Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   ~ Official GAMING ON ANDROID thread ~ (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33980724)

ragejg Aug 16, 2011 09:57 AM

~ Official GAMING ON ANDROID thread ~
 

Ok, Android device owners. There's a lot of news out there about Android gaming, there's a lot of games, a few good sites that are covering this growing medium... so let's have a thread for it here. :)



This thread is NOT for:
  • Iphone/Ipad/Ipod
  • Xperia Play
  • PS Vita
  • or other non-Android portable gaming devices



Discuss games released and upcoming, game procurement options such as Android Market, control strategies, things like the Wiimote controller mod, graphics qualities/deficits and whatever else floats your boar in this realm.

Have at it!

Zero Aug 16, 2011 10:53 AM

*crickets* :bleh:

On the topic of game procurement, Amazon Free App of the Day is where I've gotten all my Android games so far. Plants vs Zombies and Angry Birds Rio are the only AAA ones I've gotten though.

Mahjik Aug 16, 2011 01:41 PM

Not to be mean, but is there any reason not to use the "Best Android Apps" thread?

http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=33965936

I've posted about several games in there already (as have others).

ragejg Aug 16, 2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1336671374)
Not to be mean, but is there any reason not to use the "Best Android Apps" thread?

http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=33965936

I've posted about several games in there already (as have others).

I think a thread just for the quickly-growing list of Android games would be a great repository for people here... I personally don't wanna read about Droid vs HTC, rooting techniques and stuff like that when I just wanna read about Android gaming. :p

Ichneumon Aug 16, 2011 02:07 PM

The one game I bought and regularly play on my droid is the RPG - Star Traders.

http://www.corytrese.com/games/startraders/index.html

t0adp1p3 Aug 16, 2011 02:41 PM

I don't use android, but if Carcassone is the same as the iphone version and you like boadgames then this is the one game you want, it has asynchrous multiplayer so you can have like 15 games going at once. It was goty fo riphone on quite a few sites, highly recommended.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result


edit: just noticed the android version was made by a different developer and they stripped out all the stuff that made the iOS version awesome, so I am taking back my recommendation.

somewon Aug 17, 2011 09:38 AM

Here are the ones that I have installed with my rating next to each of them:

Air Attack HD: 7/10
Aliens: 8/10
Angry Birds + Expansions: 9/10
Armored Strike: 8.5/10
Asphalt 6: 8/10
Battleheart: 10/10
Chess Free: 7/10
Diversion: 8.5/10
Fruit Ninja: 8/10
Gangstar: 9/10
Gun Bros: 8.5/10
Guns n Glory: 8/10
JetCarStunts: 8.5/10
Lets Golf 2 HD: 10/10
Majesty: 7.5/10
Meteor: 7/10
My Paper Plane 2: 7.5/10
N64oid (emulator): 8/10
Nesoid (emulator): 9/10
Nova: 9/10
Plants vs Zombies: 8.5/10
PBA Bowling 2: 7.5/10
Pool Break Pro: 9.5/10
Radiant HD: 9.5/10
Reckless Racing: 8.5/10
Robo Defense: 8/10
Roller: 7/10
SNesoid (emulator): 9/10
Spider Man: 9.5/10
Teeter: 7/10
Tower Raiders 2 Gold: 10/10
Tower Raiders Gold: 10/10
Turbo Granny: 7.5/10
Wordsmith: 8/10
YooNinja: 7/10


Also, I would highly recommend to anyone to hit up Gameloft's site and check out their android selection as > 90% of these are not available on the regular market places and are easily amongst the best (and graphically intensive) games out.

http://www.gameloft.com/download-games/android-games/

ragejg Aug 17, 2011 10:24 AM

What would be the most intuitive FPS? I'm sure there's one out there with a control scheme that's a notch better than the others.

t0adp1p3 Aug 17, 2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewon (Post 1336672135)




Also, I would highly recommend to anyone to hit up Gameloft's site and check out their android selection as > 90% of these are not available on the regular market places and are easily amongst the best (and graphically intensive) games out.

http://www.gameloft.com/download-games/android-games/

Keep in mind that most every game from gameloft is a knockoff with terrible voice acting, mediocre graphics, and control issues. But if you want halo or wow or uncharted etc...clones then go for it. Personally I'd rather play something with quality and character then a gameloft title. If you wait for the inevitable 99 cent sales they have, then they are totally worth it.

Seyiji Aug 17, 2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragejg (Post 1336671155)
This thread is NOT for:
  • Iphone/Ipad/Ipod
  • Xperia Play
  • PS Vita
  • or other non-Android portable gaming devices

Last I checked the Xperia Play uses an Android OS (2.3 Gingerbread) and had access to the Android Market. What is the point of blacklisting a device just because it has access to Playstation specific content?

eNforcer Aug 17, 2011 05:00 PM

Nesoid and Snesoid work pretty good on my Nexus S, but god damn almost all games are impossible to play because of the on-screen controls.

For example, in Mario for NES my thumb is almost always covering up mario lol.

Also, I'm quite impressed with GT Free+ HD

t0adp1p3 Aug 17, 2011 05:00 PM

Because it doesn't have weather and time widgets and you can't customize your screens with icons, don't you know that is what makes android for 1337 people and all other devices for n00bs! Seriously though you do have a point, it is a android device, maybe the op just didn't know that?

ragejg Aug 17, 2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seyiji (Post 1336672525)
Last I checked the Xperia Play uses an Android OS (2.3 Gingerbread) and had access to the Android Market. What is the point of blacklisting a device just because it has access to Playstation specific content?

For whatever reason I forgot it had access to Android Market. I was just thinking about the Playstation component of it.

wangFu Aug 17, 2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 (Post 1336672533)
Because it doesn't have weather and time widgets and you can't customize your screens with icons, don't you know that is what makes android for 1337 people and all other devices for n00bs! Seriously though you do have a point, it is a android device, maybe the op just didn't know that?

it does have all the stuffs, i like the stock launcher as it is though

Elysian Aug 18, 2011 01:29 AM

Why is this stickied? Especially when the similar Apple thread isn't? :confused:

eNforcer Aug 18, 2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1336672873)
Why is this stickied? Especially when the similar Apple thread isn't? :confused:

Obviously because Apple topics are not worthy

ragejg Aug 18, 2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1336672873)
Why is this stickied? Especially when the similar Apple thread isn't? :confused:

The Apple thread should be stickied as well, I'll see if I can get that taken care of. :)

Mahjik Aug 18, 2011 01:19 PM



Paradise Island

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

The is your standard "build & grind" game, not unlike those on Facebook. You build, you wait, you collect money, you build more.. etc... The game has the following things to manage:

* Employees
* Power
* Money
* Space

When you start out, you have a small allocation of all the above. Upgrading your main building increases your employees. Employees are required for new builds as well as power. As you go up levels and money, you can build bigger buildings and purchase land extensions. To gain experience for moving up levels, you collect money, build buildings, repair buildings, etc..

It seems like this would be a kin to the old "Theme" games like Theme Park and Theme Hospital, but it's not. In those games, walkway paths and such needed to be adjust to provide the optimal entry and exit paths. You also had to build things in ways to make the customers happy. In Paradise Island, there is none of that. It's just build, wait, collect money.

It also introduces another monetary type unit which you can pay real money to get more of.. They have some short cuts to collect money instead of clicking on each building, but this takes away from this 'other credit' which it doesn't explicitly say if you aren't familiar with the game.

If you like those types of Facebook games, you'll like Paradise Island. If you are looking for a Theme Park clone, you will not enjoy Paradise Island.

Elysian Aug 18, 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1336673269)


Paradise Island

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

The is your standard "build & grind" game, not unlike those on Facebook. You build, you wait, you collect money, you build more.. etc... The game has the following things to manage:

* Employees
* Power
* Money
* Space

When you start out, you have a small allocation of all the above. Upgrading your main building increases your employees. Employees are required for new builds as well as power. As you go up levels and money, you can build bigger buildings and purchase land extensions. To gain experience for moving up levels, you collect money, build buildings, repair buildings, etc..

It seems like this would be a kin to the old "Theme" games like Theme Park and Theme Hospital, but it's not. In those games, walkway paths and such needed to be adjust to provide the optimal entry and exit paths. You also had to build things in ways to make the customers happy. In Paradise Island, there is none of that. It's just build, wait, collect money.

It also introduces another monetary type unit which you can pay real money to get more of.. They have some short cuts to collect money instead of clicking on each building, but this takes away from this 'other credit' which it doesn't explicitly say if you aren't familiar with the game.

If you like those types of Facebook games, you'll like Paradise Island. If you are looking for a Theme Park clone, you will not enjoy Paradise Island.

I love this game, been playing it far too much :lol:

Mahjik Aug 18, 2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1336673285)
I love this game, been playing it far too much :lol:

Oh, I'm not saying it's bad... I play it a bit as well. ;)

Gator Aug 19, 2011 02:20 AM

I'll chime in with my love for retro-gaming. Gensoid is my favorite of the console emulators, but all of these work great:
https://slideme.org/user/yongzh

It makes me happy I have a slider keyboard too as I get a gamepad feel :)

Mahjik Aug 19, 2011 10:59 AM



Flood It!

https://market.android.com/details?i...abpixies.flood

Overall a good puzzle game. You select colors and attempt to turn the entire board into a single color. You start in the upper left corner of the board and attempt to work your way to the other 3 corners. There are 3 skill levels, but you have several options for board colors.

It's a simple game to understand, but challenging enough to keep you coming back. The games don't take long so it's a good 5-10 minute diversion which keeps your mind active. It does have adds, but they aren't annoying.

Mahjik Aug 19, 2011 11:54 AM



Gun Bros

https://market.android.com/details?i...d.gunbros_free

I've never tried this on a smartphone, but it looks and runs great on my Xoom. The controls take a little playing to get used to, but they are much more useful than some of the other action games. The game reminds me a lot of the old game Chaos Engine which I spent a LOT of hours playing. ;) The AI teammate is not the smartest and at least currently, they don't have multiplayer. It will be a solid game with that addition.

wc326 Aug 20, 2011 06:51 AM

dead space is now out on android i think

wangFu Aug 20, 2011 07:26 AM

it is, the game was good on iphone, gonna see how it plays with the xperia play controls

t0adp1p3 Aug 20, 2011 07:43 AM

Nm

aviphysics Aug 23, 2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eNforcer (Post 1336672531)
Nesoid and Snesoid work pretty good on my Nexus S, but god damn almost all games are impossible to play because of the on-screen controls.

For example, in Mario for NES my thumb is almost always covering up mario lol.

Also, I'm quite impressed with GT Free+ HD

I no it kills the portability but a connecting a wiiremote works really well. There is a free app in the market to set it up as another keyboard device.

Old RPGs work really well to cause you don't need to be fast. Been playing Fina lFantasy IX without a problem.

aviphysics Aug 23, 2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1336674113)


Gun Bros

https://market.android.com/details?i...d.gunbros_free

I've never tried this on a smartphone, but it looks and runs great on my Xoom. The controls take a little playing to get used to, but they are much more useful than some of the other action games. The game reminds me a lot of the old game Chaos Engine which I spent a LOT of hours playing. ;) The AI teammate is not the smartest and at least currently, they don't have multiplayer. It will be a solid game with that addition.

The controls remind me of SmashTV

wc326 Aug 24, 2011 01:38 AM

reckless getaway


Mahjik Aug 24, 2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wc326 (Post 1336677779)
reckless getaway

.....

Bought that over the weekend. Pretty cool game from the makers of Reckless Racing. The graphics aren't outstanding (at least on my Xoom), but the gameplay makes up for it. It's kind of like Reckless Racing crossed with Spy Hunter with some Bump 'n Jump mixed in. ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com