Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Battlefield 3 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33946969)

Chubz Jun 11, 2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_mup (Post 1335913514)
Planes need to be equal...that is all i ask. You have to have the ability to kill one from the ground. Maybe its not realistic, but its a video game. The most frustrating part of BF2 was being constantly raped by aircraft and not being able to do anything about it (if the pilot had the slightest amount of skill.)

That was one of my beefs with BF2. The anti-air systems just absolutely sucked! I always hated the missiles that had to lock on because by the time you'd gotten a lock, the jet was already out of range or completely out of view (or you were already dead!)

In BF 1942, I seem to remember that anti-air flak guns were much more effective. I always loved trying to aim ahead of the planes and hearing the *POOF POOF POOF* of those big ol' guns. It was always satisfying seeing your smoke clouds hit right on the planes and watching them go down in flames like a fireball out of the sky.

Maybe they'll get it right with BF3. I'm still wondering what era this one will be set in, but I'm willing to bet that with the popularity of the Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Battlefield Bad Company games, they'll stick to a modern-day setting not too different from the one we already saw in BF2.

Rippthrough Jun 11, 2009 06:06 PM

Ah, just imagine, remake 1942 with the new graphics engine, new physics, and a 256-player El Al.....

Chubz Jun 11, 2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rippthrough (Post 1335913789)
Ah, just imagine, remake 1942 with the new graphics engine, new physics, and a 256-player El Al.....

Ah, El Alamein. The memories! :D One of the best maps ever.

Grand Poobah Jun 11, 2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippo (Post 1335913693)
Well if its on the Frostbite engine then it will most likely be multiplatform (cause everyone likes money :D ).

DICE stated that "there is something for hardcore pcgamers" in several interviews. Which of course, prompted the BF3 speculation as well.

Also, DICE has stated that BF1943 is also a "test" of the Frostbite engine on PC, meaning its a sort of tech demo as well, not just a minigame for the hell of it. Bad Company 2 is an extenuation of that tech demo.

That said, I would not be surprised at all if BF3 is multiplatform.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtabs (Post 1335913697)
rofl

I was hoping someone would like that. Did I say it right?

Ninja6. Jun 12, 2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtabs (Post 1335913697)
rofl

You aren't laughing because Americans (?) can't use English slang are you? :p

Nah, Grand Poobah, Dog's Bollocks is used to describe something good whereas just bollocks is something bad.

E.g. "It was the dog's bollocks" - It was very good.
"It was bollocks" - It was very bad.

So for what you were trying to say, it didn't really make sense, however it would have if you just said "I call bollocks" - meaning you think it's bull****. And saying it like that would have been perfect and undistinguishable from an Englishman!
I give 10/10 for effort; cus you were close and it was better than hearing a whiny American saying :p

And people, do not be surprised if what EA publish is a let down and in all honesty, it probably will be. I would love to see a lovingly updated and restored BF1942 because it would be nostalgia-ville and it would be something I would love to play.

But I'm not going to worry about what DICE creates because if they do **** it up big with console features or plain stupidity, I am confident that the prevalent modding BF modding community will come forth and ensure whatever you want out of BF3, you will get and you will enjoy.

Grand Poobah Jun 12, 2009 12:03 PM

Ah thanks for the explanation Ninja, lol.

yeah I knew saying "the dog's bollocks" is good, but yeah...

Anyway, I am pretty excited, Bad Company 2 looks pretty awesome. And there's also Modern Warfare 2 to tide me over in the mean time.

Btw, Isle of Man is a cool place so I've heard. I want to go there.

lumpyhed Jun 12, 2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rippthrough (Post 1335913789)

Indeed pretty much, infact they could make it massively multiplayer & persistent...oops! Now i've gone and given EA ideas :cry:

shoman24v Jun 12, 2009 03:08 PM

Will this version have the stu stu stu stuttering problem :lol:

I'm interested... I totally miss playing BF2, I wish there were more people on that game. I never understood why the expansion pack had to open in its own seperate game rather then just making it all one.

*Goes to play BF2 when I get home*

dawdler Jun 12, 2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumpyhed (Post 1335914634)
Indeed pretty much, infact they could make it massively multiplayer & persistent...oops! Now i've gone and given EA ideas :cry:

I wouldnt worry so much about giving them ideas. Its EA :bleh:

Grand Poobah Jun 14, 2009 12:12 AM

What I find brilliant is the frostbite engine and the destructible environments we should be seeing on a large scale. I doubt they've doubled the 64 player cap, but perhaps they've increased it to 100, that'd be pretty cool I think.

Ninja6. Jun 14, 2009 07:16 AM

I just hope they've unlocked the larger ships so they can be moved again. Because shenanigans like moving the axis aircraft carrier and ramming into the airfield at Wake Island were some of the things which made BF1942 what it was - a fun shooter.

I think they started to take themselves too seriously after the first game. The political climate of Vietnam and the DICE, makers of the quite serious Desert Combat mod. Then unlocks and rankings. Then fun of the first game was replaced by too much of a competitive atmosphere.

And Poobah, it really depends what you want to do. The Isle of Man is a rather low-key area. I would suggest it's not the place you go on a family holiday because there's really nothing to do. It is however excellent if you want to take in scenes of natural beauty though - especially when it's good weather. Because it's an undeveloped place, once you get out of the towns (which are fairly small anyway) it's just farms and fields interspersed with glens and plantations. It's also good if you enjoy local culture, because the place is brimming with it. Many areas and places with a story behind them.

Also if you wanted a biking holiday, it's good. Fairly good driving roads and off road trails.

Doozer Jun 14, 2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja6. (Post 1335916020)
I just hope they've unlocked the larger ships so they can be moved again. Because shenanigans like moving the axis aircraft carrier and ramming into the airfield at Wake Island were some of the things which made BF1942 what it was - a fun shooter.

And bring back the subs :drool:

Espíritu_de_América Jun 14, 2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tisti (Post 1335913186)
Eh? BF2 was not set in WW2 now was it? :bleh:

I think he was referring to BF1943, which was mentioned a few posts above his. It helps if you follow posts in chronological order. ;)

Espíritu_de_América Jun 14, 2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_mup (Post 1335913514)
Planes need to be equal...that is all i ask. You have to have the ability to kill one from the ground. Maybe its not realistic, but its a video game. The most frustrating part of BF2 was being constantly raped by aircraft and not being able to do anything about it (if the pilot had the slightest amount of skill.)

Well, planes aren't equal. The J-10 is a better handling plane then the rest and that is why it was the best in the game. The bombing planes (F-15, etc) were bigger and realistically not as maneuverable. The big problem is that the F-15 is actually faster in real life so the afterburner should have taken it out of dangers way.

You did have the ability to kill it from the ground. The AA were quite effective. Don't wait till you get a lock, just fire them as you hear the tone and jump out of it so you don't get taken out by guns.

If you were on the ground you just had to avoid being in the open or in vehicles if you wanted to capture flags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubz (Post 1335913745)
That was one of my beefs with BF2. The anti-air systems just absolutely sucked! I always hated the missiles that had to lock on because by the time you'd gotten a lock, the jet was already out of range or completely out of view (or you were already dead!)

In BF 1942, I seem to remember that anti-air flak guns were much more effective. I always loved trying to aim ahead of the planes and hearing the *POOF POOF POOF* of those big ol' guns. It was always satisfying seeing your smoke clouds hit right on the planes and watching them go down in flames like a fireball out of the sky.

Maybe they'll get it right with BF3. I'm still wondering what era this one will be set in, but I'm willing to bet that with the popularity of the Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Battlefield Bad Company games, they'll stick to a modern-day setting not too different from the one we already saw in BF2.

You're comparing BF1942 with slow moving aircraft to BF2 with jet aircraft? How is an AA gun going to be as effective? They sort of had to have some sort of balance as AA guns are actually quite powerful. I was usually the first to jump into an AA vehicle on a map with a lot of aircraft. It was fun to see them run as I targeted them.

Grand Poobah Jun 14, 2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja6. (Post 1335916020)

I think they started to take themselves too seriously after the first game. The political climate of Vietnam and the DICE, makers of the quite serious Desert Combat mod. Then unlocks and rankings. Then fun of the first game was replaced by too much of a competitive atmosphere.

And Poobah, it really depends what you want to do. The Isle of Man is a rather low-key area. I would suggest it's not the place you go on a family holiday because there's really nothing to do. It is however excellent if you want to take in scenes of natural beauty though - especially when it's good weather. Because it's an undeveloped place, once you get out of the towns (which are fairly small anyway) it's just farms and fields interspersed with glens and plantations. It's also good if you enjoy local culture, because the place is brimming with it. Many areas and places with a story behind them.

Also if you wanted a biking holiday, it's good. Fairly good driving roads and off road trails.

And, according to Jeremy Clarkson, once you get out of the towns, there are no speed limits. :drool::drool:

Ninja6. Jun 14, 2009 01:54 PM

Not strictly true. There are speed limits outside of towns but the place has such low population density you can quickly get to uninhabited areas where there is no speed limit and and you can go as fast as you want. Additionally, there are no speed cameras and few police about, so you never feel like there's a policeman around the corner waiting to pull you over for anything he can.

Kraven Jun 14, 2009 02:03 PM

Bring back being able to stand on the wings of planes, had so many hours of fun doing stunts with the planes and parking jeeps on the big planes.

Pirate Neilsouth Feb 23, 2010 09:57 AM

Interview With Antic Entertainment On Junk Battles on Gaming Union talks with some developers from Antic Entertainment, creators of the browser-based RTS game Junk- Battles, including Fredrik Liliegren, co-founder and former CEO of DICE. Liliegren also discusses the Battlefield series, though his NDA still prevents him from making any real revelations. He does say he thinks Battlefield 3 will impress: "What the PC version is going to be, Battlefield 3, I think it's going to absolutely blow everyone away, but I can't tell you what it is, but it will blow people away."

KAC Feb 23, 2010 10:06 AM

I guess preorders for Battlefield BC2 made sure of that... :bleh:

JulianLyle Feb 23, 2010 01:13 PM

Of course it will be multiplatform. All devs think about money first.

daPhoenix Feb 23, 2010 01:19 PM

Wish they'd redo Battlefield Vietnam - I loved it to death.

bigtabs Feb 23, 2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianLyle (Post 1336176689)
Of course it will be multiplatform. All devs think about money first.

IDK. Battlefield 2 sold so very well because even the pirates ended up buying it so they could join the fun online.

If DICE have something else for the console space in the same time-frame; such as a massively hyped purchasable DLC for BC2 that most would want they could focus BF3 for PC where DLC doesn't do so well. Looking at BC2 it wouldn't take a great deal to turn it into BF3 and make it PC centric.

Here's hoping anyway...

{0}Salamander{0} Feb 23, 2010 02:11 PM

I so want BF3 to be like BF2 (but without the bugs). It is literally the only game that I am holding out for at the moment, however I have a feeling it will be the same watered down, console conversion crap we have been putting up with for a while now from other devs + publishers.

Didn't they (DICE) say that PC owners would "love" Bad Company 2? I played the beta, and I don't have much love for it.

Perky McGiggles Feb 23, 2010 02:12 PM

BC2 is a test for BF3. :bleh:

It'd make absolute sense for them to just duplicate what they did in BF2 for the PC only, they'd sell millions. And that is exactly why I don't expect them to do it. They'll give us a 32 player BF3 with simplified classes and small maps.

JonZ Feb 23, 2010 02:59 PM

damn, and there I was hoping BF3 to NOT be like BFC2. I played the Beta and it disappointed me on many aspects. I kinda wish it will be more like BF2 but with the destructive environment and balanced airpower.

{0}Salamander{0} Feb 23, 2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles (Post 1336176740)
BC2 is a test for BF3. :bleh:

It'd make absolute sense for them to just duplicate what they did in BF2 for the PC only, they'd sell millions. And that is exactly why I don't expect them to do it. They'll give us a 32 player BF3 with simplified classes and small maps.

So much truth in that post.

Small maps, 32 player, multiplatform.

Rifle_shot Feb 23, 2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate Neilsouth (Post 1336176555)
[url="http://www.gamingunion.net/news/interview-with-antic-entertainment-on-junk-battles--1067.html"]"What the PC version is going to be, Battlefield 3, I think it's going to absolutely blow everyone away, but I can't tell you what it is, but it will blow people away."

I really, really don't like this line. I don't want to be impressed by anything new- I want the same quality game that Battlefield 2 was- 64 player, 6 person squads, etc.

I smell huge amounts of DLC + consolized everything. Or better yet...

World of Battlefield: 3
(we just couldnt let the BF:Heroes idea die)

Auric Feb 23, 2010 08:25 PM

100 players or death.

BobbyRPI2712 Feb 23, 2010 08:34 PM

I'd love a reimagination of BF1942, with new graphics, new maps, squads, etc.

But I'd be happy with a solid new online game with big maps, lots of players, and good teamwork.

Is it that much to ask?

theshadowcult Feb 23, 2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianLyle (Post 1336176689)
Of course it will be multiplatform. All Production Companies think about money first.

Fixt.

The devs are not the ones in charge anymore, they are simply the assembly crew. It is the Prod~1 choice to spend more than half the budget on marketing, or to push for release when still bugged (though sometimes, IE Stalker, you cannot blame them), or to prioritize on sales over quality.