Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New X800 Pro -> XT Mod! Try it... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33766704)

anthony256 Jul 14, 2004 08:47 PM

My Gigabyte X800PRO VIVO out of the box comes with 16 pipes (which is why I sold the Sapphire X800PRO non-VIVO) which is awesome. I flashed it with the X800XT PE bios which defaults the card to 520/560 and detects as the X800XT Platinum Edition but it was unstable. I don't think my core likes 520, 515 is fine though. I can push her through 575 or even 585 memory through 3dmark and it's fine.

My friend with teh same card (has been burning his in because I told him to) can do ~600 on memory (1200ddr!) and it's fine with 3dmark (artifacts, but stable).

:up:

jhbball Jul 14, 2004 09:25 PM

Hi guys, I"m having some trouble flashing a powercolor vivo I just got.

I downloaded the gigabyte bios + flash tool. I then made a boot disk with dr.dos, and installed the files from the package onto the bootdisk.

Then I rebooted, and booted to A: and used the command 'GVF11 -P -F R80X256V.F1 ' but it gave me an error "-F File Open Error"

What am I doing wrong? Also, I tried the command "'GVF11 -P -F R80X256V_filename.F1 as well.

jewbe Jul 15, 2004 03:38 AM

well i feel a little jealous cuz im a little young and my dad will not order me a x800 pro VIVO cuz "they cost too much money" but as soon as i get my hands on one i will mod it if i can figure out how cuz im still learning all the tricks ans stuff.

albrob Jul 15, 2004 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blai76
So today I received my Sapphire ViVo x800pro and gigaflashed to XT, flashrommed to ati xt, and now I have a Sapphire X800XT Platinum Edition running at full XT speeds with all pipelines enabled. Time to see how far I can OC this further on stock cooling ;)

Blai76,
So far I have only used the Gigabyte BIOS for the X800 XT and been able to overclock the card up to 540 (core) / 580 (mem) without problems in any benchmark. If I go anything higher in the core (i.e. 550Mhz) my PC will just freeze during Mother Nature test in 3DMark03. How is the ATI BIOS X800 XT working for you?. Pls let us know how far you can OC your card.

For overclocking I am using both ATI Tool and the Gigabyte overclocking utility (Gigabyte V-Tuner 2) which can be downloaded from the Gigabyte site.

p.s.: I have the same card as you (Sapphire X800Pro VIVO flashed w/ Gigabyte BIOS to X800 XT PE).

dfunkt Jul 15, 2004 02:30 PM

Hi people,

Had to join up just for this excellent thread alone, I have a Sapphire X800 Pro (Vivo) and have run into trouble with this procedure. I've backed up by bios and have made a bootdisk with DrDosFlash and put the Giga bios on there but when I reboot the screen hangs at Caldera DrDos ! Nothing happens after that. Every other dos based floppy I have works so why not this one ? I tried booting with the Flashrom disk and entering the GVF11 -p -f A:\rx80x256v.f1 command but it gives me the file open error. Help would be much appreciated here :(.

gamesmaster86 Jul 15, 2004 06:41 PM

has anybody tried this mod on the HIS EXCALIBUR IceQ II ATI RADEON X800 PRO 256MB GDDR3 VIVO card cause i'm tempted to get one instead of the sapphire vivo. any suggestions??? thanks

blai76 Jul 15, 2004 07:08 PM

dfunkt, looks like you are the second person on this thread to have problems executing the gigabyte flash utility under a startup disk made under Dr. Dos. My question to you is: Why don't you just make a MSDOS startup disk in windows XP by formatting the floppy? It works well enough for me. Or have you tried something similar already?

@albrob
My Sapphire X800pro ViVo doesn't let me boot into windows about 50% of the time, and just hangs during the windows xp title screen about 30% of the time. When it does boot into windows, everything works great. This is using the ATI XT bios, which clocks the card during startup. I believe what is happening is once the video driver is loaded, it causes the possible lockup.

So what I've done is reflash it back to the original X800pro ViVo bios, and it loads up into windows 100% of the time np, and I use ATITool to overclock to XT speeds, jhaving it automatically load and close itself at startup after it OC's the card to XT speeds. My card currently overclocks to 570MHz Core, paired with a 590MHz Memory overclock, without artifacts. However, it tends to run extremely hot, exceeding 80 degrees Celcius during the heatup phases. Even though it is running without artifacts at that speed, I don't want to risk it at this point on stock cooling. So I am keeping it at stock XT speeds (525Core 576Memory).

I do have the XT windows drivers loaded for the card though. As far as I can tell, pro bios for ViVo with 16 pipes enabled and running at XT speeds is exactly equivalent to running with an XT bios. My overclocks with each bios have been equal.

edit: I do suppose that the XT Bios would give better RAM timings though...since it would probably have timings for the 1.6NS memoery as opposed to the 2.0NS timings for the X800Pro. I wish I could find a way to edit my X800XT bios to have it clock the card at Pro speeds for booting up. THat way I could get the tighter 1.6NS timings. Hmmmm

ArconX Jul 15, 2004 08:01 PM

Had the same problem Blai76 ( X800pro none vivo ). XT bios was creating lockup on entering windows, or black screen etc ... flashing to pro bios solved it also.

After some more testing, i found the problem. The 4.7 drivers are creating those problems for me, but the 4.6 dont have those problems.

People reported the same thing in the catalyst driver thread that something is messed up with the rage theater chipset startup.

koldphuzion Jul 15, 2004 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaspar
I had the exact same problem, If you change the file name to a dos 8.3 format. A smmaller fien name like x800pro.bin that will work

Thanks Gaspar :D
I re-named the X800XT bios to X800XT, used the command:
flashrom -p -f 0 X800XT.bin and it worked a treat :cool:.

A step by step guide? Ok :nag: for the newbs!

1, Create 2 bootable floppy's, either with windows format/create boot disk or with DRDOS http://www.bootdisk.com/.
2, Download all the files you need http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...4&page=3&pp=30 thread 78. Install ATI TOOL if you haven't done so already.
3, Copy ATI Flashrom and ATI XT PE Bios on to one of your floppy's, Gigabyte flash rom+bios onto the other.
4, Boot into your ATI flashrom disk and create a backup of you X800Pro bios to the same floppy as your ATI flashrom is on using this command: flashrom -s 0 X800Pro.bin The -s being the command telling flashrom to save bios to disk, 0 being the device number and X800Pro.bin being the file name. Reeboot and check the disk to see if your bios is there.
5, Boot with your Gigabyte flash rom disk and flash to the Gigabyte X800XT bios. This unlocks all 16 pipes. I used the command : gvf11 -p a:\r80x256V.f1 -f The gvf11 being the exe for the gigabyte flash rom, -p telling it to flash to device, r80x256v being the gigabyte X800xt bios and -f telling it to force the flash.
6, Boot to windows and check in ATI TOOL to see all your 16 pipes! :D
(7 Is totally optional...)
7, Boot into ATI flashrom and flash to the ATI X800XT bios, or, flash back to your X800Pro backup bios. To do this I re-named the ATI.X800XT.256.Samsung16 bios to ATIX800XT and re named my Pro bios to X800PRO. Flash using either of these commands: flashrom -p -f 0 ATIX800XT.bin for the XT Bios, or: flashrom -p -f 0 ATIX800PRO.bin for your backup Pro bios. Easy :hmm:
8, Boot to windows, uninstall your catalyst drivers abd reinstall them, re-boot and off you go, either a X800Pro or an X800XT with all 16 pipes enabled. :drool: :cool:

I did this soft mod on my Powercoler X800Pro VIVO, fantastic!

Good luck and happy flashing/modding. :p

mickmar Jul 15, 2004 08:22 PM

Hi
I have Excalibur X800 Pro 256 GDDR3 ICEQ II, an it works great.

mickmar

Edit:3DMark 2003

blai76 Jul 15, 2004 08:26 PM

ArconX, so using XT Bios with Cat 4.6 drivers, you don't get lockups at all during bootup? I'm going to try that right now and check it out, thanks for your research, buddy. I'd like to use XT drivers for the tigher memory timings.

DooMeous Jul 16, 2004 12:25 AM

Just thought I would drop a fast reply here for those with Vivo modding.. Really, I suggest slapping a pencil to the resistor, I barely made the stock speeds after flashing my Powercolor Vivo to 16 pipes.. scratching a pencil to give me 1.65 gpu volts and changing out the stock cooler to a slightly modded swiftech MCX 478-v copper/pin cooler like this one:

I was able to not only run at stock gpu speed, but run up to a whopping 625mhz with my gpu temp never going over 38c-ish... at idle it drops down into the high 20cs.. I clock down for safety sake to 610, and run all day long 3dmark or any game I want without a single artifact or hitch whatsoever. My 3dmark03 on my prescott 3.65ghz machine gives me a nice 14.5k 3dmark.

Good cooling and a fast pencil mod and voila' power speed, 16pipes and stability for 440bucks not too shabby....

jhbball Jul 16, 2004 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DooMeous
Just thought I would drop a fast reply here for those with Vivo modding.. Really, I suggest slapping a pencil to the resistor, I barely made the stock speeds after flashing my Powercolor Vivo to 16 pipes.. scratching a pencil to give me 1.65 gpu volts and changing out the stock cooler to a slightly modded swiftech MCX 478-v copper/pin cooler like this one:

I was able to not only run at stock gpu speed, but run up to a whopping 625mhz with my gpu temp never going over 38c-ish... at idle it drops down into the high 20cs.. I clock down for safety sake to 610, and run all day long 3dmark or any game I want without a single artifact or hitch whatsoever. My 3dmark03 on my prescott 3.65ghz machine gives me a nice 14.5k 3dmark.

Good cooling and a fast pencil mod and voila' power speed, 16pipes and stability for 440bucks not too shabby....

how easy is this pencial mod? I can't seem to run @ xt speeds with my powercolor.

GeNoCyDe Jul 16, 2004 01:04 AM

Hey Guyz I have an X800pro ATI Origional with VIVO and I did all the steps but when doing the gigabyte bios flash it doesnt seem to let me unlock the extra 4 pipelines anyone know how to get around this it says all the 4A49 and then the new 4A50 but it doesnt seem to change can someone help i really want these extra pipelines :) also i seem to be clocking mine at xt clock speeds and it runs very stable.

Speak Easy Jul 16, 2004 03:01 AM

Excellent! :eek: I'll be sure to do this when the time come for me to build new rig.

Thanks to whoever found this. :D

uvitor Jul 16, 2004 08:12 AM

IŽll buy a X800pro VIVO and i want to do all that staff, but wich brand must buy?PowerColor or Sapphire?
Thanks

WaterSign Jul 16, 2004 02:51 PM

I just ordered a Powercolor X800 Pro VIVO, etc. I'm likely going to need instructions when it comes on Monday.

Speak Easy Jul 16, 2004 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterSign
I just ordered a Powercolor X800 Pro VIVO, etc. I'm likely going to need instructions when it comes on Monday.

Remember Page 6, Thread #159. It contains a full walkthrough.

Good luck! :D

Speak Easy Jul 17, 2004 02:47 AM

Just got a new job, and if I calculate correctly I should have enough money for PowerColors X800 Vivo in about a month. :drool:

I hope there are no recals or revisions to the cards design due to this discovery, so the sooner i can get the card the better.

Only three more months until I can say farewell to the Voodoo 3! :D

Sorry for being off-topic and all..

koldphuzion Jul 17, 2004 11:47 AM

blai76:

Did flash to the gigabyte bios first? If you didn'nt then that may be your problem. That is the only version that will unlock the 4 pipes, then you go to the XT bios. I hope you haven't shafted your card mate :hmm:

Its seems that there is a little problem with the latest ATI cat drivers (4.7) when using a modded XT. I suggest going back to Cat 4.6 as they are more stable. Im using them and getting well over 11000 in 3D Mark 2003, without much over clocking! :D I've also increased my AGP mhz to 69 in my bios.

I cant wait for my new VGA cooler to arrive, then I can play more with the timings and possibly up the AGP voltage to 1.6v!! :drool:

WaterSign Jul 17, 2004 12:49 PM

Can someone give me those instructions only, um... keep them in mind that I don't have a floppy drive?

WaterSign Jul 17, 2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterSign
Can someone give me those instructions only, um... keep them in mind that I don't have a floppy drive?

I suppose I could just download "The Ultimate Boot CD" and drop the flash utilities on there, right?

ZeroSanity Jul 17, 2004 06:43 PM

I had to buy a floppy drive..

:(

If you screw up more than 5 cds buy a floppy drive you will actually be saving yourself money lol!

You make the disk in the format floppy menu in windows by clicking on 'MS-DOS Bootdisk' then dragging the gigabyte files to your floppy afterwards.

So get up off your ass and buy that floppy drive lol!

Good luck ;)

ZeroSanity Jul 17, 2004 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koldphuzion
blai76:

Did flash to the gigabyte bios first? If you didn'nt then that may be your problem. That is the only version that will unlock the 4 pipes, then you go to the XT bios. I hope you haven't shafted your card mate :hmm:

Its seems that there is a little problem with the latest ATI cat drivers (4.7) when using a modded XT. I suggest going back to Cat 4.6 as they are more stable. Im using them and getting well over 11000 in 3D Mark 2003, without much over clocking! :D I've also increased my AGP mhz to 69 in my bios.

I cant wait for my new VGA cooler to arrive, then I can play more with the timings and possibly up the AGP voltage to 1.6v!! :drool:

LOL!...

U don't need any more than 66mhz and never will, the only thing it will do is damage your card.

AGP Voltage also makes no difference under normal conditions, just causes overheating.

If you want to increase the voltage to your card u need to do a volt mod which can be done with a pencil for the gpu but im not comfortable talking about it with newbies.

Also for those with x800pros i suggest you run the power to the cards fan from the fan headers on your mobo because the x800pros undervolt to the fan.

koldphuzion Jul 17, 2004 07:23 PM

ZeroSanity: I already know about the pencil mod, and the conductive paint mod to connect laser cut bridges and increase voltages to the memory. Im just experimenting to see what can be done. So I do hope you wasn't refearing to me as a newbie? :hmm:
As for the upping the voltages not doing anything, it helps stablise your card when trying to run higher overclocking, the more you want it to then the power it needs, thats why you increase the voltage of a CPU when overclocking it. Its the same with the mhz, like when overclocking a CPU you increase its FSB mhz to achive more bandwidth, ie, faster. So when you increase the AGP mhz a little you will gain a little bandwidth. Like I said, this is all experimental and can be re-set to default at any time.

blai76 Jul 17, 2004 11:22 PM

KoldPhuzion:

Of course I flashed the gigabyte bios first The card is working properly with all 16 pipelines, and zero artifacts on stock cooling at 575MHz core / 590MHz Memory. After giving it the as5 treatment, it runs on heatup phases at max 78 degrees Celcius, which is damn good for stock cooling. My problem was with the Cat4.7 Drivers.

As ArconX was so kind to let us know, the Cat 4.7 drivers causes XT modded X800pros to have issues sometimes during bootup when the drivers are loaded for the ATI Rage Theater chip.

To get around this and to keep the performance of Cat 4.7 drivers, I've manually installed the 4.7 drivers for my display drivers, while manually installing the 4.6 drivers for my ATI Rage Theater chip. The two items in your Sound,Video, and Game Controllers section of Device Manager you need to install 4.6 drivers for are: ATI WDM Rage Theater Video, and ATI WDM SPecialized MVD Codec. Then you get the 4.7 display performance with the 4.6 stability for the theater chip. My problems are all solved.

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that your gpu core is really running at max 38c. During FarCry my card gets to about 68c, and during AtiTool heatup phases, to about 78c. You're saying this heatsink/fan reduces temperatures by 30c? That's pretty unbelieveable, especially considering a water block doesn't even get it that low...

koldphuzion Jul 18, 2004 03:33 AM

blai76:

Hmm, sounds like a plan to me, I think I'll give the manual cat driver a go, im on 4.6 at the mo so i'll drop in the 4.7 display drivers. :)
Mt gpu temps are running roughly the same as yours, idle and under load, so I also find it hard to believe that a heatsink/fan can get the temps as low as that....:hmm:

figs Jul 18, 2004 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blai76
KoldPhuzion:

I find it hard to believe that your gpu core is really running at max 38c. During FarCry my card gets to about 68c, and during AtiTool heatup phases, to about 78c. You're saying this heatsink/fan reduces temperatures by 30c? That's pretty unbelieveable, especially considering a water block doesn't even get it that low...

case temps matter too... maybe his room is 20 degrees cooler than urs or others?

-is2- Jul 18, 2004 11:07 AM

Got my Sapphire X800 Pro ViVo today. Mod works, but I can't run it on XT PE core clock speeds. Mem goes up to 620 without artifacts. I'm going to try the pencil trick. Can someone tell me how much to lower resistance to get 0.1v increase?
Thank You.

Davekap Jul 18, 2004 08:59 PM

I just bought mine.

Sapphire x800 Pro VIVO at this link. Cheapest price I can find anywhere so I suggest it since I was looking all over for someone else's suggestion.

http://www.mypcgoodies.com/mypcg/c_c...t.asp?type=942

Once it reaches my door, I'll probably be asking this thread how the Sapphire soft-modding works. :-)