Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   AMD Fusion, Integrated and Mobility Support (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Installing catalyst drivers on your mobile card... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33749227)

mad Mar 23, 2004 10:56 AM

Installing catalyst drivers on your mobile card...

Since so many people ask about it lately i have thought it would be a good idea to create this thread... hope this helps everybody...

If you want to install the official ATi Catalyst Drivers do the follwing:
  1. Download the Catalyst-Driver from www.ati.com
  2. Download the Patje's Mobility Modder.
  3. Extract the driver by double-clicking the downloaded file (installer will fail with an error, this is expected).
  4. Start the MobilityModder and and specify the folder you extraced the files to. (You will not need to specify the folder if you used the standard C:\ATI for it, Mobility Modder detects it automatically).
  5. Mod the driver.
  6. If you want to manually start the installation (i.e. answered no to the question about installing the drivers right away) just find the folder you extraced the drivers to and run setup.exe there...

If you want to go the easy way just go to www.omegadrivers.net and download the Omegadrivers, they will install without any additional work needed...

rinthos Mar 24, 2004 11:56 PM

Perhaps just a note, if the mod tool listed there does not function, try the alternative one found at: www.driverheaven.net (pajet's mobility modder).

Sometimes one works for people while the other doesn,t so having 2 choices makes things easier.
---

Vardamir Mar 26, 2004 08:32 PM

Yes I find the Omega Drivers work quite nicely on my mobile, still with some trouble but better than the drivers that shipped with my laptop (voodoo m:855 ... brand new but still had old drivers from the fall and the new catalyst drivers of course didn't work).

As a sidenote I tried mobilemod and it ruined my windows installation; every time i'd log in BSoD on WinXP.

alperuzi Mar 27, 2004 09:23 AM

patje's actually work better for most drivers, but they both lack some options with the latest drivers. For example I had to manually edit the driver inf files to put in Powerplay support for my mob9600.

edit: this is no longer the case with the latest patje modder 2.0

KinD^ May 23, 2004 08:39 PM

nice drivers fixed most all problems in gameing for me :)

tmnt May 25, 2004 06:15 PM

Can't get it to work

Ok I have tried every driver out there and power play doesn't seem to even be coming up. I mean I don't have the tab in the driver properties page. I have tried even going in and modding the inf myself and still no progress. I have a centrino 1.5 with a radeon mobility 9200 vid card with the latest bios can anyone help me.
Thanks,
tmnt

mad May 31, 2004 05:56 PM

Re: Can't get it to work

Quote:

Originally posted by tmnt
Ok I have tried every driver out there and power play doesn't seem to even be coming up. I mean I don't have the tab in the driver properties page. I have tried even going in and modding the inf myself and still no progress. I have a centrino 1.5 with a radeon mobility 9200 vid card with the latest bios can anyone help me.
Thanks,
tmnt

Well, most likely powerplay has been disabled by your vendor in the video-bios for some reason... Nothing you can really do about that (maybe ask your vendor)...

Guybrush 21 Jun 23, 2004 02:09 PM

Drawbacks?

Hi,
I have some questions about the modtool (no need to answer them all..)
I've just installed catalyst 4.6, it works fine but i would like to know what are the drawbacks (if any):
1) what about the specific features by notebook manufacturer (hot keys, power management..) are they still working? (it seems that my hotkeys don't..)
2) does this modtool only modify files of the driver that will be installed, or does it modifies other files? Is it possible to go back to the old manufacturer driver?
Anyway, this modtool is great!
Thanks for the answers
Guybrush 21

mad Jun 28, 2004 03:28 AM

Re: Drawbacks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guybrush 21
1) what about the specific features by notebook manufacturer (hot keys, power management..) are they still working? (it seems that my hotkeys don't..)

For me, everything works thing, including all the hotkeys...
You could try and end the two instances of Ati2evxx.exe in taskmanager (the ATi hotkey manager)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guybrush 21
2) does this modtool only modify files of the driver that will be installed, or does it modifies other files? Is it possible to go back to the old manufacturer driver?

It only modifys files from the driver that you are about to install, nothing else on your system...
And it is of course possible to return to the manufacturer driver...
Best way to do this is to use the ATi Catalyst Uninstaller or DriverCleaner to remove everything from the newer drivers and then just install the old one again...

Kurant Aug 9, 2004 11:39 AM

The newest DNA Drivers also added support for ATI Mobile chips as well.

Daggah Aug 20, 2004 12:49 PM

Anyone got a mirror for the download? My firewall blocks it.

mad Aug 20, 2004 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daggah
Anyone got a mirror for the download? My firewall blocks it.

which download? the mobility modder?

Daggah Aug 21, 2004 10:57 AM

Yes, Patje's Mobility Modder. The download links to the other modder in the other thread(s) on this forum don't work at all, but the download link to Patje's is blocked (I can access the host website, though.)

mad Aug 21, 2004 12:57 PM

i temporarily put it on my webspace for you: http://web.utanet.at/thall108/Dhmodtool2.0b.exe

Daggah Aug 21, 2004 03:11 PM

Well, it apparently doesn't support my mobile Radeon (7000 IGP.) All of the drivers I have attempted to install still wouldn't install.

J_K Oct 3, 2004 07:13 PM

does anybody know when this will support the 9800 radeon mobile chip? such as in the new dell inspiron 9100 and xps ?

mad Oct 4, 2004 04:40 AM

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=57351

[GDI]Raptor Oct 18, 2004 03:41 AM

Well, it still doesn't work on the Mobility Radeon 9600 PRO Turbo in my Dell Inspiron 8600c

Tried to say that I had a Mobility Radeon 9600, bu that didn't help!

mad Oct 18, 2004 03:45 AM

assuming you tried the latest drivers check this thread and follow the instructions in my post there...

patje Oct 26, 2004 06:50 AM

Hi all, small update :)

http://www.driverheaven.net/showpost...7&postcount=24

let me know if it works ok? i'll try to check this thread once in while

alperuzi Jan 20, 2005 10:43 PM

tried modder version 2.1 on the Catalyst 5.1 files and works like a charm. 2.0b didn't mod the XP inf file completely, but it seems to be fixed in 2.1. Good job and thanks again!

crxess Jan 24, 2005 02:41 PM

I have been wanting to update my drivers for some time. However the last attempt caused my Dell 8200 to lose Video out(to TV) will the new install method correct this?

phoyoco Feb 2, 2005 08:33 AM

The mobility modder tool works great for me every time on my Mobility 9600. Now if my laptop had more than 32mb vid RAM life would be good...

Falcon1 Feb 2, 2005 10:08 AM

Anyone know's whether the Powerplay Tab/Functionality is implemented in the CCC, too?
Got an Toshiba with 9700 running Cat 5.1 + CCC.

mad Feb 3, 2005 01:27 PM

yep, it is implemented

alperuzi Feb 3, 2005 05:17 PM

hmm, fancy icons! I wonder if it works any better than the CP tab...

Lachton Feb 18, 2005 12:20 PM

Im trying to install the Catalyst 5.2 drivers and have used the mod, but when i try to install i get a message saying "Zero Display Service Error" . I have a mobility 9200 card and am installing over my latest laptop drivers

johney Feb 18, 2005 11:11 PM

drivers

hei i'm trying to install the latest drivers for my ATI 9000IGP mobility card, but as i install the catalyst 5.2 it says "INF error", and so on. I have it running at 128, yet i am not satisfied with the shading, and other stuff, yet it runs the games without problems. I dont even know if this is a valid driver for the video card, and in my normal catalyst driver i am using, it won't let me see the samples because the OpenGL is not updated, or so it says. I dont know, all i actually want is to have this video card up to date, and running at its best without pushing it too far. If any of you know any way on how to doing this, please tell. Thanks

johney Feb 18, 2005 11:14 PM

yeah my system specs for this laptop are
Toshiba Satellite P-35
windows XP
Pentium 4 3.2 GHz HT
512 Mb Ram
ATI 9000 mobility
80 GB

mad Feb 19, 2005 05:01 AM

Do you have a 9000IGP or a 9000 mobility?

If you have a 9000IGP the drivers downloaded from the ati site should work just fine (no need for any modding).
If you have a 9000 mobility you will need to mod the drivers to make them install on your system. For instructions on how to do this see the first post in this thread.