Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   [MERGED] Apple iPhone 4S (and other announced products) (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33982089)

Razeus Oct 5, 2011 10:12 AM

I wish iOS 5 had a User Account feature for the iPad. It badly needs one, since my girl and son like overtaking mine.

pahncrd Oct 5, 2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1336715698)
I wish iOS 5 had a User Account feature for the iPad. It badly needs one, since my girl and son like overtaking mine.

That would certainly be a nifty addition as I too have a family that is constantly pawing my ipad. :lol:

Perky McGiggles Oct 5, 2011 10:42 AM


pahncrd Oct 5, 2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles (Post 1336715741)

:lol: Totally, one time a guy thought I was using a first gen iPad, and so I raped his anus for insulting me.

Jamar Oct 5, 2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pahncrd (Post 1336715748)
:lol: Totally, one time a guy thought I was using a first gen iPad, and so I raped his anus for insulting me.

I have last years iPad... :cry:

train2win Oct 5, 2011 11:15 AM

When can I walk into Rogers and get a 4S?

_TiTaNiuM Oct 5, 2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1336715691)
I still plan to. I don't expect the iPhone 4S to look like S95, especially since the S95 offers RAW format in which I can tweak it to death, but for what I use it for - it really only gets used in low light gatherings - the S95 is overkill anyway. It really only gets used in low light gatherings anyway. Please the ease and convenience of getting the photos to were they eventually end up (Facebook, Twitter) is a big plus. I'm calling shens on the shots they put up online though. I'm going to move into the 32GB version, I usually get the 16GB.

I think there are two types of people in this world. Those with DSLRs and those that haven't seen the light yet.

The P&S is an antiquated middle ground, entry level device to snap shots for people with very little photographic ability or desire. It's very utilitarian. The higher end P&S boggle my mind even further.

They lack serious social networking features today, and there are many users that take pictures to share to friends, not to print up or put on the wall, and while P&S IQ is far superior to a cell phone, they lack every single little bit of sharing ability even the most basic camera/smart phones have.

As camera phones are/have gotten better, the market for the P&S will shrink.
It's not great, but it's not bad either, and in one click it's up on facebook for everyone to see.

If you want to get real about photography, a 4/3, DSLR, or prosumer P&S is more the way to go.

There are still a lot of people out there on ****** old phones with ****** old cameras, but with all the most recent android devices and this new iPhone's (greatly) updated camera, I think we'll see the P&S market shrink further.

Why carry a camera that you need to go home, plug into your computer, copy, transfer, and subsequently upload a photo to facebook/twitter/flickr/whatever when you have a device that takes a pretty decent picture already, and will do it in about 10 seconds without a second step?

I think we may actually see camera manufacturers try and find a way to stay relevent in the coming 5 years. I don't think you'll see too many people with a device that says Canon/Nikon/Sony(camera) on it that aren't photogs. A decade from now they'll probably be mostly phased out. Mark my words.

Elysian Oct 5, 2011 11:29 AM

So I've been thinking about this update and the reaction from the Apple loyal... All I can say is :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys got your expectations pumped up so much by stupid rumors and when it turned out it was a spec bumped iPhone 4? You whined and complained so damned much. You know what the Droid 2 was to the Droid 1? It was a spec bumped Droid with a slightly modified case. Did people whine and complain because Moto didn't go all out? No, they bought the Droid 2, because it was a solid upgrade. Same with the Droid X to the Droid X2.

The iPhone 4S is a solid as hell upgrade. The A5 is likely the strongest GPU in any smartphone. The design of the iPhone 4 wasn't terrible, so why change it right now? Oh no, the screen isn't bigger! You guys haven't wanted a bigger screen with any other generation iPhone, why would you expect one now?

Here's my advice to you... Don't listen to rumors anymore and take them as gospel or set any kind of expectation based on them.

Razeus Oct 5, 2011 11:31 AM

^
And the best part about smartphone photos is that I can tweak (basically constrast and saturation) while riding in the car and then post. No need to wait until I get home and fiddle with machinery just to get them to FB. Afterall, FB is not the place for high quality photos any way, but I like to think my photo posts are MUCH better than most. Besides when I do post high quality DSLR pics to Facebook, Facebook compresses it even further so the pics don't look as good as they do on Flickr.

The death of the P&S started. Why on earth they are still making P&S cameras without social features and wi-fi is beyond me.

Razeus Oct 5, 2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1336715807)
So I've been thinking about this update and the reaction from the Apple loyal... All I can say is :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys got your expectations pumped up so much by stupid rumors and when it turned out it was a spec bumped iPhone 4? You whined and complained so damned much. You know what the Droid 2 was to the Droid 1? It was a spec bumped Droid with a slightly modified case. Did people whine and complain because Moto didn't go all out? No, they bought the Droid 2, because it was a solid upgrade. Same with the Droid X to the Droid X2.

The iPhone 4S is a solid as hell upgrade. The A5 is likely the strongest GPU in any smartphone. The design of the iPhone 4 wasn't terrible, so why change it right now? Oh no, the screen isn't bigger! You guys haven't wanted a bigger screen with any other generation iPhone, why would you expect one now?

Here's my advice to you... Don't listen to rumors anymore and take them as gospel or set any kind of expectation based on them.

Ya, I'm done with rumors. This time it was way out of hand. I believe blogs are just making stuff up these days to drive traffic and ad revenue. I know this now. None of those designs where even close. Even the cases where wrong. It was just your basic (and still sexy) iPhone 4 design. How the heck they get that wrong????? Now the blogs are saying "oh, that's a prototype that was "lost" at Foxconn." Whatever man. I know you're trying to make those ad dollars now and you really have no basis for the data you're spewing.

After calming down, the iPhone 4S is a solid upgrade. The expectations were way too high. Putting it next to the best Android phones out there, it matches up evenly and still one of the fast (if not fastest) and best resolution phones on the market.

Elysian Oct 5, 2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1336715816)

and best resolution phones on the market.

That's about to change, 4.5" 1280x720 screens are already being prototyped :D 320dpi(ok slightly lower than iPhone 4S, but it's 720p ffs! :lol: )

DorXtar Oct 5, 2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1336715822)
That's about to change, 4.5" 1280x720 screens are already being prototyped :D 320dpi(ok slightly lower than iPhone 4S, but it's 720p ffs! :lol: )

Most apple geeks wear glasses anyhow. They literally can't see the difference. That includes the raz.

Razeus Oct 5, 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorXtar (Post 1336715826)
Most apple geeks wear glasses anyhow. They literally can't see the difference. That includes the raz.

LASIK bitsh

Chuck Oct 5, 2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1336715822)
That's about to change, 4.5" 1280x720 screens are already being prototyped :D 320dpi(ok slightly lower than iPhone 4S, but it's 720p ffs! :lol: )

Holy crap better sell my Galaxy S2 fast. Second-hand value dropping in 3...2... damn! Already too late. :bleh:

BTW thinking of pre-ordering the 4S whenever I can. Should I get the white or black? Can't decide.

Razeus Oct 5, 2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 1336715831)
Holy crap better sell my Galaxy S2 fast. Second-hand value dropping in 3...2... damn! Already too late. :bleh:

BTW thinking of pre-ordering the 4S whenever I can. Should I get the white or black? Can't decide.

32gb black for me. 16gb white for my girl.

pahncrd Oct 5, 2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorXtar (Post 1336715826)
Most apple geeks wear glasses anyhow. They literally can't see the difference. That includes the raz.

Higher resolution is nice, but the retina screen got a lot of support very quickly. Will 720p resolution get compatible apps? I often wonder how apps deal with the different android resolutions. Are they able to scale most of the time?

Tbh the retina screen is beautiful, but it is a bit overkill as far as what I am impressed by. The ipad 2 has only 1024x768 and it is still wonderful, as are many android phones.

High quality screens are certainly something we are spoiled by anymore. I love it.

Elysian Oct 5, 2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pahncrd (Post 1336715835)
Higher resolution is nice, but the retina screen got a lot of support very quickly. Will 720p resolution get compatible apps? I often wonder how apps deal with the different android resolutions. Are they able to scale most of the time?

Tbh the retina screen is beautiful, but it is a bit overkill as far as what I am impressed by. The ipad 2 has only 1024x768 and it is still wonderful, as are many android phones.

High quality screens are certainly something we are spoiled by anymore. I love it.

Android already handles scaling quite well. That's the reason I could run 90% of the apps in the Market on my Xoom at launch. Most of them scaled in such a way that it was still actually ideal for a tablet. Android apps can also be made to give different layouts based on what platform the APK is run on. This can be seen in the Google Voice app, the same APK that is on phones is now on Honeycomb, but the layout is different when it's run on Honeycomb vs the phone.

pahncrd Oct 5, 2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1336715840)
Android already handles scaling quite well. That's the reason I could run 90% of the apps in the Market on my Xoom at launch. Most of them scaled in such a way that it was still actually ideal for a tablet. Android apps can also be made to give different layouts based on what platform the APK is run on. This can be seen in the Google Voice app, the same APK that is on phones is now on Honeycomb, but the layout is different when it's run on Honeycomb vs the phone.

Well that's good to hear.

DorXtar Oct 5, 2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1336715827)
LASIK bitsh

Friend got lasik. I can still see better than him.

ViCyniC Oct 5, 2011 02:28 PM

iPhone 4S is technically impressive compared to last phone. Their next phone needs to move up to a 4" screen though, at least.

Jamar Oct 5, 2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViCyniC (Post 1336716026)
iPhone 4S is technically impressive compared to last phone. Their next phone needs to move up to a 4" screen though, at least.

In the end that is my only complaint. I don't mind the look of the iPhone. The internal upgrades seem to be a big step up. Dual core processor, more RAM, better antennas, longer battery life. The design could have stayed the same and moved to a 4 inch screen.

I'm going to try and pre-order one anyways and order one of those extended battery cases. I have a bad habit of forgetting to charge my phone. :o

somewon Oct 5, 2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVanks (Post 1336714798)
My dream laptop:

Retina display 15 inch
2560x1600px
4gb ram / hdd (that I'll upgrade to 8gb / 240gb ssd)
Macbook air like design (no cd rom)

That's pretty much all I need for everything right now. I do development work, no need for gaming etc.

Only tools use the term "retina display". :nag:
What the hell is that even supposed to mean. :nuts:

On a tech forum where we should know our resolutions down to the pixel level, we don't need to lower ourselves into using phrases born out of Apple's marketing department.

pahncrd Oct 5, 2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewon (Post 1336716091)
Only tools use the term "retina display". :nag:
What the hell is that even supposed to mean. :nuts:

On a tech forum where we should know our resolutions down to the pixel level, we don't need to lower ourselves into using phrases born out of Apple's marketing department.

U mad bro? :D

Also, VVanks may be a tool, but dammit, he's my tool.

VVanks Oct 5, 2011 03:22 PM

Apple really shot themselves in the foot with the iPhone 4S.

Apple's competition is now so fierce all they can do is file lawsuits again them.

Originally, the iPhone was leaps and bounds above others simply because they had the technological advantage.

Better touch screen, better UI, better OS, better design.

Now that the Android market has caught up with just as good touch screen, better hardware, arguably as good design and just as powerful OS, the iPhone is starting to really dwindle.

Unlike the iPod war, the iPhone was is something that Apple has a real chance of losing. Without Steve Jobs' reality distortion field, Apple is going to really have to start ramping up its R&D department.

pahncrd Oct 5, 2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorXtar (Post 1336715905)
Friend got lasik. I can still see better than him.

Yeah, well I am a cyborg since I wear contacts. They give me better than 20/20 sight to boot. So you can shove that eyesight superiority complex right in its respective port. :evil: :p

pahncrd Oct 5, 2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVanks (Post 1336716096)
Apple really shot themselves in the foot with the iPhone 4S.

Apple's competition is now so fierce all they can do is file lawsuits again them.

Originally, the iPhone was leaps and bounds above others simply because they had the technological advantage.

Better touch screen, better UI, better OS, better design.

Now that the Android market has caught up with just as good touch screen, better hardware, arguably as good design and just as powerful OS, the iPhone is starting to really dwindle.

Unlike the iPod war, the iPhone was is something that Apple has a real chance of losing. Without Steve Jobs' reality distortion field, Apple is going to really have to start ramping up its R&D department.

I'm not defending Apple's lawsuits, as I think patent law it is disgusting. However, the iPhone 4S is now the most powerful smartphone in existence. It has best in its class battery life, has a great camera and unprecedented app selection. Android wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today without competition from Apple, and visa versa. If anything we should appreciate having different high quality players now.

Razeus Oct 5, 2011 04:22 PM

It just shows that Android devices come out too fast and too many. When Apple can simply launch the hardware in a week and still smash the competition just on specs, that's just crazy. They didn't even break a sweat to beat the best from Samsung - that A5 chip is flat out amazing.

We all now that Apple has their inventory supply chain down cold (the basic own the flash memory market and can send it crumbling in an instant) and perhaps this is why they can do this. Apple can charge an extra $100 for memory when it costs them only $25 to double the storage capacity - insane profit margins and why Apple is making the most money.

train2win Oct 5, 2011 04:25 PM

WHEN CAN I WALK INTO ROGERS AND GET THIS PHONE???

Razeus Oct 5, 2011 04:27 PM

...can't you call Rogers and ask? AT&T and Verizon are taking preorders online and in stores in the US on Friday so...

pahncrd Oct 5, 2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by train2win (Post 1336716172)
WHEN CAN I WALK INTO ROGERS AND GET THIS PHONE???

I don't know what Roger's is, but I assume it is a store of some kind. The 4S is supposed to be released on the 14th afaik.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com