Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Console Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Sega Genesis Mini - September 19, 2019 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34049487)

Meteor_of_War Jun 4, 2019 10:40 AM

Sega Genesis Mini - September 19, 2019

Game lineup really looks solid. But of course what it really comes down to is how good is the emulation/hardware, and how easily can it be hacked to add lots more games.

But $79.99 with 2 controllers and 40+ games out of the box, not bad. I think the only complaint I have so far is they went with the 3 button controllers instead of the much better 6 button. I would have gladly paid an extra $10 for the better controllers, but oh well.

http://genesismini.sega.com/

Final games have just been announced:

Mangler Jun 4, 2019 10:57 AM

The emulation is probably going to be really good, M2 is handling that.

Elysian Jun 4, 2019 10:59 AM

Yep pre-ordered... Genesis was my jam when I was a kid.

Munkus Jun 4, 2019 11:01 AM

Just looked at the game lineup. I may have to get this one.

jimjobob Jun 4, 2019 12:15 PM

September 19? I just saw this on a shelf Sunday and picked it up to check the games.

Meteor_of_War Jun 4, 2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimjobob (Post 1338136281)
September 19? I just saw this on a shelf Sunday and picked it up to check the games.

You were probably looking at one of the crappy AtGames versions.

This is a new, higher quality one overseen more closely by Sega.

jimjobob Jun 4, 2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338136283)
You were probably looking at one of the crappy AtGames versions.

This is a new, higher quality one overseen more closely by Sega.

Ah, looks like it was the AtGames genesis flashback.

I thought it looked like it had a pretty good list. Lots of RPG's.

SubCog Jun 4, 2019 01:38 PM

Cool beans. One thing I did like about the Atgames ones though, is that they had a cartridge slot so you could plug in your own games too.

Also, it's a shame they limited it to 40 games. It would have been nice to have all the sonic sequels, both golden axe's, streets of rage series, etc. These are games Sega owns outright, so it wouldn't have cost them anything, and I'm pretty confident there wasn't a storage constraint.

KAC Jun 4, 2019 10:19 PM

All this **** been available on PC with emu. Why would any gay buy this crap?

Elysian Jun 5, 2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338136368)

Why does anyone buy retro games period? I've been able to emulate NES games since the early 2000s, but I have real hardware at home, hooked to a CRT.

Meteor_of_War Jun 5, 2019 09:57 AM

Emulation is serviceable for retro gaming but has some issues at times with accuracy compared to the actual games and hardware that I tend to always notice, which is a huge reason why I still collect and play the actual games. Not to mention nostalgia is a big part of the experience for me that I just can't recreate with emulating on a PC.

For these new classic/mini consoles, they are IMO like a middle ground between emulation and the real thing, and they are more plug and play accessible and cheaper than building a raspberry pi or whatever. Also being an officially licensed product is important for collectability as well.

That's my personal justification anyways.

SubCog Jun 5, 2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338136368)

It's fun to have it in an attractive little nostalgia package. I totally get that. That being said, I have not purchased any of the "mini" consoles myself, as I already have most of the games anyway.

Meteor_of_War Jun 5, 2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338136460)
It's fun to have it in an attractive little nostalgia package. I totally get that. That being said, I have not purchased any of the "mini" consoles myself, as I already have most of the games anyway.

They're fun to hack and put all the super rare expensive games on them.

Athena Jun 6, 2019 12:07 PM

Road Rash FTW
This game was a real addiction for me on my Amiga for years.

DeathKnight Sep 19, 2019 03:09 PM

My preorder off Amazon shipped today. Should have it tomorrow :)

I'm curious how fast this thing will be hacked.

Jet Black Sep 19, 2019 09:38 PM

My Amazon order was at home when I got back from work. Pretty cool so far! I didn't own a SNES as a kid so this brings back a lot of memories. Definitely prefer the Genesis controller and buttons. They put a lot of care into this.

Even stranger is it supports my 21:9 monitor out of the box! I'm running the games in their native resolution but the menu and the wallpaper are fullscreen whereas my SNES and NES Minis are 16:9 only.

Elysian Sep 20, 2019 08:40 AM

Mine arrives today....

Amazon charged me twice for it :mad:

Meteor_of_War Sep 20, 2019 09:10 AM

I'm still on the fence about buying this, at least right now. I've got almost all the games in one form or another already. Probably will end up waiting to see how the hacking scene goes with it and decide upon that.

The TurboGrafx-16 mini however I will definitely be getting that one. I have never owned a TG16 and always wanted one.

Elysian Sep 20, 2019 09:37 AM

I would seriously consider buying these useless hunks of plastic if they made them available in the US...

Jet Black Sep 20, 2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338153165)
I would seriously consider buying these useless hunks of plastic if they made them available in the US...

I admit I could be persuaded into buying those as well lol.

Meteor_of_War Sep 20, 2019 09:51 AM

LOL I guess this thing is all about the novelty and nostalgia so in that case those makes sense.:lol:

Elysian Sep 20, 2019 09:53 AM

Would be even better if they really made them functional add-ons that gave you 32X and Sega CD games, but I'd assume hollow plastic parts wouldn't be too expensive.

Meteor_of_War Sep 20, 2019 10:28 AM

Right, too bad they didn't make them real functional add-ons with games.

I'm thinking they decided it wasn't worth the effort, as I don't believe a big enough market has much nostalgia for Sega CD and 32X.

Elysian Sep 20, 2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338153185)

I'm thinking they decided it wasn't worth the effort, as I don't believe a big enough market has much nostalgia for Sega CD and 32X.

Yeah, I wonder if anyone is going to make them functional, just make them an external USB drive or something.

SubCog Sep 20, 2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338153185)

I wonder how 32x runs on a raspberry pi?

Meteor_of_War Sep 20, 2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338153257)
I wonder how 32x runs on a raspberry pi?

Not sure, 32X doesn't have any good enough games worthy to try it.:p

Elysian Sep 20, 2019 08:12 PM

Got mine today, pretty happy with it! I did notice some audio lag in Road Rash II, maybe it'll be hacked and fixed :lol:

Meteor_of_War Sep 20, 2019 10:04 PM

There's always audio lag in these mini consoles. The Nintendo ones have it too.

Clockwork Sep 20, 2019 10:09 PM

I have mine too...

Hapatingjaky Sep 21, 2019 12:51 PM

I can't bring myself to get this since I have the Mega Drive on Steam.