Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Sim/RTS Recommendations (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34049813)

OverclockN' Aug 15, 2019 10:08 AM

Sim/RTS Recommendations

Looking for recommendations on a good RTS or city building sim type game from the past few years or so. I've looked at Anno 2205 and Tropico 6, but am undecided on a purchase. Civ VI is a maybe as well. I enjoyed 4, 5, and Beyond Earth. Also a big fan of past SimCity games. Command and Conquer is my favorite RTS genre.

Any other suggestions? Need an RTS/Sim fix!

Nascar24 Aug 15, 2019 10:27 AM

Cities skylines

Mahjik Aug 15, 2019 10:29 AM

If you liked C&C, check out 8-bit Armies:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/427250/8Bit_Armies/

I wouldn't buy it at full price (and I didn't), but it's a good C&C clone style RTS and really good if you can get it on sale. They have a few other variations from the same developer to consider as well.

SirBaron Aug 15, 2019 01:07 PM

Anno 1800, Cities Skylines with all expansions, or Civ 6 with all expansions. (the games are too bare without expansions except Anno).

As for RTS, prey that the C&C Remaster coming isn't shite.

Chubz Aug 15, 2019 02:01 PM

Frostpunk is a must-play!

8-Bit Armies/Hordes/Invaders is one of the few decent options when it comes to modern RTS games.

I also highly recommend SpellForce 3, which has an awesome mixture of CRPG and RTS. Apparently the stand-alone sequel (Soul Harvest) improves on the original in every way though.

OverclockN' Aug 15, 2019 02:20 PM

Going to add Steampunk and Cities Skylines to the watch list and snatch them up on the first sale. They look great. Thanks guys!

8-bit Armies looks good too, but maybe a little too simple for my tastes. Will check out some gameplay vids when I get home.

Open to more recommendations.

John C Flett Aug 15, 2019 02:30 PM

Well, I just posted in the Deals thread but Tank Warfare Tunisia 1943 is a good deep RTS and really cheap at Fanatical right now.

Not the easiest game to get into ( though easier than the original Graviteam Tactics ) but a lot of depth.

shrike126 Aug 15, 2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338148095)
Going to add Steampunk and Cities Skylines to the watch list and snatch them up on the first sale. They look great. Thanks guys!

8-bit Armies looks good too, but maybe a little too simple for my tastes. Will check out some gameplay vids when I get home.

Open to more recommendations.

Cities Skylines by far. If you liked Sim City before it turned to ****, this is the game you'll want. It's easily worth the purchase. It looks like there's even a New Player bundle that includes a few of the DLCs they've released. They put out new content pretty regularly and there's a TON of mods & add-ons in the Steam Workshop for this game. It's worth it.

Did you mean Frostpunk? I'd get Cities Skylines before Frostpunk. But that's also a pretty terrific game.

OverclockN' Aug 15, 2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Did you mean Frostpunk? I'd get Cities Skylines before Frostpunk. But that's also a pretty terrific game
Definitely meant Frostpunk. Typing on phones is getting harder as I get older. :p

JohnnyFlash Aug 15, 2019 09:36 PM

Have you played Supreme Commander? The forged alliance community is still going strong and there's lots of single player.

SirBaron Aug 16, 2019 03:55 AM

Frostpunk is also a really good game, Morality vs survival. I'm hoping that game has more content coming.

Napoleonic Aug 16, 2019 03:55 AM

well there's actually a lot of these kind of games now...

cliff empire, a cheapo city builder

foundation, a medieval city builder, on early access

kingdom and castles, city builder + combat element like stronghold

there are billions, survival tower defense + rts + rpg

surviving mars, martian city builder

northgard, viking age of mythology like rts

banished, medieval survival city builder like frostpunk

ancestors legacy, a medieval CoH, not to much depth in this one though

cossacks 3

syrian warfare, hardcore tactical rts like men of war but in syrian war, this one is very deep in the tactical mechanics... but it has not so high production quality -aka low budget indie, from russia nonetheless :lol:- so it's not as polished as MoW/CoH/WiC

wargame red dragon, the last iteration of wargame series

zero-k, a literally free to play supreme commander/ashes of the singularity "clone"

if you want management sim games there are games like factorio, 2.0 hospital, planet coaster, rise of industry, etc... there are a lot of these games nowdays, there's still plenty if you want to include RTS grand strategy, TBS, etc...

Napoleonic Aug 21, 2019 04:23 AM

a new homeworld is coming.

twonha Aug 21, 2019 06:24 AM

I'm really enjoying Islanders at the moment. It's super clean, super simple in its basic premise, but a lot of fun to figure out and super relaxing to play. Pretty graphics led by the pleasant aesthetic, fitting music, and gameplay that's quick to pick up, but not necessarily easy to master.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1046030/

Costs only 5 on Steam. :eek: