Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Console Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Official Nintendo Switch Discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34033501)

nutcrackr Jan 12, 2017 11:04 PM

did they really call it joycon, so sad lol

does anybody have footage of skyrim on the switch?

night Jan 12, 2017 11:05 PM

I would assume they have to for the $$. That initial uptake in consoles is everything to 3rd parties and there is frankly no reason the game shouldn't be ready by now.....

Cyko Jan 12, 2017 11:05 PM

K...so preorders start in Japan on the 21st....no mention of when the rest of the world can pre-order.

lazyx Jan 12, 2017 11:06 PM

Games that interest me is Zelda, Xenoblade 2, Mario. that old school looking 2d\3d RPG.

Zelda is going sell a ton of system.

Cyko Jan 12, 2017 11:08 PM

So no mention of USA preorder eh? Awesome.

TenFour Jan 12, 2017 11:12 PM

Splatoon IMO justified purchasing a Wii U all on its own. So that and Zelda got me for a pre-order. You just know they are going to under-produce this thing.

But yeah, the line-up as a whole didn't get me all that hyped. If that new Squeenix game is anything like Final Fantasy Tactics (and it does have similar visuals) I'm up for that.

Lame that no new Metroid has been announced for so long. I hope that's what Retro Studios has been working on.

They showed glimpses of a bunch of games that I assume will not be launch titles. But almost the only interesting one in that bunch was a glimpse of a Mario Kart that has battle mode, which has been basically absent since MK64, and was my favorite game mode.

Grannus Jan 12, 2017 11:14 PM

I just pre-ordered Zelda at Amazon for 47.99 (prime price). I wish we'll get word about pre-orders soon. I don't want to wait in line for hours again.

lazyx Jan 12, 2017 11:17 PM

Also the price seems about right. Keep in mind Nintendo 3DS was $250. Would it be better if it was closer to $250? Yes, but you get more than what you got with the 3DS.

SirBaron Jan 12, 2017 11:45 PM

Machine looks good, games look good, but launch lineup is major lacking in titles.

dmanna Jan 12, 2017 11:53 PM

2-3 hours of battery life is pathetic. My original Surface pro thats alot more power hungry can manage 2-3 hours of watching movies and games. And thats old.

For an arm/tegra system should net you atleast 4 hours of straight gaming. I wonder why the Battery life sucks so bad.

Drunken Janitor Jan 13, 2017 12:04 AM

So... 2 launch titles? That is all. That is not nearly good enough. Does not matter if one is Zelda. Also, $400 Canadian. Oi.

GravY Jan 13, 2017 12:28 AM

Thought Zelda looked amazing. Mario looked interesting. Octopath looked cool visually.

250.00 is what I was hoping for. Accessories are pretty steep in price.

Not a day one buy for me unfortunately.

Drunken Janitor Jan 13, 2017 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY (Post 1337941257)
Thought Zelda looked amazing. Mario looked interesting. Octopath looked cool visually.

250.00 is what I was hoping for. Accessories are pretty steep in price.

Not a day one buy for me unfortunately.

Yeah. I dunno man. I was interested, but it does not look like anything is bundled. I passed on Boxing Day sale of the PS4 packaged with NHL 17 for 299.97 because I wanted to see what the Switch would do for launch. Too much money, not enough games. Steep price of what I see as needed accessories. Pretty meh.

Also, I am not interested in wagging a controller around any more, even if that is not the main focus.

SubCog Jan 13, 2017 12:44 AM

Toward the end, they show a montage that has some great looking games in it, including minecraft, rayman, mario kart, and lots of other great stuff. Why did they focus so much on 12Switch and that Boxing game? They literally took the 2 worst games and focused on them.

I just can't believe how bad the entire presentation was. Such low energy, such poor decisions about what to focus on. The conference makes it feel like there's hardly any games coming out this year, and that there will be very little 3rd party support, and that Nintendo is simply unable to build and nurture a console platform anymore.

Honestly I think the Switch will be fine, much more successful than the WiiU. But it's pretty clear that it's not going to have a ton of 3rd party support. And for anyone hoping that Nintendo has fixed its internal problems and is going to become a modern healthy company, I think we're seeing that Nintendo is still the same old Nintendo, doing everything in their weird japanese way, and would rather commit ritual suicide than do anything that's clearly right.

SirBaron Jan 13, 2017 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmanna (Post 1337941249)
2-3 hours of battery life is pathetic. My original Surface pro thats alot more power hungry can manage 2-3 hours of watching movies and games. And thats old.

For an arm/tegra system should net you atleast 4 hours of straight gaming. I wonder why the Battery life sucks so bad.

2.5 to 6 hours.

Also I think sales will be moderate at first but dead in arrival is just hyperbole. One pokemon release and holiday bundle will make this system fly. Off The shelves.

Now their online stuff, that so far looks dodgy.

SirBaron Jan 13, 2017 12:52 AM

Also to note this will be primarily a handheld machine, it will have some console titles, but those expecting proper console titles often when the machine has 32GB of storage which would last. Maybe one or 2 day one patches are on crack.

It will get a lot of Japanese 3rd party, and maybe the occasional western release, but most will not be big aaa titles.

I'll get it anyway, because my 3ds is getting old.

Sasquach Jan 13, 2017 12:56 AM

Splatoon and Mario Kart will be system sellers as well as Zelda. Mario Odyssey should be one as well.

As long as an influx of quality games and not the constant droughts that the Wii-U had I think it'll do fine. Plus the third parties will be watching. And the fact that UE4 works on it will be a big plus since most of the big name devs use that engine (even if it is a cut down version of it on the switch)

night Jan 13, 2017 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1337941265)
when the machine has 32GB of storage which would last maybe one or 2 day one patches are on crack.

Or 1 Skyrim install.

Although there are cartridges, so I doubt they will go the route of downloading full AAA size games like modern pc/console

GravY Jan 13, 2017 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken Janitor (Post 1337941260)
Yeah. I dunno man. I was interested, but it does not look like anything is bundled. I passed on Boxing Day sale of the PS4 packaged with NHL 17 for 299.97 because I wanted to see what the Switch would do for launch. Too much money, not enough games. Steep price of what I see as needed accessories. Pretty meh.

Also, I am not interested in wagging a controller around any more, even if that is not the main focus.

Seems like all the money is in everything but the tablet. Fairly disappointing.

SirBaron Jan 13, 2017 01:15 AM

The controllers seem amazing though, interested in trying HD rumble. I'm torn between getting at launch or at Xmas, though I love gadgets so I doubt I'll last.

nutcrackr Jan 13, 2017 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night (Post 1337941268)
Or 1 Skyrim install.

Skyrim is tiny, even now with Dragonborn DLC it is only 8gb. At launch it was even less, around 6gb.

oasked Jan 13, 2017 03:00 AM

Love the little controllers and glad that they still feature motion controls (which can be used, or not used depending on what the developer wants to do).

Price is a little higher than I hoped for, but not unreasonable. I will be pre-ordering I think. :)

Nascar24 Jan 13, 2017 03:05 AM

Will be surprised if this sells at this price, $199 is really what it needs to be. Weak sauce out of the gate with only Zelda, will buy that for my WiiU.

SirBaron Jan 13, 2017 06:27 AM

Price isn't a factor when it has the games but. It hasn't many , it will do OK at The start, then it will grind to a halt, HD pokemon will come sales will pick up again.

I think the switch will come into its own in the second year, 3ds also did crap at the start, but it has a great library Of games now.

I think In general people should pick it up in 2018 when it has a bundle pack of games, and when they finish the actual online stuff.

Mangler Jan 13, 2017 07:30 AM

Feels like nintendo unsold me on getting one at launch.

Drunken Janitor Jan 13, 2017 09:27 AM

I really do not know what to do. My wife and I were gamers before we had kids. Now we have a nearly 5 y.o. and twin 2 y. os.. We know that our eldest will be left behind in his peer group if he does not have some sort of system. However, he does not need right away. He just saw his first tablet game last month and has had very limited time with it.

We would like to play Zelda, but camping season is just around the corner and we just don't have the time to sit and play a game. I could squeeze in some NHL game time, but nothing that requires a couple hours of commitment.

I guess we pass on launch and wait for Christmas 2017 or beyond.

ShaidarHaran Jan 13, 2017 09:40 AM

I've been playing my 3DS a lot more lately. So much in fact that I haven't touched the Wii U in months. Games that I already own on Wii U that I do want to play, I've purchased again on 3DS. Even though I don't go too many places where I would be able to just sit and play games, simply having the ability to choose where in my house I play games is a huge bonus.

I'm actually playing the Zelda franchise from the beginning right now. About 2/3 of the way through Ocarina of Time. Given the true portability of the Switch compared to the semi-portable nature of the Wii U gamepad, and the fact that Breath of the Wild is going to be a launch title for Switch, that may be enough to convince me to buy it day one.

Those saying the price is too high have to remember that Nintendo still has the best system-seller franchises and the most of them for that matter. If sales end up being weaker than expected, they can either drop the price, pack in one of those system sellers, or both. It's not like Nintendo is doomed if the Switch doesn't outsell PS4/Xbox One. It just needs to do better than Wii U and I think they're pretty much guaranteed to do that.

Meteor_of_War Jan 13, 2017 09:46 AM

Zelda being a launch title = very smart move for Nintendo.:up:

Drunken Janitor Jan 13, 2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran (Post 1337941332)
I've been playing my 3DS a lot more lately. So much in fact that I haven't touched the Wii U in months. Games that I already own on Wii U that I do want to play, I've purchased again on 3DS. Even though I don't go too many places where I would be able to just sit and play games, simply having the ability to choose where in my house I play games is a huge bonus.

I'm actually playing the Zelda franchise from the beginning right now. About 2/3 of the way through Ocarina of Time. Given the true portability of the Switch compared to the semi-portable nature of the Wii U gamepad, and the fact that Breath of the Wild is going to be a launch title for Switch, that may be enough to convince me to buy it day one.

Those saying the price is too high have to remember that Nintendo still has the best system-seller franchises and the most of them for that matter. If sales end up being weaker than expected, they can either drop the price, pack in one of those system sellers, or both. It's not like Nintendo is doomed if the Switch doesn't outsell PS4/Xbox One. It just needs to do better than Wii U and I think they're pretty much guaranteed to do that.

The thing is, is that it has to sell rigtht away or 3rd party developers won't bother with it. It has to be a huge success in the first 2 months.

The pro controllers are going to be something like $100 Canadian. Are they out of their god damn minds???

Nascar24 Jan 13, 2017 09:59 AM

Cant say I agree price point needs to be lower then PS4/XBOX One.