Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Motoring (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   2016 Ford Bronco (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34013059)

curio Aug 20, 2014 08:20 AM

2016 Ford Bronco
 
No way - it's back; and this time with a diesel option



Quote:

It’s finally happening: after waiting 20 long years Ford is bringing back the Ford Bronco for 2016 and it’s not the Early Bronco concept that was unveiled to the world in 2004 like many believed. This all-new Ford Bronco is based off the highly popular Ford Atlas and if history does indeed repeat itself, this could kick-start the 2-door 4x4 SUV market once again.

The 2016 Ford SVT Bronco is available with three different engine options from a base 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 that pumps out 420 hp to an optional 4.9-liter Powerstroke V-6 diesel engine that is based off the revised 6.7-liter Powerstroke diesel. The 4.9-liter Powerstroke delivers 330 hp as well as 645 lb-ft of torque.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1404...o-coming-soon/

Shadowless Aug 20, 2014 08:24 AM

I just came in my pants. I'm so ****ing happy I can't express it in words. Does this mean GM with bring back the K5 Blazer?!?!?! :drool:

That powerstroke will be a BEAST in that truck.

Elysian Aug 20, 2014 08:28 AM

Jesus that looks awesome. Even reminds me of the last generation Bronco.


But looking at the article, it's a god damned April Fools joke.

AllexxisF1 Aug 20, 2014 08:28 AM

Wow the diesel would be great in that truck...and yes it looks like a truck. :drool:

Shadowless Aug 20, 2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1337559945)
Jesus that looks awesome. Even reminds me of the last generation Bronco.


But looking at the article, it's a god damned April Fools joke.

God ****ing dammit, Curio!!!

AllexxisF1 Aug 20, 2014 08:54 AM

After the wife and I buy our second home in the next couple of years, I already told her that I will be buying a truck because Lord knows when you own a home you need a truck. What she doesn't know is that I am buying a military truck that I will also convert as a simple camper to take the family camping.

Also when it snows and I call everyone of my co-workers that I will be picking them up and taking them into the office, whether they can work from home or not. :evil:

Why a military grade truck? Because F-you that's why. That and the ability to carry a platoon of combat troops is also a plus.

I have not made up my mind yet though on which one. I am leaning more toward the M1078 and the Unimog.


M1078




Pinzgauer





Unimog



Gaz 66




_TiTaNiuM Aug 20, 2014 09:02 AM

Boo.

Honestly... ****ing yuck.

It's like some sort of standard cab shortbed f250 with a cap on it.

The bronco concept was way better.


Incase anyone forgot about it.




It's cool they want to bring it back but make it more like an original bronco... a jeep fighter. This thing... it's a behemoth.

OverclockN' Aug 20, 2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM (Post 1337559968)
Boo.

Honestly... ****ing yuck.

It's like some sort of standard cab shortbed f250 with a cap on it.

The bronco concept was way better.


Incase anyone forgot about it.




It's cool they want to bring it back but make it more like an original bronco... a jeep fighter. This thing... it's a behemoth.

That thing looks awful. Where's the rest of it? :lol:

Love the version in the OP. It's beastly.

_TiTaNiuM Aug 20, 2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1337559979)
That thing looks awful. Where's the rest of it? :lol:

Love the version in the OP. It's beastly.

It looks like a bronco to me. The truck in the OP looks like some sort of f250 crossover wagon thing. Nothing in the new bronco says "Bronco" to me.

Keep in mind that was a concept from 2004, the general idea of the truck and styling is more what I prefer. It needs updated for today but more along the lines of that, than what we got.

Shadowless Aug 20, 2014 09:29 AM

You guys realize the article is an April Fool's joke, right?

_TiTaNiuM Aug 20, 2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337559993)
You guys realize the article is an April Fool's joke, right?

I guess not. I didn't think i'd be seeing 4 month old articles posted here as news.

OverclockN' Aug 20, 2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337559993)
You guys realize the article is an April Fool's joke, right?

Yeah, I read it...but it's kind of irrelevant. I still like one design more than another.

curio Aug 20, 2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337559947)
God ****ing dammit, Curio!!!

****!

Damn it, for reals

Lupine Aug 20, 2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM (Post 1337559968)
The bronco concept was way better.

My 5yr old made that exact version out of Legos the other day. True story. :sherlock:

wabbitslayer Aug 20, 2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM (Post 1337559968)
ter.




Ugh. Looks like the bastard child of a MB G-Class and a 70s era Toyota Landcruiser, made to be a H3 competitor.


I want one of the things pictured way up top, in white with the optional "Freeway Pursuit" package.

Shadowless Aug 20, 2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabbitslayer (Post 1337560058)
Ugh. Looks like the bastard child of a MB G-Class and a 70s era Toyota Landcruiser, made to be a H3 competitor.


I want one of the things pictured way up top, in white with the optional "Freeway Pursuit" package.

It looks like a squished LR Defender.

Also, :lol:

_TiTaNiuM Aug 20, 2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337560069)
It looks like a squished LR Defender.

Also, :lol:

problem? Defenders are beyond awesome.

Shadowless Aug 21, 2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM (Post 1337560138)
problem? Defenders are beyond awesome.

If I want something that looks like a Defender, I'll buy a defender. I want a 2dr SUV on a 1/2 ton platform with a bunch of torque and towing capacity.

Mahjik Aug 21, 2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337560321)
If I want something that looks like a Defender, I'll buy a defender. I want a 2dr SUV on a 1/2 ton platform with a bunch of torque and towing capacity.

The problem is a 2dr SUV just won't have the wheelbase for crazy towing capacity. Trust, I'm there with ya as I don't want a truck, but it's not going to happen.

Shadowless Aug 21, 2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1337560339)
The problem is a 2dr SUV just won't have the wheelbase for crazy towing capacity. Trust, I'm there with ya as I don't want a truck, but it's not going to happen.

The last gen Bronco could tow a decent amount. My uncle used to tow his 26ft boat with his 96 Bronco.

Mahjik Aug 21, 2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337560353)
The last gen Bronco could tow a decent amount. My uncle used to tow his 26ft boat with his 96 Bronco.

A lot people never actually figure out what they can tow "safely". However, it really depends on the boat. The Bronco II doesn't seem to have official towing capacity listed anywhere but it seems somewhere in the 4000-5000lb range which is typical for a vehicle of it's size. 26' boats range anywhere from 4000-7000lbs depending on the boat and boat trailers are usually around 700 lbs. If the boat was on the lower side of the spectrum, that would put it likely within a normal towing capacity range for a Bronco II (and any current mid-sized SUV). I highly doubt the boat was on the higher side, but people have been known to ignore vehicle ratings.

Mahjik Aug 21, 2014 09:26 AM

Correction to that, a 96 Bronco (which I wouldn't call mid-size to today's standard) is around 7000lbs towing capacity:

5.0L w/3.55 rear:Max GCWR is 11,500 lbs.; trailer wt is 0-6600 lbs.

5.8L w/3.55 rear: Max GCWR is 2,000 lbs.; trailer wt is 0-7000 lbs.

Shadowless Aug 21, 2014 09:35 AM

I wasnt talking about mid-sized SUVs, I was talking about a 2dr SUV built on a 1/2 ton platform, which makes it a full size SUV.

For reference, my Explorer can tow 6,620lbs and it's a mid size. The BII was limited by engine. My Explorer was built on almost the same platform as the BII.

Mahjik Aug 21, 2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337560362)
For reference, my Explorer can tow 6,620lbs and it's a mid size. The BII was limited by engine. My Explorer was built on almost the same platform as the BII.

Yes, the older generation Explorer has more towing capacity than the newest generation. It was also a larger vehicle as well (as was the older Bronco). Today, they aren't making them in those sizes which I'm assuming it due to gas efficiency. Today if you want that type of towing capacity, you have to go with a more expensive diesel based SUV (for those makes which have them), one of the very large SUV's (which there are only a small handful of them today like the Armada), or a truck.

Shadowless Aug 21, 2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1337560373)
Yes, the older generation Explorer has more towing capacity than the newest generation. It was also a larger vehicle as well (as was the older Bronco). Today, they aren't making them in those sizes which I'm assuming it due to gas efficiency. Today if you want that type of towing capacity, you have to go with a more expensive diesel based SUV (for those makes which have them), one of the very large SUV's (which there are only a small handful of them today like the Armada), or a truck.

There are mid-sizes that can tow a good amount. A HEMI WK2 Grand Cherokee can tow 7500lbs.

My Explorer is smaller then the current gen and the 2 gens before that. The current Explorer can't tow for **** because it's built on the Taurus platform.

Mahjik Aug 21, 2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337560379)
There are mid-sizes that can tow a good amount. A HEMI WK2 Grand Cherokee can tow 7500lbs.

Yes, which goes back to the "more expensive" part I mentioned earlier (as those can be close to $50k). However, you'd be better off with a diesel Jeep as the gas mileage will be much better. A friend of mine averaged around 19 mpg towing with his diesel Jeep. I would still question the stability given the wheelbase, but he was only towing a Spec Miata (which he is now towing an Exocet in a small enclosed trailer) so not a ton of weight.

Looking around $50k, you are better off just going for a Tundra or F-150 and calling it a day.

Shadowless Aug 21, 2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1337560397)
Yes, which goes back to the "more expensive" part I mentioned earlier (as those can be close to $50k). However, you'd be better off with a diesel Jeep as the gas mileage will be much better. A friend of mine averaged around 19 mpg towing with his diesel Jeep. I would still question the stability given the wheelbase, but he was only towing a Spec Miata (which he is now towing an Exocet in a small enclosed trailer) so not a ton of weight.

Looking around $50k, you are better off just going for a Tundra or F-150 and calling it a day.

50K gets you a very nice jeep and an OK F150. Most people dont want to DD a pickup.

Mahjik Aug 21, 2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337560417)
50K gets you a very nice jeep and an OK F150. Most people dont want to DD a pickup.

Those people aren't serious about towing either... That's the thing today, if you are serious about towing, a truck is the best option. I'm not serious about towing, which is why I'm towing with a FJ Cruiser.

_TiTaNiuM Aug 21, 2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337560321)
If I want something that looks like a Defender, I'll buy a defender. I want a 2dr SUV on a 1/2 ton platform with a bunch of torque and towing capacity.

I don't think you could afford a defender. I don't think most people who would buy a bronco would be able to afford a defender either.

New bronco might cost more than a used "okay" defender, but a 5 year old bronco would definitely cost less than a 15 year old defender.

wabbitslayer Aug 21, 2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM (Post 1337560447)
I don't think you could afford a defender.

:popcorn:


EDIT: this wbole thing is really even funnier when you realize the entire thread is about a vehicle that does not (nor is planned to) even exist


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com