Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New X800 Pro -> XT Mod! Try it... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33766704)

Codeman05 Jun 28, 2004 09:19 AM

Re: New X800 Pro -> XT Mod! Try it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brama
I don't read polish but logically it seems that the author tried first the xt samsung bios with only cosmetic and overclock results (still 12 pipes) and after flashed the gigabyte bios that unlocked the last 4 pipes.

You can rename the suffix of gigabyte bios in .bin or whatever you like.

After you can try to flash with the parameters that polish article suggests.

Bye,

Using flashrom with those parameters didn't make any differance =/
Guess I can live with 12.5k in 3dmark03 till I figure another way to unlock those pipes lol

Brama Jun 28, 2004 09:26 AM

Another "hole in the water", litterally translated from italian. I don't know if it means the same in english. We say this when we try to find a solution to a problem, but the solution fails.

I am sure you have a very fast setup, I am at 10333 with 510/550.

Codeman05 Jun 28, 2004 09:30 AM

yea the pencil mod works real well. If you get rid of the stock cooling its worth checking out. Was able to up the core from about 530max to 615.
Mem tops out at 580, need to get the guts to vmod that

Anyway, someone else should give this a shot. I'd be interested in knowing wether or not this "mod" actually works

Vogon Jun 28, 2004 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codeman05
Using flashrom with those parameters didn't make any differance =/
Guess I can live with 12.5k in 3dmark03 till I figure another way to unlock those pipes lol

Apparently it only works using the gigabyte flash utility included in the bios download ...
Apparently the Gigabyte won't work for any other bios, the F1 must be specific to that flash utility ...

Codeman05 Jun 28, 2004 10:40 AM

yea, a couple of people on XtremeSystems got it to work with the GB flash utility...redid it without success

Vogon Jun 28, 2004 10:45 AM

:(
What make of card do you have ?

Brama Jun 28, 2004 10:45 AM

codeman, do you flash in plain DOS?
Try to use a bootable diskette with all the files contained in the gigabyte .exe

It seems you are the only people unsuccessfull with vivo card. :(

Bye,

Codeman05 Jun 28, 2004 10:49 AM

Vogon, its the Saphire X800pro with all of the XT features (core/ram etc...)
Core Code:
215RADCGA11F
GB8843.1
0418AA
The card also has 1.6ns Samsung memory: K4J55323QF-GC16
and the Theater Rage chip

haha Brama, yea I'm getting that feeling as well.

I used a dos 5.0 boot disk with only the contents of the GB exe file on the disk. Ran the command the exactly like the readme: gvf11 -p a:\blah.f1

still showing 12 pipes

Maybe I'll try the hardmod one more time tonight :rolleyes:

Brama Jun 28, 2004 10:56 AM

I realize now that you have the lasercut!?

So you have a pro with same components of vivo and xt but with lasercut.

What a mess! :nuts:

Good luck....

Codeman05 Jun 28, 2004 10:58 AM

yea exactly. Do the other vivo pros not have the cut??

I'm gonna go retry the hardmod and see what that does with this bios. Who knows.

Brama Jun 28, 2004 11:05 AM

Yes, the real vivo does'nt have the lasercut.

ArconX Jun 28, 2004 11:06 AM

Yep, the other's are widout cut's. In other words, just rebranded XT's to Pro's ...

Look like they run the card's with VIVO just with 1.6 memory off the same production area, and just cut or bios mod the card's they need as pro's or those that don't qualify.

Codeman05 Jun 28, 2004 12:07 PM

well atleast I feel special, cause I haven't heard of another card like this one haha

The hardmod may work on this type of card though, or in a sense atleast. I closed the cut again, and the card craps all over itself once it hits 3d mode. So maybe it unlocked the pipes, but the pipes are just fawked up (I've heard a few cases of this on other cards. but who knows. I think I'm done trying to mod it, atleast until I hear another method ;)

As soon as my new psu gets here (current one is in BAD shape), I'll do a little more cpu & video overclocking and see if I can't break 13k with what I've got. I think I've got a decent shot

Thanks for all the help guys, I just stumbled across this forum this morning, but I think I'll definately be dropping by more often :up:

Gilhooley Jun 28, 2004 12:25 PM

Works just fine :D I've flashed with the gigabyte flasher/bios first and then back with flashrom/sapphire for better voltage. Only got 1500 marks more.. Perhaps the difference would be bigger at a lower speed - I'm running at 600/600. Have to try the 4.7 betas ;)
(sapphire x800 pro Vivo - 1.6mem)

Codeman05 Jun 28, 2004 12:31 PM

but did you have the vivo with the laser cut?
If so, I wanna know what you did lol.

I already know it works with non-cut vivo, thats whats pissing me off hehe

Congrats on the mod and score though! (I hate you! :p)

johnDOH Jun 28, 2004 12:42 PM

Has anybody got this working with the cat 4.7 betas yet?

Gilhooley Jun 28, 2004 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codeman05
but did you have the vivo with the laser cut?
If so, I wanna know what you did lol.
I already know it works with non-cut vivo, thats whats pissing me off hehe
Congrats on the mod and score though! (I hate you! :p)

Sorry, no cut :(

Brama Jun 28, 2004 12:54 PM

codeman, after redoing the hard mod that messed up the 3d, do you try to see with atitool if you have 16 or 12 pipes?

Codeman05 Jun 28, 2004 01:09 PM

I could never get it that far, it was acting up to bad, couldn't open any applications

Kibid Jun 28, 2004 01:50 PM

My core is GA9004.1
215RAACGA11F

Never tried to connect the bridges.

I was able to flash to the gigabyte bios, but then the computer became highly unstable.

On a side note, I personally know 3 other people with the GA9004.1 core VisionTek's and they were able to make them XT's.

Uller Jun 28, 2004 02:24 PM

@Kibid:
What did your friends do?
What exactly did YOU do?
Did you flash to the Gigabyte bios with GVF10 -p r80x256v.f1?
Then flashed back to your previous bios with Flashrom?
-> check AtiTool, you might have 16 pipes activated!

If you flash the X800 XT bios you enable the 16 pipes, but you also set the clocks to 520/560.
This might have been to much for your card -> instable.
Flashing back to your old X800 Pro with Flashrom doesn't overwrite the 16 pipe-setting!
Someone here in Germany experienced the same as you did - instability with the Gigabyte bios. Flashed back to his old Pro bios, now he is at 475/450 with 16-pipes enabled!

BUT he used a ViVo card! If you get this to work on your card, that'd be really GREAT news!

Kibid Jun 28, 2004 02:48 PM

Uller-

All 5 of us ordered from Outpost.com, we ordered the Visiontek x800pro. After hearing about the hardmod, we decided we would take a night and see if we could work some magic. We went down to a local hobby shop that dealt with trains, and purchased 2 conductive pens.

All of our cores were the same, GA9004.1. I opted not to do mine, because I was perfectly happy with the speed the PRO offered(plus i didn't want to fubar my card yet); however, they decided to give it a shot. after carefully connecting the bridges, and reaplying the thermal paste we put the HSF back on, and tried our luck. I do not recall anybody flashing the BIOS since is was generally agreed that the cards may not be able to support the XT spec..ATI Tool reported 16pipelines..at the pro speeds. All 4 were success stories, without any problems.

I'm not sure about what memory timings they are using since they did not flash the bios, but to this day none of them have complained about the card going back to 12pipelines.

I wouldn't expect any of the softmods to work because of the lasercut, I'm sure it's doable, but just not yet. Just a FYI, all 4 cards that were modded have been able to reach overclocks of 590/1.2ghz which stock from the pro is over a 100mhz OC.

Uller Jun 28, 2004 02:52 PM

@kibid:
thanks for this information! Thougt your friends only used the bios-flash.

But those questions are more important:

Did you flash back to your old bios using Flashrom?
Don't you have 16 pipes active in AtiTool right now?

Kibid Jun 28, 2004 03:00 PM

Opps, sorry about not getting to those questions uller. Yes, I did flash back to the old bios useing flashrom... before I flashed to the gigabyte driver, i backed up the bios.

No, currently it is still at 12pipelines.

jhbball Jun 28, 2004 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibid
My core is GA9004.1
215RAACGA11F

Never tried to connect the bridges.

I was able to flash to the gigabyte bios, but then the computer became highly unstable.

On a side note, I personally know 3 other people with the GA9004.1 core VisionTek's and they were able to make them XT's.

when did you order yours? i ordered early last week, and sitll haven't gotten mine yet :) hopefully i'll hear something soon.

mange303 Jun 28, 2004 04:39 PM

the flasher wont even work for me,it refuses and tells me that me that my card is a ati card.

i have a sapphire x800pro vivo with 1.6ns ram.

johnDOH Jun 28, 2004 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mange303
the flasher wont even work for me,it refuses and tells me that me that my card is a ati card.

i have a sapphire x800pro vivo with 1.6ns ram.

Have you tried using the -f option to force it to override the warning?

Sevan Jun 28, 2004 06:40 PM

Kibid,
do you remember what the manufacture dates were on the Pros your friends modded?

I've read at Xtremesystems that only those with 0411AA and 0416AA have succeeded.

Thanks.

Kibid Jun 28, 2004 07:41 PM

sevan- off hand no, I do not know. I'll call around really quick and ask though.

Hailstone Jun 28, 2004 08:11 PM

i have a 0417AA, going to try shortly