Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Console Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   100 Million PlayStation 2's shipped (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33836920)

Vorpal Nov 30, 2005 03:59 PM

100 Million PlayStation 2's shipped

I guess that's somewhere around 100M units in 6 years. I still remember when they started selling them. Back then all the Fry's Electronics stores were Incredible Universes owned by the Tandy Corporation. The 360 launch looked tame to the lines I remember when they started selling it.

I wonder what a launch comparison of the 360 and PS2 would look like? 10:1 purchases? :)

Anyway... 100 Million :eek: a massive record breaker the 360 will never live to see. :lol:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140574.html.

Qb2k5 Nov 30, 2005 04:03 PM

LOL, All the Sony fanboys responding to that article is priceless.

badboy Nov 30, 2005 04:11 PM

:nag:

Vorpal Nov 30, 2005 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qb2k5
LOL, All the Sony fanboys responding to that article is priceless.

Ah, at least I don't have to hang my PS2 power supply up on a string so the unit doesn't crash. :lol:

DeathKnight Nov 30, 2005 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorpal
Ah, at least I don't have to hang my PS2 power supply up on a string so the unit doesn't crash. :lol:

Mine's running just fine. The power brick gets mildly warm at best and it's lying flat on a hard surface in a semi-enclosed space. Any crash issues are isolated cases. Take your potshots elsewhere.

Takezo Nov 30, 2005 04:47 PM

100 million? That's 20 million units a year for the last 5 years. 20 Million units a year is impressive. 22 million in Japan alone counts as one fith of Sony's sales. An impresive feat for a country that is but a shadow compared to ours. That's 22 million sales that will be exclusive to Sony even after the Xbox 360. This is important, because it will prevent Japanese blockbusters from being ported over to the Xbox. Sony launch has very sought after Japanese blockbusters that will give Sony a great launch. Don't be suprized if some people sell their 360's to get one at launch.

Xbox live is the only weapon that MS has to keep customers after launch of the PS3. The market in the end will be split from MS live players and Devote fans of Sony's launch titles. Nither side will aquire any new fans than ones they had previously.

A price war will erupt, first adopters will be screwed, game prices will increase, innovation will decrease, clones and sequels will be released one after the other. The death of gaming is assured.

Sure the games they have out there now may be fun for a while, and playing them online is cool. Just wait till the entire market is saturated with the very same games you play now. Just as MMORPG players play them selfs sick of the game they regard as the second comming of Jesus. Gamers too, will become sick of these games eventualy. :p

It's imposible for the averaged minded person to understand now, but wait the next 5 years. Then you will understand. :evil:

Greasy Nov 30, 2005 05:06 PM

Quote:

The first PS2s were crap. I know I have one.

CurrentlyPissed Nov 30, 2005 05:11 PM

Quote:

Ah atleast I didnt have to return 40 PS2s to get one with a working drive on launch. Ahh atleast I didnt have to return 423948234923 PSPs to get one without dust/Dead pixels at launch.

Everything has problems at launch, you are obviously blinded by your fanboism.

EDIT*** My 360 also has yet to crash or have any problems with it. Guess I am just lucky huh? :rolleyes:

Qb2k5 Nov 30, 2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

err... I dont have a 360 if thats what you are inquiering. :bleh:

LimeyGeeza Nov 30, 2005 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed
Ah atleast I didnt have to return 40 PS2s to get one with a working drive on launch. Ahh atleast I didnt have to return 423948234923 PSPs to get one without dust/Dead pixels at launch.

Everything has problems at launch, you are obviously blinded by your fanboism.

I still use my release day PS2 and it works flawlessly I also have a release day PSP with no dead pixels.

Just remember - you hear more about the failures than you the success stories. :o

Vorpal Nov 30, 2005 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy
The first PS2s were crap. I know I have one.

Me too... I've put a lot of hours on it and it still works perfectly.

User error.

And my PSP has no dead pixels. Two are stuck I think - I need to run that untick video sometime.

Greasy Nov 30, 2005 05:22 PM

Quote:

User error.

User error... :lol:

No smart ass, it doesn't play DVDs worth a damn.

Most of my friends that bought when I did have had to replace theirs because of faulty trays. I got lucky with that.

vazel Nov 30, 2005 05:29 PM

rofl! i love it when they claim 'user error'. everything has a few problems, and yes, i too remember the problems with the laser on first gen ps2 hardware having problems reading data. only in the era of forums where any whiny brat can register and post we hear more and more about this stuff.

Miikkrusoff Nov 30, 2005 05:30 PM

I knew it! The PS2 Rawks!!!!!!! I can't wait for the PS3, I've already begun saving 4 it. I loove Sony. ^-^

Vorpal Nov 30, 2005 05:39 PM

Actually from that article:

PS1: 7,800 Games
PS2: 6,200 Games

Which means the PS2 has 14,000 playable games and the PS3 will have the same number playable at launch. Also add in the rumored ability to play all PSP games on the PS3....

Opps.... the Xbox only has 894 total games. And backwards compatability does not include all of those games. That's just sad. :lol:

CurrentlyPissed Nov 30, 2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimeyGeeza
I still use my release day PS2 and it works flawlessly I also have a release day PSP with no dead pixels.

Just remember - you hear more about the failures than you the success stories. :o

100% agree that you here more failure stories than success. But my PSP has 3 dead pixels, cousin's has 4. And I had to return my launched PS2 several times.

But guys its just user error! LAWL

Vorporal wanna tell me how many of those PS2 games were actually good? There are so many crap games on that system its horrifying.

chew Nov 30, 2005 07:01 PM

Quote:

Actually from that article:

PS1: 7,800 Games
PS2: 6,200 Games

Which means the PS2 has 14,000 playable games and the PS3 will have the same number playable at launch. Also add in the rumored ability to play all PSP games on the PS3....

Opps.... the Xbox only has 894 total games. And backwards compatability does not include all of those games. That's just sad. :lol:

14000 games which only 0.02% of which are worth playing. Get the sony stick outa your ass and try again.

Vorpal Nov 30, 2005 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the chew
14000 games which only 0.02% of which are worth playing. Get the sony stick outa your ass and try again.

LOL, I have a 360. You guys are you easy.

Although I'd say that PS2 had many more 90%+ games than the Xbox.

CurrentlyPissed Nov 30, 2005 09:24 PM

Quote:

LOL, I have a 360. You guys are you easy.

Although I'd say that PS2 had many more 90%+ games than the Xbox.

I owned PS2 GCN and Xbox and while I was mainly a PC person around the time I would say Xbox had more big hits or about the same. There are just far far too many crappy generic RPGs on PS2 that clutter everything.

_leech_ Nov 30, 2005 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed

Quote:

Anyone notice how biased people always seem to use very wild exaggerations to try and prove thier points instead of facts?

Anyways, carry on.

CurrentlyPissed Nov 30, 2005 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _leech_
Anyone notice how biased people always seem to use very wild exaggerations to try and prove thier points instead of facts?

Anyways, carry on.

Yes I REALLY meant I returned 40 PS2s and 4289472389423 PSPs :rolleyes:

Nascar24 Nov 30, 2005 09:37 PM

The sony fanboys are coming out of the wood work! LOL! :lol: I find it to funny watching you trying to explain away the sony problems, I have a PSP and like it but I am in no way going to justify the problems my PSP's have had, First one had dust, 3 Bad pixels and also liked to shutdown when it felt like it, With full battery charge, Second one that I stuck with has one dead pixel and also likes to shutdown sometimes, No where as much as the first. Skipped the PS2 all togeather because it didnt blow the Dreamcast away at the time and My guess I will be skipping the PS3 as I really dont think it is going to offer much over the XB360 if anything. Now fanyboys go back to your closets where you belong. :lol:

vazel Nov 30, 2005 09:38 PM

Quote:

Anyways, carry on.

lol, your one to talk. fanboys have their own kind of 'facts' so displaying real facts and analysis from respected sources to them does nothing.

CurrentlyPissed Nov 30, 2005 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24
The sony fanboys are coming out of the wood work! LOL! :lol: I find it to funny watching you trying to explain away the sony problems, I have a PSP and like it but I am in no way going to justify the problems my PSP's have had, First one had dust, 3 Bad pixels and also liked to shutdown when it felt like it, With full battery charge, Second one that I stuck with has one dead pixel and also likes to shutdown sometimes, No where as much as the first. Skipped the PS2 all togeather because it didnt blow the Dreamcast away at the time and My guess I will be skipping the PS3 as I really dont think it is going to offer much over the XB360 if anything. Now fanyboys go back to your closets where you belong. :lol:

No no no Nascar stop being logical!

I mean come on I have like 20 PS2 games a PS2 a GCN and an Xbox/360 PSP DS/GBA/GBC and a PC. But somehow SOMEHOW when I comment on a system I am a fanboy to that system because what I say is true.

chew Nov 30, 2005 09:43 PM

Quote:

Anyways, carry on.

How is 280 games exaggerating?

name em leech.

_leech_ Nov 30, 2005 09:49 PM

Quote:

How is 280 games exaggerating?

name em leech.

First of all, 0.02% of 14000 isn't 280, it's 2.8. Secondly, it's an exaggeration because "games worth playing" is a personal opinion. What you find worth playing isn't what other people may find worth playing and vice versa. Some people may very well be able to name a large selection (or 2.8, lol) of titles they find worth playing, others may not, especially those who don't own the system in question.

SSXeon Nov 30, 2005 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24

:lol: Xbox360 pwns j00! I had 2 ps2s, both screwed up and my friend has 4 that he has to open to work. PS3 will be pretty fast, but HDR+AA and raw 44pp power the Xbox360 is just better IMHO. I need to save up for a HDTV, S-Video is still 30fps right?

SSXeon

P1x44r Nov 30, 2005 10:01 PM

Quote:

User error.

User error. :nuts:

lukilla Nov 30, 2005 10:15 PM

100 millions...thats tricky, that number doesn´t mean that 100 million people around the world bought a ps2....A big chunk of those ps2 are actually replacements for warranty claims, despite the fact that sony fanboys bought 2 or 3 ps2 for x or y reason.:cool:

_leech_ Nov 30, 2005 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukilla
100 millions...thats tricky, that number doesn´t mean that 100 million people around the world bought a ps2....A big chunk of those ps2 are actually replacements for warranty claims, despite the fact that sony fanboys bought 2 or 3 ps2 for x or y reason.:cool:

It's 100 million shipped, not 100 million sold, it's right there in the title :p