Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   THE Epic Games Store Thread (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34048614)

acroig Dec 4, 2018 01:22 PM

THE Epic Games Store Thread

As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we've heard that many of you want this too!

Soon we'll launch the Epic Games store, and begin a long journey to advance the cause of all developers. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019.

The Epic Games store will operate on the following principles:

All Developers Earn 88%
Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if youíre using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epicís 12%.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...ic-games-store

Watch out Steam!

Jet Black Dec 4, 2018 01:44 PM

Oh boy, now I will have seven launchers when I start up my PC? This is getting ridiculous.

I'm sure there is lots of good in this announcement, but the way all these games are tied to each platform with profiles, launchers, friends, etc. If they were literally just game shops, I wouldn't care. Makes things frustrating for consumers.

Seyiji Dec 4, 2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338107325)
As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we've heard that many of you want this too!

Soon we'll launch the Epic Games store, and begin a long journey to advance the cause of all developers. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019.

The Epic Games store will operate on the following principles:

All Developers Earn 88%
Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if youíre using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epicís 12%.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...ic-games-store

Watch out Steam!

Hoo baby you're not kidding that jams a pickle right into the deal Valve just announced. Doubly so since Valve only enables that **** for developers/publishers who make 10's of millions and it screws most indie games out of a better cut. Triply so since it favors Unreal engine users.

Valve needs to slide on back to the (with)drawing board :yep:

DaJMasta Dec 4, 2018 01:54 PM

My 'yet another launcher' groan is tempered by how pro-developer this model is. Steam takes 30% and offers **** for discoverability, only ok community tools, no external content promotion, and bare-bones tagging and search features... only taking a 12% cut is huge on its own and will probably draw a massive library in the opening few months, but specifically addressing community development/communicating with users and cross promotion with existing (youtube, twitch, etc.) platforms seems like important features missing from Steam.

So at least from that perspective, if it's not obtrusive (ahem, uplay), is functional (I'm looking at you windows store), and is actually functioning online most of the time (origin...), I'd probably prefer this platform to Steam, so I don't really mind it.

Perhaps the most interesting part will be how other services, especially Steam, react to it. Wonder if we'll just see a reduced distributor tax across the board and some improved integration and communication features. There's also the potential that a store with only a small cut removed will make starting or maintaining your own publisher's store so much less lucrative that it will help stem the tide of new launchers, but I guess we'll have to see.

logical Dec 4, 2018 02:06 PM

I dont really want another launcher.

I also dont try and make a living on a digital store either so my thoughts about the situation are purely from a consumer perspective. I already have an epic account so Im assuming they will migrate those people over.

Seyiji Dec 4, 2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1338107345)
I dont really want another launcher.

I also dont try and make a living on a digital store either so my thoughts about the situation are purely from a consumer perspective. I already have an epic account so Im assuming they will migrate those people over.

Just fired up the epic launcher. They're using that as their client so if you had that for UT or fortnite or whatever the bam done and dusted.

logical Dec 4, 2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seyiji (Post 1338107347)
Just fired up the epic launcher. They're using that as their client so if you had that for UT or fortnite or whatever the bam done and dusted.

Done and done. Had Epic Launcher for UT for quite a bit.

Drexion Dec 4, 2018 02:21 PM

Considering fortnite is the biggest game in the world right now, (something like 200 million active users and 10mil concurrent players) - the epic client is probably already more widely installed than most of the other platforms you might already have on your system.

As someone said above, it's going to be interesting to see how the other platform's respond, 88% is a fair jump in the content creator's direction.

nutcrackr Dec 4, 2018 02:43 PM

Those breakdowns for developers will be quite enticing. Give it a year or two and it might be worth using.

KAC Dec 4, 2018 09:00 PM

Already have epic launcher since my son plays Fortnite.

Progression Dec 4, 2018 10:13 PM

Hey... this might force valve to make games again. :D

zizbuka Dec 4, 2018 11:57 PM

I've definitely been hoping for another game launcher/store to install. Can't contain myself :eek:

Lazy8s Dec 5, 2018 09:19 AM

Competition is good. I'll wait a while, but I like the idea of Valve not being the only huge game in town. Even if I'm not crazy about the idea of another launcher...

borat Dec 5, 2018 09:32 AM

They better give away a lot of free crap, or this will be competing with uplay as my last launcher to install and my first to uninstall...

SubCog Dec 5, 2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Progression (Post 1338107453)
Hey... this might force valve to make games again. :D

Condition Zero 2!

theshadowcult Dec 5, 2018 12:02 PM

Dont see this competing with valve... it may compete with gog though... wich may not be a goode thing.

Eisberg Dec 5, 2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshadowcult (Post 1338107516)
Dont see this competing with valve... it may compete with gog though... wich may not be a goode thing.

Is Epic going to be DRM Free and their launcher will be optional? If no, then they wouldn't be much competition for GoG.

acroig Dec 5, 2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisberg (Post 1338107579)
Is Epic going to be DRM Free and their launcher will be optional? If no, then they wouldn't be much competition for GoG.

Agreed, I see this as a direct competitor to Steam.

DaJMasta Dec 6, 2018 09:37 PM

Supergiant just launched their new game, Hades, on the Epic store.

The war has begun!

Seyiji Dec 6, 2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJMasta (Post 1338107819)
Supergiant just launched their new game, Hades, on the Epic store.

The war has begun!

More like punched into a bathroom stall and pickle flipped.

They even have the Playstation exclusive game Journey.

https://www.pcgamer.com/journey-is-coming-to-pc/

DaJMasta Dec 6, 2018 10:54 PM

Yeah, they're playing hardball. I wonder how long it will take for Blizz/Activision to make a play for it to... though I dunno if they need to since they basically have their own playerbase on bnet.

KAC Dec 6, 2018 11:29 PM

Epic is minting money. They are winning multi awards in The Game Awards.

Mangler Dec 7, 2018 12:39 AM

I guess we can look forward to a bunch of indie games being timed exclusives on the epic or discord store in the future.

Yay!

MNB4800 Dec 7, 2018 07:46 AM

And eventually, all fall back to Steam. Windows Store anyone?

GTwannabe Dec 7, 2018 10:00 AM

Just what the world needs... yet another crappy Steam knockoff.

Nascar24 Dec 7, 2018 11:39 AM

Well, Already had this one running in the tray since I loaded Fornite which never gets played.:bleh:

DaJMasta Dec 7, 2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNB4800 (Post 1338107865)
And eventually, all fall back to Steam. Windows Store anyone?

I'm hoping the epic games store at least functions correctly, the windows store is not a high bar to exceed :bleh:

theshadowcult Dec 7, 2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJMasta (Post 1338107919)
I'm hoping the epic games store at least functions correctly, the windows store is not a high bar to exceed :bleh:

Bar? The windows store is not a high FLOOR to exceed... The new one is actually WORSE than the old one...

DaJMasta Dec 7, 2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshadowcult (Post 1338107920)
Bar? The windows store is not a high FLOOR to exceed... The new one is actually WORSE than the old one...

Maybe the bar is buried somewhere under the floor :bleh:

Eisberg Dec 7, 2018 06:04 PM

Well a game I am very much looking forward to is going to be exclusive on Epic Games for 12 months, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.
Double Damage explains why they are going exclusive on the store with RGO here
https://rebel-galaxy.com/rebel-galax...ames-store-qa/

Also Epic will be giving away free games every 2 weeks for a year. First one starts on December 14 with Subnautica, then 2 weeks later it will be Supermeat Boy.