Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tried alcohol for the first time (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34050232)

SubCog Nov 8, 2019 02:58 PM

Tried alcohol for the first time

I tried alcohol for the first time this week. My wife's been wanting to try it for awhile now, so we bought some rum to mix into some various drinks (coke, rootbeer, peach soda, etc). I probably drank ~4 shots worth of rum. Got a little buzzed, but not as much as she did! Neither of us got particularly drunk (and probably never will).

Honestly I didn't love the taste... kindof like drinking paint thinner. I don't like mixing it into drinks either, as it makes drinks taste like paint thinner. So by the end, we were just taking a shot of rum, and then drinking soda to wash it down.

Besides the bad taste, it was an enjoyable experience... (especially the sexual activities after!) Will probably do again, maybe with something that tastes better?

Any recommendations for a 39 year-old who's just starting?

Higgy10 Nov 8, 2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338160473)
I tried alcohol for the first time this week. My wife's been wanting to try it for awhile now, so we bought some rum to mix into some various drinks (coke, rootbeer, peach soda, etc). I probably drank ~4 shots worth of rum. Got a little buzzed, but not as much as she did! Neither of us got particularly drunk (and probably never will).

Honestly I didn't love the taste... kindof like drinking paint thinner. I don't like mixing it into drinks either, as it makes drinks taste like paint thinner. So by the end, we were just taking a shot of rum, and then drinking soda to wash it down.

Besides the bad taste, it was an enjoyable experience... (especially the sexual activities after!) Will probably do again, maybe with something that tastes better?

Honestly if you made it this far in life without drinking, quit while your ahead

Fuku2 Nov 8, 2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Yes, both wash your bits better in the shower that way it won't taste so bad. :)

Munkus Nov 8, 2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgy10 (Post 1338160474)
Honestly if you made it this far in life without drinking, quit while your ahead

This.

OverclockN' Nov 8, 2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Agreed.

I didn't have my first drink until 24, and I've still never been drunk. There are some drinks I somewhat enjoy, and will have socially...but I never drink otherwise. There are huge gaps between drinks, anywhere from 1 to 8 months at least. Just depends on what friends are up to, and we don't go out like we use to 5-7 years ago (I'm 37). Still haven't had a single beer I actually like, my body flat out rejects it. They're disgusting.

Elysian Nov 8, 2019 03:18 PM

I drank from the time I was 18 till almost exactly 1 year ago, quit at 36. Do yourself a favor and don't, it's not worth it.

bob saget Nov 8, 2019 03:24 PM

kindda like a lot of things, it just depends what you like. some people drink every day from the age of 12, and some never drink in their life... shots or drinking liquor straight will probably be the harshest taste, and as for drinks or cocktails, many are meant to be sweet or fruity, and definitely not as harsh as most shots. many bartenders are cool with recommending stuff too...

GSGRUNT Nov 8, 2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

especially the sexual activities after!) Will probably do again, maybe with something that tastes better?

reverse cowgirl:D

huskylord Nov 8, 2019 03:26 PM

I'm inclined to agree with most of the recommendations here. But as a guy here who responsibly enjoys a beer now and then (and the key is I enjoy the taste), if Sub-Cog does find there is a drink that he enjoys, perhaps in the company of others in social settings, I'd say it's not the end of the world to now and then take part.

I'll use myself as an example. I'm a pretty straight and narrow guy. Never did illegal drugs when I was younger. Now that weed is legal in Canada, I've dabbled with gummies and the odd joint and I found that I like it. It's still expense and will try them only sparingly, but I'm glad to have this as an option to enjoying an evening. (I"m also 46...I think....time is flying).

xCLAVEx Nov 8, 2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Me too, I just never acquired a taste for alcohol. This is why I don't get the world's obsession with it, that and it's expensive.

Mahjik Nov 8, 2019 03:31 PM

Nothing wrong with having a drink or two on a Friday night to wind down from the week.

However, when dealing with hard alcohol, price matters. Cheap hard alcohol will have overbearing strong taste/smell. It won't mix well, and really just exists to give people a cheap way to get drunk. More expensive hard alcohol will be smoother and blend better with drinks.

If you have any distilleries in your area, I would recommend seeing if you can do a tour. They typically have "tasting" tours where you can sample their products and they will usually be higher quality than the cheaper store bought brands.

Athena Nov 8, 2019 04:05 PM

I see no point in it but Mojitos taste great if you have to waste the money to alter the brain.
Better to never go down the drain, I mean road. I have dead family and friends from this stuff.

SirBaron Nov 8, 2019 04:09 PM

I mean... Is that normal? In the UK or Germany you'd pretty much a alcoholic by the time you're a toddler.

Exaggeration ofcourse, but still that's quite rare. Even a anti social 35 year old me even drinks in rare occasions.

Munkus Nov 8, 2019 04:09 PM

There is certainly nothing wrong with having a casual drink unless you're wired like some of us where it's easy to move from casual drinking to addiction. As long as you're wired normally, enjoy. For me, though...I stay FAR away from all of it.

OverclockN' Nov 8, 2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338160491)
[
I mean... Is that normal? In the UK or Germany you'd piratically a alcoholic by the time you're a toddler.

Exaggeration ofcourse, but still that's quite rare. Even a anti social 35 year old me even drinks in rare occasions.

I'd say it's pretty rare here in the US too, at least in my experience. I often think I'm the only one who couldn't care less about alcohol and would be just fine if I never had another drink in my life.

Quite frankly, the responses so far in this thread have surprised the hell out of me. Interesting.

bill dennison Nov 8, 2019 04:12 PM

I burnt out on drinking in the Navy
lost a lot of crackerjack uniforms in ports all over the world :o :evil:

pizza and dark beer :drool:
now and then is about it

I can go months to a year between drinks

huskylord Nov 8, 2019 04:40 PM

You guys are all missing that SubCog had awesome sechsy time with the wife.
We know he'll be asking her constantly now if she wants to open a bottle of red...

koralis Nov 8, 2019 04:44 PM

Cheap booze tastes like crap. That's the main thing... but yes, there is a certain amount of "getting used to it" also, and you have to be careful to ratio the liquor and other ingrediants properly... too much booze and it won't be a pleasant experience unless it's a sipping booze (like a scotch.)

Try making some classic cocktails... they've already done the work for you at getting good proportions. Here is one you might like on a cold winter's nigh...the Hot Toddy.

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/hot-toddy/#gs.fejk2a

One of my favorites... takes prep work though to make the syrup. The penicillin.
https://www.liquor.com/recipes/penicillin/#gs.feqatk

Moscow Mules are a cool and tasty vodka drink. Has the advance of being premixed since you're just buying a can of ginger beer.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...mule-cocktail/

Or the Rum version gets you a Dark and Stormy... again... Bacardi will work, but it won't be as nice as if you get a better brand of dark rum. Zacapa is great and good straight :)

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...ormy-cocktail/

A bit more exotic, but very nice sitting on your patio in the summer... the cucumber cooler (basically a gin and tonic + st germain and cucumber)

http://mymansbelly.com/2011/07/15/gi...cumber-cooler/

Whiskey sours are good... I recommend going a bit lighter on the lemon juice.
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/whiskey-sour

Anyway, who doesn't like a nice stiff cocktail? :hmm:

GSGRUNT Nov 8, 2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskylord (Post 1338160505)
You guys are all missing that SubCog had awesome sechsy time with the wife.

I tried to make a funny about it. Didn't seem to work:bleh:

Meteor_of_War Nov 8, 2019 04:54 PM

Tasted a lot of paint thinner in your life? :lol:

There's tons of different cocktails to try. Give some vodka drinks and gin and tonic a shot. Also, experiment with the parts per ingredient you use, maybe you were adding a bit too much alcohol especially since you've never drank it before. Then there's of course a billion different beers to try.

My personal favorite cocktail is Wild Turkey and Coke.

Eisberg Nov 8, 2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338160491)

I mean... Is that normal? In the UK or Germany you'd pretty much a alcoholic by the time you're a toddler.

Not unusual for practicing members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which he was a member of until recently.

DigitalDemon Nov 8, 2019 05:32 PM

Wow 39...
I haven't had a drink in 6 years, I actually poured a couple grand worth of old alcohol down the kitchen sink last weekend cleaning out the liquor section of the pantry.

Man what I would give to drink a Disaronno and Mexican Coke... Give it a try, it will taste like a smooth Dr. Pepper.

JZL Nov 8, 2019 05:37 PM

Pina Colada for beginners.

For sezzy-time, try a Creme de Menthe blow job. :cool:

Speaking of Creme de Menthe, Grasshoppers are nice, plus they are surprisingly good with cigars if you're into that.

SubCog Nov 8, 2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338160508)
Tasted a lot of paint thinner in your life? :lol:

I used to clean industrial paint-booths, so I've smelled more than my share of paint-thinner.

SubCog Nov 8, 2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisberg (Post 1338160510)
Not unusual for practicing members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which he was a member of until recently.

Yup. It's taken over a year of being away from the church for me to even consider drinking. Even still, drinking itself doesn't really appeal to me much. I don't need it to socialize. The only thing about drinking that appeals to me is the sex. Seriously, 100% of the appeal is sex. From this week's experience, alcohol definitely seems to lower my wife's inhibitions a good amount. Seriously, my whole train of thought leading up to drinking this week was like this:
  1. Wife mentioned she'd like to try drinking, but doesn't want to do it without me.
  2. Me not really interested in drinking, but then considers it might make sex with wife extra fun.
  3. Ok, let's go for it.

I definitely get why young single guys drink, when they're out trying to get laid.

Honestly, I think I'm only interested in drinking with my wife. I often go out to bars with coworkers, but I doubt I'll drink alcohol with them, as I don't plan to have sex with any of them. Not much point to drinking with coworkers.

Munkus Nov 8, 2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338160521)
alcohol definitely seems to lower my wife's inhibitions a good amount.

Something tells me there's MUCH more to this story. :D

DaJMasta Nov 8, 2019 05:58 PM

Unless you think you're particularly prone to addiction, I don't really see a problem with having some occasionally. Don't drink so fast that you pass where you are comfortable and get drunk or farther, and only bother with stuff you like the taste of.

There is a bit of that alcoholic taste/scent for most drinks, but a lot of mixed drinks mask it pretty significantly. There are also a lot of mixed drinks that are just a regular drink with a neutral alcohol... and those don't really seem like they have a point outside of getting the buzz going, at least to me.

Since it's about taste and you don't know what you like, maybe take some recommendations, have some sips of things people you know like, and then maybe try a tasting. Wine tastings are the default and can be good especially if you know you like a wine from the place, but there are beer tastings, cider tastings, liquor tastings, etc. - and it will be smaller portions, more variety, and what I find really neat, direct comparisons between flavor. Especially when trying to taste what the difference between things or how a pairing works, there's no substitute for trying them in direct succession.

Other "easier drink" kind of drinks:
Gin and tonic
Whiskey and coke
Mulled wine (especially in the winter)
Hard cider
Port or dessert wines

I'm not really a drinker but I've found some really tasty alcoholic beverages and the distinctive flavor of different kinds of liquors that when on its own is often harsh and unappealing, can fit surprisingly well into the right mixed drink or with the right food pairing - like night and day kind of difference. For me who doesn't really care about being drunk but likes some tasty food, this has been the big draw.

Cyko Nov 8, 2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

x1000

t3hl33td4rg0n Nov 8, 2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJMasta (Post 1338160526)
Unless you think you're particularly prone to addiction, I don't really see a problem with having some occasionally. Don't drink so fast that you pass where you are comfortable and get drunk or farther, and only bother with stuff you like the taste of.

This. My biological father is an alcoholic, can't get through a day without a case of beer, shitty beer at that. My brother (different dad) is the same way. Weird that this hasn't been my experience whatsoever, considering. I usually just drink socially, or with/after a meal and never ever felt like I needed alcohol. If you ever feel it becoming a need for any reason whatsoever, practice the discipline.

As an aside, it's okay to get drunk. Just don't drive, operate machinery, or create drama :lol:

I'm more of a beer person and I brew my own beer as well. In any case, as far mixed drinks go, these are my goto:

Moscow mule
Whiskey Sour
White Russian

A nice thing the gf and I like to do in the fall is get some apple cider from the local orchard, heat it up with some mulling spices, and drink it with a shot or two of rum (Sailor Jerry). It's quite good if you like cider and the rum gives it a tiny kick.

If you do get a good buzz, or find yourself drunk, do yourself a favor and drink a couple glasses of water before you go to bed 👍

Meteor_of_War Nov 8, 2019 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n (Post 1338160532)

Moscow mule

Whiskey Sour

White Russian

Those are great drinks. White Russians are my go to on holidays.