Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New X800 Pro -> XT Mod! Try it... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33766704)

Kombatant Jul 20, 2004 08:51 AM

N00b question: what happens when you flash a non-vivo X800 Pro with the Gigabyte Bios? It just doesn't work, or you get artifacts on boot?

The Death Jul 20, 2004 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davekap
The Death: What brand? Good job!

\

Thanks, its a PowerColor, i took off the sticker that said Radeon X800 Pro on it, and sure enough there was an actual painting underneath that was X800 XTPE style.

Quote:

N00b question: what happens when you flash a non-vivo X800 Pro with the Gigabyte Bios? It just doesn't work, or you get artifacts on boot?
You'll prolly wake up with a dead card, you may be able to flash back though.

koldphuzion Jul 20, 2004 10:53 AM

nOOb question................

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kombatant

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Death
You'll prolly wake up with a dead card, you may be able to flash back though.

The Death said it!!
Unless you hard mod it, It wont work, and im not even sure if hard modding works, you'll have to look into that one.:hmm:

EasterEEL Jul 20, 2004 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpingdrifter
if i remember rightly you can return to 12 pipes by using your origional bios with the gigabyte flash util

HiPingDrifter

Have you actually done this? The reason I ask is that I can't find a post anywhere from somebody who confirming they have successfully done this.

I have found several posts stating that the Gigabyte flash program will only work with the Gigabyte bios.

At the moment my card seems fine at 525/555 16 pipes and original bios. I am reluctant to try in case it goes wrong.

regards....EasterEEL

gamesmaster86 Jul 20, 2004 01:30 PM

I am going to buy an x800 pro vivo v.soon my questions are:

1.As far as overclocking goes whats the best at the moment?

2.What cards at the moment come with the 1.6ns memory also how much? difference does this make to overclocking capabilities.

3.Lastly does the arctic vga cooler rev 3 fit and how much more would i get out of the card with this attatched?

thanks alot for any help. :) :)

Fat Jez Jul 20, 2004 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpingdrifter
if i remember rightly you can return to 12 pipes by using your origional bios with the gigabyte flash util

I believe you have to first flash it with a Gigabyte X800 Pro bios and then your original bios. Only the Gigabyte flashing tools seem to touch the area of the bios which controls the number of pipes.

Cheers,
Jez

highpingdrifter Jul 20, 2004 03:33 PM

for anyone wanting 12 pipes back follow THIS
guide and you should be good to go.

EasterEEL Jul 20, 2004 05:00 PM

OK thanks for the heads up. It's something I want as a backup in case I hit any unexpected hitches later on

I found it funny this mod is being discussed on a retailers board, its the last place I would have looked. I wonder if they would accept a card back if it they saw the user discussing having done this on the board?

regards....EasterEEL

5150 Joker Jul 20, 2004 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasterEEL
OK thanks for the heads up. It's something I want as a backup in case I hit any unexpected hitches later on

I found it funny this mod is being discussed on a retailers board, its the last place I would have looked. I wonder if they would accept a card back if it they saw the user discussing having done this on the board?

regards....EasterEEL

Which board and got a link?

Link200 Jul 20, 2004 05:53 PM

i take it this card will most likly work?
http://www.dljsystem.com/detailsVidC...productID=2050

EasterEEL Jul 20, 2004 07:28 PM

I have tested and confirmed using:

gvf11 -p -f {original bios file name}

and it does indeed return the card to 12 pipes.

BUT how did it decide which four pipes to turn off?? How do I know it turned the same four off?? Or is the bios lock down option arbitrary i.e. only used when all 16 pipes passed initially??

Incidentally I would be interested to find out if anybody has problems with Dungeon Siege Legends of Aranna. I get some graphical glitches during the start up screens especially on the blank green screen just before the mad professor sketch!!

The game looks fine but locks up every so often. So far this is the only game/benchmark I have had problems with. The problem exists even when running with the orginal bios @ stock with 12 pipes.

The game ran fine with a Radeon 9700 Pro (but last time I played was ages ago with much older drivers).

regards....EasterEEL

dav.vx Jul 20, 2004 07:47 PM

re

i got a Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO last week. 1.6ns ram and the XT core. did the bios flash and it works like a charm! 16 pipes and520core. 100% stable. 100% satisfied!

koldphuzion Jul 21, 2004 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasterEEL

Incidentally I would be interested to find out if anybody has problems with Dungeon Siege Legends of Aranna. I get some graphical glitches during the start up screens especially on the blank green screen just before the mad professor sketch!!

The game looks fine but locks up every so often. So far this is the only game/benchmark I have had problems with. The problem exists even when running with the orginal bios @ stock with 12 pipes.

The game ran fine with a Radeon 9700 Pro (but last time I played was ages ago with much older drivers).

regards....EasterEEL

Funny you should suggest that, I'll be re-installing DS Legends within the next couple of days so i'll let you know. I used to run it on my Asus 9600XT no probs.

marscay Jul 21, 2004 09:29 AM

Clock another successful Club3d vivo -> XT softmod up.

Not the best core though - even at idle she is high and would only get stable before i opened up the extra pipes to 520 ....mem is good to 560.

Definitely need some good air cooling on this thing to get it stable at stock XT speeds. But i did bench 3dmark03 @ 12500 with the core at 480 mem 540 on my [email protected] so it's not too shabby as it is.

Malik21 Jul 21, 2004 11:03 AM

Has anyone done it with a HIS x800pro ICEQ vivo? thats the card im thinking of getting.

Ivor_Bigunn Jul 21, 2004 12:27 PM

For what it's worth, due to my inability to accurately follow simple instructions, I flashed in the wrong order, and i only got 16 pipes open when I re-flashed with my original BIOS, using Flashrom.

Still, it did work!! Can't say it's made a big difference in games I play, ie Simulators.

Club3D X800PRO. It will overclock to 517/600 apparently, according to ATITool. Is this mem speed really possible??

Good Luck to everyone!!

James M

Link200 Jul 21, 2004 12:31 PM

anyone know how often people get the 2.0ns memory instead of the 1.6ns?

Corporal Tunnel Jul 21, 2004 01:14 PM

I ordered my Gigabyte GV-R80P256V from Futurepowerpc.com after reading these threads (originally I ordered the Sapphire 9800pro to find out about the 128 bit bus, then returned it). Paid $461.40 shipped. Could have ordered the Powercolor for about $20 less, but...

Anyway, I found the card to be a little unstable. It didn't overclock real well (crapped out at ~520/500) and seemed to run rather warm. 3DMark gave my system 8000 marks. I did find that the 16 pipes were already enabled. I flashed to the ATI800XT Rev 1.0 rom, used driver cleaner 3 to remove all the old drivers, reinstalled the drivers. I now have a 800XT PE that idles about 10 degrees cooler and so far I have overclocked it to 530/575, just to be conservative with perfect results. I now get 11000 3d marks. Thanks group. You guys rock.

ZeroDamage Jul 21, 2004 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal Tunnel
I ordered my Gigabyte GV-R80P256V from Futurepowerpc.com after reading these threads (originally I ordered the Sapphire 9800pro to find out about the 128 bit bus, then returned it). Paid $461.40 shipped. Could have ordered the Powercolor for about $20 less, but...

Anyway, I found the card to be a little unstable. It didn't overclock real well (crapped out at ~520/500) and seemed to run rather warm. 3DMark gave my system 8000 marks. I did find that the 16 pipes were already enabled. I flashed to the ATI800XT Rev 1.0 rom, used driver cleaner 3 to remove all the old drivers, reinstalled the drivers. I now have a 800XT PE that idles about 10 degrees cooler and so far I have overclocked it to 530/575, just to be conservative with perfect results. I now get 11000 3d marks. Thanks group. You guys rock.

I've been trying to get that card from Gameve and I will never ever deal with that crack pot of a company ever again. Makes me wish Newegg actually had pro vivo's in stock. They are actually the worst in regards to price and avaialble and that usually is not the case with newegg. But lesson learned, do not touch Gameve. I have a feeling they may be trying to screw me since they claim to have refunded me yet my bank has not seen this money not even as a pending.

5150 Joker Jul 21, 2004 05:47 PM

Got my gigabyte x800 VIVO from GameVE and it came with 16 pipes unlocked. The core overclocked about as good as avg. around 520 and memory does 580 mhz. I'm going to flash it to the retail XT bios to see if I can maybe get more out of the core, so far I'm extremely pleased :D

GazC Jul 21, 2004 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyre
Can someone please email me the unpacked version of the XT PE BIOS as I dont have a floppy disk drive these days

Thanks

Did you get your E-mail?

Davekap Jul 21, 2004 06:57 PM

Okay... I've been reading all over about this stuff and I'm finally just going to buckle down, be a noob, and ask a list of questions I still have in my head.

1: How do I tell if my card is using the 1.6ns memory?
2: I've got the Sapphire x800 Pro VIVO. After flashing to the gigabyte x800 XT BIOS, do I use the same gigabyte flasher to flash the card back? Do I flash to ATi x800 Pro BIOS or XT BIOS? Generic ATi BIOS or Sapphire BIOS? There's so many combinations my head hurts.
3: Does the clock speed increase with the 4 pipes open, or can I see significant performance increase while keeping the clock speed at stock? (Pro stock, I don't have good cooling)
4: Can't someone post a nice simple list of instructions with links to all software needed? :)

Sorry for this ignorance, I know how people can hate it.

EasterEEL Jul 21, 2004 07:35 PM

This might help you. I pulled the info I trawled though into one post detailing what I went through during the process.

Don't forget this is a 'work in progress' thread and it has built up over several weeks, that's why it gets confusing. Its a great resource though.

Look at the mem chip if it ends with 16 it is 1.6ns.

X800pro vivo enabling 16 pipes

regards....EasterEEL

Davekap Jul 21, 2004 08:02 PM

Thank you VERY much! It's a perfect tutorial (except for step 1 because I don't plan on overclocking when I don't have very good cooling).

GazC Jul 22, 2004 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davekap
Thank you VERY much! It's a perfect tutorial (except for step 1 because I don't plan on overclocking when I don't have very good cooling).

You should at least try running 520/560 before you do the flash, it'll be no good if you don't test that speed because if you may find that your card cannot handle that speed at all and you may have problems then.

EasterEEL Jul 22, 2004 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GazC
You should at least try running 520/560 before you do the flash, it'll be no good if you don't test that speed because if you may find that your card cannot handle that speed at all and you may have problems then.

Yes you must test in case you card can't handle the higher Core Memory setting if you intend to boot up with the Gigabyte bios.

The only way around this would be to flash the Gigsbyte bios (with gigabyte flash tool)to enable the pipes and then before re-booting immediately flash back your old pro bios (using the generic flash tool).

EasterEEL

Mavke Jul 22, 2004 06:38 AM

Yeps I would also like the X800XT-PE BIOS as on the Internet you only find some X800XT version BIOS's... and the PE should be faster then the XT. Thanks

chrisyak Jul 22, 2004 04:02 PM

Newb question........I bought a X800 Pro off a guy and the card has problems,my buddy thinks it was flashed, i am not sure if the guy tried flashing back to the old bios or not.I thought i could fix this card but it is over my head.Can the card be fixed?

regardless i am going to sell the card,maby someone here may be intrested as you guys seem to know your stuff.This is not a plug but for anyone intrested contact me at [email protected]

GazC Jul 22, 2004 06:28 PM

It looks like the manufacturers have caught on :(

link

goofer Jul 22, 2004 07:35 PM

Just softmodded my PEAK x800pro. Is very stable and fast @ 510core and 555mem. Just scored 11900 in 3dm2003. I am very happy with his.

I paid 425 which is very cheap in the Netherlands. Most XTPE sell for 600+ (if you can find one).