Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   How do I block these carrier flash(?) messages? (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34048356)

Kain Oct 20, 2018 07:08 PM

How do I block these carrier flash(?) messages?

Everyone once in a while, my carrier will send these flash messages to my iPhone. When the message is received, there no alert sound nor any vibration. The screen stays on until I tap on Cancel or Accept. If my phone is in my pocket, I have no way of knowing if I have received these messages and it can be quite easy to accidentally tap on Accept while taking out the phone from my pocket. If I tap on Accept, it will immediately deduct the amount for the advertised "deal" in the message. I think their main idea behind this is to get people to accidentally tap on Accept unknowingly. How do I stop this cheap scam-like tactic?

Some examples:

Lazy8s Oct 22, 2018 10:58 AM

I've never seen anything like that. I do get offers, but they come via text msg only. Is there no way to opt out?

Mahjik Oct 22, 2018 11:21 AM

Typically, you cannot unless you root your phone or switch carriers.

Elysian Oct 22, 2018 03:30 PM

Have you tried calling your carrier?

NWR_Midnight Oct 22, 2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338099069)
Have you tried calling your carrier?

That, or if you may have a box under your account settings that you have checked that tells them it is okay for them to send you special offers etc.

Munkus Oct 23, 2018 07:04 AM

Never heard of this before. Who's your carrier? Is this a cheap plan that is subsidized by in-your-face ads? If so you might not be able to disable them. As said above, call your carrier.

logical Oct 23, 2018 10:23 AM

Didnt even know iPhones could get a push message like that :lol: Carrier looks sleazy as hell.

logical Oct 23, 2018 10:28 AM

I had a quick google and it seems the US doesnt allow ads like this.

A solution that may work is dialing *121*46#. It turns those ads off for certain countries.

Kain Oct 24, 2018 11:50 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, this is a cheap plan. It's a pre-paid plan with no data. I just use Wi-Fi for data/Internet.

The carrier is Etisalat. I'll try to contact them about it.

I tried dialing *121*46# but it said "Invalid Service".

Lastly, why would Apple even allow such a thing on iOS?

Athena Oct 24, 2018 12:23 PM

I think you answered your own question with "Yes, this is a cheap plan"
Apple is not controlling you to put the phone on the cheap plan. Would you rather they block your cheap plan? Or are you hoping they would allow you the cheap plan but block the the Carrier the ad money they need to pay for the plan you have by blocking the popups?
I would suggest a different, maybe not so cheap plan, with out the popups. :D

Kain Oct 27, 2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athena (Post 1338099482)
I think you answered your own question with "Yes, this is a cheap plan"
Apple is not controlling you to put the phone on the cheap plan. Would you rather they block your cheap plan? Or are you hoping they would allow you the cheap plan but block the the Carrier the ad money they need to pay for the plan you have by blocking the popups?
I would suggest a different, maybe not so cheap plan, with out the popups. :D

These are the carrier's own deals that the carrier itself is forcing in my face. They don't get any ad money for these ads (unless they like paying themselves for these ads). Who says iPhones only deserve high-end plans? :nuts:

Also, my question was not answered. Why would Apple even allow these kind of ads/pop-ups on iOS? Unless these types of messages are meant for something else and the carrier is abusing the system.

Mahjik Oct 27, 2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain (Post 1338100191)
Also, my question was not answered. Why would Apple even allow these kind of ads/pop-ups on iOS? Unless these types of messages are meant for something else and the carrier is abusing the system.

Look at it another way, why would Apple block anything that wasn't a security concern? All that would do is alienate carriers from using their devices which they aren't going to do.

Kain Oct 31, 2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1338100212)
Look at it another way, why would Apple block anything that wasn't a security concern? All that would do is alienate carriers from using their devices which they aren't going to do.

I don't want to start an argument but I can already think of a few things that Apple "blocks" that are not likely to be security issues/concerns. For example, iOS only supports MP4 video files and you can only transfer media onto iOS devices through iTunes.

Mahjik Oct 31, 2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain (Post 1338101120)
For example, iOS only supports MP4 video files and you can only transfer media onto iOS devices through iTunes.

That's a user limitation, not a carrier limitation.

KAC Nov 2, 2018 07:09 AM

I get this crap as well and don’t know wtf to do. If you do find a solution let me know what up.

0091/2 Nov 4, 2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338101376)
I get this crap as well and donít know wtf to do. If you do find a solution let me know what up.

Why don't you ask this at http://xda-developers.com/ ?

Jasef Nov 5, 2018 09:14 AM

I'd be pissed as well if someone tried selling me 192kbs wtf