Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Tablet for my Daughter (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33999624)

RFtinkerer Mar 25, 2013 01:16 PM

Tablet for my Daughter

I know very little about tablets, preferring laptops or cell phones for my requirements. However, my daughter received a Tabeo kids tablet for Christmas from my mother, which now has a broken micro-USB connector. Fortunately, she had the foresight to buy the protection plan (I never do :lol:) and I have requested a refund through mail. That thing was buggy as Hell and slow.

I think she can handle a real Android tablet with much better performance; she's 8 now and quite good with electronics, and will be careful. Although I will get a nice case for it. It will need to be <$200. I see the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and Nexus 7 for that price range that look decent.

Do you all have any recommendations for my reqs? TIA

Mahjik Mar 25, 2013 02:05 PM

If you are looking in the $200 or less range (and new), I would check the Archos line. They have a few which are in that price range and their quality is decent.

Payne3d Mar 25, 2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFtinkerer (Post 1337202603)
I know very little about tablets, preferring laptops or cell phones for my requirements. However, my daughter received a Tabeo kids tablet for Christmas from my mother, which now has a broken micro-USB connector. Fortunately, she had the foresight to buy the protection plan (I never do :lol:) and I have requested a refund through mail. That thing was buggy as Hell and slow.

I think she can handle a real Android tablet with much better performance; she's 8 now and quite good with electronics, and will be careful. Although I will get a nice case for it. It will need to be <$200. I see the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and Nexus 7 for that price range that look decent.

Do you all have any recommendations for my reqs? TIA

Just for official software upgradeability straight from Google, I would get the Nexus between the two tablets you mentioned..

Danny Nissan Mar 25, 2013 05:34 PM

Yeah nexus 7 should be cheap and get latest android upgrades.

t0adp1p3 Mar 25, 2013 08:09 PM

Nexus 7 is a good tablet.

badboy Mar 26, 2013 03:20 AM

I would recommend IOS for a child
simply because it has many more apps for them

AdelphiaX Mar 26, 2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337203169)
I would recommend IOS for a child
simply because it has many more apps for them

You recommend cisco equipment? :bleh:

Budget is under $200, go with the Nexus 7. :up:

RFtinkerer Mar 26, 2013 08:13 AM

Went with Nexus 7. Thanks for all the help! Seems like a good tablet for the price. Used K-9 Protection for web use, only low maturity apps allowed.

...Now I want one. :cry:

t0adp1p3 Mar 26, 2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFtinkerer (Post 1337203229)
Went with Nexus 7. Thanks for all the help! Seems like a good tablet for the price. Used K-9 Protection for web use, only low maturity apps allowed.

Its a great tablet you wont be dissapointed.. I would recommend a ipad for an adult if you are into gaming on it, if not I would stick with a nexus 7. Other than gaming I think the nexus is definitely superior in the price/performance category. On the other hand if you plan on gaming, then ios is hands down far and above anything android has to offer. Barring that those windows beasts can play PC games.

ragewars_sc Mar 26, 2013 07:32 PM

Nexus 7! I have one.. its fast, cheap and up to date!

Hyrax Mar 26, 2013 08:32 PM

Kindle Fire is nice. I think she will like the the camera. It is the biggest thing missing from my Nexus 7. You lose so many features without the camera. Barcode reading is such a powerful tool.

Nexus 7 is still an awesome choice.

Would she like an ipod touch?

Hyrax Mar 26, 2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFtinkerer (Post 1337203229)

Splashtop allows you to access your PC. Basically giving you the power of a PC on the tablet. It fits well with Windows 8 gestures too.

RFtinkerer Mar 27, 2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyrax (Post 1337203922)
Kindle Fire is nice. I think she will like the the camera. It is the biggest thing missing from my Nexus 7. You lose so many features without the camera. Barcode reading is such a powerful tool.

Nexus 7 is still an awesome choice.

Would she like an ipod touch?

My son has in iPod touch and loves it. She doesn't like the small screen. I like the fact I can share my paid apps with her Nexus 7 (I have an Android phone), which I have to buy apps for my son's iPod separately. Anyway, Nexus 7 it was, and it is a big hit.

Maverick123w Mar 27, 2013 12:19 PM

Kindle fire HD or Nexus 7

ViN86 Mar 28, 2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Nissan (Post 1337202821)
Yeah nexus 7 should be cheap and get latest android upgrades.

+1 for Nexus 7

Canesfan2020 Mar 30, 2013 07:30 PM

I was very tempted to go with the nexus 7. went with the transformer prime instead.. not sure how I feel about it. Looking at the nexus 10 though

Thr0tt Apr 1, 2013 03:35 AM

Go for a cheap older generation iPad, its easier to lock down and restrict than android I have found. My 4 yr old and 6 yr old share my old iPad and I use the android.

KAC Apr 2, 2013 01:16 AM

iPad Mini.

Hyrax Apr 5, 2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1337208881)
iPad Mini.

Perky McGiggles Apr 5, 2013 11:04 PM

During my searches I ended up going with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9". It looks great, the speakers are awesome, and once I rooted it and installed a different interface it behaves just like any Android tablet.

I mostly use it for reading my school textbooks or other books that I bought, or surfing the web. Chrome looks pretty nice on there, and there is a way to get flash working with the Dolphin browser.

It's not the most amazing tablet, there are better ones for sure. But for the price, it's really hard to beat. It suits my needs perfectly.