Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   COD2 "Intel Patch" a cheap trick (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33845917)

FX-Overclocking Feb 18, 2006 02:26 PM

COD2 "Intel Patch" a cheap trick

Have any of you noticed??? Now that Call of Duty 2 has had it's Intel only patch, it seems that the top Intel CPU's out gun that of rival AMD.

So let me get this striaght.... becuase Intel pays off Activision they only release a patch to fix Intel chips and basically screw the AMD users. VERY cheap... if they can make a custom patch to give Intel users more speed, then they could have done it for AMD users too, but didn't. Not only that, but they neglect to give a general all CPU patch as well, in order to keep giving Intel an advantage????

More total crap :mad:

Utrion Feb 18, 2006 02:31 PM

have you seen benchamrks that the Intel CPUs actually win the AMDs one on this game?

nextbillgates Feb 18, 2006 02:32 PM

Link to patch?

Utrion Feb 18, 2006 02:35 PM

http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/gam...h_101.exe.html

nextbillgates Feb 18, 2006 02:37 PM

I've seen benchmarks of it providing improvement for AMD systems. I'm not sure what the OP is rambling about :confused:

ronbo613 Feb 18, 2006 05:25 PM

My copy of COD2 came with an eVGA video card as a promo item. The patch says "retail" game, so I'm assuming this patch will not work with the game I have?
Headed over to Activision right now to see what's up.

DaJMasta Feb 18, 2006 05:40 PM

My guess is it would work.

As for the patch.... it's not a cheap trick unless:
-It cripples AMD processors
-It enables features which will run on both....only for the intel processors

If it increases performance on intel chips because of some architecture quirk they have, without hurting AMD performance, this is no bad thing.

In all possibility, it could be as you described, adding a feature just for intel chips which will still work on AMD ones, but until I see otherwise, this patch is a good thing.

And Fuku2..... that scares me :hmm:

EDIT: now I'm fairly convinced it is not one sided.
Quote:

Call of Duty 2 by Infinity Ward - retail v1.01 HTT patch

This Call of Duty 2 update is recommended for Windows 2000/XP users with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology) enabled processors, multiple processors, or systems with a dual core processor. This update will bring any supported version of Call of Duty 2 up to version 1.01. This upgrade will not affect pure server, and will not affect your ability to join or host multiplayer games with version 1.0 players.

Infinity Ward worked closely with Intel to improve Call of Duty 2 performance on systems with HT Technology, multiple processors, or dual core processors. If you do not know whether you have a multi-processor, dual core, or HT Technology enabled system, please see the ReadMe file for simple instructions on checking your system.

Please note that Call of Duty 2 is a very graphically intense game. The greatest performance increase from this upgrade will be realized by selecting Optimal System Settings in the Options menu.

This update supports US/UK English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish, and Russian language versions of Call of Duty 2 only.
It divides up some work to make it run better on multicore CPUs. Since Intel's HTT tech emulates this, they get a moderate boost even on a single core system. It looks like a good step toward making Dual Core CPUs mainstream. So in my opinion: Nothing but good.

ronbo613 Feb 18, 2006 05:48 PM

I don't want to change the subject, but I read somewhere how to display the framerate with COD2, but I forgot it. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Xiro Feb 18, 2006 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking
Have any of you noticed??? Now that Call of Duty 2 has had it's Intel only patch, it seems that the top Intel CPU's out gun that of rival AMD.

So let me get this striaght.... becuase Intel pays off Activision they only release a patch to fix Intel chips and basically screw the AMD users. VERY cheap... if they can make a custom patch to give Intel users more speed, then they could have done it for AMD users too, but didn't. Not only that, but they neglect to give a general all CPU patch as well, in order to keep giving Intel an advantage????

More total crap :mad:

I know the above isn't true but if it was, how is it any different then the "Nvidia: blah blah played, this game runs best on Nivdia" that we are fed every so often when we fire up a game?

FX-Overclocking Feb 18, 2006 09:40 PM

Because they never delivered a "Nvidia only" patch to improve speeds on JUST those cards. Thats exactly what they did with the intel patch. This isn't a hard issue to see people... I fail to see why you can't understand it.

nextbillgates Feb 18, 2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Because they never delivered a "Nvidia only" patch to improve speeds on JUST those cards. Thats exactly what they did with the intel patch. This isn't a hard issue to see people... I fail to see why you can't understand it.

Do you know why we don't seem to "get it"?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...y_2_dual-core/

Thank you.

/thread

FX-Overclocking Feb 18, 2006 10:29 PM

Did you even read the conclusion???? It states theres no improvement on AMD chips, even negative.

"After looking over the results, we were extremely surprised. The Athlon 64 X2 4200+ system failed to yield any performance improvements in Call of Duty 2 1.01, regardless of the graphics card used. Our efforts with AMD’s flagship Athlon 64 X2 4800+ proved equally fruitless -- regardless of the configuration we used, we didn’t see any performance improvements from the new Call of Duty 2 patch."

nextbillgates Feb 18, 2006 10:43 PM

Quote:

Did you even read the conclusion???? It states theres no improvement on AMD chips, even negative.

"After looking over the results, we were extremely surprised. The Athlon 64 X2 4200+ system failed to yield any performance improvements in Call of Duty 2 1.01, regardless of the graphics card used. Our efforts with AMD’s flagship Athlon 64 X2 4800+ proved equally fruitless -- regardless of the configuration we used, we didn’t see any performance improvements from the new Call of Duty 2 patch."

I guess you must have skipped over the part where the Intel chip doesn't show any performance improvement either, and also dip into negative territory.

eatyour1337ies Feb 18, 2006 10:43 PM

Now that you mention it, even the Intel duallys are showing a loss in the majority of tests there. I don't think Intel would screw itself, so something must be afoot.

FX-Overclocking Feb 19, 2006 02:25 AM

This beggs the question: Why didn't they just release a general patch that included numerous fixed and not just a Hyper Threading patch??? Also, why make special notes that the patch is for Intel CPU's only? It's all very odd.

Xiro Feb 19, 2006 02:43 AM

man, I can tell you love amd but seriously, you are blowing this thing WAY out of proportion.

nextbillgates Feb 19, 2006 02:46 AM

Quote:

This beggs the question: Why didn't they just release a general patch that included numerous fixed and not just a Hyper Threading patch??? Also, why make special notes that the patch is for Intel CPU's only? It's all very odd.

Nowhere in the patch notes does it say that the patch is limited to Intel CPUs.

DaJMasta Feb 19, 2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

No where in the patch does it say that it's only for HT processors.

HTT emulates having multiple processors, anything they could do to make it run better on HTT enabled systems would automatically run better on ANY multiprocessor system unless there was a malicious (and unnecissairy/unethical) check to see what CPU you are running.

This probably is not the case, and this patch is NOT A BAD THING.

Just because they worked with intel to develop it and did not specifically mention AMD dosen't mean it was meant to hurt anyone's performance.

Fat Jez Feb 19, 2006 03:22 PM

A similar patch exists for Quake 4, albeit in beta form. I installed it and now Quake 4 has multi-processor support. I think all that is happening here is that Intel is pushing the games software houses to support HT/Dual Core. I see no reason why this should adversely affect AMD processors.

Cheers,
Jez

fluorescenthat Feb 19, 2006 04:47 PM

You will have to buy an intel processor now! :D