Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New X800 Pro -> XT Mod! Try it... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33766704)

wridave Jul 3, 2004 03:45 PM

Re: New X800 Pro -> XT Mod! Try it...

Thanks everyone,
It worked perfectly, 16 active pipelines and 520 core 560 rom.
Now I will test it and see if I can hold those settings.
I am happy.

laja Jul 3, 2004 04:18 PM

Oh damn, I can't stand all these success stories. Gonna try to get a Club3d or Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO on Monday and try it myself... there's so much attraction in doing this trick myself, at home, and getting a card that is not even available in shops yet...

Uller Jul 3, 2004 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrmytoon
Did a 3d Mark 2001 run at 545/625 got 26K
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7947199

3. Next flash the X800 Pro Bios with Flashrom v2.37. This will give you your Original overclock back most likely. It worked for many and you still get 16 pipelines enabled. (Use this command: FLASHROM -P -F 0 (bios name))

4. Finally, Flash the X800 XT Bios to make your card a full fledge X800XT.
(Use this command: FLASHROM -P -F 0 (bios name))

Step 3 is unnecessary if you do step 4.

wridave Jul 3, 2004 04:59 PM

Stress testing was ok up to 3dmark03 where I saw artifacts and froze the system during the sound tests. This means my card is not quite an XT PE, I lowered my clocks to 506.25 and 544.50 memory and it's ok now. I tend to believe these cards are XT's that didn't quite make it. I will test until I find the best/safe setting and then use ATI tool to set them up.

Rage 3d tweak gave me corrupt 2d screens when I tried to lower the settings or even just clicking the default button causes corruption. I rebooted OK though.

I am very happy with the card. There seems to be a supply of these Sapphire VIVO cards with the 1.6 memory in the Toronto area. I was able to buy another one today. You can read the memory chips through the window in the retail packaging and know you are buying a good card.

Thanks

wridave Jul 3, 2004 06:27 PM

Note: New info regarding immediate 2d corruption after the flash to the xt pe bios and using ATITool or Rage3dtweak to set the clocks slower.

The corruption is caused by setting the clock to a non nnn.25 core and non nnn.50 memory setting. It happened to me with rage3dtweak first and than with ATITool. When tool is set to another .xx setting like nnn.32 I get a corrupt screen immediatly and have to reboot. It takes many attempts to get the point setting to the .25 .50 values. I have to play with the sliders and exit / load the tool until I can get these values. It's possible that these exact speeds are required by the card's clock.

It's probably wise for me to flash back to the safe settings of original bios and retain the 16 pipelines. Then I should increase core and memory.
I will try the card it like this (XT PE Bios) for awhile and see if anything else turns up.

redrain85 Jul 3, 2004 08:38 PM

Hmm, well unfortunately I'm getting inconsistent results at 520/560 clock speeds on my Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO. Sometimes it runs fine, sometimes it doesn't. Lowering the core to around 500 and memory to around 540 results in it being rock solid, though.

So it's not quite an XT PE, but damn close. Good enough for me, and I saved some cash to boot. :D

Roxen Jul 3, 2004 11:21 PM

Edit the xt bios to have pro clocks but still unlocking the 4 extra pipes, and overclock with software, just a thought.

BladeRnR Jul 3, 2004 11:26 PM

Does anyone know if this would work with an actual Gigabyte X800 Pro vivo?

I only ask because the Sapphire here in Australia is not the vivo model and we only have access to the Powercolor X800 Pro vivio and the Gigabyte one (And I think I read this doesn't work with the Powercolor).

Would be great if someone confirmed this :)

Cheers

redrain85 Jul 4, 2004 01:15 AM

Well, I heard Powercolor X800 Pro VIVOs have also been successfully Softmodded. I don't know about Gigabyte cards, though.

As for editing the BIOS, the question is how? I don't believe there are currently any BIOS editors that support editing X800 BIOSes. If I knew I could edit the BIOS, I would do it.

I know I can flash back to the Pro BIOS, but I'd like to be able to set the clocks to around 500/540 permanently.

allankyoto Jul 4, 2004 01:27 AM

Well after reading this thread I took the plunge and got a Sapphire x800 with VIVO at my local shop here in Japan.

Made the boots disks. Flashed to the Gigabyte bios. Went to windows and checked with the ATI Tools program; 16pipes enabled. I haven't done a full round of testing with games yet to confirm the stability at these speeds but that is going to happen now :)

This sooooo rocks.

edaten Jul 4, 2004 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BladeRnR
Does anyone know if this would work with an actual Gigabyte X800 Pro vivo?

I've heard that Giga"s Pro vivo need additional step
to avoid some protection.
First, flash to NON Gigabyte BIOS (maybe one of Pro's)
with flashrom. Then flash to Giga's XT BIOS with
gvf (which come with BIOS zip).

Not sure works for everyone but hope this helps.

A3XX Jul 4, 2004 08:24 AM

The mod donīt work with Powercolor. :mad:

Uller Jul 4, 2004 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A3XX
The mod donīt work with Powercolor. :mad:

Nonsense.
Some people got it working on a powercolor.

lapino Jul 5, 2004 01:16 PM

just ordered a Sapphire X800PRO ViVo (in germany). site says it's being shipped within 3-7 days, so I hope I'll have it in about 10 days. very curious if it'll be softmoddable to a X800XT. I don't think oc-ing it will be a problem since all my components are watercooled!

Hailstone Jul 5, 2004 11:29 PM

are these x800 xt bios's that are linked here VIVO?

Digiroka Jul 6, 2004 05:27 AM

Great info in this thread guys - i signed up just to reply :)
i have a club 3d vivo x800pro - it oc's to 530/570 quite happily - havent checked the memory yet, will do when i get home. I was just wondering if it was worth trying this flash (being as i have no idea what im doing with regards to BIOS) - my card seems good enough for the ruby demo (over 30 fps at all times), and i got a max 3dmark 03 score of 11,022 - will the extra pipes make that much difference considering i play at 1024x768?

many thanks.

TB303 Jul 6, 2004 07:45 AM

Hi People,

So if I don't have a Vivo - just a regular ATI X800 Pro - I can't soft mod it?

Thanks.

lapino Jul 6, 2004 07:57 AM

in the same boat here. I can wait for my Sapphire VIVO to appear from Germany (could take over 7 days or even more!) OR I could get a (non-Vivo) Sapphire 800PRO tomorrow but then I think it won't be moddable to an XT... choices...

A3XX Jul 6, 2004 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB303
Hi People,

So if I don't have a Vivo - just a regular ATI X800 Pro - I can't soft mod it?

Thanks.

Like me, u donīt...

TerraPhantm Jul 6, 2004 05:14 PM

does anyone know if the Celestica X800pros(VIVO) are soft moddable?

klevermoniker Jul 6, 2004 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digiroka
Great info in this thread guys - i signed up just to reply :)
i have a club 3d vivo x800pro - it oc's to 530/570 quite happily - havent checked the memory yet, will do when i get home. I was just wondering if it was worth trying this flash (being as i have no idea what im doing with regards to BIOS) - my card seems good enough for the ruby demo (over 30 fps at all times), and i got a max 3dmark 03 score of 11,022 - will the extra pipes make that much difference considering i play at 1024x768?

many thanks.

I'm in with this guy. I googled around for a while, searching for sapphire x800pro vivo tweaks, and stumbled on this thread. I followed Shrmytoon's instructions for the most part. Some of the BIOS flashing was scary (I had to use some of the override commands to get it to work). The Pro -> XT flash worked out fine. For the time that I had it as an XT, things were good, ATItool's cube thingy was spinning at framerates previously not experienced on my computer. Problem was, 3dmark 2k3 crashed when I tried to run it. I decided to go back to the Pro BIOS, and everything worked out fine. All 16 pipelines were open. Last night I noticed some f00ked up lighting in Far Cry that wasn't there prior to the BIOS flashing. It's not all that significant, but I have a feeling it's got something to do with the tweaking I did.

RageLtMan Jul 7, 2004 07:26 AM

Will any of these wonderful mangle-methods work for the Visiontek x800 Pro? I like the idea of four extra pipes, and the 'free' aspect of it is rather appealing.

lapino Jul 7, 2004 04:11 PM

Can any1 confirm that this 'softmod' would work on the Asus X800PRO? I found one in stock here in belgium *AND* it's the ViVo model :)

Saxon Jul 7, 2004 04:25 PM

I posted this in another topic but I think it belongs here:

I got my Gigabyte X800 Pro VIVI yesterday and it came with all 16 pipes enabled right from the box although it runs very warm (idles at 50c and goes as high as 76c under load) and wont hold a stable overclock past 510/510

TerraPhantm Jul 7, 2004 05:43 PM

I'm about to order a Sapphire X800 pro VIVO, I just want to be sure, are all of the Sapphire VIVO models soft-moddable?

Shrmytoon Jul 7, 2004 05:51 PM

So far im pretty sure it has worked on every vivo it has been tried on. Just remeber you need to remove and reinstall your drivers. It helps with the artifacting. My had little gliches here and there and after a fresh install everything was gone.

TerraPhantm Jul 7, 2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrmytoon
So far im pretty sure it has worked on every vivo it has been tried on. Just remeber you need to remove and reinstall your drivers. It helps with the artifacting. My had little gliches here and there and after a fresh install everything was gone.

Thanks I just ordered it, $418 on newegg :)

klevermoniker Jul 7, 2004 07:57 PM

I got Far Cry to work now without any of those shadow problems. It was something with the detail settings I put on. My card crashed while running at 520/560, though. I'm guessing it got too hot. I'm going to go with 500/540 for the time being, and see how that works.

DooMeous Jul 7, 2004 11:33 PM

I can confirm Powercolor vivo will softmod. I got it today from Gameve.com and ran the Gigabyte bios on it then installed the new 4.7 drivers.... POOF! 16 pipes and 14k 3dmark.

GbOnE Jul 7, 2004 11:45 PM

Can I see some proof of that 14k score? :eek: