Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   [MERGED] Apple iPhone 4S (and other announced products) (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33982089)

Shadowless Oct 4, 2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1336714644)
What an underwhelming event.

But, they'll still sell millions of these "new" phones.

The only thing it shares is the front camera, screen, and chasis. Rear camera and innerds are completely new. 1GB RAM, Dual-Core, etc.

wc326 Oct 4, 2011 02:43 PM

the phone is not bad at all, just the 3.5 inch screen makes me think again.

Jamar Oct 4, 2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wc326 (Post 1336714641)
Sprint iPhone officially announced: on sale October 14

Thanks. I'm up for an upgrade and my phone is half-dead so I need to replace it soon. I'm not sure if I'm going to get this or the Galaxy.

AdelphiaX Oct 4, 2011 02:43 PM

That basically settles it, my upgrade due up... kind of now, will be android based.

Razeus Oct 4, 2011 02:43 PM

I'm off to the Apple forums at Macrumors. Let the bitching begin.

_TiTaNiuM Oct 4, 2011 02:44 PM

Honestly this **** with the product cycle is ****ed. being at 16 months, If you bought an iPhone 4 the day/week it came out, you need to wait two more months to get the 4S, or pay the half upgrade price. If you want to wait for the next phone, you'll probably have to wait another 16 months for the iPhone 5, leaving you contract free for 8 months but with an aging dinosaur phone.

Razeus Oct 4, 2011 02:44 PM

we have a thread for this...

Chuki Oct 4, 2011 02:44 PM

Wow, and sprint ordered some $20 billion worth of these things? Good bye unlimited data, and cheaper plans. They're gonna have to do that to cover that loss, if they can at all.

_TiTaNiuM Oct 4, 2011 02:45 PM

iPhone 5, Coming April 2013.

Razeus Oct 4, 2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM (Post 1336714656)
Honestly this **** with the product cycle is ****ed. being at 16 months, If you bought an iPhone 4 the day/week it came out, you need to wait two more months to get the 4S, or pay the half upgrade price. If you want to wait for the next phone, you'll probably have to wait another 16 months for the iPhone 5, leaving you contract free for 8 months but with an aging dinosaur phone.

I'm sure it'll be a 12 month cycle...

I feel this move was to move the iPhone in Christmas selling season territory.

A 16 month cycle would make iPhone 6 a 2013 product. Investors aren't having that. Especially when Google now owns Motorola.

Razeus Oct 4, 2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuki (Post 1336714659)
Wow, and sprint ordered some $20 billion worth of these things? Good bye unlimited data, and cheaper plans. They're gonna have to do that to cover that loss, if they can at all.

That's how many they'll buy over 5 years, whether they can sell them or not. And giving Apple $20 billion and not even get so much as a slide with their logo on it is a slap in the ****ing face.

A2597 Oct 4, 2011 02:48 PM

Because the iphone 4 is an aging dinosaur of a phone?

haha.
Seriously, it's a small refresh, but they always are. And I'm happier with a 3.5in screen. I mean, half of those android phones out there are so freaking huge I couldn't comfortably carry it in my pocket! I think Apple knows they are at the right size, just like they called the 7in / 8in tablet as being too small to differentiate itself from the smart phone market.

Say what you will about apple, but they know their audience, and they are the best innovators in the tech market today.
(I say this and the only apple products I've ever owned are a single ipod and a single iphone)

Razeus Oct 4, 2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A2597 (Post 1336714671)

haha.
Seriously, it's a small refresh, but they always are. And I'm happier with a 3.5in screen. I mean, half of those android phones out there are so freaking huge I couldn't comfortably carry it in my pocket! I think Apple knows they are at the right size, just like they called the 7in / 8in tablet as being too small to differentiate itself from the smart phone market.

Say what you will about apple, but they know their audience, and they are the best innovators in the tech market today.
(I say this and the only apple products I've ever owned are a single ipod and a single iphone)

They can still keep the same size and give us an extra .5". Not a big deal though. 8MP is nice, but not quite there yet. Apps won't be taking advantage of the the A5 chip for at least several months anyway. iOS 5 is fully functional on iPhone 4 so why bother "upgrading". There's nothing my iPhone 4 can't do that Android phone can't do, even 12 months from now.

hordaktheman Oct 4, 2011 02:52 PM

You guys want forced obsolescence?

The current 4 is still a damned fine phone. I'm just glad that most of the upgrades are software based so that I can continue to use it.

Razeus Oct 4, 2011 02:54 PM

My AAPL stock is taking a beating.

raziel Oct 4, 2011 02:54 PM

Recap of Today's Apple Event

1. iOS5 Released October 12, 2011
  2. iPod Nano gets multi touch, new clock faces, pedometer, and a price drop. iPod Classic line is killed off.
  3. iTouch still at 64GB max, A5 chip, and will come in white
  4. iPhone 4S is announced, 7X faster graphics, than iPhone 4 with A5 Chip, and guess what… it looks EXACTLY the same as the iPhone 4!
  5. iPhone 4S has better camera ay 8MP, and faster download speeds up to 14.4MB taking advantage of HSDPA
  6. iPhone 4S fixes antenna problem for voice quality and WiFi, AirPlay Mirroring, 1080p video recording, and voice assistant Siri built in.
  7. “Wake me up tomorrow at 6am” prompts Siri to set a new alarm for you for 6am in the clock app
  8. iPhone 4S goes up to 64GB at $399!!!
  9. Sprint iPhone officially announced: on sale October 14.
  10. Also available on Verizon and AT&T, pre-order October 7th

Sazar Oct 4, 2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1336714649)
The only thing it shares is the front camera, screen, and chasis. Rear camera and innerds are completely new. 1GB RAM, Dual-Core, etc.

And pretty much everything offered has been on the market for ages on Android devices.

Siri is used by most iPhone users already, I know I have had it since it was first available. The integration happens to be better but outside of that, there is very little to be enthused about.

I was hoping for the 4" screen to at least make it seem worthwhile. I have 2 accounts, I have an iPhone 4 on one and an older 3 on the other which I was going to upgrade in a month or two. She wants an iPhone so who knows, I might give her mine and go Android myself...

_TiTaNiuM Oct 4, 2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A2597 (Post 1336714671)

haha.

It will be when the 5 comes out. Look at how **** the 3G was when the 4 hit. Baaaad.
Even if the hiccup 16month is over and 12 months further thats 4 months of contract dead zone.

You can wait til your contract is way up next July and get a 4s at full upgrade and screw yourself for the 5 or 6

wc326 Oct 4, 2011 02:56 PM

ipod touch comes in a5 chip??

i thought they didn't upgrade the hardware

did they upgrade it to a5 chip? since some engadget comment say there are no upgrade to hardware, and some other site said it will be a5 chip

_TiTaNiuM Oct 4, 2011 02:56 PM

Product cycle not matching contract cycle is just going to piss people off. I know I'm not too happy that's for sure. Can't be the only one who sees a problem with this.

shrike126 Oct 4, 2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1336714681)
My AAPL stock is taking a beating.

And how!

Damn look at that thing plummet! :eek:

Razeus Oct 4, 2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM (Post 1336714686)
It will be when the 5 comes out. Look at how **** the 3G was when the 4 hit. Baaaad.
Even if the hiccup 16month is over and 12 months further thats 4 months of contract dead zone.

You can wait til your contract is way up next July and get a 4s at full upgrade and screw yourself for the 5 or 6

But people will just wait for the iPhone 6 if it's just a few months out of contract....

Sazar Oct 4, 2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hordaktheman (Post 1336714676)
You guys want forced obsolescence?

Apple does this directly through the iOS updates anyways.

_TiTaNiuM Oct 4, 2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1336714696)
But people will just wait for the iPhone 6 if it's just a few months out of contract....

Wait another two years? No thanks.

Razeus Oct 4, 2011 03:00 PM

Vfck.

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

Shadowless Oct 4, 2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1336714658)
we have a thread for this...

No, you have a thread for the event, not the phone.

Razeus Oct 4, 2011 03:02 PM

You're kidding me right?

Sazar Oct 4, 2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM (Post 1336714700)
Wait another two years? No thanks.

What gets me are all the rumors about the 5.

What happened? They even had case mock-ups and that one Asian guy speaking fluent german who demoed the aluminum/glass chassis they machined as a sample.

Are they just not done fixing it up? Were all the rumors about the curved edges and thinner body based on the iPod Touch?

It's really weird.

wc326 Oct 4, 2011 03:05 PM

when i play games on the ipod touch 4g.. my finger already covered 30% of the screen..

Razeus Oct 4, 2011 03:06 PM

Ya, those case rumors got out of hand. Perhaps set up by Apple themselves to throw people off.