Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Console Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Official Nintendo Switch Discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34033501)

The PyroPath Jan 17, 2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 1337942320)
You know the battery life from experience or what Nintendo has told you? The fact that you can't even charge the default controllers separately from the base unit is a ****ing joke.

As for Tablet Manufactures charging $200 for a lackluster tablet... you know that's the price of the Nvidia Shield Tablet that the Switch basically is (minus the better display, more powerful hardware and larger battery).

BTW this year I bet we get unlocked phones with more powerful hardware than the switch as well as better displays for the same (if not cheaper) price.

The internals of the switch are already two years old, stop trying to pretend they are not.

What I don't get that drives me insane is the amount of apologist there are for Nintendo. Their fans are OK with them constantly rehashing the same ****ing games year after year and putting out "new" hardware that is years old in tech already just because of IP that have been meh for years now.

I'm not apologizing for anyone, I'm just baffled at all the whining of people who are not even interested in Nintendo, the games or switch hardware in general.

You bring the Nvidia shield tablet into this as a comparison, which costs $199, has a slightly bigger screen and higher resolution and bigger battery. On the other hand it has halve the RAM, halve the storage, comes with no controllers or accessories and game support is meh and/or requires a PC to stream. I don't think the Switch is cheap but running around and yelling how stupidly expensive it is, is a bridge to far.

You say it is old tech and therefore should be much cheaper. And I give you the fact that it isn't running a cutting edge chip as far as we know right now, but how old is the tech in PS4 and XBOXone exactly?

I don't think that's apologetic, but the fact there is a double standard everywhere where and when it fits the agenda.

Nascar24 Jan 17, 2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1337942358)
The whole phones will get better hardware thing always gets me when you may get 20 year old pc ports, or candy crush. Woopee

20 hours is more than enough for a controller and yes Nintendo said it, even if it turns out to be 18 hours you're telling me it's too ****ing hard to put them back on the machine to charge?

There's Nintendo apologists and then there's company shills for the opposite spectrum. :bleh:

Also who seriously compares a tablet hardware to a console? Besides stupid people I mean.

Oh no my xperia z5 isn't as fast as my pc, but costs nearly half as much. Goddamn what a slow pile of crap.

:nuts:

There's plenty of wrong which Nintendo is doing but the hardware isn't one of them.

From what I see from Nintendo they are promoting it as more of a console than a Handheld. They should probably change that talk and state it as a Handheld that can be used on your TV. As far as a console goes it appears to be weak sauce again. As a Handheld it is decent but in my opinion should be priced at $199 then. It seems that Nintendo wants it both ways and wants to charge the higher price of a console. Yes it is more powerful then a WiiU but no where enough for me to purchase it for games that I already have on the WiiU such as Mario Kart 8 and the new Zelda coming in a few months.

SirBaron Jan 17, 2017 10:00 AM

I agree for Wii U owners theres. Not much point in getting it until it's either Cheaper, or there are more games. Luckily for Nintendo there's not manu Wii U owners :lol:

ShaidarHaran Jan 17, 2017 10:20 AM

I have a Wii U. I am going to stop buying games for it immediately. I also have a 3DS. There are still lots of good games for it that I don't have yet so I will probably keep buying them. That should tell you the state of the Wii U library...

I'll get a Switch if for no other reason than it's what the Wii U should have been and it will have Breath of the Wild at launch.

Mangler Jan 17, 2017 10:20 AM

I'm surprised that nintendo did not take advantage of that fact by doing more wii u ports, Bayonetta 1&2 Full HD would have been pretty nice.

Meteor_of_War Jan 17, 2017 10:31 AM

I've never really understood the point in specs talk with Nintendo consoles. Everyone knows Nintendo doesn't chase the high end performance crown, but instead tries to focus on making fun and innovative gaming experiences.

This guy says it pretty well:


Mangler Jan 17, 2017 10:50 AM

It's because they have not yet given up the hope of playing big third party titles on a nintendo consoles.

Meteor_of_War Jan 17, 2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1337942451)
It's because they have not yet given up the hope of playing big third party titles on a nintendo consoles.

Well its way past due for those people to give up that hope.

You want to play big third party titles? That's what the other platforms are for. You want to play Nintendo titles and try innovative new stuff, get a Nintendo platform.

What the Switch needs is for third party developers to make games specific for the Switch. If that pans out for Nintendo this time, unlike what happened with the Wii U with all developers abandoning it, then it will be a success.

The PyroPath Jan 17, 2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1337942404)
From what I see from Nintendo they are promoting it as more of a console than a Handheld. They should probably change that talk and state it as a Handheld that can be used on your TV. As far as a console goes it appears to be weak sauce again. As a Handheld it is decent but in my opinion should be priced at $199 then. It seems that Nintendo wants it both ways and wants to charge the higher price of a console. Yes it is more powerful then a WiiU but no where enough for me to purchase it for games that I already have on the WiiU such as Mario Kart 8 and the new Zelda coming in a few months.

I think they shouldn't call it either a home console or portable one and play into their weaknesses and explain what it is that way: No it's not a home console because of the form factor and it is weaker than a Nintendo home console could or should be. No it's not a portable console because it's just not quite portable enough, hasn't got a long enough battery life etcetera. It's a hybrid and has compromises because of that. Something like that. Playing either the home or portable console card will get them flack either way.

Nascar24 Jan 17, 2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran (Post 1337942435)
I have a Wii U. I am going to stop buying games for it immediately. I also have a 3DS. There are still lots of good games for it that I don't have yet so I will probably keep buying them. That should tell you the state of the Wii U library...

I'll get a Switch if for no other reason than it's what the Wii U should have been and it will have Breath of the Wild at launch.

Not here, just picked up star fox zero, xenoblade x and preordered Zelda. That being said that will probably be the end of it for the WiiU.:lol: Just because no more games will be produced. There is no switch in my near future.

Nascar24 Jan 17, 2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The PyroPath (Post 1337942457)
I think they shouldn't call it either a home console or portable one and play into their weaknesses and explain what it is that way: No it's not a home console because of the form factor and it is weaker than a Nintendo home console could or should be. No it's not a portable console because it's just not quite portable enough, hasn't got a long enough battery life etcetera. It's a hybrid and has compromises because of that. Something like that. Playing either the home or portable console card will get them flack either way.

Just looking at it, to me it seems like a handheld. Will be interesting to see if it does any better then the WiiU. I think they would be much better off pushing it as a Handheld at a lower price as they own the market already.

Meteor_of_War Jan 17, 2017 11:58 AM

I view the Switch as a home console with the OPTION of portability. I think its primarily a home console though, and not an equal hybrid.

This is reinforced by the fact it will most likely be completely replacing the Wii U but not replacing the 3DS, at least not yet.

The PyroPath Jan 17, 2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1337942463)
I view the Switch as a home console with the OPTION of portability. I think its primarily a home console though, and not an equal hybrid.

This is reinforced by the fact it will most likely be completely replacing the Wii U but not replacing the 3DS, at least not yet.

Which I think they'll do in about 18/24 months by announcing a Switch mobile only SKU. That is, if the sales of Switch are good enough.

Sasquach Jan 17, 2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran (Post 1337942435)
I have a Wii U. I am going to stop buying games for it immediately. I also have a 3DS. There are still lots of good games for it that I don't have yet so I will probably keep buying them. That should tell you the state of the Wii U library...

I'll get a Switch if for no other reason than it's what the Wii U should have been and it will have Breath of the Wild at launch.

I might eventually get star fox zero (even though its yet another remake, and the wonky control scheme seems a detriment rather than an innovation) plus because they didn't sell a whole lot of them theres still packages bundled with the star fox guard which seems fun

That's likely my last major Wii-U purchase though. Last thing I got was Tokyo Mirage Sessions, but I haven't opened it up yet lol.

Dave Jan 17, 2017 04:29 PM

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/3317...ntendo-switch/

And here we go. Borderlands 3 wont be on the switch.

|MaguS| Jan 17, 2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1337942463)
I view the Switch as a home console with the OPTION of portability. I think its primarily a home console though, and not an equal hybrid.

This is reinforced by the fact it will most likely be completely replacing the Wii U but not replacing the 3DS, at least not yet.

They also said that the 3DS wasn't replacing the DS...

The Switch will be Nintendos only platform come the end of 2017. They cannot support two platforms with their output. Just look at the Wii U.

lazyx Jan 17, 2017 07:29 PM

Many companies can't support 2 different game systems. Look at the failure of Vita\PSTV. IMO switch will replace the 3DS in a couple years, probably with a the release revision of the switch.

KAC Jan 18, 2017 12:48 AM

Another failure in the making. Congrats Nintendo.

SirBaron Jan 18, 2017 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 1337942553)
http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/3317...ntendo-switch/

And here we go. Borderlands 3 wont be on the switch.

Not yet, but theres a chance borderlands pre-seaquel may.

Either way don't expect That much western third party stuff it's guaranteed to get a ton of Japanese games, because this console is basically for Japanese first.

ShaidarHaran Jan 18, 2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1337942658)
Not yet, but theres a chance borderlands pre-seaquel may.

Either way don't expect That much western third party stuff it's guaranteed to get a ton of Japanese games, because this console is basically for Japanese first.

Yep. Both the 3DS and the Vita had that strength and that's basically why I have them. Of course the Switch gets the benefit of the attention of all of Nintendo's internal development teams so it *should* see more games than say the Wii U given the same life span.

Nascar24 Jan 20, 2017 07:21 AM

This Launch has fail written all over it to me.

http://www.vg247.com/2017/01/20/nint...ity-at-launch/

Meteor_of_War Jan 20, 2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1337943231)
This Launch has fail written all over it to me.

http://www.vg247.com/2017/01/20/nint...ity-at-launch/

I understand the complaint about no BC, that's always disappointing, but do we really need another device that plays Netflix and media apps? I don't really see anyone not buying it because of that.

TenFour Jan 20, 2017 09:16 AM

I don't think the BC thing will hurt them badly, since so few people have Wii U's anyway. They will likely port most of the big games that Wii U skippers missed. They've already ported them to 3DS in many cases, so they seem big on ports these days. A 3DS port is probably more work than a Switch port, since the 3DS requires a lot of downgrading, optimization, and tweaking a 3D renderer in the code.

I'm sure VC is coming--no way they would ignore that income stream. I hope they don't pull a Nintendo and make us re-buy VC games again. I don't mind paying a couple bucks to transfer VC games, but full price is just mean.

And I'm sure Netflix is coming. It's on everything.

The PyroPath Jan 20, 2017 09:17 AM

Nah, at least not for me. If I want to use a tablet, I have a bigger one which is also full HD. If I want to watch it on the go I need a connected device like a phone and when AI want to watch it out TV I have literally 4 other devices capable enough.

Nascar24 Jan 20, 2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1337943245)
I understand the complaint about no BC, that's always disappointing, but do we really need another device that plays Netflix and media apps? I don't really see anyone not buying it because of that.

In today's connected world it should be a given, the switch really isn't offering much at launch, and already hearing 3rd party support is lacking because it has to much weak sauce going on.

logical Jan 20, 2017 09:29 AM

I guess Im not mad about BC cause I dont have any WiiU games anyway.

I am sure at some point netflix will come but I dont need it... its on everything already.

I still think I am going to pick it up sometime after launch to see what the initial fallout will be. Breath of the wind really is the system seller and if it wasnt launching with the system I doubt it would get even half of the sales its going to get.

Meteor_of_War Jan 20, 2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1337943269)
In today's connected world it should be a given, the switch really isn't offering much at launch, and already hearing 3rd party support is lacking because it has to much weak sauce going on.

It's just not necessary. When are you going to be in a situation with your Switch where you want to stream some content and there's no other devices available? Never.

I don't know why anyone would waste their time complaining about this.

Nascar24 Jan 20, 2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1337943278)
It's just not necessary. When are you going to be in a situation with your Switch where you want to stream some content and there's no other devices available? Never.

I don't know why anyone would waste their time complaining about this.

Already to many excuses going on, because it should have been ready at launch, I don't see anything different between this launch and the WiiU launch, online capabilities are garbage and they plan to charge lol, it's just one of many complaints already.

ShaidarHaran Jan 20, 2017 10:08 AM

What I would like to see from the Switch is some kind of concession to VC game owners so that we don't have to purchase VC games that we already own all over again. Wii VC games did not transfer to Wii U, if they do it again with the Switch I'm going to reconsider my support of this company.

TenFour Jan 20, 2017 01:23 PM

Regarding paying for online play...does that imply that they will be running the servers for games, or only matchmaking? No more ridiculous lag because my Splatoon games are so often hosted off someone's console in Japan?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com