Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Console Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Official XBOX Series X thread (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34050391)

Nascar24 Dec 12, 2019 08:42 PM

Official XBOX Series X thread

Discuss,
Guess they couldnít come up with something original.
Shape is different.

SubCog Dec 12, 2019 11:26 PM

So I suppose the lower tier version will be Xbox Series S. They're definitely matching Tesla's naming convention.

Gandalfthewhite Dec 13, 2019 12:12 AM

heck even looks like a PC now. lol

KAC Dec 13, 2019 12:58 AM

That looks tight.

logical Dec 13, 2019 01:31 AM

Definitely looks like a PC. Hope the top glows.

SirBaron Dec 13, 2019 06:31 AM

For me the main thing isn't the design which looks basically like a black box with a glowing green top.

It's the fact how do you fit that underneath a TV.

DeathKnight Dec 13, 2019 06:53 AM

You going to post any info or video? lol

shrike126 Dec 13, 2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338166327)
For me the main thing isn't the design which looks basically like a black box with a glowing green top.

It's the fact how do you fit that underneath a TV.

My understanding is that it also lays flat horizontally. Which means it wouldn't be much bigger than a current gen console.

The name is dumb.

When I saw the announcement trailer last night, I legit watched it twice trying to understand what it was they were showing off. After that, I had to Google WTF an "Xbox Series X" really was. Only then did I realize this isn't a new edition of the current gen console, like the One S, but rather a whole new generation console.

:nuts:

logical Dec 13, 2019 08:43 AM

Even laying it down its kind of big to fit into most entertainment systems. I dont think it will fit in the area under my TV either way. It depends on how tall/long it is. Looking at the scale of the controller next to it, its about 2 and a half controllers and that maybe be too big.

Consoles have come full circle now :lol: MS said **** it we'll just re-purpose a PC and forget about trying to make custom pieces of hardware to fit in a small case.

This is going to sell like hot cakes even with an inflated price. Lets see what design PS5 comes out with. I feel like the hardware is going to be similar so it comes down to which one looks better. :lol:

shrike126 Dec 13, 2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1338166341)
Even laying it down its kind of big to fit into most entertainment systems. I dont think it will fit in the area under my TV either way. It depends on how tall/long it is. Looking at the scale of the controller next to it, its about 2 and a half controllers and that maybe be too big.

Consoles have come full circle now :lol: MS said **** it we'll just re-purpose a PC and forget about trying to make custom pieces of hardware to fit in a small case.

This is going to sell like hot cakes even with an inflated price. Lets see what design PS5 comes out with. I feel like the hardware is going to be similar so it comes down to which one looks better. :lol:

Yeah, after I mentioned that I looked around and found some renders of the Xbox Series X approximating the size, and if they're even close to accurate, this is a big bitch. It won't fit in my entertainment center.

Some are saying it's probably a little smaller than it looks like it is here, but even still, that thing is THICC.

SirBaron Dec 13, 2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrike126 (Post 1338166345)
Yeah, after I mentioned that I looked around and found some renders of the Xbox Series X approximating the size, and if they're even close to accurate, this is a big bitch. It won't fit in my entertainment center.

Some are saying it's probably a little smaller than it looks like it is here, but even still, that thing is THICC.

In a sense it's not surprising, it's what a 12 terraflop machine with a high-ish (for a console) end AMD CPU, and a SSD etc and it's probably (better have) the PSU also inside.

They're not going to make a tiny machine with that level of power and cooling as well. Sony seem to be better at making smaller machines, but I imagine the PS5 will be fairly large too.

Nascar24 Dec 13, 2019 10:42 AM

I guess it is finally true to the name XBOX

SubCog Dec 13, 2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338166381)
I guess it is finally true to the name XBOX

The xbone didn't look like a bone though. If any xbox ever looked like a bone, it was the original xbox360.

Elysian Dec 13, 2019 02:00 PM

I hope the price reflects how much money they saved on design.

Sasquach Dec 13, 2019 03:16 PM

So is Microsoft converging PC and Xbox?

So that PC is the one where you can do wahtevers to it, while the xbox is just the thing where you want to set it and forget it?

I Mean everytime MS releases stuff, seems like theyre moving to get PC and Xbox content released at the same time.

shrike126 Dec 13, 2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1338166435)
So is Microsoft converging PC and Xbox?

So that PC is the one where you can do wahtevers to it, while the xbox is just the thing where you want to set it and forget it?

I Mean everytime MS releases stuff, seems like theyre moving to get PC and Xbox content released at the same time.

I'm very okay with this approach. Between xCloud, the Xbox as a TV console, and Microsoft running Game Pass to give us PC games at the same time, this really feels like they're taking a very game centric approach to things this time around.

SirBaron Dec 14, 2019 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338166425)
I hope the price reflects how much money they saved on design.

This wonít be cheap itís pretty high spec, the cheaper slower version will be cheapish.

nutcrackr Dec 14, 2019 02:49 AM

Who is naming these consoles? Xbox One was a terrible name, for obvious reasons. Xbox One X was probably the worst console name so far. But they have really managed to outdoor themselves this time. Series X? Really?

Dungeoncrawler Dec 14, 2019 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338166504)
This won’t be cheap it’s pretty high spec, the cheaper slower version will be cheapish.

I believe mr. spencer has already been quoted as saying he will not sacrifice performance for price?

SirBaron Dec 14, 2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1338166511)
I believe mr. spencer has already been quoted as saying he will not sacrifice performance for price?

There's going to be a 2nd cheaper machine that will by current rumors be slower than the X in GPU (4TF vs 6TF) but have the advantage of the new CPU and other features.

While the expensive machine will be the 12TF beast and I imagine will be 600 or more. No way that version will be 400.

Nascar24 Dec 14, 2019 07:59 AM

They really shouldn’t go higher then $499 or it’s going to be a hard sell for the masses.

SubCog Dec 14, 2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338166516)
There's going to be a 2nd cheaper machine that will by current rumors be slower than the X in GPU (4TF vs 6TF) but have the advantage of the new CPU and other features.

While the expensive machine will be the 12TF beast and I imagine will be 600 or more. No way that version will be 400.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338166524)
They really shouldnít go higher then $499 or itís going to be a hard sell for the masses.

They haven't yet announced the lower-tier box. Rumors suggest that it'll be about the same power as a PS4 Pro, so I think it's reasonable that it could land in the $300-$400 range. If the low-tier box is priced well, I think that gives MS alot of flexibility to go crazy with the price of the high-tier box. It could be $800 if they want, and be perfectly successful selling in low volumes.

LordHawkwind Dec 14, 2019 01:11 PM

Agree it looks like a PC and that's fine by me. My Xbone X stands near my TV so I'm not bothered about the size of the thing. Will have to see what the noise level is like given the components inside but it looks OK to me.

Regarding price Phil Spencer has already admitted that it was a mistake last time around to introduce the Xbone X at $£499 and has committed to releasing this console at a better price point. I think to sell well and get traction it needs to sell for $£400 otherwise it's going to struggle.

MS still want to be the No 1 console player so they are aware that price is a big issue with consumers. Remember MS make probably more money on game sales so they need to have the console in gamer's hands from day one if it's going to be successful.

If they price it at $£600+ it's dead on arrival and their game sales will fall off a cliff. Also don't forget the game pass subscriptions they already have they don't want to start hemorrhaging those as most likely they won't get them back. If it launches at £400 I'm all over it but if it launches at a higher price point no thanks.

Nascar24 Dec 14, 2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338166540)
They haven't yet announced the lower-tier box. Rumors suggest that it'll be about the same power as a PS4 Pro, so I think it's reasonable that it could land in the $300-$400 range. If the low-tier box is priced well, I think that gives MS alot of flexibility to go crazy with the price of the high-tier box. It could be $800 if they want, and be perfectly successful selling in low volumes.

I don’t see the point of the low end model when it is less then what we have in the one x already. The only one worth buying is the real next gen console and $800 will be way to much.

SubCog Dec 14, 2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338166579)
I donít see the point of the low end model when it is less then what we have in the one x already. The only one worth buying is the real next gen console and $800 will be way to much.

Well it's not quite apples to apples. The low-tier Xbox will still have a much faster CPU than the xbone x, and will run the new generation of games.

Still, it would probably make more sense to have the low-tier Xbox at least match the GPU power of the xbone x, so they could carry over all the bc content. I'm hoping they push aggressively on price though. Would be interesting to see the low-tier box launch at $300, and the high-tier at $500.

Dungeoncrawler Dec 16, 2019 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338166579)
I don’t see the point of the low end model when it is less then what we have in the one x already. The only one worth buying is the real next gen console and $800 will be way to much.

rumor is the lower-tier will actually be the one x. microsoft will probably just rename it or something? btw the thing looks a lot like my spectrum wi-fi modem.

Ziklitschli Dec 16, 2019 06:40 AM

Not sure what's the point of an xbox now, just an inferior PC without console exclusives.

SubCog Dec 16, 2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1338166688)
rumor is the lower-tier will actually be the one x. microsoft will probably just rename it or something?

I highly doubt it. The key differentiation for nextgen consoles will be the cpu. It's unlikely that xbone x will be able to play the new games being made for xbox series. The difference between tiers will primarily be the gpu, which is far better suited to scaling games between low-end & high-end

jimjobob Dec 16, 2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziklitschli (Post 1338166698)
Not sure what's the point of an xbox now, just an inferior PC without console exclusives.

Ecosystem, game rentals, resale market, price.... Thereís plenty of reasons for the console to exist.

Sasquach Dec 17, 2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziklitschli (Post 1338166698)

Its probably very similar to how the ipod touch is basically an iPhone without the phone part.

The Xbox is a gaming PC without the PC part of it.