Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Help with ATI software updates (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33683090)

Polock May 2, 2003 10:06 AM

Help with ATI software updates

After a marathon installation of my 8500DV vid card, which included a RMA, 3 different driver sets and 4 raid 0 rebuilds I discovered my Power Supply was inadequate. The fine print read 185W max with 3.3v and 5v rails...:eek:

It sucks being a novice at times...ahh well, most of the time. I read the driver update primer from shasha and genius about 6 times each and have become very compitent with drivers, but this is the first time I've got to the software for the 8500DV.

I'm lost and the updated install guides seem sketchy. After 6 weeks getting this far, I'm in need of hand holding :)

I have successfully installed the Cat 3.1 drivers and wonder what to do next? Do I need to install the optional software from the CD or update web site?

As a sideline, whoever said ATI didn't support their cards with driver updates must be on druuuuugs...they were updating drivers faster than I could get mine installed:lol:

Please deposit your nickel's worth (inflation) of advice here:
____________________________ :cool:

Polock

ArcCoyote May 2, 2003 10:32 AM

Depends on if you need DVD or not.

If you don't need DVD, download the MMC and related components from the ATI website. If you DO need DVD, or don't feel like downloading over 50 megs of bloat, buy a CD from ATI's web store. You'll get a new CD with Cat 3.1, MMC, DVD decoders, and Remote software.

Polock May 2, 2003 12:30 PM

Re: Depends on if you need DVD or not.

Quote:

Originally posted by ArcCoyote
If you don't need DVD, download the MMC and related components from the ATI website. If you DO need DVD, or don't feel like downloading over 50 megs of bloat, buy a CD from ATI's web store. You'll get a new CD with Cat 3.1, MMC, DVD decoders, and Remote software.
I did download the MMC 7.7.0.1, DVD Player 7.6, Hydravision 3.20.2020 and Remote Wonder 1.2 upgrade from the Cat 3.1 download page. ,

but am cornfused as to whether I can just install from these downloads or do I have to install anything off the CD that came with the card?

How would I verify which version of MMC and DVD is on my CD?

Polock

duhmez May 2, 2003 03:52 PM

Install everything from ATI's website. Install nothing from the CD and you will be good to go.

Polock May 2, 2003 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by duhmez
Install everything from ATI's website. Install nothing from the CD and you will be good to go.

This is starting to sound better all the time. Could my luck be changing for the better?;)

I keep reading and constantly come across how you need to install programs first cause they are basically upgrades, etc. Especially the Remote?

Thanks guys...I have been waiting many moons to experience this 8500DV.

Polock