Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Battlefield 3 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33946969)

night Jan 5, 2011 09:39 AM

So this thread reminded me...
Me and a friend went to lunch before christmas and were talking about Battlefield and these type of games. When it hit me... a Tron Battlefield.

Total conversion... someone get to it.

dawdler Jan 5, 2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spindoctor (Post 1336465017)
it'll be out this year. they need a product to compete with this year's call of duty game.

No no no, you got it all wrong. The game that will compete with this years Call Of Duty will be the next Medal Of Honor, which will have the same engine as Battlefield 3, play the same as Battlefield 3, share the same assets and GUI as Battlefield 3 but its gonna be... Medal Of Honor.

Its gonna be pure win!

theshadowcult Jan 5, 2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night (Post 1336465081)
So this thread reminded me...
Me and a friend went to lunch before christmas and were talking about Battlefield and these type of games. When it hit me... a Tron Battlefield.

Total conversion... someone get to it.

I don't think that would be very goode. A tron tank sim sure.

bigtabs Jan 7, 2011 05:20 AM

I'm bored so here's a wishlist for the PC version of BF3:
  • Demo recorder that you can rewind and disable nametags.
  • Server files available to all.
  • Server browser that works at launch (AND FOREVER AFTER!)
  • Inf only mode included out of the box
  • The most popular 4-5 BF2 maps remade (I'm thinking Karky, Sharqui and Kubra at least)
  • Working VOIP with locational audio
  • Queuing system for vehicles. I've a few ideas for this - essentially stops griefing for vehicles. Optional server setting.
  • Patching system that doesn't require massive changelists to make the 1 gig of encrypted bollocks worth altering (see BFBC2 patching system for what not to do).
  • Reasonable mod support (above point will help in this), including map editor and workflow info on getting new objects and models into the game.
  • Give us prone, but stop legs clipping through walls.
  • Let the servers have more control, for example UT2004 levels of game-changingness. Let the server run at a different speed for slo-mo or superfast games. Shouldn't be too hard to change the global tick-rate. Gravity too. It's a game ffs let people have control and fun. You don't have to join those servers, there will be plenty playing vanilla.
I realise it's too late for DICE to do anything about these sort of ideas at this stage in development (would that they listen to me!), but it will be interesting to see if any of them tally with their own plans and execution.

lumpyhed Jan 7, 2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theshadowcult (Post 1336465719)
I don't think that would be very goode. A tron tank sim sure.

http://www.spaceparanoidsonline.com/

{0}Salamander{0} Jan 7, 2011 09:18 AM

Its going to suck because of the consoles.

AllexxisF1 Jan 7, 2011 10:23 AM

Actually from what I have read, this new Battlefield is primed for the pc and the consoles will be the one sucking it hard.

Anyone hear any latest news on this title? pics? info?

This will be the reason I do an overhaul to my pc this year :evil: .

dawdler Jan 7, 2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtabs (Post 1336466834)
Queuing system for vehicles. I've a few ideas for this - essentially stops griefing for vehicles. Optional server setting.

Silly idea, because it would never work. So player #37 has access to Tank #1 now? Oh wait, he's sniping. And sniping some more. He's hiding in a bush the entire round.

*round ends because no armor was available*

Queues will only promote griefing, not stop it. Self moderation is best. An actual game admin is even better. Whatever rules you can come up, players will find a way to exploit it.

I also noticed you had "infantry only mode out of the box" on your list... Worst. Idea. Ever. Battlefield is not about infantry only and never has been. Did we cry for infantry only during BF1942? No we did not - because VEHICLES is what makes Battlefield. It wasnt until BF2 and people started moaning (rightfully) about the jets that DICE came up with a brilliant idea.

"Hey, lets remove everything that's BF and call it 'infantry only'. Yay, its bound to work on existing maps! We dont have to test it or anything!"

And then we spawn on a massive map originally designed for vehicles and it turns into a slaughterhouse. If there is 'infantry only' then it should be an infantry based MAP. Designed for infantry combat. Not a half-arsed mode.

Scart Feb 3, 2011 03:03 PM

Tomorrow gentlemen, tomorrow. Tomorrow we get to see BF3.

demo Feb 3, 2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scart (Post 1336491108)

:drool: sweet

Evileh Feb 3, 2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

I approve of this post! :up:

Chubz Feb 3, 2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

The more Battlefield games we have, the better. I hope they don't disappoint us!

Rifle_shot Feb 3, 2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Why tomorrow?

Sasquach Feb 3, 2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rifle_shot (Post 1336491284)
Why tomorrow?

Because after tomorrow is the weekend :)

Fricfrac Feb 3, 2011 07:46 PM

Teaser Trailer: 04 Feb 2011

As Scart mentioned, teaser trailer tomorrow! :D

http://kotaku.com/5751373/your-first...-battlefield-3

TriGGlety Feb 3, 2011 07:55 PM

Just give me BF2 with Dx11. :)

I know my PC is ready.

JonZ Feb 3, 2011 08:15 PM

bf3 march 2013

theshadowcult Feb 3, 2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriGGlety (Post 1336491376)

I know my PC is ready.

Also bigger maps with 64 players. I mean some of the maps from SP in BC2 would have been awesome 64 player maps :(

Gerard Feb 3, 2011 09:22 PM

Hopefully what we get tomorrow is some sort of actual ingame gameplay, do we really need one of these pre-rendered teasers when everyone wants to see the actual game running?

Fingers crossed..

ukHazard Feb 3, 2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriGGlety (Post 1336491376)

I know my PC is ready.

WTB some hitreg with it too. :p

spindoctor Feb 4, 2011 03:10 AM

teaser trailer -

http://www.ea.com/battlefield3/videos/bf3-teaser

spindoctor Feb 4, 2011 04:36 AM

Battlefield 3 ships Fall 2011 -- includes jets, prone, and 64 player multiplayer!

This is it! We are very excited to announce the first details on Battlefield 3 and to kickstart the preorders for the Limited Edition!

Battlefield 3 is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign all straight out of the box. As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound? All this built with our powerful new game engine Frostbite 2, which you'll hear and see a lot of in the months leading up to launch. For the full reveal on Battlefield 3, stay tuned for links to our cover stories hitting the gaming press throughout February, starting with Game Informer right now.

Battlefield 3 will release this Fall. You can preorder the Battlefield 3 Limited Edition at www.battlefield.com now. The exact contents of the Limited Edition will be revealed around GDC.

:drool:

Ninja6. Feb 4, 2011 04:44 AM

64 player mp on PC only. Hmm, sounds less like dedicated 64 man maps and more like a unlocked player count which isn't really the same thing.

spindoctor Feb 4, 2011 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja6. (Post 1336491631)
64 player mp on PC only. Hmm, sounds less like dedicated 64 man maps and more like a unlocked player count which isn't really the same thing.

i don't think they can get away with having 64 players on a map designed for the console limit of 24. it'll have maps specifically designed for the pc version. or at least, larger versions of the console maps.

Mangler Feb 4, 2011 05:07 AM

They are probably using the same system as in bf2.

I will not set my foot in any 64 player server anyways, so I do not really care if they are just putting 64 players in a map meant for 32 players.

lumpyhed Feb 4, 2011 06:29 AM

64 Players biatches!!!!!111oneoneoe :drool::up:

jolle Feb 4, 2011 06:46 AM

Well, Id imagine it would be like with BF2, but culling the 64 player size versions of the maps for consoles.
I mean they had the maps in 3 different sizes back then, so they probably will here aswell, just not ship the 64 player versions on the consoles.
Seems kinda unfair to assume 64 player would be the 32 player map size with more players.

Perky McGiggles Feb 4, 2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja6. (Post 1336491631)

The fact that they have jets in this game tells me the maps are going to be rather large. :)

Skinner Feb 4, 2011 07:27 AM

What is it with these trailers today? Is it a competition who can schow nothing the best??

Scart Feb 4, 2011 07:51 AM

It was a teaser and we should be thankful for even that. Remember that the first information at all was supposed to come out at the beginning of March during the game show.