Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Console Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   PS Vita (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33986478)

Chubz Feb 2, 2012 02:52 AM

PS Vita

So who else is grabbing one of these badboys at launch here in a few weeks? And what titles are you picking up? :)

Here is what I'm going to be picking up on (or before) launch day:And later this year, I'm definitely going to grab these:I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a handheld system. The dual analog sticks, online features, and near-PS3-ish hardware alone have me sold, but the software is just insane. There are top-notch platformer, racing, shooting, puzzle, and even fighting games to behold -- and this is at and shortly following launch! And although little has been said about them, we apparently have upcoming Bioshock and Call of Duty titles. It makes me giddy just thinking about what developers will be able to do with this platform. Despite the terrible reception in Japan, I really hope sales start to pick up and the Vita goes on a tear. It's certainly the must-have portable system for the hardcore crowd for many reasons and it has all the makings of a juggernaut if things pick up once it releases in North America, Europe, and Australia.

Dungeoncrawler Feb 2, 2012 03:21 AM

I have the original psp and never use it. I just cannot game on such a small screen.

Chubz Feb 2, 2012 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336829347)
I have the original psp and never use it. I just cannot game on such a small screen.

That really bothered me with my 3DS. My God, both screens were tiny. :( The Vita is supposed to have an absolutely gorgeous 5" OLED screen, though, so hopefully that will help make it more bearable versus the 3DS' main 3.5" screen. I checked and it looks like the PSP models had a screen size of roughly 4", so the Vita has those beat by about an inch and its screen will be more vibrant since it's using OLED technology.

spindoctor Feb 2, 2012 04:09 AM

damn thing is too expensive in my country. 400$ for the wifi system, 500$ for the 3g one, games between 45-55$ and they don't even want to reveal the memory card prices yet because of how absurd they are going to be. will wait for a price drop and/or refresh.

wc326 Feb 2, 2012 04:31 AM

i have both vita and 3ds.
as far as screen goes, the vita screen is top notch. the color are so vivid which is great for gaming.

but i still think 5 inch is n't big enough for gaming, but for mobility i don't really want anything bigger:(

Chubz Feb 2, 2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wc326 (Post 1336829376)
i have both vita and 3ds.
as far as screen goes, the vita screen is top notch. the color are so vivid which is great for gaming.

but i still think 5 inch is n't big enough for gaming, but for mobility i don't really want anything bigger:(

I know this is almost an entirely separate topic, but since you have it I must ask something regarding the analog sticks:
Although they're significantly shorter/smaller than their PS3 controller counterparts, do they still have nearly the same range of motion? In other words, can you still slowly shift from walking to jogging to running in a game like Uncharted or Gravity Rush, or is that range of motion compromised so that it's more or less black and white - walking or running?

wc326 Feb 2, 2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubz (Post 1336829381)
I know this is almost an entirely separate topic, but since you have it I must ask something regarding the analog sticks:
Although they're significantly shorter/smaller than their PS3 controller counterparts, do they still have nearly the same range of motion? In other words, can you still slowly shift from walking to jogging to running in a game like Uncharted or Gravity Rush, or is that range of motion compromised so that it's more or less black and white - walking or running?

of course you can do slow movement on both anolog stick easily the stick works just like the one from arcade machine.. and imo this has to be the best anolog stick on any handheld system todate.
the stick is just miles better than the one on the 3ds.
the 3ds uses the same design for its anaolog stick as on the psp1, the vita anolog stick feels liike sometthing from arcade game machine, but much smaller.

it feels much easier to use. altho i am not too convince that this kind of anolog stick(too small) , will work well on fps game.

mrbaggs Feb 2, 2012 07:12 AM

Got mine preordered along w Uncharted. The gamestop near me has a display Vita set up, thing is very cool. It seems a lot bigger than it looks in pictures. The analogs are excellent as well, nearly as good as the ones on the dualshock IMO.

wc326 Feb 2, 2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbaggs (Post 1336829459)
Got mine preordered along w Uncharted. The gamestop near me has a display Vita set up, thing is very cool. It seems a lot bigger than it looks in pictures. The analogs are excellent as well, nearly as good as the ones on the dualshock IMO.

imo the d-stick is better than the d-pad :)

i think sony has copied ninitendo on the d-pad this time. not sure why they have done this.

_TiTaNiuM Feb 2, 2012 11:39 AM

I'll decide after a couple months, when hopefully you can install homebrew. go go gadget hackers.

Jokerzwild Feb 2, 2012 11:48 AM

I can't imagine myself needing one of these. Will I get one though? Probably, because I waste money on unnecessary crap. I've bought and sold 3 PSP's because I like the THOUGHT of playing stuff on a handheld, but when it comes right down to it, I either play games on the PC or occasionally something like Angry Birds or PvZ on my ipad2. Oh I'll love it and use it all the time for like 2 or 3 weeks, but long term...

Who knows, maybe this will be awesome and make me change my habits? I doubt it though, it'll prolly end up on the shelf right in between the 3ds and PS Move didlo :bleh:

Destroy Feb 2, 2012 12:10 PM

Was interested until I found out that PSP games won't use the Vita properly.

Re:Gran Turismo PSP, You can map accel/brake to the new RH analog stick but it will still be digital controls.

Lame! :mad:

Chubz Feb 2, 2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destroy (Post 1336829693)
Re:Gran Turismo PSP, You can map accel/brake to the new RH analog stick but it will still be digital controls.

What do you mean by "still be digital controls"?

Destroy Feb 2, 2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubz (Post 1336829779)
What do you mean by "still be digital controls"?

It means that pushing the RH nub upwards will be like pushing a button, it will only be on or off. No gradual acceleration effect like a large gamepad or joystick.

Chubz Feb 2, 2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destroy (Post 1336829799)
It means that pushing the RH nub upwards will be like pushing a button, it will only be on or off. No gradual acceleration effect like a large gamepad or joystick.

Ah, I see. That really sucks. :(

wangFu Feb 2, 2012 05:45 PM

makes sense, the games were not made with that in mind

nomore Feb 2, 2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubz (Post 1336829332)
So who else is grabbing one of these badboys at launch here in a few weeks?

I have no interest in PS Vita.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubz (Post 1336829332)
And what titles are you picking up? :)

hopefully Uncharted: Golden Abyss in few weeks/months for the PS3 and Rayman Origins for the PC once it gets cheaper.

MyTMouse Feb 2, 2012 07:00 PM

I remember how small the original gameboy screen was...it was monochrome and had no backlight or HD.

People these days are babies complaining about screens being too small or not bright or HD enough

/cranky old coot rant

:D

Chubz Feb 2, 2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomore (Post 1336830117)
I have no interest in PS Vita.

hopefully Uncharted: Golden Abyss in few weeks/months for the PS3 and Rayman Origins for the PC once it gets cheaper.

Golden Abyss isn't making its way to PS3 though, is it? I don't see anything about it on the Wiki. Do they have a PS3 version in development too, set to be released at a later date? I thought it was a Vita exclusive.

nomore Feb 2, 2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubz (Post 1336830141)
Golden Abyss isn't making its way to PS3 though, is it? I don't see anything about it on the Wiki. Do they have a PS3 version in development too, set to be released at a later date? I thought it was a Vita exclusive.

probably not right away.
but God of War games for PSP came to PS3 so I am hoping Uncharted game for Vita will come to PS3 as well. :D

wc326 Feb 2, 2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomore (Post 1336830150)
probably not right away.
but God of War games for PSP came to PS3 so I am hoping Uncharted game for Vita will come to PS3 as well. :D

lol
the game on ps3 should come to the vita, not the other way around :)

i say this because i no longer have a ps3, traded in for a 3ds and never look back. i will say good bye to home console this gen. it has been a good 6 years.

i am hoping they port gt5 to the vita and mgs4

the gaming experience on these new handheld are different than last gen one, i got to say i hate the NDS , and even the NDS game on 3ds still sucks so much. But with its own 3ds game with 3d mode on, games just can't look as cute on the wii or any other system. Mario is so cute with 3d on

games on these handheld looks sharp, i even like the graphic more on these handheld than on the ps3. yea the screen might be too small, but the game looks just so much cleaner sharper, much more colorful and you really don't get that blurry sub hd effect any more on smaller screen.

vita is a monster machine, what it can do with graphic is still unknow, but so far the gameplay itself has already match what we have on the ps3.

Omega53 Feb 2, 2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyTMouse (Post 1336830139)
I remember how small the original gameboy screen was...it was monochrome and had no backlight or HD.

People these days are babies complaining about screens being too small or not bright or HD enough

/cranky old coot rant

:D

Not Only that, it would eat four AA batteries for breakfast

DiaperJe|\|i3 Feb 3, 2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega53 (Post 1336830270)
Not Only that, it would eat four AA batteries for breakfast

LOL, remember the sega nomad, turbo express. They are still legendary for double the amount of batteries and half the uptime. Too bad too. The Turbo Express was pretty phenomenal for what it was.

Hidavi Feb 4, 2012 07:23 AM

I need to get a sense for how cheaply I can get games for this before I make the plunge.

Renocide Feb 4, 2012 10:35 AM

super excited for this release.

I pre-ordered the Feb. 15th Early Edition along with Uncharted, ModNation, Little Big Planet, and Unit 13.

I finally got a chance to get some hands on time up at the local Gamestop.

I had heard that the analog sticks were a little laggy but I didn't notice it while playing Uncharted. I also heard that there was a ton of jaggies and such and while it does show some it's not as nearly as bad as the guy made it out to be.

I can't wait for this to get here!!!!

I say if anyone has any doubts they should go up to Gamestop and try it out. I'd be surprised if it didn't change a few minds about getting it right away!

wc326 Feb 4, 2012 10:47 AM

i have already put 20 hours of capcom vs marvel on the vita.

great game. wonderful control

LimeyGeeza Feb 4, 2012 11:39 AM

Not me, I got burned with the PSP with Sony not following through on their promises, I haven't played the PSP for years. The vita would have to blow me away when I see one for me to buy it, and I doubt that is going to happen.

Chubz Feb 4, 2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hidavi (Post 1336831426)
I need to get a sense for how cheaply I can get games for this before I make the plunge.

Most titles are $39.99, whereas others are $29.99. Uncharted is $49.99, but that's the only game priced that high.

wc326 Feb 4, 2012 08:33 PM

MK on vita.

mbl

Progression Feb 4, 2012 08:39 PM

Ok that's pretty damn cool. :lol: I may get one of these for when my PC is rendering or something. :bleh:

Edit: Can the vita browse / read kindle / read pdf / watch videos, though?