Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Blair Witch game (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34049538)

nutcrackr Jun 16, 2019 09:51 PM

Blair Witch game

Bloober Team are working on an official Blair Witch game. Set in 1996, you go after a boy that is missing in the woods. You will be joined by a dog named Bullet.

Game is out August 30, 2019. Bloober Team previously did Layers of Fear 1/2 and Observer.

Kain Jun 17, 2019 01:10 AM

Yep, already on my Steam wishlist. I've really liked everything Bloober Team has done so far. Plus, I'm a big fan of The Blair Witch Project.

Thr0tt Jun 17, 2019 03:01 AM

Unlike the original film this one shows a "generic" monster in the reveal so there is 90% of the suspense gone. They also stated is Blair Witch by name only and its their own story with the only similar thing appearing to be the wood has the same name.

zizbuka Jun 17, 2019 06:43 AM

Will I have the option to shoot an annoying girl who won't shut up? That's what I remember of Blair Witch. That and the 3 games Gathering Of Developers released.

Exposed Jun 17, 2019 08:58 AM

The best Blair Witch game was the first by the Nocturne creators. Cleverly disguised as a semi Nocturne sequel. Very well done, kept the Blair Witch mythology while keeping the game genuinely scary/suspenseful.

If they're just doing their own thing here, then they're basically grabbing the publishers money to fund their own game if it's "by name only".

It probably won't be as good as GoD's Blair Witch game as well.

kboye Jun 18, 2019 09:35 AM

Wait, what? Semisequal to Nocturne? Was it called Blair Witch? I always thought that was Blood Rayne :heart: (Svetlana mission)

Exposed Jun 18, 2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kboye (Post 1338138355)
Wait, what? Semisequal to Nocturne? Was it called Blair Witch? I always thought that was Blood Rayne :heart: (Svetlana mission)

Yup, a direct followup to Nocturne in the Blair Witch universe. Though, you don't get to play as the Stranger, but he has a major appearance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blair_...I:_Rustin_Parr

kboye Jun 18, 2019 05:13 PM

Rustin Parr! Can't believe I missed that! THANKS :D

zizbuka Jun 19, 2019 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kboye (Post 1338138355)

The executable is even nocturne.exe. There were 3 Blair Witch games back then. I think Gathering Of Developers was the publisher for all 3, but not sure. I still have the discs, something about the cases they used is just cool to me.

Exposed Jun 19, 2019 08:02 AM

Terminal Reality is the developer behind Nocturne and Blair Witch 1.

Blair Witch 2 and 3 were done by other studios.

Was cool that TR, when contracted to make the first game, said "Hey, let's put our Nocturne characters in there". :lol:

Athena Jun 19, 2019 09:41 AM

Rustin Parr and Nocturne where great games with poor controls that really need to be remade with modern RTX graphics. The story's and atmosphere are still rarely matched in modern games.

Love the dread and scares!

Athena Jul 29, 2019 03:47 PM

Updated trailer, get a spare clean pair of undies ready for the August release. :)

Exposed Jul 29, 2019 04:20 PM

Regular games that claim to be scary aren't scary at all, because they're just games or give you guns.

By regular, I mean standard run of the mill play on your monitor or TV.

VR horror games, on the other hands, is just too much for me. Especially when the game makes use of jump scares. Completely different feeling when you're "in the game".

I learned this real quick with even simple games like Dreadhalls where it looks amusingly like an old outdated dungeon game on a flat screen, but holy **** those halls come to life in VR.

nutcrackr Jul 29, 2019 09:35 PM

Looks neat. They can really **** with people if they kill that dog after it has been useful the whole game.

Kain Aug 15, 2019 02:17 AM

Pre-order is up on Steam.

logical Aug 15, 2019 02:21 AM

Ill probably pick this one up on xbox to play in the living room.

Exposed Aug 30, 2019 09:54 PM

This game runs like **** on my 2080Ti at 4k. Supposedly there's a performance patch live but have no idea if my game has it since i downloaded using xbox game pass. Steam has the patch live already.

Then, theres this annoying ass depth of field effect where only the center of the screen is sharp and clear, everywhere around the center is fuzzy and blurred.

Wish there was a way to turn off this crap cinematic effect.

nutcrackr Aug 30, 2019 10:07 PM

Yeah heard it runs crap, what a shame.

Exposed Aug 30, 2019 10:33 PM

This game pass BS is proving why it's better to just get the game on steam. There's no support or community on xbox game pass for PC, so the only place for game update news is Steam community. Except the devs seem to be ignoring any questions for game pass gamers, and steam version already has the day 1 patch while I can't tell Dick from Jane if it's applied to game pass version. Reading from others the day 1 patch has not yet been applied to game pass.

Evileh Aug 31, 2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338150392)
This game pass BS is proving why it's better to just get the game on steam. There's no support or community on xbox game pass for PC, so the only place for game update news is Steam community. Except the devs seem to be ignoring any questions for game pass gamers, and steam version already has the day 1 patch while I can't tell Dick from Jane if it's applied to game pass version. Reading from others the day 1 patch has not yet been applied to game pass.

Nope no patch yet, that's because the xbox version (still pc) and ps4 have to go through quality assurance testing before the patch is live. So yeah the game pass version even though being pc is still probably bound to those terms because it's on live. I'm assuming gears 5 even though it being on steam will be bound to the same terms because it also uses live.

Mangler Aug 31, 2019 03:11 PM

The gamepass version of metro did not get any patches until the first part of the season pass was out.

Seems like the publishers are happy to take the gamepass money but are not willing to support the gamepass versions properly.

Evileh Aug 31, 2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1338150470)
The gamepass version of metro did not get any patches until the first part of the season pass was out.

Seems like the publishers are happy to take the gamepass money but are not willing to support the gamepass versions properly.

again... certification requirements

Exposed Aug 31, 2019 05:57 PM

According to devs patch will be rolled out to windows store version in a few days.

Evileh Aug 31, 2019 06:47 PM

Best dog I've seen in a game. Also, with having an icue keyboard, the integration in it makes those scary moments where weird **** is happening even more immersive. Pitch black and weird ass tree and sounds in front of my keyboard goes off like a haunted Christmas tree right at the exact moment. I was like holy Christ that scared me.

Dungeoncrawler Aug 31, 2019 09:57 PM

I played it a few hours last night. I have to say it actually made me feel somewhat sensitive to what I could best describe as a sense of doom. The environment is creepy, and the oppressive feeling that something bad is about to happen to Bullet kept me nervous. And horror games typically don't make me feel this way :evil: . Not sure about the patch on game pass, but it runs well enough on my system.

nutcrackr Aug 31, 2019 11:14 PM

I kinda want to try it but might wait a few days for the winblows store patch.

Thr0tt Sep 1, 2019 02:09 AM

Reviews say glitchy and not scary due to dog prewarning all the time ? Straight to gamepass surely indicates preemptive dud in the making like straight to dvd movies ?

Dungeoncrawler Sep 1, 2019 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thr0tt (Post 1338150539)
Reviews say glitchy and not scary due to dog prewarning all the time ? Straight to gamepass surely indicates preemptive dud in the making like straight to dvd movies ?

I did get stuck in the environment once resulting in lost time due to reload. Not sure it releasing to game pass constitutes a bad game. More likely a lure to purchase the service?

Exposed Sep 1, 2019 08:09 AM

The shitty performance is apparent in the prologue daytime areas. However, once it turns nightfall, I seem to be at 60fps locked at 4k with everything cranked.

The game itself is quite good, and Bullet appears to be a good dog companion with decent AI. Yes, he will bark if he finds something suspicious and nudge you to go there, which kinda makes sense because dogs can smell and find things normal people cannot with their own senses. To me it doesn't make the game easier, or less scary because he senses where something is lurking in the dark. You still have to find it (or it'll find you) and deal with it. Without Bullet you'd be sure as dead in the woods out on your own.

First encounters in the woods I think are well done. Not like Outlast where you're completely helpless and all you can do is run. They show the first enemies in the trailer so it's not really a spoiler to talk about them. They are camouflaged when still and move insanely fast. You need Bullet's help otherwise you're dead if you just randomly start running away or shining your lightly aimlessly. If you also run away and leave Bullet behind they will attack the dog and i don't know what consequences that will have, I just try to never that situation happen.

At the point where it's daylight again and the sheriff dies and you find his body. Can't say I didn't see that coming, the video and clues suggest someone he knew did. I'm starting to suspect it's the game character itself (Ellis) who's responsible, which is why he blacks out alot.

SirBaron Sep 1, 2019 11:37 AM

For some reason the fov on this kills me even on full. Never had this before with a game even the Consolitus of 360/ps3 era.