Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New X800 Pro -> XT Mod! Try it... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33766704)

c0s7 Jul 27, 2004 12:51 AM

nice :)

corny Jul 27, 2004 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Duderino
Hi, I've just joined Rage3D but have been reading the forums for awhile and have to say that I'm impressed. I recently bought a Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO card with GC16 memory...in other words, a moddable card. The thing is my overclock totally blows and is pretty much limited to 510 core/520 mem with ATITool showing temps at 74 load, 43 idle. Would I see a real-world performance benefit if I unlocked the 4 pipes considering that the potential for OC goes down and, if anything, I'd have to turn down the clock speeds? And has anyone noticed any weird effects/artifacts/etc from the mod? Thanks in advance.

Oh, my system spec is a P4 2.8B with 1 gig dual channel PC2700 RAM

16 Pipes with a slightly reduced OC will be faster mate.

Oddsk8er Jul 27, 2004 04:15 AM

So has anyone's card died yet? lol. I have the PowerColor X800 Pro VIVO with 1.6 ns ram. I want to try this but I really don't want to see my card get screwed over. I heard cards would start dying soon (But I'm pretty sure that was for the hard modded Pro non VIVO to XT, not sure if it applies to Pro VIVO to xt bios mod).

Intel P4 2.8c w/ CoolerMaster JET 4 HSF
ASUS P4P800 SE rev. 1004 bios
PowerColor X800 Pro VIVO
1 gb OCZ Enhanced Latency PC-3200 (2-3-2-5)
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
3 intake fans, 3 exhaust fans, plus PSU at 500 watts.

Drozdov Jul 27, 2004 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0s7
YES!! please let me know, I got till like Friday to order it.. thanks man :lol:

will do :)

the cooling looks nice on the toxic version :)

c0s7 Jul 27, 2004 04:19 AM

Sure does! :cool:

GazC Jul 27, 2004 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Duderino
Hi, I've just joined Rage3D but have been reading the forums for awhile and have to say that I'm impressed. I recently bought a Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO card with GC16 memory...in other words, a moddable card. The thing is my overclock totally blows and is pretty much limited to 510 core/520 mem with ATITool showing temps at 74 load, 43 idle. Would I see a real-world performance benefit if I unlocked the 4 pipes considering that the potential for OC goes down and, if anything, I'd have to turn down the clock speeds? And has anyone noticed any weird effects/artifacts/etc from the mod? Thanks in advance.

Oh, my system spec is a P4 2.8B with 1 gig dual channel PC2700 RAM

A simple pencil mod to the ram and the core will cure what ails ya ;)

El_Duderino Jul 27, 2004 06:44 AM

Hehe. Thanks for the fast replies. As for the Vmod GazC, I'm gonna have to get my hands on a multimeter before I attempt it--not too sure I want to risk disintegrating my card either seeing as its only about 3 or so weeks old. Anyone know of any Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO that failed the mod and, if the flash doesnt work, is it game over for my graphics card? Oh, one last thing, is there any way back to 12 pipes if 16 pipes proves to be unstable? Sorry bout all the questions but I just wanna make sure I have an exit strategy before trying this thing out just in case it all goes FUBAR. Thanks again.

mustrum Jul 27, 2004 06:56 AM

No risk no fun!! :evil:
My powercolor vivo arrives by te end of the week.
I'll post the results as soon i got it. :D

c0s7 Jul 27, 2004 11:34 AM

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON X800 PRO Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "AX800PRO/TD/256" -RETAIL

- Specifications -

Chipset/Core Speed: ATI Radeon X800 PRO/475MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB GDDR3/900MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out (S-Video/Composite) + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9, OpenGL 1.5
Max [email protected] Color: [email protected]
Cable/Accessories: S-Video Cable , Composite Cable, DVI to VGA adaptor, Power Cable, Manual, Driver CD, Games
Retail Box (See pics for details)
Model#: 580SR
Item#: N82E16814102380

Special FedEx Saver Shipping $3.95

Ok, so this card will flash the BIOS for sure 100% correct??, No Hardmod or anything , i want to be 100% sure before I buy it, so could someone tell me? I mean it dosent say VIVO so im confused :bleh:

ZeroDamage Jul 27, 2004 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0s7
SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON X800 PRO Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "AX800PRO/TD/256" -RETAIL

- Specifications -

Chipset/Core Speed: ATI Radeon X800 PRO/475MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 256MB GDDR3/900MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out (S-Video/Composite) + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9, OpenGL 1.5
Max [email protected] Color: [email protected]
Cable/Accessories: S-Video Cable , Composite Cable, DVI to VGA adaptor, Power Cable, Manual, Driver CD, Games
Retail Box (See pics for details)
Model#: 580SR
Item#: N82E16814102380

Special FedEx Saver Shipping $3.95

Ok, so this card will flash the BIOS for sure 100% correct??, No Hardmod or anything , i want to be 100% sure before I buy it, so could someone tell me? I mean it dosent say VIVO so im confused :bleh:

Nope, it will not. I am still waiting for Newegg to refund my money on this. Should be cleared by tomorrow or Thursday. That is NOT a vivo card.

corny Jul 27, 2004 01:17 PM

X800 Pro Sapphire VIVO, 16 Pipes open at stock Pro speeds, 10944 3Dmarks.

El_Duderino Jul 27, 2004 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corny
X800 Pro Sapphire VIVO, 16 Pipes open at stock Pro speeds, 10944 3Dmarks.

Hi corny. Could you let me know what 3dMark score you were getting on that Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO running at stock before the mod ie with 12 pipelines? I've got the same card and am trying to decide whether its worth modding. Any issues with stability or temps? Thanks.

c0s7 Jul 27, 2004 02:58 PM

corny , where did you get your Sapphire x800 pro with VIVO then if newegg dosent have 'em? :confused:

corny Jul 27, 2004 03:00 PM

UK... Ebuyer :).
12 Pipelines was 10167 El Duderino.

Temps were 44 Idle, 72 Load w/o extra cooling, now erm dunno ;) with a case fan on, will report later.

c0s7 Jul 27, 2004 03:22 PM

aww im in US :cry:

corny Jul 27, 2004 03:35 PM

Ebuyer have sold out now anyhow, ~ 30 of the normal Pro's however.

newUser123 Jul 27, 2004 03:42 PM

hey guys, i've a HIS x800 pro iceqII. it's vivo btw, any idea if this will work... i mean flashing it with the gigabyte xt bios.

corny Jul 27, 2004 04:03 PM

More than likely ;)

Copy and Paste.com

1.Make sure your card runs stable at 520/560 as this is what the xt bios will set your clocks at.

2.use ati tool to dump bios(settings/misc/dump bios) this will back up your original bios into the ati tool program folder.mine was called bios.bin and was 56kb.

3.download http://tw.giga-byte.com/Download/Do...r80x256v_f1.exe

this is all you will need to do the mod(and a floppy) it contains the flash program and the bios you need.

4.Create a boot disk(need a floppy). just pop your disk in then go to my computer and right click on the floppy disk and click on format and in there make sure you check off create boot disk. the disk will then be formatted and all the files to make the boot disk will be copied on there.

5.when the disk is finished go to the file you downloaded and extract the contents somewhere and copy all the files onto the floppy. also just for good measure put the bios that ati tool dumped on there just so u can always flash it back to original bios if somehow something goes wrong.

6.ok now reboot with the floppy in the drive and make sure you have floppy as first boot device(duh) and it will go into dos mode and you will have the a:\ on the screen.

7. now for the flashing. simply type in gvf11 -p a:\r80x256v.f1 -f

gvf11 is the flash program and r80x256v.f1 is the bios

this should only take a few seconds to do.

8.reboot and take floppy out then when windows starts you will have to reinstall your drivers,control panel etc. i used the 4.6 cats off atis website and everything worked fine so dunno about other ones.

9. The moment of truth open ati tool and you should see your core running at 520 and mem at 560. then click settings and you will see that your device id has changed from 4a49 to 4a50 and then finally look at your active pipes and there should be 16. also if you go to ati control panel now it will have the overdrive tab that you can use now too.

10. rejoice that you now have a fully fledged xt!

Flash to old if you want 16 pipes @ Pro speeds,

flashrom -p 0 Old.bin -f

Need to have flashrom v2.37 & your old bios on the disk, naturally, named as old.bin. Use ATi tool to mace your current BIOS before you start.

newUser123 Jul 27, 2004 04:22 PM

is there a way to do this without a floppy? i don't have a floppy.. LOL.. CD maybe.. any idea how to make a bootable CD?

7hoR Jul 28, 2004 01:22 AM

Hey guys, I am getting a ATI Radeon X800 Pro [Sapphire] w/VIVO. I want mod it to the XT, but I have never flashed BIOS or anything. Can someone link me to exactly the right program that I need to use, and a good tutorial? I would highly highly appreciate it. Thank you guys!

-7hoR

BladeRunner Jul 28, 2004 02:22 AM

If you are in the uk www.tekheads.co.uk is showing stock of sapphire vivo's atm, as do www.microdirect.co.uk (cheaper).

I have a tekheads sapphire vivo, oddly when I got the card it wouldn't do more than 530 core and 540 ram before the mod. I played through farcry with it stock and it would then do 530 core 560 ram. (8 hours continious of ati tool)

Decided to go for the mod. seems to have worked fine. it now has 16 pipes and XTPE clocks although it gets damn hot. Is artifact free at XTPE speeds (no pencil trick yet) over 5 seperate hour long tests using ati tool I got one pixel not matching.

I do have two fans (80mm blowing at the cards ram front and back). those getting low overclocks try much more cooling to see if it helps...

when I get a full VPU & Ram watercooler made to fully solve the heat issues, I'll up the voltage big time :D

jay age Jul 28, 2004 04:28 AM

sorry to spoil the party

hi,

sadly enough, my card is not working properly after flashing with gigabyte BIOS, even after flashing it afterwards with original BIOS to get it back to Pro speeds.

my card: Sapphire x800 Pro VIVO

what I did:
- backup original Pro BIOS
- flash with Gigabyte XT BIOS
- check what happened
ATI drivers said indeed there is now XT in my machine (haven't run ATI Tool at this time, so no idea if it reported 16 pipes). full of joy, i kicked up 3dmark03. after 2 or 3rd test - lock. hmmm, not feeling so joyous anymore. well, no biggie, after flash with original BIOS it must run at original speed, right?
- flash with backed up original Pro BIOS
Still not working. ATITool, if it does not lock up immediately, corrupting screen in the process, reports total crap: says i got 8 pipes (wtf?)

at this point the only option seems to be to flash the card back to Pro, including all settings, so that it runs only with 12 pipes just like before. anyone can help?

5150 Joker Jul 28, 2004 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay age
hi,

sadly enough, my card is not working properly after flashing with gigabyte BIOS, even after flashing it afterwards with original BIOS to get it back to Pro speeds.

my card: Sapphire x800 Pro VIVO

what I did:
- backup original Pro BIOS
- flash with Gigabyte XT BIOS
- check what happened
ATI drivers said indeed there is now XT in my machine (haven't run ATI Tool at this time, so no idea if it reported 16 pipes). full of joy, i kicked up 3dmark03. after 2 or 3rd test - lock. hmmm, not feeling so joyous anymore. well, no biggie, after flash with original BIOS it must run at original speed, right?
- flash with backed up original Pro BIOS
Still not working. ATITool, if it does not lock up immediately, corrupting screen in the process, reports total crap: says i got 8 pipes (wtf?)

at this point the only option seems to be to flash the card back to Pro, including all settings, so that it runs only with 12 pipes just like before. anyone can help?

If the flash worked initially and you could use 3dmark, all that means is that the GPU couldn't take XT PE speeds. What you should have done is used ATi tool to create a profile that puts your GPU at a lower clock during windows boot. If you want to get XT PE speeds, you may need to do the pencil mod, I had the same problem and after doing the pencil mod I can clock above XT PE speeds.

koldphuzion Jul 28, 2004 05:27 AM

Sticky?

Hey, RAGE3D,
Dont you think its time you made this thread a sticky? ;)

5150 Joker Jul 28, 2004 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koldphuzion
Hey, RAGE3D,
Dont you think its time you made this thread a sticky? ;)

Kold, how many ohms did you drop the resistance by on your card? Also, just to confirm, was the starting voltage 1.4v?

jay age Jul 28, 2004 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 Joker
If the flash worked initially and you could use 3dmark, all that means is that the GPU couldn't take XT PE speeds. What you should have done is used ATi tool to create a profile that puts your GPU at a lower clock during windows boot. If you want to get XT PE speeds, you may need to do the pencil mod, I had the same problem and after doing the pencil mod I can clock above XT PE speeds.

Problem is, it is currently NOT working even at Pro speed! (see my post above). ATITools fails to start at the moment, corrupting display OR reports 8 pipes. 3Dmark03 locks. I don't see how is pencil mod going to help with this.

Any idea how to flash it back EXACTLY to original state? It looks like my card was Pro for a reason... :(

7hoR Jul 28, 2004 09:42 AM

Thanks for the links, but I'm from America. Are there any US downloads, or does everyone use the ones from the UK site?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BladeRunner
If you are in the uk www.tekheads.co.uk is showing stock of sapphire vivo's atm, as do www.microdirect.co.uk (cheaper).

I have a tekheads sapphire vivo, oddly when I got the card it wouldn't do more than 530 core and 540 ram before the mod. I played through farcry with it stock and it would then do 530 core 560 ram. (8 hours continious of ati tool)

Decided to go for the mod. seems to have worked fine. it now has 16 pipes and XTPE clocks although it gets damn hot. Is artifact free at XTPE speeds (no pencil trick yet) over 5 seperate hour long tests using ati tool I got one pixel not matching.

I do have two fans (80mm blowing at the cards ram front and back). those getting low overclocks try much more cooling to see if it helps...

when I get a full VPU & Ram watercooler made to fully solve the heat issues, I'll up the voltage big time :D

koldphuzion Jul 28, 2004 11:06 AM

Ohms and Voltages

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 Joker
Kold, how many ohms did you drop the resistance by on your card? Also, just to confirm, was the starting voltage 1.4v?

Yes, to confirm, the starting voltage on my Powecolor X800 Pro VIVO was 1.4v, which suggests that it was originally ment to be an X800XT. My starting ohms were 419 and i dropped them just short of 50omhs, 47 to be exact. I was a little nervous to say the least but my card runs lovely and never goes over 65c which is a drop of 15c compared to when I was using the stock cooler with stock voltage. If you are going to vmod then DO NOT do it with the crap stock cooler, install a better one! :)

c0s7 Jul 28, 2004 12:56 PM

I know someone here had the TOXIC x800 PRO.. any luck yet? :lol:

Copyman Jul 28, 2004 01:17 PM

Msi Rx800pro-vtd (vivo)

Hi,

It will be that this X800PRO (VIVO) of the MSI comes equipped with mem. Samsung K4J55323QF-GC16?
Mod. for XT of the certainty?
Somebody knows something the respect of this VGA?