Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   AMD Radeon Discussion and Support (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Rajas final words (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34046203)

Megaman Nov 7, 2017 05:01 PM

Rajas final words

How Raja arrived at the decision to leave for pastures new

Quote:

'To my AMD family,
Forty is a significant number in history. It is a number representing transition, testing and change. I have just spent forty days away from the office going through such a transition. It was an important time with my family, and it also offered me a rare space for reflection. During this time I have come to the extremely difficult conclusion that it is time for me to leave RTG and AMD.

I have no question in my mind that RTG, and AMD, are marching firmly in the right direction as high-performance computing becomes ever-more-important in every aspect of our lives. I believe wholeheartedly in what we are doing with Vega, Navi and beyond, and I am incredibly proud of how far we have come and where we are going. The whole industry has stood up and taken notice of what we are doing. As I think about how computing will evolve, I feel more and more that I want to pursue my passion beyond hardware and explore driving broader solutions.

I want to thank Lisa and the AET for enabling me to pursue my passion during the last four years at AMD, and especially the last two years with RTG. Lisa has my utmost respect for exhibiting the courage to enable me with RTG, for believing in me and for going out of her way to support me. I would also like to call out Mark Papermaster who brought me into AMD, for his huge passion for technology and for his relentless support through many difficult phases. And of course, I want to thank each and every one of my direct staff and my indirect staff who have worked so hard with me to build what we have now got. I am very proud of the strong leaders we have and I'm fully confident that they can execute on the compelling roadmap ahead.

I will continue to be an ardent fan and user of AMD technologies for both personal and professional use.
As I mentioned, leaving AMD and RTG has been an extremely difficult decision for me. But I felt it is the right one for me personally at this point. Time will tell. I will be following with great interest the progress you will make over the next several years.

On a final note, I have asked a lot of you in the last two years. You've always delivered. You've made me successful both personally and professionally, for which I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I have these final requests from you as I leave:
. Stay focused on the roadmap!
. Deliver on your commitments!
. Continue the culture of Passion, Persistence and Play!
. Make AMD proud!
. Make me proud!

Yours,
Raja

Is this the end of cringe worthy showcases and presentations? :bleh:

KAC Nov 7, 2017 05:12 PM

40 days of last paid vacation lol.
After Vega, he deserved to be fired.

Exposed Nov 7, 2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338031985)
40 days of last paid vacation lol.
After RX480, he deserved to be fired.

Fixed.

bill dennison Nov 7, 2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Exclusive: Raja Koduri Will Be Seeking New Horizons At Intel

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-raja-...orizons-intel/

:drool::lol:

Megaman Nov 7, 2017 07:27 PM

WCCF exclusive. “The sun revolves around the Earth” :bleh:

bill dennison Nov 7, 2017 07:32 PM

just hope he takes the bad gpu mojo with him :bleh:

and the next amd cards are much more gaming cards and not pro cards

Skynet Nov 7, 2017 07:57 PM

Intel fans brace yourself for product delays.

Nagorak Nov 7, 2017 08:08 PM

I'm not sure I see it as much of a loss. Vega was a disaster... I'm skeptical whether or not this was purely a personal decision. I think there was probably some pressure on him to step aside.

GTwannabe Nov 7, 2017 08:12 PM

Definitely screwed up going all in on Vega when the project was significantly behind schedule and it was clear HBM2 would be scarce and expensive. Would have been a much better idea to build a big Polaris 490 as a stopgap.

Hapatingjaky Nov 7, 2017 08:27 PM

Well this tells me Navi is gonna flop pretty bad then. Navi being the GPU designed complete under Raja's hand. With him leaving before its release doesn't bode well for him.

He'll flourish at Intel though, no Lisa Su cracking the whip and breathing down his neck.

Skynet Nov 7, 2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky (Post 1338032038)
Well this tells me Navi is gonna flop pretty bad then. Navi being the GPU designed complete under Raja's hand. With him leaving before its release doesn't bode well for him.

Nothing wrong with his designs, the problem is he aimed too high gotta pick your battles.
Quote:

He'll flourish at Intel though, no Lisa Su cracking the whip and breathing down his neck.
So that's all he needed, less pressure. I dunno..... also that image.

Flyordie Nov 7, 2017 09:04 PM

Vega didn't really fail. Its a success at what it does. GPGPU. It is a great FP machine. If games can leverage that, then it will do great. 1080Ti level performance if done right.

pax Nov 7, 2017 10:28 PM

Ya this is no scandal and I think well planned. Raja going to intel the same week intel and amd cooperate? Raja is gonna work on the same tech to integrate and push an amd/intel compute solution to go against nvidias. AMD hw with intel's ecosystem.

Vega will be fine once they get the bins up or maybe the 12nm versions out. But by then maybe navi is so close itll be worth waiting for a solid 4k solution.

badsykes Nov 8, 2017 01:18 AM

Now the puzzle just have the pieces fit in for me at least

In this article it says that Intel will write the drivers for AMD gpu ... I was surprised a bit ... Now the piece fell in place...Raja joining intel knows his gpu .... Hahah ...

Intel GPUs officially don’t work, AMD to the rescue

https://www.semiaccurate.com/2017/11...rk-amd-rescue/

bill dennison Nov 8, 2017 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badsykes (Post 1338032069)
Now the puzzle just have the pieces fit in for me at least

In this article it says that Intel will write the drivers for AMD gpu ... I was surprised a bit ... Now the piece fell in place...Raja joining intel knows his gpu .... Hahah ...

Intel GPUs officially don’t work, AMD to the rescue

https://www.semiaccurate.com/2017/11...rk-amd-rescue/

Quote:

The agreement between AMD and Intel is that Intel is buying chips from AMD, and AMD is providing a driver support package like they do with consoles.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12003...bm2-using-emib

badsykes Nov 8, 2017 03:05 AM

Thx bill :)

KAC Nov 8, 2017 04:57 AM

AMD providing drivers for anything means future Intel platforms will be ****ed for good.

Back to Raja. I am expecting Intel to go to shite after his arrival there.

badsykes Nov 8, 2017 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338032090)
AMD providing drivers for anything means future Intel platforms will be ****ed for good.

1080ti performance is not needed in intel laptops ... The performance needs for Intel for their VGA are met with what amd have now.
It's not like Nvidia don't release hotfixes and also have a much bigger budget to pay more devs for drivers.

NWR_Midnight Nov 8, 2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Bias much? AMD has no more and no less problems than anyone else. In fact, I have had more issues with NVIDIA driver's than I ever have with AMD.

Skynet Nov 8, 2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Enjoy.
https://newsroom.intel.com/news-rele...i-joins-intel/

KAC Nov 8, 2017 08:21 PM

Nothing to enjoy. I expect POS products coming out of Intel now.

Spyhawk Nov 8, 2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338032314)
Nothing to enjoy. I expect POS products coming out of Intel now.

Something big your forgetting. Raga will have a much bigger budget with Intel and will be able to attract a bigger team of very talented people than he ever could at AMD.

I see this as a good move for Intel and their desire to become a major force in graphics.

Greasy Nov 8, 2017 08:42 PM

I look forward to more competition in the GPU markets! :drool:

pax Nov 8, 2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyhawk (Post 1338032318)
Something big your forgetting. Raga will have a much bigger budget with Intel and will be able to attract a bigger team of very talented people than he ever could at AMD.

I see this as a good move for Intel and their desire to become a major force in graphics.

So in 20 years intel couldnt get the talent or the money to do a proper gpu? Its the IP they dont have. So unless either nvidia (we know they havent) or amd sells them a rich IP license they wont be able to produce a gpu imo.

But my take is AMD is or soon will give them enough IP to work from. Its why Raja went to intel he has experience with amd ip.

Question is what did amd get for this. I mean in a normal high tech world non compete contracts would prevent your top gpu guy from going to work for the competition...

Hapatingjaky Nov 8, 2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338032334)
So in 20 years intel couldnt get the talent or the money to do a proper gpu? Its the IP they dont have. So unless either nvidia (we know they havent) or amd sells them a rich IP license they wont be able to produce a gpu imo.

But my take is AMD is or soon will give them enough IP to work from. Its why Raja went to intel he has experience with amd ip.

Question is what did amd get for this. I mean in a normal high tech world non compete contracts would prevent your top gpu guy from going to work for the competition...

No...

What will happen is this:

1.) Raja starts early December.

2.) Intel probably already has a discrete GPU in house ala something like the Larabee again that its been sitting on. Not ready for prime time that Raja can tweak, etc etc.

3.) Over the next year you will see a mass exodus from RTG going towards Intel.

4.) Within 2 years possibly 3 you will see a discrete GPU released by Intel.

That is unless AMD sues them by finding some loop hole in the licensing agreement with the GPU+CPU agreement they have now with Intel. This is where the do no compete clause comes in.

AMD licenses its mobility GPU to Intel, Intel pilfers the RTG team, AMD sues for damages because you know there will be a conflict of interest or accusations of stolen tech/patents ( think of Carmack/ID/Occulus fiasco ).

Worst case for AMD they are forced to sell the Graphics division to Intel who has deep coffers and money to spend on R&D. Then we won't get trash like Polaris and Vega.

Skynet Nov 8, 2017 10:22 PM

Intel has thrown billions around trying to make a competent GPU and repeatedly fell on their face. Raja is not going to be some magic bullet.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky (Post 1338032337)
No...

2.) Intel probably already has a discrete GPU in house ala something like the Larabee again that its been sitting on. Not ready for prime time that Raja can tweak, etc etc.

That is unless AMD sues them by finding some loop hole in the licensing agreement with the GPU+CPU agreement they have now with Intel. This is where the do no compete clause comes in.

AMD licenses its mobility GPU to Intel, Intel pilfers the RTG team, AMD sues for damages because you know there will be a conflict of interest or accusations of stolen tech/patents ( think of Carmack/ID/Occulus fiasco ).

Worst case for AMD they are forced to sell the Graphics division to Intel who has deep coffers and money to spend on R&D. Then we won't get trash like Polaris and Vega.

This is pure fiction.

pax Nov 8, 2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky (Post 1338032337)
No...

The only thing intel can do without a license is double down on massive parallel larrabee x86 and that would still be a heat and power hog. Itd make vega looks good.

Why risk another loss in court to amd and for billions this time and a stop order on sale and production when they can simply pay enough for license and pay a royalty on sales to amd. Its not like amd charges an arm and a leg to the console makers.

BTW Polaris isnt trash. Im playing wolf at 4k butter max graphics on an rx 480...

Skynet Nov 9, 2017 12:05 AM

To accept that scenario would mean Raja Koduri is the most powerful person not only in graphics but the entire tech industry. Where he goes, the best and the brightest minds follow. He is the pied piper of graphics. And he is able to bring the necessary IP to Intel just because he is Raja Koduri.

One person, that's all Intel ever needed to pull their graphics tech out of the toilet. One guy. That's it.

GTwannabe Nov 9, 2017 09:04 AM

Hopefully AMD got something good out of the deal... like Navi built in Intel fabs and/or licensing Intel's MCM tech.

pax Nov 9, 2017 11:40 AM

So much consolidation going on rumor is Intel wants to buy RTG and Nvidia AMD for its x86 license.

https://www.techpowerup.com/238620/i...-time-for-real

Quote:

Intel could have one of three approaches to build a discrete GPU from scratch. The first and most obvious one would be to scale up its current gen 9.5 architecture. The trouble is, that Intel's SIMD parallelism is more transistor-heavy than even NVIDIA. It takes roughly 400-500 million transistors (coarse estimate) on the "Kaby Lake" die to build a GPU with 24 execution units. With 10 billion transistors, we're looking at around 480 execution units, if not more.

The second approach would be to build a new graphics architecture from scratch. Something like this, even with Intel's deep R&D pockets, could take a team led by Koduri 3-4 years. The resulting architecture has to relevant to the market of the time, or end up missing the bus like Larrabee. The third approach would be to either license or acquire GPU IP from AMD. Koduri has the reputation of a tech business strategist as much as an IP guru to effect such a change.

These are strange times in the vale, as silicon giants Broadcom and Qualcomm look to coalesce into the world's third largest chipmaker, and Marvell with Cavium follow on. Stranger things are currently happening between past industry rivals, than the possibility of Intel acquiring RTG from AMD in exchange for cash, and allowing AMD's merger with another chipmaker without affecting its x86 license. This is just a really audacious theory.
HFS 10 billion trannies for just 480 shader units? Intel needs that IP.