Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New X800 Pro -> XT Mod! Try it... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33766704)

MasterD Aug 1, 2004 10:28 AM

Ok, well could someone send me their old bios file by email please? [email protected] I tried getting it on the gigabyte site directly, but it won'T flash, it's telling me that decive 0 doesn'T exist or something similar..

I'm now trying 480/480, and it still locks up.. I can go through 3dmark03 once, but if I restard it right away it locks up..

I used to go as high as 550/550 with ATI Tool before my bios flash, now 480/480 and going lower.. I think I might have damaged the pipes trying the hard mod a few weeks ago..

Chezus Aug 1, 2004 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterD
Guys... I've got a little problem

I've installed DirectX 9.0C, the Catalyst 4.8betas, and

I've modded a Sapphire x800 VIVO pro to a x800XT

Things worked great, I got my XT speeds and all, but I keepo freezing! I play games (FarCry, NHL 2004, NFS:U) and everything is good... I get around 60-65C in the OverDrive tab, yet at some point (pretty random...) my comp freezes, screen goes black and I have top reboot..

I tried setting my clocks at 500/500 to minimize overheating, got around 60C in load times (I have a GIANT 3 cooling on it), bu tit still freezes!! Tried reinstalling the drivers, did not help..

Anyone has any ideas? Thx a lot

I had a similar problem with lockups/freezes on my modded X800 pro Vivo. Happened randomly ..though always when adjusting gamma/brightness in some games (eg. FarCry).
After several changes in voltages,clocks,speeds and disabling/enabling services, VPU recover,Zbuffer depth etc etc etc ..I finally solved it all by;

Turning ON! the bloody "Fastwrites" option :nuts: !

I always turned this OFF by default 'cause it doesn't provide any performance boost & several people reporting problems with it (leaving it ON).
To be honest: this was the very last thing I expected to solve this problem, I was almost sure it was an issue with the unlocked pipes :confused:

But wth ..I works now as it should be and hopefully it does the trick for others also :)

T-DOGZZ Aug 1, 2004 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amstel
Yes, no problem ..you can flash it with a bootable cd (like I did myself) :)

Amstel, i was trying to flash my saphire x8p vivo using nero 6(bootable cd) along with paddy,s bios page tips and it doesn,t allow me to flash(i get into dr.dos but i can,t load up the bios,tried every conceivable command combo with no luck)

i was hoping you can do a step by step instruction for those of us that don,t run floppies(if you have the time) if not info on the procedure you used to get the bios on the cd ie:what software and was it able to boot up just using the basic floppy commands .

THX ahead of time.

Chezus Aug 1, 2004 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-DOGZZ
Amstel, i was trying to flash my saphire x8p vivo using nero 6(bootable cd) along with paddy,s bios page tips and it doesn,t allow me to flash(i get into dr.dos but i can,t load up the bios,tried every conceivable command combo with no luck)

i was hoping you can do a step by step instruction for those of us that don,t run floppies(if you have the time) if not info on the procedure you used to get the bios on the cd ie:what software and was it able to boot up just using the basic floppy commands .

THX ahead of time.

1. I've put the flash apps (gvf11.exe and FLASHROM.EXE) along with the bios images on a FAT32 partition (ps: make sure the filenames of the *.bin files don't exceed 8 chars!).
2. Booted into DOS with a bootable cd containing dr.dos. Switched to the mentioned partition and executed the following commands:
3. flashrom -s 0 X800Pro.bin (to backup the pro bios)
4. gvf11 -p r80x256v.f1 -f (to flash the gigabyte bios)
5. Rebooted to windows to check if the 16 pipes are enabled. After that I used flashrom.exe to flash back the x800pro bios I backup'ed ('cause better overclock on this one) with the command:
flashrom -f -p 0 X800Pro.bin

good luck :)

T-DOGZZ Aug 1, 2004 05:43 PM

thx for the quick reply!
i have just one hard drive(ntfs) with 3 partitions under xp am i able to make a fat32 partition with out reformatting my os partition,can i make it on one of my non windows partition(i never dealt with fat32)
thx again

Chezus Aug 1, 2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-DOGZZ
thx for the quick reply!
i have just one hard drive(ntfs) with 3 partitions under xp am i able to make a fat32 partition with out reformatting my os partition,can i make it on one of my non windows partition(i never dealt with fat32)
thx again

You could use, for example, Partition Magic to make a (extra) FAT32 partition. Just take a small amount of free space of one of your (non-OS) partitions for this and let PM make a new FAT32 partition. (but remember: Partition Magic can screw up things, so make sure you have a backup of the data of the given partition!).

T-DOGZZ Aug 2, 2004 01:38 AM

thx again amstel partition magic worked like a charm and made a 500mb fat32 -G drive partition, so i stuck the files in there,used the bootable cd i made with nero and it wouldn,t flash or save(it was dos protected mode service)dpms.wasn,t sure if thats why it wouldn,t flash
so i made a 288mb iso boot dvdrw(lol)

also it looked like this"A:\>" so i switched to partition "G:\"pressed enter and it added the ">"to my G command."G:\>"instead of"G:\" i,m new to dos so if anyone has ideas to get me to ms dos or any dos that works i,ll be thankfull and a proud owner of 16pipes

Ballistic Jello Aug 2, 2004 08:14 PM

Hey guys! Wanted to report in and also thank everyone on this great forum. I did the bios mod on the Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO and now have a 16 Pipeline beast. Couple of lockups at XT PE speeds but backed off to 500/540 and seems rock solid. Even at that speed I am still about 2000 3D Mark 03 points higher (12,000) than my stock X800 Pro was. Sweet!

But here's a weird one for the techie guys in the forum.... I had forgotten to open up the AGP aperture from 128 MB to 256 MB. Then I remembered to do that (anticipating even better benchmark scores) and my score in 3D Mark 03 went from around 12,000 all the way down to 6,000....What gives? Shouldn't getting rid of the aperture "bottleneck" help performance?

Also, thank you Paddy007UK, wherever you are! You ROCK!! :D

PhLeMm Aug 4, 2004 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamesmaster86
has anybody tried this mod on the HIS EXCALIBUR IceQ II ATI RADEON X800 PRO 256MB GDDR3 VIVO card cause i'm tempted to get one instead of the sapphire vivo. any suggestions??? thanks

I just did the softmod to my HIS Excalibur X800 Pro IceQ II Vivo and it went without a hitch. Now running at X800 XT PE speeds with 16 pipes......very stable...36 C idle....50 C load.

Thanks to this forum and the geeks here! :D

mustrum Aug 4, 2004 04:01 AM

I found a solution. I had trouble to get above 480,hz RAM speed on my VIVO in Doom 3 but could go up to 575mhz in 3dmark.
Now i did the following:
After using stock bios and ati samsung Bios i read somewhere the original AT x800_XT bios is best.
Flashed that one and booted Doom at XT PE Speed. No green dots anymore!!!
I never tried 560mhz memory with my stock bios though. Maybe i got those artefacts from unterclocking too far/being to careful?

Anyways: My Problem is solved. :D

Slasher99 Aug 4, 2004 04:49 AM

HI All,

Sapphire x800 pro vivo

Stock could get it up to 530/580 (stock cooling)

After Gigabyte Bios Mod it only runs stable at 510/550. Idle 50 Load 75.

I am still running with the gigabyte Bios right now. I was wondering if flashing to the ATI X800 XT Samsung16.bin bios would make it more stable? Or should i just reflash my origional bios back on and Overclock it? I have not done any VM yet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx

malebo Aug 4, 2004 12:36 PM

what bios do you recommand after unlock the 16 pipes ?
the one from ati x800 XT PE ?
or a sapphire one ? or ??
please give links to donwload them
thx :)

corny Aug 4, 2004 03:20 PM

^ Flash back to old.

sexydingo Aug 4, 2004 07:16 PM

i'm having some difficulties with mine, x800pro sapphire. after flashing and unlocking the pipes succesfully i am getting alot of lockups at the default 520/560. i am using the ati x800xt bios right now, should i be flashing it to a different one? or can anyone link me a guide to the x800 pencil mod?

Neocrash Aug 4, 2004 07:50 PM

What about the Retail ATI X800 Pro? Is that unoverclockable to an XT? Are the pipelines un unlockable on the ATI card?

Chezus Aug 4, 2004 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexydingo
i'm having some difficulties with mine, x800pro sapphire. after flashing and unlocking the pipes succesfully i am getting alot of lockups at the default 520/560. i am using the ati x800xt bios right now, should i be flashing it to a different one? or can anyone link me a guide to the x800 pencil mod?

Flash back the Pro bios. Better overclocks on average.
Guide on the pencil mod here:
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=817&s=1

Neocrash Aug 4, 2004 08:02 PM

What about the Retail ATI X800 Pro? Is that unoverclockable to an XT? Are the pipelines un unlockable on the ATI card?

sexydingo Aug 4, 2004 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amstel
Flash back the Pro bios. Better overclocks on average.
Guide on the pencil mod here:
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=817&s=1

whoa, well i did the pencil mod and it's at least stable now at 500/500. let me make some 3dmark runs and see what i can get stable at. thanks for the help!

Slasher99 Aug 4, 2004 08:35 PM

Thx for the info mustrum... Now running Original ATI X800 XT bios and running stalbe at 520/560 - Idle:50 Load:77. I thought this was a little high for temps, so to be safe I decided to do a CPU to GPU Heatsink mod. I had a copper OCZ Delta Gladiator II Heatsink laying around, so I decided to mount that on the card. The fan on this thing spins at 7200 RPM so its a little on the loud side but its definatly worth it. After I finished getting it on I booted up the system and all I can say is wow!! Now Idle: 36 Load:55. Should leave me lots of room for OC:lol:!!! Anyways thought some of you would like to see some pics. I will probably go with Artic Cooler 4 when they become available(it has ram sink cooling built onto it).

T-DOGZZ Aug 5, 2004 12:10 AM

flashing with cd,s didn,t happen for me:nuts: but floppies worked: sapphire pro vivo stable at 523/564 stock, now at stock xt with gigabytes bios and it hardlocks 3dm03 sound test twice in a row ,no artifacting or snow (temps are hotter)
just wanted to post successfull flash, but need better cooling(^^^awesome cooling mod slasher99)

That Guy Aug 5, 2004 03:20 AM

Hey guys :)

Thanks for the great treasure that you all have uncovered.

I have a Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO installed with a Zalman heatsink with the heat pipe.

I tried to overclock it on the stock bios to find if it could withstand the mod. Core and mem wouldn't be stable over 505 / 500. Lots of lockups in 3DMark 01

I have managed to flashed to Gigabyte XT Bios.
ATI Tool reports that all 16 pipes are enabled and defaulted 520 / 560.
Its stable in windows. for benchmarking I have to drop it to 480 /480.

Thinking that the Gigabyte bios could be the culprit, I'll try and flash to the ATI XT bios ( have no idea where ATI Tool dumped my original bios )

but am unable to reflash to ATI X800 XT bios

keeps coming up with

A:\flashrom -0f -p o X800XT.bin

FORMAT : flashrom -o <adapter num > <filename > [ r ]

ERROR 0fl01

any ideas where I may have lead astray?

Thanks TG

corny Aug 5, 2004 03:44 AM

A:\flashrom -0f -p o X800XT.bin

Change the above to:

A:\flashrom -f -p 0 X800XT.bin

That Guy Aug 5, 2004 03:57 AM

Thanks Corny

in the post thats my own typo lol

I did type in A:\flashrom -f -p 0 X800XT.bin

my G/f was hurrying to kick me off for a game of UT

That Guy Aug 5, 2004 07:11 AM

a many thanks Corny, after re-reading your post I found that I was using " o " instead of " 0 " makes a damn huge difference lol

flashed to both original and ATI X800 XT bios, still not very stable at clocked settings. On both only managed to achieve 510 / 591 for stability in UT 2004 but crashes in 3DMarks.

I have noticed as well that overdrive has not been recognised either, which used to come through using the Gigabyte bios.
I might have a bit of a dud, thou as happy for the extra pipes

Regards TG

corny Aug 5, 2004 07:59 AM

No problem mate, 16 pipes rocks :) even at Pro speeds!

Tsunny Aug 5, 2004 08:42 AM

Quick question..

Lots of great info here. Followed the directions from X800Pro =>Gigabyte bios=>ATI bios. Now admittedly I didn't check when I first got the card.. but noticing Doom 3 wasn't running as fast as it should, I have noticed that yes I have 16 pipes enabled BUT, for some reason ATI tool reports that I have 128MB memory.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Looked around but haven't found anyone this happened to.

Orik Aug 5, 2004 09:50 AM

Ah, good old Radeon softmods. My old card was a 9500 that I modded to a 9700. Now my X800 Pro VIVO has turned out to be an equally canny purchase. All seems rock solid as a PE at standard clock speeds.

Many thanks for the excellent advice posted in this thread guys.

Derek Baker Aug 5, 2004 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orik
Ah, good old Radeon softmods. My old card was a 9500 that I modded to a 9700. Now my X800 Pro VIVO has turned out to be an equally canny purchase. All seems rock solid as a PE at standard clock speeds.

Many thanks for the excellent advice posted in this thread guys.

Is that standard clock speed for an XT or a Pro?

Derek

sexydingo Aug 5, 2004 12:22 PM

ok i did the pencil mod, and i'm running with 1.41v. I am still experiencing lock-ups past 500/500 though, card idles at around 44 and load is around 75. Is cooling my problem, or should i be messing with options like fastwrite? should i use the x800xt, gigabyte, or pro bios? i'm lost. btw it's a sapphire x800 pro vivo.

mustrum Aug 5, 2004 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexydingo
ok i did the pencil mod, and i'm running with 1.41v. I am still experiencing lock-ups past 500/500 though, card idles at around 44 and load is around 75. Is cooling my problem, or should i be messing with options like fastwrite? should i use the x800xt, gigabyte, or pro bios? i'm lost. btw it's a sapphire x800 pro vivo.

At 1.41 you wont notice any difference. 1.40 is stock. You have to go for 1.45 to feel a difference.