Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Battlefield 3 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33946969)

_TiTaNiuM Aug 19, 2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1336674238)
I am disappointed... I really dont like the battlelog thing. I think its horribly inefficient to leave the game and reopen it to get to a different server.

UNLOAD RELOAD UNLOAD RELOAD UNLOAD RELOAD UNLOAD RELOAD.
great plan.

logical Aug 19, 2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM (Post 1336674255)
UNLOAD RELOAD UNLOAD RELOAD UNLOAD RELOAD UNLOAD RELOAD.
great plan.

Indeed, at least some of the game files are cached when the game is still open, so if you leave a server for a the same map loading is near instant.

Now it will all be loaded and reloaded. More time to wait.

Also now that the main menu is outside of the game, is there a settings tool to change controls and settings on the outside as well? Because in the alpha the settings menu was in game.

Need to change the mouse sensitivity? Join random server, wait for it to load, hit esc and have at it.

dawdler Aug 19, 2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1336674238)
I am disappointed... I really dont like the battlelog thing. I think its horribly inefficient to leave the game and reopen it to get to a different server.

As I said above, its only ineffiecient if it takes a long time. I mean, joining a server from the browser and having to the EA logo play everytime would be epic :bleh:

If the game is designed for this behaviour, ie very fast and instant load to the map screen and instant exit to the browser, I see no issue at all. I'm willing to give it benefit of the doubt. The only issue I see relate to server capacity which may be even greater now. They definetly DONT want it to be like the BC2 launch, where it took like 2 days for the game to stabilize.

If the browser doesnt work, DICE can get ready for a shitstorm without equal :lol:

Texas Gore Aug 19, 2011 03:19 PM

alt+tab or alt+enter anyone? :rolleyes:

logical Aug 19, 2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Gore (Post 1336674268)
alt+tab or alt+enter anyone? :rolleyes:

Why should we have to? Making it harder than needed to join a server. As I remember in the alpha you can alt tab and it will just close and re-open the game anyway.

gramboh Aug 19, 2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spindoctor (Post 1336673869)
yup that's exactly what i'm going to do. the only difference being that if i do order the game outside steam, i still wouldn't use origin. i'll pre-order a retail copy which will have all the content, cost the same and register on origin anyway. the retail copy comes in a pretty neat looking steelbook too, something that's pretty rare for pc games these days.

Yeah, I'll buy retail as well if I go down that road, first time in a while.

From people that played the alpha, how fast was the game loading and quitting? BC2 loads and quits relatively fast, but not instantly like say Chrome or Firefox. Unless the system is built so that as soon as you click a server in the browser, a lot is reserved, it is going to be very annoying trying to get on busy servers (or hopefully there is an auto retry queue in-game).

logical Aug 19, 2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramboh (Post 1336674301)
Yeah, I'll buy retail as well if I go down that road, first time in a while.

From people that played the alpha, how fast was the game loading and quitting? BC2 loads and quits relatively fast, but not instantly like say Chrome or Firefox. Unless the system is built so that as soon as you click a server in the browser, a lot is reserved, it is going to be very annoying trying to get on busy servers (or hopefully there is an auto retry queue in-game).

Quitting is not so bad, but the game has that same annoying thing that BC2 has, you have to spawn to quit the game if you dont want to alt f4.

As for loading it isnt that bad.. it loads in the background. For example, you click join server and the game starts loading minimized that way you can keep browsing the server browser or whatever until it is done and then it auto maximizes.

I just dont like the idea of opening and closing.

**G.I.BRO** Aug 19, 2011 07:00 PM

Performance wasnt all that bad actually, like already mentioned just dont like the idea of it opening and closing. Question tho, does it actually close or does it just minimize? Just wondering because todays browsers use quite a bit of memory and have these dirty thoughts this will harm performance.

logical Aug 19, 2011 07:17 PM

It closes.

**G.I.BRO** Aug 19, 2011 08:11 PM

Ah, nice... :up:

_TiTaNiuM Aug 20, 2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** (Post 1336674423)
Performance wasnt all that bad actually, like already mentioned just dont like the idea of it opening and closing. Question tho, does it actually close or does it just minimize? Just wondering because todays browsers use quite a bit of memory and have these dirty thoughts this will harm performance.

This is the world of 64 bit OS's and cheap ram.

I paid $300 for 12gb of DDR3 1600 a year and a half ago. Now it's like $100 for that. and I thought it was cheap as hell when I bought it.

logical Aug 20, 2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** (Post 1336674423)

Just re-read your post now.. are you asking if the browser closes? If so... no the browser does not close. When launching a game the browser stays open and the game opens. When finding a new server the game closes.

Progression Aug 20, 2011 08:53 PM

Can you plug an x360 controller or a joystick to move away from KB+M when you are on the jets?

logical Aug 20, 2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrygian (Post 1336675078)
Can you plug an x360 controller or a joystick to move away from KB+M when you are on the jets?

Let me just open the game and check. :lol:

Nascar24 Aug 20, 2011 09:34 PM

I will let you know in a couple of weeks when beta begins.:D

Progression Aug 20, 2011 10:08 PM

:p

CoolNitro Aug 21, 2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrygian (Post 1336675078)

Why would you want to do that for the controls for mouse and flying in bf2 where fine same in bc2 I actually think mouse users had more control due to being able to move the mouse quicker to its max turn angle with higher degrees of precision and stability then those using a wonky little stick, that said a full size joystick may be slightly more reliable then a mouse.

demo Aug 21, 2011 06:40 AM

Well I hope it supports 360 gamepad so I can use it in single player kicking back on the couch playing on the TV, but of course I would never use a gamepad for MP.

Danny Nissan Aug 21, 2011 06:43 AM

My biggest concern, as with all frostbite games, is if renderahead is editable again. The alpha had pretty much same amount of mouselag as MoH2010 and BC2 in default settings.

demo Aug 21, 2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Nissan (Post 1336675276)
My biggest concern, as with all frostbite games, is if renderahead is editable again. The alpha had pretty much same amount of mouselag as MoH2010 and BC2 in default settings.

Yer if not, you need an Nvidia GPU so you can force it. Does the flip queue size setting still work with ATiTrayTool or whatever??

Danny Nissan Aug 21, 2011 07:11 AM

No it does not. It used to work (in DX9 only), but has stopped some years ago (its just left over registry setting that does nothing).

It is actually the TOP and nr1 reason considering an nvidia gpu as my next buy, the max frames to render ahead setting is simply a must for me as a gamer.

CoolNitro Aug 21, 2011 07:23 AM

Btw when the beta starts if I'm not lucky enough to get in and test it my self can someone test sniping at long range and test to see if it has the same issue as BC2 with ridges of mountains not being rendered correctly for the person standing in the distance.

With tessellation I would expect this issue to be either far worse or better dependent on how the tessellation works at a distance. This is the only pet peeve I have with the frostbite engine though with that said it happens in some other games also.

Nascar24 Aug 21, 2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolNitro (Post 1336675289)
Btw when the beta starts if I'm not lucky enough to get in and test it my self can someone test sniping at long range and test to see if it has the same issue as BC2 with ridges of mountains not being rendered correctly for the person standing in the distance.

With tessellation I would expect this issue to be either far worse or better dependent on how the tessellation works at a distance. This is the only pet peeve I have with the frostbite engine though with that said it happens in some other games also.

I believe if you pre-order your automatically in.

spindoctor Aug 21, 2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolNitro (Post 1336675289)
Btw when the beta starts if I'm not lucky enough to get in

it will be an open beta. everyone will get in.

ukHazard Aug 21, 2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spindoctor (Post 1336675314)
it will be an open beta. everyone will get in.

2 days after us super duper lucky Origin preorderers (and even luckier MoH LE edition owners :p) anyway! Whoop.

spindoctor Aug 22, 2011 05:32 AM

Battlefield 3 GamesCom news roundup

General newsBatlefield 3 game modes confirmed:
  • Conquest
  • Conquest 64
  • Rush
  • Squad Rush
  • Team Deathmatch
  • Squad Deathmatch
Gameplay features
  • Commo Rose has been confirmed. DICE is working on a console version of Commo Rose as well.
  • 3D spotting has been revised.
  • Motion sensors are back, but cannot be thrown, and have to be deployed.
  • The EOD bot can be used to arm MCOMs, repair vehicles and disarm mines.
  • Players can spawn on any squad member now, but DICE is looking into it.
  • Kill-cam is back.
  • Jet max height is 1000m (same as BF2).
  • Jets will be available on consoles as well.
  • Bullets from different weapons have different velocity speeds, bullet drop is back as well.
  • Weapons are faction specific, but you can unlock other faction’s weapons once your rank up high enough.
  • Weapon silencers will be available on almost all weapons except shotguns.
  • Assault rifles with long, high-zoom scopes will have “glint” as well.
  • Claymores are back. You can crouch past them, but have to use explosives to blow up claymores and mines.
  • Vehicles will have regenerative health until being disabled.

vehicles regenerate health?! what the ****? :nuts:

{0}Salamander{0} Aug 22, 2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spindoctor (Post 1336675916)
Battlefield 3 GamesCom news roundup

vehicles regenerate health?! what the ****? :nuts:

The vehicle regeneration and no server browser for PC is surely a joke...?

H001iGAN Aug 22, 2011 07:18 AM

And don't forget, when you destroy a vehicle the enemy is given time to get out of it before it blows up.

Danny Nissan Aug 22, 2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} (Post 1336675931)
The vehicle regeneration and no server browser for PC is surely a joke...?

There is no ingame browser, of course there is a server browser in battlelog. It worked good in the beta, you could stand in line and do whatever while its waiting for a free slot. And it was mere seconds (~5) until it loads map and goes ingame.

As for vehicle regen, i think its retarded but in the alpha i never got any regen. I think you need to stay out of combat for 30 seconds or so before you get any regen and even then its probably slow. Still retarded.

CoolNitro Aug 22, 2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukHazard (Post 1336675679)
2 days after us super duper lucky Origin preorderers (and even luckier MoH LE edition owners :p) anyway! Whoop.

So preordered people only get the beta for 2 extra days before its open to all? I would have thought they would do a week or so early closed beta before the open version but oh well I was going to pre-order it anyways just haven't gotten around to it yet.