Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   The Essential Phone now $499 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34046087)

Elysian Nov 26, 2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338036092)
Elysian - do you use a smartwatch/fitness tracker with your phone? My iphone is about belly up, but I won't buy another, so the watch goes with it and I'm thinking the Essential + a Garmin watch.

Any input? Thanks

Nope, sorry.

Lazy8s Nov 26, 2017 09:07 PM

Okay thanks

nycdarkness Nov 27, 2017 10:13 PM

399 with the camera on amazon today btw.

ASCI Blue Nov 27, 2017 11:31 PM

Erg. Android is so different from what I'm used to. :mad:

Elysian Nov 28, 2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASCI Blue (Post 1338036298)

You'll figure it out. It does things pretty well in my opinion.

Lazy8s Nov 28, 2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASCI Blue (Post 1338036298)

I'm a bit concerned about this too. I've been dumbed down using an iphone for almost 3 years. :(

ASCI Blue Nov 28, 2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338036339)
You'll figure it out. It does things pretty well in my opinion.

It does do things well, which I remember from the past. The degree of software fragmentation however is a pain. Motorola for example used to use a proprietary message app, which did really weird stuff when you save texts to a PC to read later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338036347)
I'm a bit concerned about this too. I've been dumbed down using an iphone for almost 3 years. :(

I'm used to things just working. Having gone from Windows Phone (where nothing worked) to iOS (where everything worked) this middle of the road part is annoying. I'm seeing the same issues Elysian did when connecting his phone to his stereo. It seems that in Android Bluetooth is just a communication protocol and in this case it carries just the music rather than giving the ability to access the playlist too.

Razeus Nov 28, 2017 11:04 AM

This is why I stay on iOS.

One thing I remember from my Android experience was all the "fiddling" with the phone.

Elysian Nov 28, 2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1338036365)

One thing I remember from my Android experience was all the "fiddling" with the phone.

I'm not fiddling with my Essential, it works great. Literally only thing I've done that isn't stock is the launcher and the camera app, and that doesn't take constant upkeep. I'm using my Essential Phone the same way I did my iPhone, and it's just better at that. As I've laid out in my other thread, iOS doesn't "just work" in a lot of ways.

Lazy8s Nov 28, 2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASCI Blue (Post 1338036362)
It does do things well, which I remember from the past. The degree of software fragmentation however is a pain. Motorola for example used to use a proprietary message app, which did really weird stuff when you save texts to a PC to read later.

I'm used to things just working. Having gone from Windows Phone (where nothing worked) to iOS (where everything worked) this middle of the road part is annoying. I'm seeing the same issues Elysian did when connecting his phone to his stereo. It seems that in Android Bluetooth is just a communication protocol and in this case it carries just the music rather than giving the ability to access the playlist too.

The thought of paying for another iphone if mine dies hurts lol. Issues with BT would be a problem for me as well, albeit a small one. I'll have to read up on that before I choose a phone.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338036366)
I'm not fiddling with my Essential, it works great. Literally only thing I've done that isn't stock is the launcher, and that doesn't take constant upkeep. I'm using my Essential Phone the same way I did my iPhone, and it's just better at that.

I remember most of the fiddling I did with Android wasn't necessary - almost all of it was me trying some new trick or tip.

Overall the experience wasn't great, not horrible, just not great with the 3 Notes I had. But it's been a while and it sounds like Android has come a long way since then.

Elysian Nov 28, 2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338036369)
The thought of paying for another iphone if mine dies hurts lol. Issues with BT would be a problem for me as well, albeit a small one. I'll have to read up on that before I choose a phone.

I remember most of the fiddling I did with Android wasn't necessary - almost all of it was me trying some new trick or tip.

Overall the experience wasn't great, not horrible, just not great with the 3 Notes I had. But it's been a while and it sounds like Android has come a long way since then.

I switched to iPhone two years ago after the Note 5, partially because I was tired of fiddling with crap. Android has come a long long way since then.

Lazy8s Nov 28, 2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338036370)
I switched to iPhone two years ago after the Note 5, partially because I was tired of fiddling with crap. Android has come a long long way since then.

I haven't sat down with a pure Android device...ever. I need to look my buddy up at BB and spend half an hour with an Essential or Pixel. It's a good possibility that a lot of the lag and issues I had were touchwiz (is that right?) related....

Munkus Nov 28, 2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338036372)
I haven't sat down with a pure Android device...ever. I need to look my buddy up at BB and spend half an hour with an Essential or Pixel. It's a good possibility that a lot of the lag and issues I had were touchwiz (is that right?) related....

I notice lag with pure Android as well, but honestly I think it's just the way Android loads apps vs iOS. With iOS the app window opens and then there's lag as content loads. With Android, the app window doesn't open until there's content. At least, that's my perception. I could be wrong though.

But yeah, Touchwiz is crap, IMO.

Lazy8s Nov 28, 2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338036376)
I notice lag with pure Android as well, but honestly I think it's just the way Android loads apps vs iOS. With iOS the app window opens and then there's lag as content loads. With Android, the app window doesn't open until there's content. At least, that's my perception. I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure if that's the issue either. Just that it made for a less than pleasant experience.

Then there's the old boogeyman - security. I do everything from read to banking on my iphone. I've just spent the last 30 minutes reading up on it and it seems as if Apple has the edge now, as opposed to the back and forth we always see between rivals.

I'd hate to buy an Android device and always wonder if that latest app I used is vulnerable or not. I know neither are perfect, but fewer weak spots are fewer weak spots...

somewon Nov 28, 2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338036376)

Note 8 with Touchwiz.
No Lag.
No BT Issues.
No fiddling.
Everything works, extremely well, and with buttery smoothness on top of that.

Any other phone on the market IMO is a compromise by comparison with any number of shortcomings relative to the Note8. This isn't to say that the Note8 is perfect, but it's the best phone money can buy right now.

Elysian Nov 28, 2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338036372)

I think a lot of that was related to the storage speed. The Essential Phone is UFS 2.1, which has a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 1200MB/s, it's been pretty good to me. Just ran Androbench to see what the storage speeds are like, screenshot:

I think that's not too shabby.

Lazy8s Nov 28, 2017 12:20 PM

That's not too shabby at all Elysian :lol:

Elysian Nov 28, 2017 12:42 PM

I was also playing a podcast at the same time, so that might have taken up a hair of the speed :p

Lazy8s Nov 28, 2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338036393)
I was also playing a podcast at the same time, so that might have taken up a hair of the speed :p

LOL, that says a lot.

This is a harder decision than I thought it would be. I have a decent amount invested into iOS only apps too, which has been worth it. There are 'droid alternatives, but not quite as polished yet. Getting there though.

Razeus Nov 28, 2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338036398)
LOL, that says a lot.

This is a harder decision than I thought it would be. I have a decent amount invested into iOS only apps too, which has been worth it. There are 'droid alternatives, but not quite as polished yet. Getting there though.

One thing I remember from my Android experience was the apps weren't very polished compared to their iOS versions. Most downright missing features or had completely different (ie old) UI.

Eisberg Nov 28, 2017 04:15 PM

Ha. People talking about Apple "it just works" makes me laugh. I remember the frustration of trying to do things with my wifes iphone 5s that was extremely frustrating because it was uninituitive and needlessly complex where as on the android it was intuitive and easy to do. Found the iphone to be garbage.:lol:

Elysian Nov 28, 2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1338036432)

One thing I remember from my Android experience was the apps weren't very polished compared to their iOS versions. Most downright missing features or had completely different (ie old) UI.

As I've said, Android has come a long way since then. Apple is no cakewalk either, there are some downright **** apps on iOS.

Lazy8s Nov 28, 2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisberg (Post 1338036439)
Ha. People talking about Apple "it just works" makes me laugh. I remember the frustration of trying to do things with my wifes iphone 5s that was extremely frustrating because it was uninituitive and needlessly complex where as on the android it was intuitive and easy to do. Found the iphone to be garbage.:lol:

You're the only person I've ever heard say iOS is hard. It's comically simple and easy. The only thing frustrating about it is fending off Apples ridiculous pushes to use the cloud, and recovering your photos if you screw up and allow them to be uploaded. The hardware is as stout as any other phone out there as well.

There are huge differences though, that do leave a lot of room for personal tastes and preferences.

I think "garbage" is way too strong for any of the premium priced devices today, be they Android or iOS based.

Lazy8s Nov 28, 2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338036448)
As I've said, Android has come a long way since then. Apple is no cakewalk either, there are some downright **** apps on iOS.

For sure. The app store may be a bit safer from malware than androids because of Apples stranglehold on it, but that doesn't mean the quality is always there. I have no idea how many apps I've tried and dumped.

ASCI Blue Nov 29, 2017 01:31 AM

Found some interesting stuff, it seems it's not unusual for Android to not display audio information on car stereos. There's a bucketload of people from several manufacturers complaining about this happening over bluetooth and it seems to be in relation to avcrp. Tons of people had it working in 6.x and it went to **** in 7.

Danny Nissan Nov 29, 2017 04:22 AM

My iPhone 8 Plus lags/stutters when scrolling (and unlocking) more often than my Oneplus One (2013 model?) ever did. And I've seen other iPhone 8/X-users reporting the same;

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...stutterjitter/

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...lus_sometimes/

I dont think iphones are the smoothest phones when it comes to GUI anymore.

Lazy8s Nov 29, 2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Nissan (Post 1338036576)
My iPhone 8 Plus lags/stutters when scrolling (and unlocking) more often than my Oneplus One (2013 model?) ever did. And I've seen other iPhone 8/X-users reporting the same;

Almost everyone I know with an iphone said iOS11 has been nothing but trouble for them, myself included. I wish I never installed it.

Razeus Nov 29, 2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Nissan (Post 1338036576)

iOS 11 is garbage.

I expect 11.2 to fix A LOT of stupidity. This OS was clearly rushed. Why? I'm not sure, because it's iOS and not much changed.

Elysian Nov 29, 2017 12:11 PM

I think part of the problem with stuttering/lag on iOS devices is that the Plus models have a lower resolution screen than they're rendered at, so it's always scaling everything down, which is a damned stupid way to do things.

lviz Nov 30, 2017 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338036092)
Elysian - do you use a smartwatch/fitness tracker with your phone? My iphone is about belly up, but I won't buy another, so the watch goes with it and I'm thinking the Essential + a Garmin watch.

Any input? Thanks

I've been using Garmin watches with Samsung phones for some years now. The Garmin app is not a battery drain and doesn't use much data in day-to-day use. This should be true for Essential also, unless there are bluetooth issues in it. The Garmin app has evolved quite a lot and is pretty good these days. It used to be pretty poor back in the early Vivoactive days.

One thing to consider is your use of a smartwatch. The Garmins don't do as much as proper smartwatches, but you get notifications from the phone, can do some music control etc, and the training tools of your chosen model. You also get significantly better battery life. The original Vivoactive needed charging perhaps once a week in my use, my current 935 goes 1.5 to 2 weeks on a single charge in mixed use. There are Android Wear devices that have wider app support than what Garmin's devices offer, but you lose the battery life etc.