Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Backing up my Nexus 5 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34013610)

.nox Sep 9, 2014 12:14 PM

Backing up my Nexus 5

I broke my touchscreen. I'm getting a replacement in a couple of days. What's the best app to use to backup everything ( including installed apps ) and just restore it on my replacement phone ?

Thanks

ViN86 Sep 9, 2014 12:38 PM

If you're rooted, Titanium Backup is the best in my opinion. All backups are stored in a folder. Then just copy the folder to the new phone, install Titanium Backup from the Play Store, and restore all missing apps/settings. It backs up app settings too.

You can also backup to cloud storage and restore from that if you don't want to transfer files.

Zero Sep 9, 2014 12:42 PM

How does he work TB without a touchscreen?

.nox Sep 9, 2014 01:25 PM

I should've mentioned. Only the upper 25% of the screen does not work, the rest is fine. So I can manage to navigate if I rotate the phone when needed.

My phone is not rooted.

I've looked at cloud storage, but I haven't found anything that'll accommodate a 16gb backup for free.

I'm a real noob at this.

Zero Sep 9, 2014 01:43 PM

You can try Helium if you aren't rooted. If you're backing up to the cloud, I think you have to get the paid version. (alternative solution, make your backups on your phone then manually transfer them to cloud storage)

Local, physical backups are a bitch on unrooted Nexus devices because OTG often doesn't work and they don't have uSD slots. Maybe someone with more experience on N5 can chime in.

ViN86 Sep 9, 2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 1337571173)
How does he work TB without a touchscreen?

I wasn't sure if the screen was just cracked or if it was broken (as in non-responsive).

Without a screen, Nexus Root Toolkit can backup/restore apps: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

.nox Sep 10, 2014 05:08 PM

Alright, I ended up using Helium Premium and used the cloud.

Thanks again guys.

... I also bought this :bleh:

Zero Sep 10, 2014 05:13 PM

Oh be aware that there a few apps Helium can't back up. Notably, the default messaging app in 4.4.x tends to block backups for some reason. I use SMS Backup and Restore to grab my texts before doing a wipe. Look on Helium's app backup list, at the bottom it'll show what other apps it won't grab. You'll have to find workarounds to preserve the data for those if you need them.

Sazar Sep 10, 2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .nox (Post 1337572013)
Alright, I ended up using Helium Premium and used the cloud.

Thanks again guys.

... I also bought this :bleh:

I run my phone naked. Have 3 cases, don't use em because of my wireless charger in the car. The cases make the phone slide off the magnets when cornering :bleh2:

Austin has some curves, I might be taking them a bit faster than I used to.

:bleh2:

.nox Sep 11, 2014 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 1337572018)
Oh be aware that there a few apps Helium can't back up. Notably, the default messaging app in 4.4.x tends to block backups for some reason. I use SMS Backup and Restore to grab my texts before doing a wipe. Look on Helium's app backup list, at the bottom it'll show what other apps it won't grab. You'll have to find workarounds to preserve the data for those if you need them.

That's the only thing that's been causing me problems actually. I restored my messages and they still wouldn't show up.

Thanks man, I'll look into SMS Backup.

.nox Sep 11, 2014 10:19 AM

SMS Backup worked like a charm. Cheers. :up:

Zero Sep 11, 2014 03:23 PM

Glad you got it sorted out :)

eNforcer Sep 12, 2014 08:10 PM

Just curious, did you use the new 'one free' replacement from Google?

.nox Sep 14, 2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eNforcer (Post 1337573258)
Just curious, did you use the new 'one free' replacement from Google?

I saw something about a free replacement and called Google up and they told me there was no such thing.

Can you link me ?

dreamwalker Sep 14, 2014 06:41 PM

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/14...e-criteria.htm

US only. I'm out.

ElBerryKM13 Sep 14, 2014 07:38 PM

wait a sec. So there is no official way to backup an android phone? Just paid apps?

Zero Sep 14, 2014 07:49 PM

You can set it to backup and restore to your google account but 3rd party tools give you more control.

ViN86 Sep 16, 2014 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 (Post 1337574088)
wait a sec. So there is no official way to backup an android phone? Just paid apps?

You can do it via adb. The second tool I linked is just a convenient GUI for it.

Also, both methods I linked are free. Although the Pro version of Titanium Backup has better features.