Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Lumia 920 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33994663)

painkiller Sep 24, 2012 02:19 AM

Nokia Lumia 920

Sneaky Russian have gotten Lumia 920 and are testing its key features against Galaxy SIII

Video recording with OIS on:

Low light camera performance:

Super sensitive screen:

I think Nokia might have just gotten me to get one once it is released (hopefully next month)... :drool:

FX-Overclocking Sep 24, 2012 02:38 AM

Looks like a nice ass phone... HUGE though. But nice.

Shark Sep 24, 2012 07:31 AM

The camera is just amazing, but I have my doubts with MS Windows System and its online market. if I want top notch camera I will buy canon camera not a phone.

Ego Sep 24, 2012 08:00 AM

I kinda regret I got the One X a few months back, not because I don't like it, but because it prevents me from buying this.
Damn.
Maybe I'll convince my wife to upgrade from her Lumia 800 :)

AdelphiaX Sep 24, 2012 10:07 AM

I think this is what I'm getting, but I'll need to demo it at a store first. I'm concerned this will be too big to go to from a 3GS.

aviphysics Sep 24, 2012 10:19 AM

Seems really big. GSIII is already bigger than I would really like and this is just a hair bigger.

I am thinking my first foray into Windows 8 mobile will be a tablet (Assuming MS hits that $200 price point).

shrike126 Sep 24, 2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviphysics (Post 1337045698)
Seems really big. GSIII is already bigger than I would really like and this is just a hair bigger.

I am thinking my first foray into Windows 8 mobile will be a tablet (Assuming MS hits that $200 price point).

They won't. It's looking closer to $499 or up ish with it possibly being around $200 if its subsidized on a carrier somewhere.

nycdarkness Sep 24, 2012 11:22 AM

Am I the only person who feels the s3 isn't big lol. I have medium-small hands. I can wear a woman's medium glove for christ sake and I can use the phone one handed easily. I am willing to bet most people who think it's too big either A) never saw it in person or held it B) Played with it for like 5 mins while it was strapped to a security wire.

bill dennison Sep 24, 2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1337045736)
Am I the only person who feels the s3 isn't big lol. I have medium-small hands. I can wear a woman's medium glove for christ sake and I can use the phone one handed easily. I am willing to bet most people who think it's too big either A) never saw it in person or held it B) Played with it for like 5 mins while it was strapped to a security wire.

i played with the s3 in best buy and it was to big just did not feel right to me
but i was also planning on and need one in my work a case like otterbox defender and how much it will grow
the 4s with the defender is still smaller than the s3 other than thickness

aviphysics Sep 24, 2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1337045757)
i played with the s3 in best buy and it was to big just did not feel right to me
but i was also planning on and need one in my work a case like otterbox defender and how much it will grow

The fact that the SG3 is so thin is what makes it tolerable to me. It is just right up there at the limit of what I find acceptable. I don't use cases though. I have never had a case that doesn't just kill the feel of the phone for me.

Maybe an iphone case makes sense because the hand feel of that phone is already terrible. It is basically a hard rectangular brick that is too heavy for its size. I think the reason they take falling so badly isn't the glass back, but the overall weight and inflexibility of the phone. When it hits the ground it has to absorb more energy and the absorption isn't broadly distributed.

nycdarkness Sep 24, 2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1337045757)

Infront of me I have a s3 in an incipico two part case (silicone, and a hard shell), an iphone 5 in the same incipico format case. Mind you these are smaller than otterbox cases and no where near the gigantic thick boxes I have seen people use for their iphones. These provide very good protection btw.

If that 1/4 of an inch extra makes it too big to be usable you gotta be kidding me.

bill dennison Sep 24, 2012 12:32 PM

well the 4s is smaller but it is all individual preferences and i liked the size of the 4s better

aviphysics Sep 24, 2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1337045787)
Infront of me I have a s3 in an incipico two part case (silicone, and a hard shell), an iphone 5 in the same incipico format case. Mind you these are smaller than otterbox cases and no where near the gigantic thick boxes I have seen people use for their iphones. These provide very good protection btw.

If that 1/4 of an inch extra makes it too big to be usable you gotta be kidding me.

Where did you get an iPhone 5? I didn't even think those were out yet.

Sasquach Sep 24, 2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviphysics (Post 1337045698)

its not really bigger than an S3, but its thicker.

Sasquach Sep 24, 2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdelphiaX (Post 1337045686)
I think this is what I'm getting, but I'll need to demo it at a store first. I'm concerned this will be too big to go to from a 3GS.

Everythings bigger than a 3gs......

aviphysics Sep 24, 2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1337045862)
its not really bigger than an S3, but its thicker.

Thicker is bigger...

at least that's what she said :bleh:

painkiller Sep 24, 2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviphysics (Post 1337045871)
Thicker is bigger...

at least that's what she said :bleh:

Thicker is better you mean? :lol:

Size is pretty much the only thing I dislike in that phone alltough I had Galaxy Note and the size didn't bother me too much. Now I have N9 and I feel that the form factor is pretty good. Lumia 920 could be a good compromise for size with that screen resolution and the curved edges will definately make it feel more natural when it sits in your pocket.

Zoolok Sep 24, 2012 02:36 PM

I can't wait to get the Lumia 920, hopefully I'll be able to buy it for Christmas. The curved screen is awesome, I love it on the Lumia 800 I currently have.

FX-Overclocking Sep 24, 2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1337045787)

On both sides, yes. For those of us who stuff our phones in the front pockets of our business clothes a smaller phone is a better phone. I don't want to try to be selling some guy with a giant phone bulging out of my crotch. So for some there is a reason why a half inch here or there is important. For the rest of you it's just extra screen real estate... but I couldn't do it.

FX-Overclocking Sep 24, 2012 03:18 PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/th...getting-bigger

And I'm guessing in China they'll stop getting bigger even sooner...

nycdarkness Sep 24, 2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking (Post 1337045960)
On both sides, yes. For those of us who stuff our phones in the front pockets of our business clothes a smaller phone is a better phone. I don't want to try to be selling some guy with a giant phone bulging out of my crotch. So for some there is a reason why a half inch here or there is important. For the rest of you it's just extra screen real estate... but I couldn't do it.

Are you serious? lol. What do you wear to work!!! I wear a suit to work everyday and my suits are "modern fit". I can fit a samsung note into my suit pocket easily and I have a jacket size of 40 sometimes 38. Also why would you put your phone in your front pocket. Falls out easier and creates a bulge on your leg and can get banged more easily. Unless you mean the pocket on the dress shirt. In that case my dress shirts don't have pockets as that's just like I work at wendys :bleh:. Even in that case 99% of smartphones will not fit right in.

nycdarkness Sep 24, 2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviphysics (Post 1337045858)
Where did you get an iPhone 5? I didn't even think those were out yet.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

AdelphiaX Sep 24, 2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FX-Overclocking (Post 1337045961)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/th...getting-bigger

And I'm guessing in China they'll stop getting bigger even sooner...

:lol:

AdelphiaX Sep 24, 2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1337045868)
Everythings bigger than a 3gs......

:(

aviphysics Sep 24, 2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1337045970)
Unless you mean the pocket on the dress shirt. In that case my dress shirts don't have pockets as that's just like I work at wendys :bleh:. Even in that case 99% of smartphones will not fit right in.

Engineers are all about the front pocketed shirt. Otherwise you wouldn't have anyplace to keep your pen protector.

Sazar Sep 24, 2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

You must be a ****ing midget if a GS3 is too big for your pants :bleh:

Sasquach Sep 24, 2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Anyone remember those old flip phones and slider phones from ye old pre-smartphone era?

Yeah, they were small but they were like 2inches thick......

Sasquach Sep 24, 2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1337045990)
You must be a ****ing midget if a GS3 is too big for your pants :bleh:

Or he wears skinny jeans...in which case anything would create a bulge......:bleh:

hmmm....... but that would explain how he breaks all his phones...being too big for his tight girly pants.....:sherlock:

Sazar Sep 24, 2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1337045994)
Or he wears skinny jeans...in which case anything would create a bulge......:bleh:

hmmm....... but that would explain how he breaks all his phones...being too big for his tight girly pants.....:sherlock:

The GS3 is pretty skinny, unless you are saying he has a tiny penis and doesn't want to overshadow it with a skinny phone :)

On topic though, I am loving the 920 more and more :D

It's either this or the next Nexus to replace my current iPhone 4 and I keep leaning more and more to the WP8 devices. :drool:

somewon Sep 24, 2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1337045736)