Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Witcher TV series (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34048092)

Athena Sep 4, 2018 11:46 AM

The Witcher TV series

With Henry Cavil :cool:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/henry-cavill...ral-1828798390

I hope they can pull this off.

Lazy8s Sep 4, 2018 11:57 AM

Gal Gadot would be a better Geralt than Cavill :lol:

No, I just can't see it.

A major film studio with all it's resources and $350mil to do a 2 hour film, sure. Not a TV series with a guy who doesn't fit the part at all. Nope.

Exposed Sep 4, 2018 08:12 PM

Superman is gonna have lots of sex. And lots of it. Sex.

Nunz Sep 4, 2018 08:32 PM

Terrible casting for Geralt...

Argoon1981 Sep 4, 2018 09:53 PM

I will wait for the pilot to make my judgment but there's one thing, i don't know if is good or not that the TV series will be based on the books and not the games. My first contact with the witcher world, was the games and i never read any of the books so, i don't really know what to expect, to those that read the books how faithful are the games?

Arioch Sep 4, 2018 10:38 PM

The guy is a true fan of the games, so I have no doubt that he will put the effort into the role. I no longer dismiss casting choices anymore ever since I did that when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker.

Silent-Runner Sep 5, 2018 04:17 AM

he's not gritty enough for this role, but well, maybe he manages to surprise us all. We'll see, i guess.

ASCI Blue Sep 5, 2018 11:24 AM

More concerned than cool at this point.

Jay20016 Sep 5, 2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arioch (Post 1338089584)
The guy is a true fan of the games, so I have no doubt that he will put the effort into the role. I no longer dismiss casting choices anymore ever since I did that when Heath Ledger was announced as the Joker.

:yes: Though, he was lightning in a bottle... something that doesn't happen much, so I understand the concern.

If he's a fan, it may be a good thing, especially if he can get into some sort of producing role on it (which I think he could, considering his current status as an actor) he could do some stuff like Ryan Reynolds has done with Deadpool... or not, who knows. :D

Meteor_of_War Sep 5, 2018 12:16 PM

Meh, with good enough make up and wadrobe he could probably do it. I don't think playing Geralt takes any superb or unique acting skills. He's pretty bland actually in how he talks and acts.

Exposed Sep 5, 2018 12:51 PM

:lol: at people criticizing Henry Cavil.

If this no name can play Geralt (rather well), so can Henry....he is a well credited "actor" after all.

Lazy8s Sep 5, 2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338089732)
Meh, with good enough make up and wadrobe he could probably do it. I don't think playing Geralt takes any superb or unique acting skills. He's pretty bland actually in how he talks and acts.

They should have cast Jason Statham then :D He would have been a better fit. It isn't about how skilled the guy is. It's about being able to project a "believable" character. With Geralt, it's all about the bad ass look. One look at him and you know he isn't someone you want to tangle with. All I'll see with Cavil is Smallville lol.

Meh, he might pull it off. Like Arioch said, didn't think Ledger could be a convincing joker either, and I was never more wrong about an actor's ability.

We'll see

Hapatingjaky Sep 5, 2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338089736)
:lol: at people criticizing Henry Cavil.

If this no name can play Geralt (rather well), so can Henry....he is a well credited "actor" after all.

Cavill cant ****ing act dude. He has one style and when he tries to force it, he fails. Just look at Justice League when they resurrect him and he asks Batermang xo you bleed?

Cringe worthy acting.

Even worse in Mission Scientology.

nutcrackr Sep 5, 2018 10:07 PM

He could be okay, can probably do unemotional so yea.

Eisberg Sep 10, 2018 01:19 AM

So the casting call for Ciri was put out there. They are preferring to have a 13-14 year old girl that is black, Asian, or other non white minorities.

People seem to be up in arms about this.

For myself I really do not care. The race of the characters actually didn't matter for the world, it really didn't matter what color skin they had.

I honestly don't blame them for having some diversity, since in the books everyone was white, but it really doesn't matter to the storyline nor the fictional world for everyone to be white, cause that kind of race distinction wasn't important. If they turn Triss or Yennefer into an Elf or dwarf, then that would be something to get upset over, but having Ciri as a non white character when her race doesn't even matter in the books isn't a big deal at all.

The most important thing is whether the show is enjoyable to watch or not.

nutcrackr Sep 10, 2018 01:35 AM

Whatever nationality they make her, they'd need to make all Nilfgaardian that same race to match. So it would be interesting because they are informally known as the "Black ones."

Sounds like diversity for diversity sake, which is unsurprising in the modern world.

Picking a non-white actress will cause a **** storm though, and she will probably be subject to more abuse than Kelly Marie Tran got from star wars fans. The abuse will likely go to the showrunners and another others involved.

Lauren S. Hissrich has been chill on twitter so far, joking with people who are throwing abuse. But I think things will take a dark turn if the rumors are true.

Lazy8s Sep 10, 2018 08:06 AM

It doesn't matter. I'll wager they gear this show towards 'tweens, just like they did Sword Of Shannara. I won't make it through the first half of the first episode.

Munkus Sep 10, 2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338090750)
It doesn't matter. I'll wager they gear this show towards 'tweens, just like they did Sword Of Shannara. I won't make it through the first half of the first episode.

That's my fear as well. Shannara was horrible for that reason (plus terrible acting). I gave it two episodes before I shelved it. I loved the books, though.

The Witcher world is a pretty dark place. I can't imagine it translating to the small screen well, but Netflix has a decent track record so I'm cautiously optimistic. Now if it was Fox or the CW network...I'd say pass right now.

Higgy10 Sep 10, 2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338090750)

Ya that show was an utter tradegy. Terry sold his soul on that one

ASCI Blue Sep 10, 2018 12:48 PM

a 13 year old Ciri will still be in training. This is going to suck.

aop Sep 10, 2018 02:16 PM

Eisberg Sep 10, 2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASCI Blue (Post 1338090779)
a 13 year old Ciri will still be in training. This is going to suck.

That is because the storyline is from the book story lines and she was still a teenager when Geralt died.

nutcrackr Sep 12, 2018 09:58 PM

Latest rumor is that they're casting a white girl for Ciri.

Athena Sep 13, 2018 01:00 PM

How are they going to do 13 year olds with all the violence and skin Netflix is going to want in this show? Bad enough we are going to have to see Cavil's butt ever other episode. I still have some hope, but Netflix loves them some skin.

bittermann Sep 13, 2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcrackr (Post 1338091234)

Uh oh, someone's going to be outraged. The beginning of the end of the series before it's even started is the sjw way...

bill dennison Sep 13, 2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcrackr (Post 1338091234)

:bleh:

Lazy8s Sep 13, 2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338091354)

:bleh:

No bill dammit just no :p

Cara Delevingne gets my vote.

Athena Sep 13, 2018 04:31 PM

Seems it will be based more on the books and less on the game. As I know nothing about the books and have only played the 1st two in the game series that means I know even less what the TV show will be about now.
But here is a good write up : https://www.yahoo.com/news/witcher-n...083926451.html

Vanz_007 Sep 13, 2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338091376)

sheesh, what happened to her eyebrows... :lol:

bill dennison Sep 13, 2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338091376)
No bill dammit just no :p

wow those eyebrows is that cavemanjim's kid ? :p

I would go with red