Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Home Theaters and Photography (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Gaming TV recommendations (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34050751)

shrike126 Mar 21, 2020 03:15 PM

Gaming TV recommendations
 
It's for a small office gaming room. I've put together a list of criteria or use cases that I think it should fit, let me know if anyone knows of anything that really fits the bill?
  1. Ideally something on the small ish side, like 43-49 inches, but high quality. The office isn't huge, so something smaller with better quality sounds more realistic. Wouldn't want to go over maybe 55 ish depending on the size since it might not fit the area I'm looking at.
  2. HDMI 2.1 is tempting but not much available quite yet, I don't mind waiting since I'm thinking of aiming for VRR and instant switching feature sets.
  3. Gaming emphasis so focusing on low input lag as it will be hooked up to the latest of the consoles in the Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and a PC varieties.
  4. Audio isn't a huge issue since I'm inclined to hook it up to a home theater receiver, probably will go with just a soundbar or headset for gaming.

Thoughts? Not mentioning budget because I'm curious what y'all suggest for that size.

Kain Mar 21, 2020 06:06 PM

Check out the new LG 48" CX OLED TV. Has a MSRP of $1,499 and should be available in June 2020. It is an OLED TV so burn-in and other related stuff could be an issue.

shrike126 Mar 22, 2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain (Post 1338183158)
Check out the new LG 48" CX OLED TV. Has a MSRP of $1,499 and should be available in June 2020. It is an OLED TV so burn-in and other related stuff could be an issue.

Thanks for the advice. That's a really interesting model. I was already kinda looking at the LG C9 but they're a bit big. So am OLED is definitely an option. Everything I've seen suggests that burn in isn't a big issue, and my day to day behaviors lean towards it not being an issue for me in particular.

OverclockN' Mar 24, 2020 11:10 AM

Check out the Sony X900F and the new version the X950G.

I've been using the X900F in the exact same scenario you painted. I use it for console gaming and heavy PC use. It's my primary PC display, and in a psuedo-home theater room I've created. So it's hooked up to a Sony X700 4k player as well. My brother bought the X950G and uses it in the same way. He loves the thing. I have the X900F in 49".

I have no regrets at all with this purchase. There is never a worry about image retention or burn in using it as a PC display. There is a game mode, but I've never used it. I've played FPS and every type of game on it without even using game mode and I don't notice any lag whatsoever. Image quality is fantastic and HDR looks incredible. Games that have big explosions or movies that have that or where they shine lights in your face actually makes you squint. It's insane how bright it gets. It's a multi-array backlight display, so there is a bit of blooming on bright objects on a black background. It annoys me, but I'm very picky.

The sounds quality is actually pretty decent from the TV itself. Especially in an age where most TV's sound like garbage, everyone wanting you to buy their sound bars.


All that said...I did look at the latest generation of the Samsung QLED series a few weekends ago with a buddy. We looked pretty close at the thing since he was in the market for a new TV. It seemed like it had MUCH better multi array backlighting and I couldn't see any blooming whatsoever no matter how hard I looked. That's the biggest issue I have with my TV. I'd prefer to look at it in a home environment, since stores don't often give a good accurate example of image quality, but it was great. He bought the TV last Friday...but it'll be a while before I can visit him and check it out. I believe it was the Q8F we looked at. Both the X900F/X950G and Q8F have superb black levels like OLED. It's damn near identical, except for the blooming.

Higgy10 Mar 24, 2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338183769)
Check out the Sony X900F and the new version the X950G.

I've been using the X900F in the exact same scenario you painted. I use it for console gaming and heavy PC use. It's my primary PC display, and in a psuedo-home theater room I've created. So it's hooked up to a Sony X700 4k player as well. My brother bought the X950G and uses it in the same way. He loves the thing. I have the X900F in 49".

I have no regrets at all with this purchase. There is never a worry about image retention or burn in using it as a PC display. There is a game mode, but I've never used it. I've played FPS and every type of game on it without even using game mode and I don't notice any lag whatsoever. Image quality is fantastic and HDR looks incredible. Games that have big explosions or movies that have that or where they shine lights in your face actually makes you squint. It's insane how bright it gets. It's a multi-array backlight display, so there is a bit of blooming on bright objects on a black background. It annoys me, but I'm very picky.

The sounds quality is actually pretty decent from the TV itself. Especially in an age where most TV's sound like garbage, everyone wanting you to buy their sound bars.


All that said...I did look at the latest generation of the Samsung QLED series a few weekends ago with a buddy. We looked pretty close at the thing since he was in the market for a new TV. It seemed like it had MUCH better multi array backlighting and I couldn't see any blooming whatsoever no matter how hard I looked. That's the biggest issue I have with my TV. I'd prefer to look at it in a home environment, since stores don't often give a good accurate example of image quality, but it was great. He bought the TV last Friday...but it'll be a while before I can visit him and check it out. I believe it was the Q8F we looked at. Both the X900F/X950G and Q8F have superb black levels like OLED. It's damn near identical, except for the blooming.

wtf i have the exact same setup lol, x900f with x700 4k player(65" version)Got a yamaha avr too?

@shrike basically what he said, its a great tv for all uses. No VRR support on it tho but you get dolby vision. As for the sound quality never turned the speakers on ever, always thru a receiver

shrike126 Mar 24, 2020 05:47 PM

Between the X900F, the X950G, and the X950H in the 49 and 55 inch sizes, is there much in the way of a meaningful difference to pick from?

Higgy10 Mar 24, 2020 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrike126 (Post 1338183876)
Between the X900F, the X950G, and the X950H in the 49 and 55 inch sizes, is there much in the way of a meaningful difference to pick from?

the 900f and the 950g are basically the same with the 950g having slightly better input lag according to rtings. No clue about the 950h

OverclockN' Mar 25, 2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

wtf i have the exact same setup lol, x900f with x700 4k player(65" version)Got a yamaha avr too?
Sounds like you have good taste. :p I use a Denon AVR X2400H. Probably upgrading it to a 4400 model when we're past the pandemic, hopefully. I just recently added front atmos speakers and loved it. I can't add any more speakers (7.1 or 5.1.2 only), so time to upgrade.

shrike126 Mar 26, 2020 10:35 AM

With everything slowed down due to the current health crisis ravaging our planet, I'm not in a big a hurry to do anything as I was. This weekend I'm planning on switching a couple rooms around to setup the new office and start to plan things out, and won't probably get a TV for another couple weeks.

I was looking at features online for HDMI 2.1 and saw this:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1581346800

It includes this chart of the new upcoming Sony screens:


If the 55" mid-range is really going to get 4K 120hz support in a future SW update, and will include eARC, ALLM, and VRR, I'm thinking maybe I hold off for this one over the X950G? (that's the one I'm really leaning towards right now). I'm also wondering if maybe waiting another couple weeks makes sense to see where prices are at and if Sony announces pricing for this new X90H model. :bleh2:

Higgy10 Mar 27, 2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrike126 (Post 1338184248)
With everything slowed down due to the current health crisis ravaging our planet, I'm not in a big a hurry to do anything as I was. This weekend I'm planning on switching a couple rooms around to setup the new office and start to plan things out, and won't probably get a TV for another couple weeks.

I was looking at features online for HDMI 2.1 and saw this:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1581346800

It includes this chart of the new upcoming Sony screens:


If the 55" mid-range is really going to get 4K 120hz support in a future SW update, and will include eARC, ALLM, and VRR, I'm thinking maybe I hold off for this one over the X950G? (that's the one I'm really leaning towards right now). I'm also wondering if maybe waiting another couple weeks makes sense to see where prices are at and if Sony announces pricing for this new X90H model. :bleh2:

i would hold out a bit just for the vrr support since gaming will be your primary use for it. Movies was my primary use when picking the x900f and a a little over a year ago vrr selection sucked

Athena Mar 30, 2020 03:24 PM

The Vizio M, recent model, 4K HDR Quantom dot has all the bells and also does
AMD Freesync. I got the 42" for well under 400 bucks and it is 120hz

shrike126 Mar 30, 2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athena (Post 1338185021)
The Vizio M, recent model, 4K HDR Quantom dot has all the bells and also does
AMD Freesync. I got the 42" for well under 400 bucks and it is 120hz

I didn't even think about looking at Vizio, was focusing on Samsung, LG, and Sony sets since I saw they announced a lot regarding HDMI 2.1 at CES. Slipped under my radar. I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the tip. :up:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com