Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   [MERGED] Apple iPhone 4S (and other announced products) (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33982089)

Perky McGiggles Oct 2, 2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVanks (Post 1336712549)
Are you seriously thinking that Apple, the company with a 400 dollar stock is going to go up and say "In a year, we've made the iPhone 4S, with just more ram and bigger screen"

They wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot.

They totally would, they just wouldn't be as honest as that. ;)

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/01/...t-itunes-beta/

BackToPC Oct 2, 2011 09:08 PM

they fixed the antenna issue, upgrade the specs a little. that's enough to keep the iphone train rolling for another year easily.

VVanks Oct 2, 2011 09:23 PM

Not with the kind of competition ramping up. Apple is starting to become RIM, if they keep selling iPhone 4 compared to

HTC Sensation
Galaxy S2
Nexus prime
Android 4.0

They're doomed to failure. They've already come out with iOS 5, they need a new bigger splash screen. What are they going to talk about on Tuesday? This is pretty big in terms of investor interest, Steve Jobs steps down and all the team could come up with is... a rehashed phone from last year with a shitty antenna design?

If they come out with just the iPhone 4S, Apple stocks are gonna go tumbling.

Rumors are just rumors, they're clearly holding something close to their chest.

shrike126 Oct 2, 2011 09:33 PM

I think it's important to not overlook the "Let's talk iPhone" teaser. :bleh2:

Jamar Oct 2, 2011 09:34 PM

Damn you and your cryptic innuendo!!!

Sazar Oct 2, 2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVanks (Post 1336712549)
Yeah but competition was seriously stepped up. Are you seriously thinking that Apple, the company with a 400 dollar stock is going to go up and say "In a year, we've made the iPhone 4S, with just more ram and bigger screen"

They wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot.

Apple's stock is not where it is because of how awesome their products are. Their stock is where it is because of the ability of Apple to move products over the past few years regardless of the actual quality of it.

Investors clearly believe that Apple will move millions of the new iPhone's regardless of the actual features. The new capacitive swipe home-button, the tapered design and all that are going to be touted as magical and innovative, Apple fans who don't use other products and don't know about the similar and much earlier implementation of the same from the competitors and will lap it up and the phones will continue to be purchased by the flocks.

In the office, I have had several conversations with fellow iPhone users at work. I am pretty much burnt out on my iPhone 4. It's not so much the actual hard-ware, which I think still looks awesome and works perfectly for my needs. No, it is more to do with the lack of innovation on the OS front. WinMo and Android are so far ahead of what is offered to the end-user, it's sad. But, that hasn't dissuaded most of my colleagues.

The iPhone came out, it wasn't bad but it was severly limited. The iPhone 3G was a bigger step up, but it was just minor revisions, the antennae was the only big news and even there it was just meeting the standards set by the competition. The OS was bigger news. The iPhone3GS likewise had minimal improvements.

Only with the iPhone 4 did we see a bigger improvement on the product, but most of it was limited to the screen (which at the time was better than the competition) and implementation of a camera with flash. Since the original iPhone came out, how many massive leaps have there been in the actual product?

FINALLY, several years after the original, we are likely to see a larger screen. And perhaps some other minor things to catch up to the competition. We'll find out in a couple of days just how amazing and magical the product is, but I am not holding my breath. The phone is so far behind the competition, it will need to hit it out of the ballpark to be considered a leap forward.

HAL10000 Oct 2, 2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1336712608)
Apple's stock is not where it is because of how awesome their products are. Their stock is where it is because of the ability of Apple to move products over the past few years regardless of the actual quality of it.

Apple products are always well received and some of us have been repeat Apple customers with few (if any) quality problems.

However, Apple, like Germany, look better than than many simply because everyone else is doing worse. It's easy to gain marketshare in the PC space if Apple is competing against cheap mass-produced undifferentiated crap pushed out the door.

Apple seems to be at that right place at the right time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1336712608)
The phone is so far behind the competition, it will need to hit it out of the ballpark to be considered a leap forward.

...and yet they ONLY sell 1,000,000+ units on the first day. Some of their competitors can only DREAM of something like that.

Sazar Oct 2, 2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAL10000 (Post 1336712628)
Apple products are always well received and some of us have been repeat Apple customers with few (if any) quality problems.

The same problems I have right now? With the proximity sensor? The same one that Steve Jobs promised would be fixed a year ago and never was? If the same kinds of problems exist with other products, people change them.

If it happens with an Apple product, most users just ignore it for the privledge of use. You're comparing apples to oranges, no pun intended.

Quote:

However, Apple, like Germany, look better than than many simply because everyone else is doing worse. It's easy to gain marketshare in the PC space if Apple is competing against cheap mass-produced undifferentiated crap pushed out the door.
I don't get the Germany reference, but there are different markets out there, non-monopolized of-course. Boutique manufacturers maintain quality the same or better than Apple's. You also have lower-priced products that obviously will have more inexpensive stuff. Again, apples to oranges.

Quote:

Apple seems to be at that right place at the right time.
They have had some good products, i.e. iPod and iPhone/iPad. There is no question. But as with everything, there are other products on the market that existed before and are out there now that offer a lot more for less.

Quote:

...and yet they ONLY sell 1,000,000+ units on the first day. Some of their competitors can only DREAM of something like that.
Sales != quality. The iPhone is behind the times and needs a serious refresh, both on the hardware and on the operating system, ESPECIALLY the operating system. I have heard a lot about the hardware and it is well and good because Apple's refresh cycle leaves them behind the curve a lot of the time. But, I haven't heard much on the OS front and that has been the biggest disappointment. WinMo and Android have both pushed their OS's way ahead of the curve, Apple hopefully will at least catch back up.

wc326 Oct 2, 2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVanks (Post 1336712270)
Why?? What the hell is a quad core going to do that a single core on a frigging CELLPHONE isn't already doing?

I've used Nexus S and the HTC Sensation. I see no difference in performance. In fact HTC actually runs a bit slower.

i think it is due to the fact that we are only running on a 2.2 or 2.3 system

once we get 4.0 which enable hardware accerlation on everthing.

you will see a huge difference.

and wihtout the dual core or quad core.. you wont' be able to see youtube 1080p smoothly:)

Chuck Oct 3, 2011 01:19 AM

Wish they slim down the design w/ iPhone 5. iPhone 4 looks like a fat-a** compared to Galaxy S2.

wc326 Oct 3, 2011 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 1336712765)
Wish they slim down the design w/ iPhone 5. iPhone 4 looks like a fat-a** compared to Galaxy S2.

galaxy s 2 is just one special device, really no other highend oone is as thin and as light.

BBA Oct 3, 2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAL10000 (Post 1336712628)

Hmmm....I have a 'few' apple products with quality problems.

BBA Oct 3, 2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wc326 (Post 1336712815)
galaxy s 2 is just one special device, really no other highend oone is as thin and as light.

I played with a Galaxy S2 on a trip out of town this weekend...that is one awesome phone. I may have to buy one for myself.

Razeus Oct 3, 2011 09:39 AM

It'll be interesting to see what else is announced at the event. Rumors is that Facebook will be there presenting some new stuff for their apps.

If any of these cell makers wanted to do some real damage, they would go ahead and buy Kodak (how on earth are they still in business???) and put those lame brains out of their misery. They should easily go for a billion in chump change for Apple or Google.

Razeus Oct 3, 2011 02:45 PM

I'm starting to wonder why Apple is not going all out for this event. It has me worried.

When I first so the event art, "Let's talk iPhone", it sounded like a matter of fact, let's set the record straight type of deal. Something serious, but nothing to bust a nut about, like their usual events.

Being that they didn't bother to rent out a nice big place to hold it, and instead do the event on Apple campus just screams something is up. Now I'm hearing they aren't even going to live stream it, as it has become their custom to do so.

Maybe they don't want to over hype it. Maybe there won't be an iPhone at all this year.

Seriously, wtf is this crap:

Jamar Oct 3, 2011 02:46 PM

Why would they bother having an event at all if they weren't going to announce an iPhone? All that would do is piss off your customers.

Razeus Oct 3, 2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamar (Post 1336713297)
Why would they bother having an event at all if they weren't going to announce an iPhone? All that would do is piss off your customers.

Well I'm sure they'll announce it. But they sure are being nonchalant about this.

VVanks Oct 3, 2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wc326 (Post 1336712728)
i think it is due to the fact that we are only running on a 2.2 or 2.3 system

once we get 4.0 which enable hardware accerlation on everthing.

you will see a huge difference.

and wihtout the dual core or quad core.. you wont' be able to see youtube 1080p smoothly:)

What the hell do I need 1080p for on a 720p screen? That's absolutely useless and bonkers.

VVanks Oct 3, 2011 02:55 PM

Steve Jobs left. That's what happened Raz.

Razeus Oct 3, 2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVanks (Post 1336713304)
Steve Jobs left. That's what happened Raz.

I guess I'm having a hard time coming to grips with it all.

wc326 Oct 3, 2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVanks (Post 1336713303)
What the hell do I need 1080p for on a 720p screen? That's absolutely useless and bonkers.

i use my phone with hdmi out at night and i like the fact that it can play 720p video smoothy so 1080 will even be beteer

and if you have a android tablet, you will see 1080p does look better than 720p vidoe on youtube even with the tablet 1280 x 800 display, but those tegra 2 gpu just doesn't play it smoothly.

so even if it is only on a 720p display the 1080p source will give you better image quality.

shoman24v Oct 3, 2011 03:28 PM

The iPhone really was a game changer when it came out. That is for sure. But, I believe they are doomed because of their initial success. Products are becoming repetitive, the OS isn't advancing. iOS on the iPhone is no different than the iPad, or iPod. It is the same across every device.

Ok, so let's say the make the phone bigger. To me, it's still going to be more of the same.

Now that iOS will be on other carriers we'll start seeing the fragmentation issue that people like to say plagues Android.

iPhone 5 or 4S (whatever) will be strong in the first month but after that it will settle.

shrike126 Oct 3, 2011 03:58 PM

And the rumor of the day award goes to...

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/03/sprint...5-exclusively/

shrike126 Oct 3, 2011 04:22 PM

WSJ seems to be reporting it...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

So basically Sprint goes from being rumored to get iPhone 5 to Sprint rumored to get ALL of them. :eek:

huskylord Oct 3, 2011 04:42 PM

They're going ALL IN!

shoman24v Oct 3, 2011 05:48 PM

Nobody buys, Sprint collapses :lol:

Ciera Oct 3, 2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 1336712765)

looking at pics of the cases coming out for it, certainly looks like they slimmed it down a good bit

Elysian Oct 3, 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoman24v (Post 1336713493)
Nobody buys, Sprint collapses :lol:

That wouldn't be a good thing for Apple so I don't think it's gonna happen :lol: We've already seen the sheep switch carriers for the iPhone!

Jamar Oct 3, 2011 07:10 PM

Guess we find out tomorrow...

Sasquach Oct 3, 2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVanks (Post 1336713303)

MOAR POWERS!!!!