sorry to hear that :(

absolutefunk Jun 15, 2004 04:20 PM

I fold for the cure!

-Brian

hotwired Jun 15, 2004 08:02 PM

My 17 year old duaghter has CF and would not be with us today if not for this type of work . Thanks to all who fold !!!!!!!!

BigDaddyLugNutz Jun 15, 2004 10:28 PM

The reasons are two fold :) First and formost because I believe in this project. My family is prone to cancer. I have seen many go well before their time. I hope not to be one of them, bless their souls. On a larger scale, how can you not? If you own a computer, there is no excuse not to, period.

On a lighter note, it is fun.

Quote:

i'm addicted....folding is a drug...its bad!!!
So well said.

Quote:

Dunno really , just enjoy racking up the points
For that reason also.

And finally, hey, you paid good money for that proc, might as well make it pull it's own wieght!

alex-the-cat Jun 19, 2004 01:04 AM

CPUs are made to be used.
If CPUs are made to be used, why not using it to do something meaningful?

absolutefunk Jun 19, 2004 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by alex-the-cat
CPUs are made to be used.
If CPUs are made to be used, why not using it to do something meaningful?

Especially if you leave your comp on all the time anyways. I'm burning in a new cpu with [email protected] right now and already I got some good temp drops from the AS5. Another few days to go ;)

-Brian

citywok Jun 19, 2004 01:45 AM

b/c without folding i run 10c cooler. lol.

absolutefunk Jun 19, 2004 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Parisioa
b/c without folding i run 10c cooler. lol.
LOL, I meant that the AS5 was starting to set. When I first started stress testing my temps were about 5C hotter ;)

-Brian

hobs0n Jun 21, 2004 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by euan
I figure that will all the time I spend in front of the xray tube. Next the PC that has CPUs running at microwave frequencies, and surrounded my Electro-magnetic radiation. It's in my best interest to do [email protected] :D
Haha quoted for truth :lol:

[email protected] > Seti

argasek Jun 21, 2004 09:16 AM

Why I fold? Because it's better than not to fold :D

citywok Jun 21, 2004 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by argasek
Why I fold? Because it's better than not to fold :D
as good a reason as any :)

Wizard_0_0 Jun 21, 2004 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hotwired
My 17 year old duaghter has CF and would not be with us today if not for this type of work . Thanks to all who fold !!!!!!!!

My bro turned me onto this for my neice.

Funny thing is we are all going to need a cure someday so why not put all this extra power to work:drool: for a good cause.:D

:hmm: Besides its a fun competition :D

P.S. Im gonna catch you some century hotwired:p

NoTicket Jun 22, 2004 06:12 AM

I fold because I want to be able to say that I helped in my own small little way to find a cure for cancer. So that my CPU that I use for miserably useless things like gaming, is put to use to try to ease the pain and suffering of others.

junglist1996 Jun 24, 2004 08:09 AM

Hi all, I just started folding today. I fold because I believe when people are using supercomputers to create WMDs I should, however little it means, contribute a little something to a good cause for everyone.:)

Anyway, I'm a supernoob at the subject matter and I'd really like some insight into http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...adid=33766078.

Thanks.

kakarot Jun 27, 2004 10:32 PM

Re: Why We Fold

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7up1n3
Why do you Fold?

Because I can :hmm: :lol:

On a serious note I have lost family members to cancer and if there's even the slight chance I can help, I'll be there.

Koffield Jun 30, 2004 06:46 PM

Cancer, in my case - several people related to me have passed away from it :(
I had thought SETI was interesting, but had wanted to put my computer's work toward something tangible, and every once in a while Stanford gives us some good news :)

I should be back folding with Team 3D now ... I don't know why my config was folding back for 734 again :confused: All fixed now, should have a new wu in an hour or so :)

black hole sun Jun 30, 2004 07:49 PM

No reason. I shut if off a lot, because it makes my games stutter, but I got a good 32 WU's in and I like moving up ranks, passing people etc. :)

If stats weren't available I'd probably not do it at all.