Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   new phone time (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34049561)

Nunz Jun 24, 2019 04:38 AM

new phone time

Looking to go back to Android and Iím really eyeing the OnePlus 7 Pro. Anyone have one? Pros, cons? Iíve read the battery life is a bit weak but Iím not sure how weak it is compared to my iPhone 8+

I was also looking at the Note9/S10+ but I donít want to give Samsung my money. I also donít see any point in the higher price compared to the OnePlus..

Mahjik Jun 24, 2019 08:22 AM

What is the most important feature for you?

Moto phones have pretty large batteries in them if that is important to you. I've been using a Moto E5 Plus and love it. Depending on usage, I can go two days without charging. The Moto G7 is getting good reviews on battery life.

I don't really use camera functions and such so those aren't things I really look for with my phones.

Munkus Jun 24, 2019 10:17 AM

The OnePlus 7 Pro is a sweet beast. Too bad Verizon doesn't carry them yet (last I checked).

Elysian Jun 24, 2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338139164)
Looking to go back to Android and Iím really eyeing the OnePlus 7 Pro. Anyone have one? Pros, cons? Iíve read the battery life is a bit weak but Iím not sure how weak it is compared to my iPhone 8+

I was also looking at the Note9/S10+ but I donít want to give Samsung my money. I also donít see any point in the higher price compared to the OnePlus..

I love my OnePlus 6T, the 7 looks awesome.

Nunz Jun 25, 2019 12:51 AM

Battery life is pretty important, especially since I’ll be traveling a lot soon. I’m more concerned with general use being snappy. I’m not a gamer or need crazy features on my phone, just something that works, which is why I’ve been happy with the simplicity of iPhone.

Elysian Jun 25, 2019 05:41 AM

My 6T lasts 2 days minimum. It's snappy as anything else.

Mahjik Jun 25, 2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338139331)
My 6T lasts 2 days minimum. It's snappy as anything else.

You must not use it much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338139316)
Battery life is pretty important, especially since I’ll be traveling a lot soon. I’m more concerned with general use being snappy. I’m not a gamer or need crazy features on my phone, just something that works, which is why I’ve been happy with the simplicity of iPhone.

The 6T has a 3700 mAh battery which isn't small, but isn't large. The OnePlus 7 comes with a 4000 mAh battery which is a little better. Most of the Moto phones have a 5000 mAh battery.

Elysian Jun 25, 2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1338139341)
You must not use it much.

The 6T has a 3700 mAh battery which isn't small, but isn't large. The OnePlus 7 comes with a 4000 mAh battery which is a little better. Most of the Moto phones have a 5000 mAh battery.

I use it to listen to podcasts all day via Bluetooth, play Words with Friends 2, Facebook, and take calls. Usually get home with 75-80% left, but the screen on time is probably lower than some. I also use Android Auto, so it's plugged in on my 15 minute drive to and from work.

Mahjik Jun 25, 2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338139348)
so it's plugged in on my 15 minute drive to and from work.

That will do it. Your phone will likely get a 100% charge from that based on your usage and drive time.

Nunz Jun 25, 2019 06:10 PM

The OnePlus 7 Pro apparently has a warp charge feature that can 0-100 charge the phone in roughly an hour or something? Sounds cool but awful for the health of the battery over time.

I think I’m set on the OnePlus. I just have to get the small crack fixed on my current phone so TMobile will give me the full value of the phone. The upgrade will only cost me $200 out of pocket and I’ll fully own the OnePlus. Upgrade and drop my monthly bill from $125 to $95 as I’ll lose the $30/month payment towards the iPhone. Looking forward to that ..

Also, just how good is Android Auto? Depends on the headunit more than anything, I’m assuming? I’m looking at upgrading the headunit in the Subaru because the base package one is awful and I have BT connectivity issues, and since I’m grabbing the OnePlus I’ll likely go with an Android Auto capable unit. Is it worth the extra price tacked on for the capability?

Elysian Jun 25, 2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338139422)
The OnePlus 7 Pro apparently has a warp charge feature that can 0-100 charge the phone in roughly an hour or something? Sounds cool but awful for the health of the battery over time.

I think Iím set on the OnePlus. I just have to get the small crack fixed on my current phone so TMobile will give me the full value of the phone. The upgrade will only cost me $200 out of pocket and Iíll fully own the OnePlus. Upgrade and drop my monthly bill from $125 to $95 as Iíll lose the $30/month payment towards the iPhone. Looking forward to that ..

Also, just how good is Android Auto? Depends on the headunit more than anything, Iím assuming? Iím looking at upgrading the headunit in the Subaru because the base package one is awful and I have BT connectivity issues, and since Iím grabbing the OnePlus Iíll likely go with an Android Auto capable unit. Is it worth the extra price tacked on for the capability?

Android Auto is awesome, and the experience is universal, completely independent of what head unit you use. It will have the exact same interface as my Colorado.

Nunz Jun 25, 2019 06:27 PM

Would you consider it a “couldn’t-live-without” feature?

Elysian Jun 25, 2019 10:26 PM

Absolutely. I don't go back to not having it.

Nunz Jun 26, 2019 09:48 AM

Will keep that in mind. Wireless Android Auto connectivity seems to cause a significant price increase. Will let you know how it goes. I’m expecting to change out some new speakers w/ the headunit

Elysian Jun 26, 2019 11:26 AM

I don't mind the wire. The reason wireless has a significant price increase is because the head unit has to have a LOT more processing power.

metroidfox Jun 27, 2019 08:26 AM

I find Android Auto fairly taxing on my phone. Wouldn't want to use it wirelessly.

Elysian Jun 27, 2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metroidfox (Post 1338139690)
I find Android Auto fairly taxing on my phone. Wouldn't want to use it wirelessly.

I had that experience on my Essential, but my OnePlus 6T handles it pretty effortlessly.

bill dennison Jun 30, 2019 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338139535)
I don't mind the wire. The reason wireless has a significant price increase is because the head unit has to have a LOT more processing power.

my kenwood will do wireless Android Auto but my note 8 won't :mad:

may switch back to iPhone next time

Elysian Jun 30, 2019 11:48 AM

Maybe just don't buy Samsung...

CurrentlyPissed Jul 2, 2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338140306)
Maybe just don't buy Samsung...

I use to think this, in fact you can probably even search some of my past post and fine me bashing Samsung due to the amount of bloat, and just crap the phones were. (Like the wifes S7 edge). However the S8+ has been solid, and I still get more than a full day out of the battery with moderate use. I'm surprised it hasn't degraded yet.

However my S8+ does Android Auto, my Note 5 did aswell. I can't imagine the Note 8 not doing it?

Nunz Jul 2, 2019 11:18 AM

Your note5 did not do wireless Android Auto. Your S8+ likely doesn’t either. Wireless takes a lot of juice

bill dennison Jul 2, 2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338140611)
Your note5 did not do wireless Android Auto. Your S8+ likely doesnít either. Wireless takes a lot of juice

but wireless carplay works with all iphones I think :hmm:

Nunz Jul 2, 2019 02:29 PM

I don’t think it works with the 5 or 6 series, possibly even the 7.

No research to back that up, but I’d be surprised if it did.

demo Jul 10, 2019 07:28 AM

I got an S10e. Awesome phone and camera is the best.. but aside from that, just your run of the mill Samsung android pos. IMHO I would look for better options... except the case! It's awesome, it displays messages with LEDs, and can swipe calls etc without opening the cover.. I need a cover for my cover.

pax Jul 10, 2019 04:13 PM

Still like my mid range Xiaomi Mi Max 3. Huge battery sometimes lasts 5 days. I dont game on it but it can run some basic games. Screen is useless in the sun but I paid 363$ taxes and shipped CAD. Huge 7" screen tho which I love.

Nunz Oct 2, 2019 10:40 AM

so I ended up never getting the new phone.

OnePlus is releasing the OnePlus 7T on Oct 18th for $599. My iPhone 8 Plus screen finally cracked and it pisses me off looking at it.

I'm thinking the 7T will do nicely ..

Munkus Oct 2, 2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338154873)
so I ended up never getting the new phone.

OnePlus is releasing the OnePlus 7T on Oct 18th for $599. My iPhone 8 Plus screen finally cracked and it pisses me off looking at it.

I'm thinking the 7T will do nicely ..

It's a shame that Verizon doesn't support/sell that phone. It's pretty sweet. Sadly it's only available through T-Mobile, which is crap in my area.

Athena Oct 10, 2019 04:36 PM

Hmm, loved my old Essential phone but the new on looks like a pass with the current info that is out there.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/essent...lliant-colors/

Android1 Oct 10, 2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338154886)
It's a shame that Verizon doesn't support/sell that phone. It's pretty sweet. Sadly it's only available through T-Mobile, which is crap in my area.

The unlocked 7 Pro is certified for use with Verizon. I would not think that the 7T is too far behind.

Nunz Oct 11, 2019 08:50 PM

Oof. Cracked the **** out of my screen just now. Won’t be waiting until the 18th for the 7T now .. will see if T Mobile is still selling the 7 Pro..