Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Bargain bin DS games (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33858689)

Ryan3dFan Jun 14, 2006 10:21 PM

Bargain bin DS games

So I just got my DS lite and have begun my quest to build a collection of games saving as much money as possible. I just found Polarium at Toys R Us for 10 bucks. Where have you had the best luck finding decent games at bargain prices? Target usually has a shelf of marked down games. I saw Viewtiful Joe and a few other decent DS titles on the shelf there today but their price scanner thing was broken so I couldnt' get the exact price and I didn't feel like asking at the time. I'll have to make a trip back soon. When buying console games I used to find that Blockbuster's GameRush always had some sort of promotion going and decent prices on preowned games. With DS games the preowned prices are laughable, almost insulting to my intelligence as they are hardly even discounted from the retail price, if not at all with some of them. So I pretty much blew that one off. They did, however, have a handful of new games on clearance for half off but none of them interested me. I'm not sure what Gamestop is like for used DS games but I imagine I could forget about getting them there with the original box. My Toys R Us experience made me realize that I can come accross new games at great prices if I look hard enough and not even bother with used ones.

So what have been some of your best scores and how do you try and keep tabs on when the deals arise?

ViCyniC Jun 14, 2006 10:43 PM

Here's one:

World Championship Poker for $5.96 before tax + shipping from Circuit City. Normally it would go for over $20.00 from other retailers. 7.0 from IGN and 7.3 from Gamespot.

:)

Ryan3dFan Jun 15, 2006 12:16 AM

Not bad. Thanks for the heads up. Would't pay 20 bucks for it but for less than 10...hell I might buy elf bowling. Ok, no, I wouldn't. But a decent portable hold em game, I'll definitely swing by Circuit City tomorrow and see if they have any here.

ViCyniC Jun 15, 2006 12:22 AM

I think the deal's only for online purchase...if it was also for retail store, it would've let you choose pick-up option...

But you can always try and get lucky. :D

Encyclopedia_b Jun 15, 2006 10:17 AM

i would imagine the ds is a bit too 'fresh' for bargin bin ... at least in the volume that you wish

i usually wait till they go into their 'greatest hits' mode and get the games for 20 bucks

Ryan3dFan Jun 18, 2006 03:27 PM

Perhaps it is too fresh for bargain bin prices to be predominant but I refuse to believe it's impossible to find games for less. It does seem that DS games have been much harder for me to find at less than normal prices than any other system though. I just built a PC recently and haven't paid full price for a single game. Got Oblivion for 35 bucks shortly after it game out, FEAR SE for 30, Call of Duty 2 for 25, and I could go on. Granted PC games are much more prone to drop in price over a short period of time than most other platforms. I have also built up my PS2, GC and Xbox collections quickly by searching for good deals. Perhaps I am just spoiled because of this and need to face the fact that the DS is a different ballgame and I just might not be able to buy a crapload of games at once like I have been able to with my other systems. But I haven't completely lost hope yet...

jimmt Jun 19, 2006 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan3dFan
Perhaps it is too fresh for bargain bin prices to be predominant but I refuse to believe it's impossible to find games for less. It does seem that DS games have been much harder for me to find at less than normal prices than any other system though. I just built a PC recently and haven't paid full price for a single game. Got Oblivion for 35 bucks shortly after it game out, FEAR SE for 30, Call of Duty 2 for 25, and I could go on. Granted PC games are much more prone to drop in price over a short period of time than most other platforms. I have also built up my PS2, GC and Xbox collections quickly by searching for good deals. Perhaps I am just spoiled because of this and need to face the fact that the DS is a different ballgame and I just might not be able to buy a crapload of games at once like I have been able to with my other systems. But I haven't completely lost hope yet...

One thing to consider when comparing this platform to others is overall game cost is lower. For example, I bought The New Mario Brothers new for $29.99 compared to Burnout for the PSP where I paid $39.99.

Also, this system is backward compatible, so if you count the GBA games that it can play you have just opened up a whole new world of bargin bin gaming :D

Jim