Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Battlefield 3 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33946969)

caveman-jim Aug 6, 2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 1336331675)
so no Directx 9 and its on the xbox 360 and ps3? am i missing something here or can the 360/ps3 do dx10 now?:bleh:

I think im going to reinstall BF1942.

Shh, nobody wants your logic or reason here. You're ruining the unreasonable hate fest for an unreleased product nobody's seen!

Auric Aug 6, 2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 (Post 1336333010)
WW2 will never be old in the Battlefield series. Hell no, in fact WW2 fits the format for the BF series better then any other genre.

Especially in terms of aircraft and ground attack.

The original is still the best and Forgotten Hope 2 for BF2 is another stellar achievement.

They could wrap some new graphics on BF1942 and I would play it in a second.

The one thing WW2 does better than any other time period is in its rifles and tactics. When soldiers are running around with long range rifles and assault rifles that are all over the place you have a dynamic battle space.

In modern combat is been dumped down so much, it's literally point and shoot with a Crayola bazooka.

Give me a WW2 BF Series any day of the week.

Agreed. WWII works 'cause of the slower pace, manual weaponry, and lack of advanced technology. Playing FH2, nothing seems dumbed down and it's very immersive and great fun. Admittedly, even the original BF1942 is somewhat comical in comparison to FH1 but BF2 is extra spastic and problematic from trying to implement modern weapons while drastically limiting their capabilities.

{0}Salamander{0} Aug 7, 2010 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1336333067)
Shh, nobody wants your logic or reason here. You're ruining the unreasonable hate fest for an unreleased product nobody's seen!

I can only really think of one recent game which was on both PC and console and didn't feel "consolised" and that was Valve's Orange Box content.

Gerard Aug 7, 2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} (Post 1336333470)
I can only really think of one recent game which was on both PC and console and didn't feel "consolised" and that was Valve's Orange Box content.

Because it was made for pc then ported and changed some for consoles (the way it should be done as the more powerful pc isn't being held back by the limitations of archaic console hardware). Ea on the other hand like to do it the other way around, make a console the lead platform then port it to pc. Which means that the same textures, models etc usually get used on the pc and normally they look somewhat lower res\detail than we're used to. Same with the controls, look how bad the heli controls were on pc bc2 until they eventually tweaked them. Many people would argue that games on a console that are ported to pc suffer with accuracey and smoothness for the mouse.

anthony256 Aug 8, 2010 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerard (Post 1336333612)
Because it was made for pc then ported and changed some for consoles (the way it should be done as the more powerful pc isn't being held back by the limitations of archaic console hardware). Ea on the other hand like to do it the other way around, make a console the lead platform then port it to pc. Which means that the same textures, models etc usually get used on the pc and normally they look somewhat lower res\detail than we're used to. Same with the controls, look how bad the heli controls were on pc bc2 until they eventually tweaked them. Many people would argue that games on a console that are ported to pc suffer with accuracey and smoothness for the mouse.

This.

Valve used the pc then ported. Much much much much better.

I personally would pay a premium if other devs did this.

shoman24v Aug 8, 2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} (Post 1336333470)

Everyone here knows Valve games are PC first and console second.

xNaquada Aug 8, 2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auric (Post 1336333195)
Agreed. WWII works 'cause of the slower pace, manual weaponry, and lack of advanced technology.

Most people would call that BORING.

I dont want to fly a prop plane that is slow as ass and had a couple machine guns.

I want to fly a F35B screaming fast, have insane FAST dogfights and provide fast aerial support to my team.

Thank god WW2 games are out and dead.

xNaquada Aug 8, 2010 10:39 PM

delete.

{0}Salamander{0} Aug 9, 2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNaquada (Post 1336334798)

I dont want to fly a prop plane that is slow as ass and had a couple machine guns.

I want to fly a F35B screaming fast, have insane FAST dogfights and provide fast aerial support to my team.

Don't WWII planes go about 150mph though?

Not exactly slow.

buckshot23 Aug 9, 2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} (Post 1336334861)

Not exactly slow.

A lot faster than that, by about double.

Andy N Aug 9, 2010 02:41 AM

Quote:

Not exactly slow.

Most WW2 fighter planes had top speeds between 300 - 400 mph.

xNaquada Aug 13, 2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Not exactly slow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckshot23 (Post 1336334867)
A lot faster than that, by about double.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy N (Post 1336334872)
Most WW2 fighter planes had top speeds between 300 - 400 mph.

Seriously you guys im talking about in-****ing-game. Noones talking IRL, this is a game thread. A plane in BF1942 was a ****ing snail compared to a plane in BF2.

Worlds apart.

lumpyhed Aug 13, 2010 04:56 AM

Quote:

so no Directx 9 and its on the xbox 360 and ps3? am i missing something here or can the 360/ps3 do dx10 now?:bleh:

I think im going to reinstall BF1942.

The consoles have certain elements that are of the DX10 era. You could almost call the 360 gpu dx9.5 capable i reckon :bleh:

AllexxisF1 Aug 13, 2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNaquada (Post 1336338650)
A plane in BF1942 was a ****ing snail compared to a plane in BF2. Worlds apart.

Which fits the relative small airspace of the BF series better than a screaming jet that can reach the edges of the map in two seconds.

Since the battle space is a fixed size a slower more agile propeller plane is far better than a jet aircraft that hits the boundaries relatively quickly.

Remember how ridiculous it was seeing the F-15 flying by so slow that it was on the cusp of stalling. Just looked stupid.

Never the less BF has always been about the ground game and I'm sorry, I will always take the slow one shot rifle with short range assault guns of the WW2 series any day of the week compared to modern BF.

mavman Aug 13, 2010 08:15 AM

As long as they do something about the flight models. The chopper in BC2 is seriously a piece of crap.

AllexxisF1 Aug 13, 2010 08:21 AM

Do you guys remember the mod release of Desert Combat for BF1942 and how hard it was to pilot a helicopter.

God I loved how hard that was to master.

Then again I would see some noob dive right in and before you knew it everyone was diving out of the way when it flew sideways right at you. :lol:

Perky McGiggles Aug 13, 2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 (Post 1336338775)
Do you guys remember the mod release of Desert Combat for BF1942 and how hard it was to pilot a helicopter.

Then again I would see some noob dive right in and before you knew it everyone was diving out of the way when it flew sideways right at you. :lol:

Yeah the DC helicopters were awesome. I loved how no one tried to take them, leaving them open for people who knew what they were doing. I got really good at it during the time. I feel they are better than the choppers we've seen since then.

{0}Salamander{0} Aug 13, 2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavman (Post 1336338765)
As long as they do something about the flight models. The chopper in BC2 is seriously a piece of crap.

Yep, the choppers in the BC2 beta were a piece of ****. Awful to control compared to BF2.

It was hilarious though the first few weeks of playing BF2 when it was "all new" to players. You had a lot more players crashing jets + choppers on take off etc. My own personal trick was to parachute behind the enemy lines near the enemies' airbase, plant C4 on a waiting plane, retreat to a safe spot then watch a chap get in the plane, wait until he is just about airborne then blow the sucker up.

Fricfrac Aug 13, 2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

:D Absolutely! That **** was the best. I remember spending a whole day just practicing with the helicopters (singleplayer/bot match of course). I finally got the hang of it and flying helicopters in every single game since than has been easy cheesy!

DC was so awesome. My friends and I still talk about it to this day. We were just joking a few weeks ago about getting a few games going. I believe there are still servers out there.

Auric Aug 13, 2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 (Post 1336338758)
Which fits the relative small airspace of the BF series better than a screaming jet that can reach the edges of the map in two seconds.

Since the battle space is a fixed size a slower more agile propeller plane is far better than a jet aircraft that hits the boundaries relatively quickly.

Remember how ridiculous it was seeing the F-15 flying by so slow that it was on the cusp of stalling. Just looked stupid.

Never the less BF has always been about the ground game and I'm sorry, I will always take the slow one shot rifle with short range assault guns of the WW2 series any day of the week compared to modern BF.

Exactly! And in the same way, the capabilities of other modern vehicles and weapons were neutered to fit within the confines of both the maps and suppos-ed playability... but it just turned out more comical and annoying at the same time.

Quote:

Yeah, and the crazy thing is that even though the DC helos were something of hack they were way more maneuverable and fun than the floaty simplistic ones of BF2. Plus, more balanced: you could do more damage with 'em but they were more vulnerable too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by {0}Salamander{0} (Post 1336338781)
Yep, the choppers in the BC2 beta were a piece of ****. Awful to control compared to BF2.

It was hilarious though the first few weeks of playing BF2 when it was "all new" to players. You had a lot more players crashing jets + choppers on take off etc. My own personal trick was to parachute behind the enemy lines near the enemies' airbase, plant C4 on a waiting plane, retreat to a safe spot then watch a chap get in the plane, wait until he is just about airborne then blow the sucker up.

Alas, it could only be played within the rules of the game like that early on whereas it soon turned to crap with imposed make-believe rules against various attack and defense on the majority of servers. :(

yoz Aug 13, 2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNaquada (Post 1336334798)

Know how i know you're a console player?

And WW2 games are definitely not out or dead.

Chubz Aug 13, 2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoz (Post 1336339057)

I hope they keep producing them.. WW2 is never boring for me.

demo Aug 13, 2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubz (Post 1336339086)
I hope they keep producing them.. WW2 is never boring for me.

I'm a fan of WW2 games aswell. Bolt actions ftw :)

xNaquada Aug 13, 2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Know how i know you're a console player?

You know how wrong you are? I don't own any console except a SNES.
Go play your slow planes so you can rotate/turn them with analogues and feel good about it.

And WW2 games ARE OUT. When was the last successful (+1Million sold on PC) WW2 game?

Back in the early 2000's every 3rd game was a WW2 derivative. The last "good" WW2 themed game I can think of off the top of my head was CoH. Call of Duty 5 (Treyarch)might have been good but from everything I've read COD4:MW was better and still has a much larger online presence.... (no doubt due to the consolification and utter stupidity of InfinityWard ****ing MW2 bad for PC)

I have no problems playing a WW2 game if its done exceptionally well, like the First Call of Duty/UO.

But at this point there is nothing fresh to breathe into WW2. All the gimmicks are done, tried and tested.

Even Wolfenstien (released approx a year ago) with its WW2theme bombed out really bad.(NO ONE plays this game anymore. Even the offical websites last update was LAST October)

You cant argue with the facts. If you prefer WW2 thats fine, but saying
Quote:

Sure they aren't. Name me some released in the last ~12 months that have active online communities and have sold very well(on PC).

acidosmosis Aug 13, 2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNaquada (Post 1336339111)
And WW2 games ARE OUT. When was the last successful (+1Million sold on PC) WW2 game?

Funny how they are "out" and everyone loves them. Except you.

xNaquada Aug 13, 2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acidosmosis (Post 1336339181)
Funny how they are "out" and everyone loves them. Except you.

Funny that if "everyone"(lol 9 people on a forum...) loves them the market would be saturated with them, and devs would be making lots of money from WW2 themed games, instead of the exact opposite happening.

WW2 fatigue from last decade sucked, but it still here.

Feel free to direct me to some WW2 games that sold very well last year for PC an have a online community.

Top Secret Aug 13, 2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNaquada (Post 1336339189)

Feel free to direct me to some WW2 games that sold very well last year for PC and have a online community.

You say that like three WW2 titles are released a week on the PC.

Perky McGiggles Aug 14, 2010 10:45 AM

In the BF1942 era WW2 games were the bees knees. And while I think most of us (I know I did) felt tired of them after awhile, I'd rather have tons of WW2 themed games then the spam of modern warfare games we are now seeing today.

genci88 Aug 14, 2010 12:43 PM

I want a sequel to 2142. :drool:

jolle Aug 14, 2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

I think skipping DX9 is a huge time saver, as I understand it, DX9 on PC is very dirty and full of cap bits and IHV specific solutions.
They put a stop to that in DX10, so its mainly working towards the API and not making a ton of work arounds per different GPU series.

That coupled with the fact that most DX9 HW is by now quite old.