Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   I'm Back! (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34028863)

Flyordie Dec 12, 2016 12:43 AM

Brought my down for a few hours to do a thorough cleaning. CPU Temps dropped 9C. lol. That heatsink was pretty caked.. lol.

GPU wasn't much of a change as I had cleaned it real good a few weeks prior.

But, back up and folding 100% now.

Turbo_Rage3d_ Dec 12, 2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutefunk (Post 1337931223)
That would be nice! 2X 780s will give you some huge PPD increases for both you and the team :-D :drool:



There was a time in the not so distant past when we were barely over 1 MPPD as a team; now we are playing with 5 MPPD :D If we can get some of our power folders back online again, then I think top 20 is reachable. We have the community for it, I think we just need to get the word out there to the rest of the Rage community.

Well we'll have to figure out how to get the word out, I noticed lately I've been passing people I thought I'd never have a chance to catch, like Caveman-jim & Lupine. How much additional ppd you think 2x780s will give me?

Turbo_Rage3d_ Dec 12, 2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyordie (Post 1337931283)
Brought my down for a few hours to do a thorough cleaning. CPU Temps dropped 9C. lol. That heatsink was pretty caked.. lol.

GPU wasn't much of a change as I had cleaned it real good a few weeks prior.

But, back up and folding 100% now.

I'm going to have to do that again myself in the near future.

absolutefunk Dec 12, 2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo_Rage3d_ (Post 1337931331)
Well we'll have to figure out how to get the word out, I noticed lately I've been passing people I thought I'd never have a chance to catch, like Caveman-jim & Lupine. How much additional ppd you think 2x780s will give me?

Should be about 600-700K PPD :cool:

Flyordie Dec 12, 2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo_Rage3d_ (Post 1337931331)
Well we'll have to figure out how to get the word out, I noticed lately I've been passing people I thought I'd never have a chance to catch, like Caveman-jim & Lupine. How much additional ppd you think 2x780s will give me?



Regular 780s or 780 Ti's?

Regular 780 = 180-190Kppd. (They are severely limited in clockspeed to around 1Ghz usually)
B1 Stepping 780Ti = 260-280K ppd (assuming a 1,150Mhz clockspeed on the core)

PER CARD.

Turbo_Rage3d_ Dec 12, 2016 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyordie (Post 1337931532)
Regular 780s or 780 Ti's?

Regular 780 = 180-190Kppd. (They are severely limited in clockspeed to around 1Ghz usually)
B1 Stepping 780Ti = 260-280K ppd (assuming a 1,150Mhz clockspeed on the core)

PER CARD.

Haven't got them yet, but they are regular 780s, so a ~360k boost in production would still be sweet.

jima13 Dec 12, 2016 11:13 PM

http://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/G...D-20E3049FED37

Specs show 980 base...

:fold:

absolutefunk Dec 13, 2016 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyordie (Post 1337931532)
Regular 780s or 780 Ti's?

Regular 780 = 180-190Kppd. (They are severely limited in clockspeed to around 1Ghz usually)
B1 Stepping 780Ti = 260-280K ppd (assuming a 1,150Mhz clockspeed on the core)

PER CARD.

I was way off :lol: My calculations were based on some benchmarks which are typically accurate, but I think around ~190K PPD is more accurate now that I think about it in comparison to a 680 I briefly folded on.

Flyordie Dec 15, 2016 06:53 PM

I wonder if it would be worth while to ask around to see if anyone has any low end GPUs like the 750Ti etc... I'd love to add more to my [email protected] PPD and really i'd add any card that'll get points since my PCIe slot is empty... might as well fill it.

absolutefunk Dec 17, 2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyordie (Post 1337932632)
I wonder if it would be worth while to ask around to see if anyone has any low end GPUs like the 750Ti etc... I'd love to add more to my [email protected] PPD and really i'd add any card that'll get points since my PCIe slot is empty... might as well fill it.

I asked my roommate last week if he had any spare GPUs for that same purpose :lol:
I now have a 560ti on my desk waiting for a new home (which won't happen until January - I'm shutting down my servers this Wednesday due to planned power outages over the Christmas break, and I won't be back to boot them until first week January).

I'd say go for it!

Flyordie Dec 18, 2016 03:22 AM

I'm prolly gonna go to liquid cooling.. This V1 can't keep this FX8320 cool enough under load for 24/7 folding. Idle I sit at 27C. Load it climbs to 52-55C @ 4.0Ghz and 1.35V.* $50 for a brand new H80i V2 is to good of a deal to pass up. (yes, its on sale.. lol) (but for $60 I can get the H100i V2.

I cant use anything bigger than a 140mm footprint because my case has no other mounts for a radiator. Not even on the top of the case as it uses 200mm fans.. with no provisions for 140mm fans. (I might have found a way to mount it though, a few others have posted ways to mod it to work. :-) )

This will help boost my PPD by about 5,000ppd. (as I should be able to get 5.0Ghz stable 24/7 with it.

*This cooler, the base is hot, fins are warmish, not hot. I just don't think the heatpipes can handle the heat output and transport it away fast enough.

I also hope Corsair releases an updated AM4 mount for it when AMD releases the hardware.

absolutefunk Dec 18, 2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyordie (Post 1337933269)
I'm prolly gonna go to liquid cooling.. This V1 can't keep this FX8320 cool enough under load for 24/7 folding. Idle I sit at 27C. Load it climbs to 52-55C @ 4.0Ghz and 1.35V.* $50 for a brand new H80i V2 is to good of a deal to pass up. (yes, its on sale.. lol) (but for $60 I can get the H100i V2.

I cant use anything bigger than a 140mm footprint because my case has no other mounts for a radiator. Not even on the top of the case as it uses 200mm fans.. with no provisions for 140mm fans. (I might have found a way to mount it though, a few others have posted ways to mod it to work. :-) )

This will help boost my PPD by about 5,000ppd. (as I should be able to get 5.0Ghz stable 24/7 with it.

*This cooler, the base is hot, fins are warmish, not hot. I just don't think the heatpipes can handle the heat output and transport it away fast enough.

I also hope Corsair releases an updated AM4 mount for it when AMD releases the hardware.

Mid 50's is still pretty good for a folding load, but if you can get another 1GHz out of those cores then a relatively cheap upgrade to H20 would definitely be worth it. Back in April when I upgraded to a larger air cooler I was able to squeeze out probably another 2-3K PPD from the OC.

It'll help you also to regain some CPU-based PPD if you add another GPU and need to free up a CPU thread for it.

Flyordie Dec 20, 2016 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutefunk (Post 1337933367)
Mid 50's is still pretty good for a folding load, but if you can get another 1GHz out of those cores then a relatively cheap upgrade to H20 would definitely be worth it. Back in April when I upgraded to a larger air cooler I was able to squeeze out probably another 2-3K PPD from the OC.

It'll help you also to regain some CPU-based PPD if you add another GPU and need to free up a CPU thread for it.


Bought the H100i V2 for $49.99 shipped. Courtesy of a discount from Corsair. lol. Shipping from Newegg, ordered last night at 5ish CST.

absolutefunk Dec 22, 2016 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyordie (Post 1337933803)
Bought the H100i V2 for $49.99 shipped. Courtesy of a discount from Corsair. lol. Shipping from Newegg, ordered last night at 5ish CST.

I would say an early Christmas gift but it'll probably come next week :lol:

Btw, I shut down the servers I fold on today (planned power outage over the Christmas break), so for the next couple of weeks or so I hope to see you and a few others on my threat list :D

Flyordie Dec 22, 2016 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutefunk (Post 1337934349)
I would say an early Christmas gift but it'll probably come next week :lol:

Btw, I shut down the servers I fold on today (planned power outage over the Christmas break), so for the next couple of weeks or so I hope to see you and a few others on my threat list :D


Shipped 11AM yesterday. FedEx Ground (4-5 day)
Due for delivery today.

...

Just re-checked.. Delivery re-scheduled.. for Friday, by 1PM. Item is in St Louis though... so, probably whats gonna happen.. They are gonna hand it to USPS today, USPS is gonna deliver it tomorrow.

.....
Well... FedEx sent me an e-mail.. "Delivery re-scheduled for Today. "On Truck, Out for Delivery- By End of Day".

absolutefunk Dec 23, 2016 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyordie (Post 1337934383)
Shipped 11AM yesterday. FedEx Ground (4-5 day)
Due for delivery today.

...

Just re-checked.. Delivery re-scheduled.. for Friday, by 1PM. Item is in St Louis though... so, probably whats gonna happen.. They are gonna hand it to USPS today, USPS is gonna deliver it tomorrow.

.....
Well... FedEx sent me an e-mail.. "Delivery re-scheduled for Today. "On Truck, Out for Delivery- By End of Day".

:lol: :lol:

Did you get it?

Flyordie Dec 23, 2016 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutefunk (Post 1337934734)
:lol: :lol:

Did you get it?

yep. at 11:09AM

Flyordie Dec 27, 2016 09:39 PM

Its alive.

FX8320 sits at 35.5C under load with the pump and fans on "Quiet" mode. Can't even hear it.

4.0Ghz @ 1.35V

Turbo_Rage3d_ Dec 28, 2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyordie (Post 1337936027)
Its alive.

FX8320 sits at 35.5C under load with the pump and fans on "Quiet" mode. Can't even hear it.

4.0Ghz @ 1.35V

Sweet!! I know when I put the Zalman LQ315 on my 1055t it made a huge difference, I can run 4.0ghz on it stable, but stick with 3.5ghz for daily use.

absolutefunk Dec 28, 2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyordie (Post 1337936027)
Its alive.

FX8320 sits at 35.5C under load with the pump and fans on "Quiet" mode. Can't even hear it.

4.0Ghz @ 1.35V

4.1 GHz, you know you wanna :D

Flyordie Dec 29, 2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutefunk (Post 1337936424)
4.1 GHz, you know you wanna :D


I already know what this chip will do when voltage is applied. lol. It does 5.0Ghz when kept cool.

absolutefunk Dec 30, 2016 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyordie (Post 1337936909)
I already know what this chip will do when voltage is applied. lol. It does 5.0Ghz when kept cool.

5.1 GHz, you know you wanna :D

Or if you really wanted to be brave (and your specific chip and cooler is up to the task), apply mad voltage and get up to 8GHz :lol: I know it's been done, but as to whether such an OC was actually folding stable I seriously doubt.

Flyordie Jan 2, 2017 03:33 AM

I might, closer to Zen though, I'll try and see if this 8320 can reach the FX9590 speeds.

Right now, @ 4.0Ghz I only pull 106W through my socket according to the VRM IC @ 100% load @ 5.0Ghz it tops out at 192W. Please note- This board only has 8+2 VRMs. They only got to 72C during that test, but I've seen them hotter when I didn't have the small fan on them. 82C I think was what I seen HWMonitor say on it.

But right now, I am looking at new cases. Smaller footprint. Mid-Tower. Gotta have dust filters and a full-windowed case. Gonna put some thought into this next case and transfer most everything over to it.

absolutefunk Jan 3, 2017 12:51 AM

Most of my home builds have utilized 4+1 phase power simply due to the mini-itx form factor (well that and not being able to afford the 1 or 2 compatible 1155 boards with 8+2). Once the Zen platform is out, I may pull the trigger on a new build. Definitely going with a larger case, and possibly matx if the mini-itx offerings are not good (or if I want multiple graphics cards).

Definitely looking forward to some Ryzen folding!! :D

Chuck Jan 13, 2017 09:53 PM

Meh. Wake me up when Bete is back. :bleh:

Flyordie Jan 14, 2017 09:28 PM

Had downtime this weekend... Internet upgrade. Bumped to a ASUS N66 Dual band router (3x3). Reduced PING by about 30ms. That freaking router is a powerhouse.

absolutefunk Jan 17, 2017 04:38 AM

I'm typing this on a laptop connected to a WRT54G :D

Turbo_Rage3d_ Apr 18, 2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutefunk (Post 1337919160)
Welcome back to the fold!! Looking forward to some good ol fashioned competition :D

You got a good head start, AGAIN!!, but I'm coming for you!!:D :cool: :evil:

absolutefunk Apr 19, 2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo_Rage3d_ (Post 1338065387)
You got a good head start, AGAIN!!, but I'm coming for you!!:D :cool: :evil:

I'm looking forward to seeing you on my threat list! Now if you become a rather permanent fixture on my threat list, I'll have to do some hardware upgrades :lol: :lol:

Turbo_Rage3d_ Apr 19, 2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutefunk (Post 1338065570)
I'm looking forward to seeing you on my threat list! Now if you become a rather permanent fixture on my threat list, I'll have to do some hardware upgrades :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a plan! This was stage 1 of my upgrades, stage 2 end of next week, not as big but still worth while.:fold:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com