Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Disney + Discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34050303)

Eisberg Nov 24, 2019 08:42 PM

Disney + Discussion

So what shows are you watching on Disney+?

My wife, son, and myself have been watching Mandalorian together.

My son and I have been watching Star War Clone Wars together, we just got done with the first season. What a fantastic show, I highly recommend it. Disney+ is going to be releasing a 7th season in Feb 2020. We'll move onto Star Wars Rebels once we are complete with Clone Wars.

A few criticisms I have:

1- It doesn't keep track of what Episodes you have watched, so you have to remember what episode you want to watch next next time you go to watch the show.

2- There is no way to choose quality you want. There is a massive ton of 4K content, and being a cord cutter, that can be a real killer when having a data cap. I would like to watch most stuff in 1080p, and only do 4K on "special" occasions.

Mahjik Nov 25, 2019 09:51 AM

This is a busy time for my family so we haven't used it much (daughter's Nutcracker performance and dance competitions).

I've been watching Mandalorian and my daughter checked out some old Disney shows. We'll get more use of it starting middle of December when things calm down. My wife is a huge Disney fan so I know she will be watching some of her old favorites. I plan to check out some of the Star Wars animated series. I saw bits and pieces of them on the Disney TV channel but never really sat down to get into them.

Sasquach Nov 25, 2019 10:01 AM

Yeah point #2 is a HUGE factor. It will stream at whatever your HIGHEST supported resolution is...…Be aware if you have a data cap its gonna eat that limit like candy (goddam useless N/A internet providers, especially Canadian ones......we got no choice but to get gouged by overpriced, and underserviced providers)

We just signed up to Disney+ like a week ago and when I checked my internet usage log and found out in the last few days I have used up over half our monthly allocation. And we JUST had our monthly cycle reset.

I have 2 TV's, one is a Roku TV, and the other is a non-smart TV. Both are 4K Capable. The Roku one doesn't really have an option to change display resolution/settings, so I think everything's coming in at 4K (whenever the stream allows for it). MY other TV is using an Amazon Fire stick, so we can set the resolution the stick uses to hopefully combat it, but its hard to tell.
We do have a media box for our basic TV services on the Roku TV, but the box sucks ass, is laggy, weak and everytime I tried setting the TV resolution on it (auto, 4k 1080p, 720p) it glitches out the TV output and I have to reset the box which defaults it to auto (and on auto it sets it to 4k).

Note if you have an android device you CAN set the quality settings, but it seems to reset everytime you open up Disney+.

We don't get the problem with Netflix cuz we pay for the basic services which only provides content in SD, and our TV service doesn't stream in 4k and the TV data doesn't count towards the cap.

I ended up having to upgrade our internet with unlimited data. Fortunately for me I was able to upgrade to the unlimited data with twice the data speed for the same cost as what im paying now :up:

So now I don't have a data cap AND faster internet :D

Other than that fiasco we've been enjoying it. Wife loves it, since its got a ton of Disney content which she loves. Time to catch up on some starwars, Toy Story 4 and Avengers Endgame :D

NWR_Midnight Nov 25, 2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisberg (Post 1338163385)
So what shows are you watching on Disney+?

My wife, son, and myself have been watching Mandalorian together.

My son and I have been watching Star War Clone Wars together, we just got done with the first season. What a fantastic show, I highly recommend it. Disney+ is going to be releasing a 7th season in Feb 2020. We'll move onto Star Wars Rebels once we are complete with Clone Wars.

A few criticisms I have:

1- It doesn't keep track of what Episodes you have watched, so you have to remember what episode you want to watch next next time you go to watch the show.

2- There is no way to choose quality you want. There is a massive ton of 4K content, and being a cord cutter, that can be a real killer when having a data cap. I would like to watch most stuff in 1080p, and only do 4K on "special" occasions.

You would have to watch 3+ hours every day of 4k content to eat up a 1TB data cap. That is if every 4k stream is at 25 Mbps, which Disney plus, Netflix, etc average about 15 to 20 Mbps, so it is more like 4+ hours every single day for 31 day month. (of course you are screwed if you have multiple people streaming 4k content all the time)

edit: okay, just double checked, and Disney Plus when buffering for the first 30 seconds uses 45 Mbps then drops to an average of about 12 to 15 Mbps streaming Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 4k. (it actually fluctuates between 3.5 Mbps to 12 Mbps with 30 to 40 Mbps spikes every 15 seconds or so, and that also includes NCIS streaming from ABC all access in the other room, so the numbers are 2 streams going). This is all on a gigabyte connection.. so bandwidth throttling is not a factor.

Depending on your router, those that need to throttle disney plus, you may be able to due it thru your router. Basically starve the connection so Disney plus thinks you can't handle 4K.

The Only show I have watches so far is Mandalorian, and I am 1 episode behind. Oh.. and I watched Lady and the Tramp with my girlfriend at her house. :D

You might want to try to add your shows to your watch list, and see if that tracks anything for you. Mandalorian shows I was watching episode 2, and has a resume where I left off (I didn't watch the credits). So if you need to, you might just want to stop watching before the credits roll, so you can go in and see the resume to help show where you left off or what episode you last watched, until they get a proper tracker in place. (see below, as it is not available on all devices yet)

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ments-changes/

Eisberg Nov 25, 2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWR_Midnight (Post 1338163452)
You would have to watch...

Because I work overnights and like 75% of the time I keep to the same schedule on my days off, 4 days a week our household is pretty much a 24 hour house hold, where someone is awake and probably watching TV. There are 3 of us in this house, it's easy to get 4 hours of 4k content watched on those days among the 3 of us through the 24 hour period, heck my wife and son watch one 2 hour movie and then I watch one 2 hour movie and there is 4 hours in one day. This wouldn't include all other TV streaming we do, and other internet use like gaming, I think I downloaded like ~200GB of games this month a lone.

But yes, I actually did eventually thought about throttling my TV through my router, which I did do. My TV now only gets 10Mbit/sec, which is preventing it from Streaming at 4k. Its just annoying to have to turn it off when we do want to watch something in 4K, since it takes time for the router to apply the setting and reboot itself, and then have to do it again when we want to turn the throttling back on. But it is better than nothing.

Athena Nov 25, 2019 12:22 PM

I have watched the 3 Mandalorians, some Rebels, first Tinker Bell movie, The Black Hole and started The Rocketeer. The only devices that seems to track the progress is my Xbox X and my phone app. The Roku's don't seem to remember. Enjoying the heck out of everything so far for the 3 or 4 bucks a month I am paying. ^_^

KAC Nov 25, 2019 12:52 PM

Savages with data caps. Wtf?

Sasquach Nov 25, 2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338163495)
Savages with data caps. Wtf?

North America = Here's a peanut. Its $1.50. You aren't getting anything better than this here peanut for that price. Pay less and you get half a peanut, or a broken peanut. Do you want that? I sure wouldn't. But hey, we'll also throw in a peanut bag for .50 cents and then we can give you another 2 peanuts!
So you get 1 peanut, 2 free peanuts and a peanut bag for $2.00. Its a real bargain! Oh and since you are a loyal long time customer, we'll give you an additional 2 peanuts for free!
*peanut bag only holds 50 peanuts total
Oh you want walnuts? Its 3 dollars per walnut. With the deal we can provide you 5 walnuts and a walnut bag for $5
Pecan's are 5 per. With the deal we can give you 5 pecans and a pecan bag for $8.

The rest of the world = For 50 cent's we'll give you this bag of peanuts I think theres something like 150 in it....I dunno im not counting freaking peanuts.....! 1 dollar for a bag of walnuts and 2 dollars for a bag of pecans!

gamefoo21 Nov 25, 2019 02:31 PM

What are data caps?

:lol:

SubCog Nov 25, 2019 04:35 PM

Watched a bit of Little Mermaid with my 3-year-old daughter last night. She kindof lost interest, and asked to switch it to Into the Spiderverse, which she loves and has watched several times already. Yup, she's a bit of a tomboy... although she won't wear anything that's not pink.

Greasy Nov 25, 2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338163573)
Watched a bit of Little Mermaid with my 3-year-old daughter last night. She kindof lost interest, and asked to switch it to Into the Spiderverse, which she loves and has watched several times already. Yup, she's a bit of a tomboy... although she won't wear anything that's not pink.

Sounds like my 10 year old. :lol:

Elysian Nov 25, 2019 04:57 PM

I canceled Disney+ within 3 hours of signing up. Maybe later on when they have more new original content, but for now, no thanks.

Athena Nov 25, 2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338163583)
I canceled Disney+ within 3 hours of signing up. Maybe later on when they have more new original content, but for now, no thanks.

I can totally see this, for me I have not had much access to Disney shows or watched many actual Disney movies other than Marvel and Star Wars so there is tons of stuff I am looking forward to like Pixar movies I missed, Rebels, Clone Wars and more. But once I am caught up on those I wonder what Disney will have for me other than a long wait for Obiwan.:confused:

Nascar24 Nov 25, 2019 05:47 PM

Wont be canceling at $4 a month for 3 years.:lol:

Hapatingjaky Nov 25, 2019 05:57 PM

Signed up for a year, watched Mr. Boogedy.

It was worth it. :popcorn:

SubCog Nov 25, 2019 07:18 PM

Yeah, if you don't have kids, Disney+ is a tough sell right now. My kids have been enjoying it immensely though.

Munkus Nov 25, 2019 07:33 PM

I'm getting Disney+ free for a year thanks to Verizon. I mainly just want to watch The Mandalorian with my adult kids who grew up with Star Wars and are nerds just like me. Unless the content dramatically changes (like adding an Obi-Wan series), I won't be subscribing when my free year ends.

Athena Nov 26, 2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky (Post 1338163593)

Wow that is a old one, I remember enjoying that as a kid. Will have to check it out!! :cool:

Thanks

acroig Nov 26, 2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338163583)

I guess Apple TV+ is definitely a no go then.

DeathKnight Nov 26, 2019 10:09 AM

Simpsons (all seasons)
X-Men cartoon series
DuckTales
TaleSpin
Chip'N'Dale Rescue Rangers
Darkwing Duck
Gargoyles

Classics from my childhood

jimjobob Nov 26, 2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky (Post 1338163593)

I looked for that and didnít see it. I guess we have to search.

SirBaron Nov 26, 2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338163682)
I guess Apple TV+ is definitely a no go then.

Apple TV is terrible at the moment (IMO).

Would get Disney + but not out here yet.

Also Data Caps still exist? I think I had a data cap... 15 years ago? /shrug

Eisberg Nov 26, 2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338163741)
Apple TV is terrible at the moment (IMO).

Would get Disney + but not out here yet.

Also Data Caps still exist? I think I had a data cap... 15 years ago? /shrug

Data Caps are common in the US, I think mainly due to the lack of competition/terrible competiton for so many people through out the US.

For example, for where I live I have the choice:

1- Satellite Internet with a 50GB cap per month, terrible latency, up to 20Mbits/sec cost is $50 to $75 per month

2- Wireless internet (dish that points to a tower), data cap of 200GB per month, up to 50Mbits/sec, $35-$80 a month

3- Century Link DSL/ or any ISP that uses DSL, 5 Mbits/sec, no Data cap. $50 a month

4- Comcast. Up to 15 Mbits/sec to 1Gbit/sec, 1TB data cap, $52 to $160 Per month (Can get 75Mbit/sec for $65)

I really have no other practical choice, Comcast really is my only choice for wanting to Stream on multiple devices in HD.

From my understanding Comcast has no data cap in the NE US because apparently the competition is actually not terrible there, people actually have real choices for internet, I have also heard they have better prices in the NE US as well.

Nascar24 Nov 26, 2019 04:15 PM

Yea Comcast are bastards from going to unlimited to 1TB a few years back, A few years back it was a lot of data. In the last 4 months I have had to cut back to not hit 1TB every month on my own. They either need to get rid of the cap or move it to 2 TB. In the same boat this month at 900GB with a few days left.

SubCog Nov 26, 2019 04:23 PM

I watched one of the Tinkerbell animated movies with my daughter last night. Both my boys ended up coming in and joining us too. Movie was surprisingly good. Of course it's a little girl's movie, but it's full of action and adventure, and lots of stuff the boys were interested in. I suspect we'll end up watching more Tinkerbell movies in the future.

Eisberg Nov 26, 2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338163760)
Yea Comcast are bastards from going to unlimited to 1TB a few years back, A few years back it was a lot of data. In the last 4 months I have had to cut back to not hit 1TB every month on my own. They either need to get rid of the cap or move it to 2 TB. In the same boat this at 900GB with a few days left.

I got the message from Comcast telling me I have reached over 90% of my data cap. Right now I have 69GB of data left, and still have to go through the rest of today and through the 30th. We might actually make it below the data cap, but we will see since the Holiday weekend has started. I still have the 2 courtesy months of going over the data cap, so if we do go over, it won't be a big deal.

andino Nov 26, 2019 05:55 PM

I knocked out the Marvel stuff in 4k.

Currently knocking out the old Star Wars stuff in 4k.

Loving the Mandalorian.

Also watching the Imagineer docs.

Slowly watching the old disney movies and 90's cartoons. Still in shock that they had Sword in the Stone in 4k!

Currently doing the old x-men, darkwing duck, and the old duck tails.

The kiddos are using the hell out of it.

I had a lot of disney movies ripped and put on my server. It was a whole lot easier than dealing with DVD's in a multiple kiddo household. I think I'm going to be cleaning out the server of those movies now. This service is just too good of a deal and MUCH better quality than the rip that I have.

Nascar24 Nov 26, 2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisberg (Post 1338163766)
I got the message from Comcast telling me I have reached over 90% of my data cap. Right now I have 69GB of data left, and still have to go through the rest of today and through the 30th. We might actually make it below the data cap, but we will see since the Holiday weekend has started. I still have the 2 courtesy months of going over the data cap, so if we do go over, it won't be a big deal.

Yea its plain out BS, I really dont have many worthwhile options either outside of Comcast. I've had them for 16 years straight now and I have to worry about a stupid ass cap towards the end of the month. I have the 2 as well but hate to burn them when this close to end of month. Rather hit the CAP at mid month and then just hammer them the other half month.:lol:

MasterGoa Nov 26, 2019 08:03 PM

Can you sing up fpr just a month?

Maybe getting a single month a year to binge good stuff.

Mahjik Nov 26, 2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterGoa (Post 1338163790)
Can you sing up fpr just a month?

Maybe getting a single month a year to binge good stuff.

Yes, I believe you can. You'll have to wait a bit for Mandalorian if you are interested as they aren't dumping out all the episodes at once.