Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Windows Phone 8 Apps Tips and Tricks (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33996201)

Sazar Nov 17, 2012 01:50 PM

Windows Phone 8 Apps Tips and Tricks
 
Figured a consolidated thread would be work well :D

So far, besides the basic apps, which eliminate the need for separate twitter, facebook and G+ apps (all in people hub), I've add a few others. My pet peeve was and remains no native Pandora or Spotify apps. However, Nokia Music is pretty awesome and I am now using an app called "Radio Controlled" which is basically a 3'rd party Pandora App.

So, apps I currently have on my phone (Nokia Lumia 920) are:

- Netflix (not as good as on iOS)
- CNN (live and breaking news, lock screen can also update with images from iReport, very cool. Also integrates a lens in the camera app so you can send reports directly, if you ever plant to do that)
- LevelUp (pay using your phone, the code on your phone screen is scanned and you automatically receive payment information as well as the order completion, no need for credit card. A few locations around Austin use this).
- PageOnce (bill and account tracking, VERY useful :drool: )
- SoundHound and Shazam
- Weather
- Stop the Music! (automatically kills whatever song is playing and removes it from any of your media bars)

As an aside, you can do a hard-reboot of your phone by holding the down volume, power and camera buttons at the same time.

I've downloaded a few different lenses for my camera as well and I am still finding my way around the phone :)

Please post any different apps you are using and tips and tricks for the device. :)

shrike126 Nov 17, 2012 01:53 PM

Is there a Google Voice integration or native app that can be used. I'm really looking hard at picking up the HTC 8X series, instead of a Galaxy S3. While I know the Android OS offers much better Google Voice integration, if it's functional (for SMS and phone calls) on the 8X, one of these may be my next phone. :bleh2:

Sazar Nov 17, 2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrike126 (Post 1337090372)
Is there a Google Voice integration or native app that can be used. I'm really looking hard at picking up the HTC 8X series, instead of a Galaxy S3. While I know the Android OS offers much better Google Voice integration, if it's functional (for SMS and phone calls) on the 8X, one of these may be my next phone. :bleh2:

You can ask questions and what not.

Also, long press on the home button brings up voice commands. It is not as refined as Siri or Google's implementation in my opinion, but the few things it natively does, it does well. Otherwise the search function is excellent.

Google's app works well too.

-edit-

Please note that some of the apps on the 920 are not available natively on the HTC and I have no idea if they will be (Nokia drive, for example). But there are plenty of surrogates that should work and Navigon and others are available with downloadable maps. Keep in mind the HTC has less space than the Nokia.

Hannibal Lecter Nov 17, 2012 03:13 PM

If you hit the search key then the music icon on the bottom it will identify songs just like shazam. I found it faster at finding results than shazam.

Sazar Nov 17, 2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter (Post 1337090421)
If you hit the search key then the music icon on the bottom it will identify songs just like shazam. I found it faster at finding results than shazam.

Nice :)

Long press on the Back button pulls up the app switcher.

Flip through to whatever you want and double tap back button to close.

Sazar Nov 18, 2012 09:35 AM

If you have the phone connected to a bluetooth audio device (speakers or headset), when a text comes in, the phone will read out an alert to you. Surprisingly got my friends rather complicated name correct :lol:

First phone I've had with voice alerts like this so am pretty happy.

Sazar Nov 19, 2012 10:59 PM

A nice little guide to help folks out.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...8-tips-tricks/

And obviously Microsoft's own guide.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...ips-and-tricks

Sazar Nov 22, 2012 09:38 AM

Some folks appear to be having issues with battery life with WP8. While Microsoft looks into it, this might work for you :)

I have my NFC (for data transfer) turned off. Seems there is an issue with it constantly searching for neighboring devices. Also, I have my email set to receive immediately, instead of searching every set time.

I unplugged yesterday around 9 PM or so. It's been close to 12 hrs now and with some light browsing and messing around with some other settings, battery life currently stands at 87%.

Some other WP8 users appear to have an issue with lockups or freezes. I haven't experienced it yet but a hard-reboot can be done by holding down the Down volume key + Power + Camera.

m4trix Nov 22, 2012 12:43 PM

Mine is comming the 29th :) hate the damn waiting time.

AdelphiaX Nov 30, 2012 10:38 AM

Found a good 'Music' App replacement if you're coming from iOS. "Audio Player Free" has similar menu options. I can change to a different artist's song in 4 swipes/clicks from the lock screen versus 5 on iOS and 8 using the Xbox Music app.

AdelphiaX Nov 30, 2012 10:40 AM

Anyone know of a battery usage app for WP8? I see Nunz and others post theirs from Android phones in other threads.

I'm thinking I have an app or two (like 'Kik') that may be draining the device. I'd like to verify that somehow.

Sazar Nov 30, 2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdelphiaX (Post 1337099961)
Anyone know of a battery usage app for WP8? I see Nunz and others post theirs from Android phones in other threads.

I'm thinking I have an app or two (like 'Kik') that may be draining the device. I'd like to verify that somehow.

See this app I use.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...&postcount=169

It's called Battery Status and it's very highly rated. Lots of features.

All of the battery usage apps have a delay to conserve battery life (typically half an hour, or you can click and open them for a refresh).

**G.I.BRO** Nov 30, 2012 11:58 PM

Win8 speech recon is pretty neat, not as detailed as googles on androids but i never really used it before until now. Open, close, mail, web...

AdelphiaX Feb 8, 2013 03:40 PM

Super Nintendo Emulator's out


Spotify now available



Never used spotify before but since it was released today for WP8, I thought why not. I've been missing out.

Sazar Feb 8, 2013 05:54 PM

Spotify is still beta but runs relatively well :)

As an aside, the PDF reader app is now working correctly and reads more .pdf's I have opened. :)

AdelphiaX Mar 1, 2013 12:56 PM

Photosynth got released today.

http://www.wpcentral.com/photosynth-...ly-lands-store

jimmt Mar 3, 2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1337090794)
If you have the phone connected to a bluetooth audio device (speakers or headset), when a text comes in, the phone will read out an alert to you. Surprisingly got my friends rather complicated name correct :lol:

First phone I've had with voice alerts like this so am pretty happy.

Loved, and miss, that feature from my Windows Phone 7. It was great on long jogs or driving in the car as I would get text and reply back via voice. It does work great.

Razeus Mar 4, 2013 02:17 PM

I applaud your efforts to stand behind Windows Phone 8, as futile as it seems Sazar.

shrike126 Mar 4, 2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337178972)
I applaud your efforts to stand behind Windows Phone 8, as futile as it seems Sazar.

He's been a pretty great ambassador on these forums for the Windows 8 (ish) platform. Better than some of our iOS / Android "gurus" I think. :cry:

Honestly I'm curious what we'll have to say 2-3 years from now about this futile WP8 platform and its broader platform.

Sazar Mar 4, 2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337178972)
I applaud your efforts to stand behind Windows Phone 8, as futile as it seems Sazar.

It is a great platform, though lacking in apps for certain things. And it is definitely missing some of the Google integration. But, the apps that have come out this year itself are pretty awesome and the OS itself is way ahead in many ways from both iOS and Android.

Android remains the best overall and iOS continues to have the best apps. But WP8 has the most upside from my usage :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrike126 (Post 1337179037)
He's been a pretty great ambassador on these forums for the Windows 8 (ish) platform. Better than some of our iOS / Android "gurus" I think. :cry:

Honestly I'm curious what we'll have to say 2-3 years from now about this futile WP8 platform and its broader platform.

The OS has a chance. Microsoft is another update or two away from fixing some of the issues, but given how relatively new the OS is and how much time Android and iOS have had, it's definitely fired a shot across their bows. If and when the app ecosystem develops, it'll be anyone's game.

In other countries, WP8 is exploding. The US is way behind in terms of adoption compared to many other countries, but c'est la vie :)

As with iOS and Android, you do literally have to spend about a week to get a good grasp of the product :) I still some wow moments with the phone and the OS. Nokia has been amazing with their products (their navigation and other apps are not available to ALL devices, not just Nokia, waiting for HTC to do the same), and the websites such as wpcentral have not shied away from calling out Microsoft for delays on things like Photosynth, Pandora, Xbox Live games and things like that.

Plus the devs have done a good job of staying engaged and responding to criticism with fixes.

It's fun. There are challenges. It's manageable. I still have options this year or the next to move to another device (I REALLY like the HTC One, for example).

Sazar Mar 8, 2013 11:43 PM

I switched from the built-in calendar app to this today and it is, in a word, fantastic. You get a day/tasks/month view (or you can change as you want).

You can link it to all the accounts your Windows calendar was synced to, so rock on.

http://m.wpcentral.com/chronos-calen...not-only-great


Trunks0 Mar 9, 2013 01:19 AM

Be nice if more WindowsPhone Store apps came to the Windows Store. Or at the very least the WinRT edge of the Windows Store given the tablet cross-over in functionality.

AdelphiaX Mar 9, 2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1337183431)
Be nice if more WindowsPhone Store apps came to the Windows Store. Or at the very least the WinRT edge of the Windows Store given the tablet cross-over in functionality.


The 'Blue' update project is suppose to alleviate those hurdles. Pegged for release this year but .... we all know how that goes.

Sazar Mar 9, 2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1337183431)
Be nice if more WindowsPhone Store apps came to the Windows Store. Or at the very least the WinRT edge of the Windows Store given the tablet cross-over in functionality.

As adelphia said, it is supposed to be a work in progress.

What I have noted is an increase in tier 1 style launches. The new soccer game that came out looks absolutely amazing, for example, and asphalt and others are also brilliant. Several other apps recently have really started to add to the ecosystem. I am still waiting for Pandora personally, and the Amazon Cloud app (I have a LOT of songs on Amazon Cloud), but overall, pretty good for a few months :D

Sasquach Mar 9, 2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1337183575)
As adelphia said, it is supposed to be a work in progress.

What I have noted is an increase in tier 1 style launches. The new soccer game that came out looks absolutely amazing, for example, and asphalt and others are also brilliant. Several other apps recently have really started to add to the ecosystem. I am still waiting for Pandora personally, and the Amazon Cloud app (I have a LOT of songs on Amazon Cloud), but overall, pretty good for a few months :D

I just wish devs get off their butts and start developing apps for WP. if they announce it some time ago they are SO GODDAM SLOW with releasing either the app or an update to an existing app.....
I understand if something had to be ported to a different code base (WP7) but WP8 supports native code......

And MS is so damn slow releasing functionality updates to the OS in general to.....

I just don't like seeing WP getting brushed aside because it lacks THOSE apps and/or are missing some functionality. They don't seem to be gaining marketshare because of this.

Sazar Mar 9, 2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1337183826)
I just wish devs get off their butts and start developing apps for WP. if they announce it some time ago they are SO GODDAM SLOW with releasing either the app or an update to an existing app.....
I understand if something had to be ported to a different code base (WP7) but WP8 supports native code......

And MS is so damn slow releasing functionality updates to the OS in general to.....

I just don't like seeing WP getting brushed aside because it lacks THOSE apps and/or are missing some functionality. They don't seem to be gaining marketshare because of this.

I agree completely.

I am not married to the OS. If WP8 doesn't continue improving, I'm just going to move to Android and call it a day.

AdelphiaX Mar 9, 2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1337183844)
I agree completely.

I am not married to the OS. If WP8 doesn't continue improving, I'm just going to move to Android and call it a day.


Same, if it's not a lot better by the next Nexus 4 revision, buh-bye.

Razeus Mar 11, 2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1337183826)
I just wish devs get off their butts and start developing apps for WP. if they announce it some time ago they are SO GODDAM SLOW with releasing either the app or an update to an existing app.....
I understand if something had to be ported to a different code base (WP7) but WP8 supports native code......

And MS is so damn slow releasing functionality updates to the OS in general to.....

I just don't like seeing WP getting brushed aside because it lacks THOSE apps and/or are missing some functionality. They don't seem to be gaining marketshare because of this.

That's what is hurting MS. Not enough resources being put into the platform. I don't understand their marketing either. Why would I care if Jessica Alba or Gwen Stefani uses Windows 8? Am I to believe this is marketed to women? MS has never been good at marketing, but they need a different approach. I see more Surface dancing :confused: commercials than I do for their phone. Then again, I still think the whole Windows 8 OS is just plain bizarre.

Hannibal Lecter Mar 11, 2013 03:15 PM

http://www.wpcentral.com/drift-mania...ty-game-engine

first wp8 game using the unity engine.

Sazar Mar 11, 2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337184853)
That's what is hurting MS. Not enough resources being put into the platform. I don't understand their marketing either. Why would I care if Jessica Alba or Gwen Stefani uses Windows 8? Am I to believe this is marketed to women? MS has never been good at marketing, but they need a different approach. I see more Surface dancing :confused: commercials than I do for their phone. Then again, I still think the whole Windows 8 OS is just plain bizarre.

The Surface commercial must have been good coz it is testing well and Apple is copying them with their new commercials :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com