Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Some n00b in a Rustang tried to race me (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33864613)

ShaidarHaran Aug 16, 2006 06:32 PM

Some n00b in a Rustang tried to race me
 
I put him in his place. haha, hotshot in his '06 Rustang thinks he's the ****, but he just got taken out by a 2.2L Saturn :lol:

The race was from 60 to 120 (I pegged the odometer). I knew he wanted to play as we were getting on the freeway because I heard him downshift and saw him creeping up to make a move once we'd gotten on the freeway. The person in front of me was only going over one lane so I dropped it into 3rd @ 60 and punched it, using the force of the acceleration and the natural curve of the freeway to slingshot me out of the turn right into the apex of the curve. He kept up with me (didn't fall behind more than 5 cars) through 3rd, but once I shifted into 4th to tackle the corner I was gone.

Raped his ass. Wasn't even close. V6 Rustangs :rolleyes:

Took out a ricer in an Integra on another freeway using the same tactic yesterday. His girlfriend must think he's a loser now :lol:

Elysian Aug 16, 2006 06:35 PM

so i don't usually do this, but the other day i was driving my moms durango, just a 4.8l v8 i believe, not the big 5.9 one... so i'm cruising on the highway at about 70, and i see a red cobalt ss merging on the highway like a typical kid in a car with a big wing would... so i just floor the durango, and stayed side by side with this kid in this cobalt ss up to 110... thats sad, that a supercharged 4 cylinder "sports" car( :lol: it feels funny typing that) can't even outpace a small v8 durango...

Soong Aug 16, 2006 06:36 PM

Way to endanger your self and the public. Drunk drivers usually TRY to drive safely even if they can’t manage it.

This is just an opinion not mean to be degrading or offensive. I wish no harm to come to anybody and hope everybody lives happy lives filled with rabbits and flowers.

ShaidarHaran Aug 16, 2006 06:36 PM

I'm not even going to pretend like my car is a sports car. It's not. It just happens to be decent enough that I can out-drive most anyone, unless it's purely an HP race in a straight line. Even then I'll still take out the average ricer.

ShaidarHaran Aug 16, 2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooung (Post 1334508762)
Way to endanger your self and the public. Drunk drivers usually TRY to drive safely even if they canít manage it.

This is just an opinion not mean to be degrading or offensive. I wish no harm to come to anybody and hope everybody lives happy lives filled with rabbits and flowers.

:lol: sure you do. Which is why you want a button to kill the world with.

I don't put anyone in danger with my driving. Break the law - yes. I don't drive dangerously.

Elysian Aug 16, 2006 06:38 PM

my pathfinder has some pretty good getup too, though i easily got bested by a cobra the other night :lol: was going 45(actually going the speed limit lol), and i saw this mustang coming up, big burly exhaust, super wide tires and rims, so i give it gas and he downshifts and by the time he let the clutch out it was already over :lol:

Lupine Aug 16, 2006 06:40 PM

I remember a similar event back when I had my ex-racebike 87 CBR600F Hurricane. It was somewhat laughable. :p

ShaidarHaran Aug 16, 2006 06:51 PM

No one else think it's funny that some guy in a supposed sports car got his ass handed to him by some guy that just happens to know how to drive? I mean, I know the driver makes all the difference in the world, but if we look at the power difference alone he should've at least been able to keep up... We're talking country mile by the time I ran out 4th, and that wasn't until 120 :p

2004 Saturn Ion 5spd
HP 143
Torque 152
Weight 2716 (call it 3000 with me and the amount of gas I had in the tank)

2006 Mustang V6 5spd
HP 210
Torque 240
Weight 3373 + 160 lb driver + x amount of gas (115 is the max) call it 3600

so he's got 67 HP on me, 88 lb-ft torque, and I've got about a 600 pound advantage on him. Yeah, he should've blown my doors off. People get scared when they ride with me because I drive on instinct. I drive my car to adapt to the situation at all times. I drive like I'm in a frickin race. Not to say I throw the car around corners or burnout unnecessarily (yes, I can burnout through 1st and into 2nd with this car, without flooring it). I should be a race car driver :cool:

DigitalDemon Aug 16, 2006 06:55 PM

^^ say hello to your spider gears for me.

Drakii Aug 16, 2006 06:56 PM

v6 stangs have decent power for what they are... but seriously, if you have a v6 stang..dont race it unless it's supercharged.

gamefoo21 Aug 16, 2006 06:57 PM

It comes down to alot of driver skill... You had skill on the slight power advantage he had.

Its really that simple.

Lupine Aug 16, 2006 07:01 PM

When I was a teenager I took my dad's convertible 1978 Triumph TR-7 out for a spin. Met up w/ some friends and one of them challenged me to a little race w/ his convertible Rabbit. It was just me in my car and he had three passengers. I nearly freaking stalled the car when I dumped the clutch and he smoked me. Talk about embarrassing lol. :o

ADVERSiTY Aug 16, 2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefoo21 (Post 1334508815)
It comes down to alot of driver skill... You had skill on the slight power advantage he had.

Its really that simple.

Plus the other dude most likely had a bigger wang, which means added weight. Should negate any horsepower advantage. Then it just comes down to the other dude not dirving so well because of his bigger wang, it's an interference. With that in mind, SH should be the obvious "winner", in the "race".

Jasef Aug 16, 2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran (Post 1334508807)
No one else think it's funny that some guy in a supposed sports car

Mustangs aren't sports cars. They just aren't.

ShaidarHaran Aug 16, 2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADVERSiTY (Post 1334508835)
Plus the other dude most likely had a bigger wang, which means added weight. Should negate any horsepower advantage. Then it just comes down to the other dude not dirving so well because of his bigger wang, it's an interference. With that in mind, SH should be the obvious "winner", in the "race".

I am not a ricer. I despise rice. I have a stock American car. How am I a ricer? The other guy was driving another stock American car.

Clockwork Aug 16, 2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1334508757)
so i don't usually do this, but the other day i was driving my moms durango, just a 4.8l v8 i believe, not the big 5.9 one... so i'm cruising on the highway at about 70, and i see a red cobalt ss merging on the highway like a typical kid in a car with a big wing would... so i just floor the durango, and stayed side by side with this kid in this cobalt ss up to 110... thats sad, that a supercharged 4 cylinder "sports" car( :lol: it feels funny typing that) can't even outpace a small v8 durango...

Are you sure it was supercharged? The Cobalt SS can also be purchased without one...

Elysian Aug 16, 2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clockwork (Post 1334508849)
Are you sure it was supercharged? The Cobalt SS can also be purchased without one...

wtf why? that doesn't make sense, show me please.


edit: oh **** checked chevy.com, you're right. thats sad... i have no clue now! its still sad that my moms durango that has probably 1000lbs on that car, kept up with it...

edit2: and wtf the non supercharged engine is bigger than the supercharged one... the naturally aspirated one could easily be set up to have the power that the supercharged one has, from the factory, why the gimmick?

Omega53 Aug 16, 2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran (Post 1334508749)
I put him in his place. haha, hotshot in his '06 Rustang thinks he's the ****, but he just got taken out by a 2.2L Saturn :lol:

The race was from 60 to 120 (I pegged the odometer). I knew he wanted to play as we were getting on the freeway because I heard him downshift and saw him creeping up to make a move once we'd gotten on the freeway. The person in front of me was only going over one lane so I dropped it into 3rd @ 60 and punched it, using the force of the acceleration and the natural curve of the freeway to slingshot me out of the turn right into the apex of the curve. He kept up with me (didn't fall behind more than 5 cars) through 3rd, but once I shifted into 4th to tackle the corner I was gone.

Raped his ass. Wasn't even close. V6 Rustangs :rolleyes:

Took out a ricer in an Integra on another freeway using the same tactic yesterday. His girlfriend must think he's a loser now :lol:

Where do you live? Id love to test this first hand :bleh: (and im not stock by the way) 250hp crank 210rwhp.

ShaidarHaran Aug 16, 2006 07:14 PM

I always thought the SS was the top-end model and was supercharged from the factory...

ShaidarHaran Aug 16, 2006 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega53 (Post 1334508855)
Where do you live? Id love to test this first hand :bleh: (and im not stock by the way) 250hp crank 210rwhp.

I live 2000 miles away from you in the Twin Cities man. If you were nearby I'd love to take you on in the twisties. I've no doubt your car is faster than mine in a straight line.

Elysian Aug 16, 2006 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega53 (Post 1334508855)
Where do you live? Id love to test this first hand :bleh: (and im not stock by the way) 250hp crank 210rwhp.

you shouldn't quote #'s until you put it on the dyno. you might be disappointed when you actually get it on one.

Omega53 Aug 16, 2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1334508868)
you shouldn't quote #'s until you put it on the dyno. you might be disappointed when you actually get it on one.

That is after a dyno I did at the powerhouse place down in PA. Im getting one of their turbo's here soon and wanted to see where I was at first. http://www.powerhouse411.com

Clockwork Aug 16, 2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran (Post 1334508858)
I always thought the SS was the top-end model and was supercharged from the factory...

You thought wrong. Well, you were half wrong at least. The SS comes in two flavors..heh.

rob75383 Aug 16, 2006 09:37 PM

My old forum used to temp ban folks who posted street race stories.
Its fun to talk about and brag, but you never hear stories like-
I got pwnd by a hot blonde in a cavalier z28.
My opinion, is to race the 1/4 mile, or between the cones in a roped off course.
I'll admit to racing folks in the past, but it aint worth it. Yeah, it fun, most stupid and dangerous things are, but I've got a familiy now, so no racing unless its at the track with a rollcage in the car.

Elysian Aug 16, 2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega53 (Post 1334508988)
That is after a dyno I did at the powerhouse place down in PA. Im getting one of their turbo's here soon and wanted to see where I was at first. http://www.powerhouse411.com

good, then you'd have a dyno sheet to share with us.

Quickstrike Aug 16, 2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupine (Post 1334508785)
I remember a similar event back when I had my ex-racebike 87 CBR600F Hurricane. It was somewhat laughable. :p

Ahh nice taste.

I just bought a '92 CBR600F2.

It is the same way for me, will still beat any car on the roads here.

0-60 mph in 3 seconds.

Damn fun.

Sasquach Aug 16, 2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran (Post 1334508858)
I always thought the SS was the top-end model and was supercharged from the factory...

Technically they are.
What Chevy did was bring out the SS first (its called SS 'Supercharged', 'supercharged' being the key word here) in addition to the regular cobalt, so they could get a toehold into the sport compact market with a good offering.
The next year they introduced the midrange (which is plain jane SS) to cover the gap that the first two cars leave (lowish end cobalt, then jumps to high end SS superchargeD).
The SS supercharged and SS regular look ALMOST exactly the same. The difference being that the SS regular is available on the 4 door sedan. And the SS coupes have less ground effects stuff and smaller tires than the SS supercharged.

So simply put:
Cobalt LS/LT > Cobalt SS > Cobalt SS supercharged.

This is why the whole damn thing gets confusing because as soon as you mention SS everyone automatically assumes the supercharged version.

Greasy Aug 16, 2006 10:26 PM

shaidar, just wait until you get your G. All that tourqe will make you drool.

Elysian Aug 16, 2006 10:27 PM

the super charged one isn't exactly "high end" lol, its pretty piss poor to be honest, a saab motor with lower compression and less boost, less power, put in whats basically a cavalier...

ShaidarHaran Aug 16, 2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1334509159)
shaidar, just wait until you get your G. All that tourqe will make you drool.

Tell me about it. 306HP @ 7500 RPM and 260 lb/ft of torque (don't recall rpm). All that from a 3.5L V6. That thing's got balls. Balls and then some. Man, that's muscle car power right there, from a frickin 3.5L N/A V6!

Also, I just noticed that Nissan has registered the trademark G37. There's a bit of speculation floating around right now that the G37 will be the new G coupe :cool:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com