Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Samsung S9 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34046876)

Munkus Feb 26, 2018 04:47 PM

Samsung S9

Exciting or no? Looks like a yawn-worthy incremental upgrade to me, but maybe Iím missing something. Thoughts?

Rummy Feb 26, 2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338056155)
Exciting or no? Looks like a yawn-worthy incremental upgrade to me, but maybe Iím missing something. Thoughts?

Don't you have an iPhone?
I signed up for pre order, but I have an S8 we'll see.

Munkus Feb 26, 2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rummy (Post 1338056184)
Don't you have an iPhone?
I signed up for pre order, but I have an S8 we'll see.

I do, but I'm always interested in what's being released on both sides of the OS aisle.

Rummy Feb 26, 2018 07:41 PM

Nice, I am not sure if I will upgrade I can get up to half off so we will see. i do like my s8 but I do like newer tech as well even if it doesn't mean too much change.

Silent-Runner Feb 27, 2018 03:29 AM

too pricey for what you get, but well, some people always buy everything if it's "new". It's not a bad phone per se, of course, but almost 900 bucks is a bit beyond (for me).

Mahjik Feb 27, 2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent-Runner (Post 1338056241)
too pricey for what you get, but well, some people always buy everything if it's "new". It's not a bad phone per se, of course, but almost 900 bucks is a bit beyond (for me).

I don't know if they have this in your area, but many mobile phone service companies here in the US offer "leasing" of phones. It's for those that want to trade up their phones as new revisions are released.

With that, I'm sure two S9's will be in my house shortly as my wife and daughter do that... I'm too lazy to change phones out so often so I wait until I either break or cannot use my current phone before changing.... Even then, I rarely get the top of the line phones any more.. I don't use all the capabilities to make it worth it for me.

Elysian Feb 27, 2018 02:39 PM

I'll never buy a Samsung phone again, so big nope from me.

@md_Guy Feb 27, 2018 04:31 PM

S7/S8/S9 are all among best phone for my needs so far..
3.5mm jack - Check
Quality camera - Check
FM Radio - Check
Qi wireless Charging - Check
IP67/68 (waterproof) - Check
SD Card - Check

My only issues are lack of removable battery.. meaning after 2 years, about how long battery lasts, your screwed and need a new phone, Google Assist/Bixbi all pale in comparison to Cortana with regard to Voice interaction..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338056359)
I'll never buy a Samsung phone again, so big nope from me.

I'm leaning towards S8/S8+ seeing as Nokia failed to deliver
What sort of issue you have with Samsung ? What model ?

Elysian Feb 27, 2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @md_Guy (Post 1338056383)
S7/S8/S9 are all among best phone for my needs so far..
3.5mm jack - Check
Quality camera - Check
FM Radio - Check
Qi wireless Charging - Check
IP67/68 (waterproof) - Check
SD Card - Check

My only issues are lack of removable battery.. meaning after 2 years, about how long battery lasts, your screwed and need a new phone, Google Assist/Bixbi all pale in comparison to Cortana with regard to Voice interaction..

I'm leaning towards S8/S8+ seeing as Nokia failed to deliver
What sort of issue you have with Samsung ? What model ?

Every Samsung I ever owned was junk, and they were top of the line at the time. Note 5 was the last straw, I won't give them my money.

Rummy Feb 27, 2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338056384)
Every Samsung I ever owned was junk, and they were top of the line at the time. Note 5 was the last straw, I won't give them my money.

What do you mean by junk? So vague.

Mahjik Feb 27, 2018 04:51 PM

I like Samsung phones. They had real good integration with various social networks without having to download junk from the Playstore (and find ones that aren't data stealing apps).

However, they are always bloated with stuff you can't remove (without rooting it).

Elysian Feb 27, 2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rummy (Post 1338056388)
What do you mean by junk? So vague.

I've posted more than enough on here about Samsung devices I've owned, don't feel like rehashing with a point by point for such crap phones.

I think this says it all... I used to be hardcore anti-Apple. The Note 5 was bad enough I replaced it with an iPhone 6s+.

Silent-Runner Feb 28, 2018 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1338056356)
I don't know if they have this in your area, but many mobile phone service companies here in the US offer "leasing" of phones. It's for those that want to trade up their phones as new revisions are released.

With that, I'm sure two S9's will be in my house shortly as my wife and daughter do that... I'm too lazy to change phones out so often so I wait until I either break or cannot use my current phone before changing.... Even then, I rarely get the top of the line phones any more.. I don't use all the capabilities to make it worth it for me.

they do that over here too, you still would have to pay around 450 bucks ON TOP of that. For that miniscule differences between the S8 and the S9 i wouldn't pay that, but as i said, it's just my personal view on it. What i really like about the Samsung is the brilliant display but i hate the UI for some reason. Also all the friggin bloatware

logical Feb 28, 2018 02:52 AM

Variable aperture is the only interesting thing to me. I'd like to see how that performs in reviews later on. That will be a nice thing for apple to steal for the next iPhone.

The 900fps 720p video with a second of footage is interesting too if not gimmicky.

somewon Feb 28, 2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Far from junk.

I've tried offerings from Huawei, Apple, HTC, LG, and a few others over the years, but keep coming back to Samsung.

IMHO, nothing out there is comparable to the Note 8 in terms of overall capabilities and feature-set.

0091/2 Feb 28, 2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338056401)
I've posted more than enough on here about Samsung devices I've owned, don't feel like rehashing with a point by point for such crap phones.

I think this says it all... I used to be hardcore anti-Apple. The Note 5 was bad enough I replaced it with an iPhone 6s+.

The biggest complaint I hear about their phone was the software. Samsung made a lot of good software improvements on their galaxy s8 line. The phone no longer slows down over time. People find this very hard believe when I say that. I have no idea what people are about when they say Samsung's phone lags and crashes.

Rummy Feb 28, 2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1338056603)
The biggest complaint I hear about their phone was the software. Samsung made a lot of good software improvements on their galaxy s8 line. The phone no longer slows down over time. People finds this very hard believe when I say that. I have no idea what people are about when they Samsung's phone lags and crashes.

Yeah pretty lame. I have had a Galaxy since the S5 and never had problems.

Jay20016 Feb 28, 2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1338056603)
The biggest complaint I hear about their phone was the software. Samsung made a lot of good software improvements on their galaxy s8 line. The phone no longer slows down over time. People finds this very hard believe when I say that. I have no idea what people are about when they Samsung's phone lags and crashes.

My S3 and S5 definitely took some performance hits as the time went on, but... this S8+ has been going strong for a while now and just the other day I realized that I've only restarted the phone a total of 2 or 3 times in about 6 months of ownership and have seldom had slow downs that weren't just a result of some shitty networks in the center of swamp land.

0091/2 Feb 28, 2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rummy (Post 1338056639)
Yeah pretty lame. I have had a Galaxy since the S5 and never had problems.

It could be because of the software installed on their phone.

Mahjik Feb 28, 2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay20016 (Post 1338056643)
My S3 and S5 definitely took some performance hits as the time went on, but... this S8+ has been going strong for a while now and just the other day I realized that I've only restarted the phone a total of 2 or 3 times in about 6 months of ownership and have seldom had slow downs that weren't just a result of some shitty networks in the center of swamp land.

What typically happens is that if you are not rooted, the bloatware from the mobile provider keeps increasing over time. I had this problem with Sprint. I track the application size and battery usage and their apps that they loaded (and refused to allow you to uninstall without rooting) kept sucking up more and more of my phone's resources.

I will say this was a few years ago and haven't noticed it as much these days.

Munkus Mar 1, 2018 08:28 AM

I had a Note 3 that bogged down like crazy after about a year. The lag between loading and switching apps was unbearable. Hence why we're now an iPhone house. Still, I miss the stylus, so the Note 8 is calling my name.

A2597 Mar 1, 2018 09:49 AM

The software difference between the 3 and the 5/7/8 is incredible. My note 5 even after two major OS upgrades hasn't bogged down.

ice Mar 1, 2018 10:10 AM

You don't need to root phones anymore, at least not Samsungs. Package Disabler Pro does all the same stuff Titanium Backup did with freezing and uninstalling every app.

I have had no real issues with my S7 Edge either. I agree the older ones slowed down, this one hasn't. I've still averaging 5 hours of screen time per day as well ad I've had it since launch.

I'll be looking at the Note 9.

curio Mar 1, 2018 12:22 PM

My S8+ has been simply spectacular so far; really brought me back on board with Samsung. The only downside I've experience is slow updates, but what else is new there.

But I don't see a need to upgrade to the S9; seems just an incremental upgrade like Munkus said

pax Mar 1, 2018 01:27 PM

While things have slowed down on the old Samsung Note 2 as its obviously ancient by smartphone standards, here its still far from useless. Runs everything I need and knowing I have the HW in it for a couple more android updates at least kind of irks me. So stuck on android 4.4.2...

OS upgrade by manufacturer will be seriously looked at when I finally get around to buying a new phone. Considering the prices we pay for them I expect 4 years of support not just 2.

Treeckcold57 Mar 2, 2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Only the last two Samsung phones I had was a crappy basic flip cell and a Galaxy S2. After those. I now owned iphone 6 and then iphone 7 from now. I'm not interested in upgrading to an X model unless Apple sorted X model out with some revisions or next gen X with no top notch. :lol:

Napoleonic Mar 2, 2018 10:00 PM

People still bother about root and bloatware on high end android phones in 2018? :lol:

Elysian Mar 2, 2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleonic (Post 1338057147)
People still bother about root and bloatware on high end android phones in 2018? :lol:

No, that's why I bought my Essential.

CurrentlyPissed Mar 3, 2018 12:49 AM

Quote:

My Note 5 was pretty solid but it went to pretty useless around the 2 year mark. (so much so, it felt like planned obsolesce). But the S8+ I basically got for about $50 when they came out, and it was hard to pass up the deal. And honestly, it's re-secured my feelings for Samsung... For now. We'll see around the 2 year mark. But a lot of the battery management stuff is really, really good.

somewon Mar 5, 2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleonic (Post 1338057147)

Note 8 here, and while the desire to root will always be there for any hardcore enthusiast/geek for certain features that are otherwise impossible to get to, for 99.9% of the population out there, it would be of no benefit I'd say.

Also, Samsung/Android OS has really improved from a bloatware perspective, and the ability to put apps to sleep or withhold from memory.

Couldn't be happier with this device, and nothing else out there is comparable in terms of overall features and performance.