Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Motoring (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Official: "Favorite Racing Videos" Thread (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33919539)

OverclockN' Oct 21, 2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1337594998)
Wow... I was trying to figure out what line the yellow Corvette was driving... :p

:D

We had the track, quite literally, to ourselves the entire first half of the day. After lunch, a bunch of corvettes, porsches, a Viper ACR (that driver was insanely fast), few mustangs, etc showed up.

Mahjik Oct 21, 2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1337595031)
We had the track, quite literally, to ourselves the entire first half of the day. After lunch, a bunch of corvettes, porsches, a Viper ACR (that driver was insanely fast), few mustangs, etc showed up.

Sounds like my experience at a Fast Friday. When I was there, there were 4 cars including mine. They just had open track all morning (just go out when you wanted and stay out as long as you want). At lunch, two of the cars left and only two new ones showed up. ;)

OverclockN' Oct 21, 2014 10:18 PM

While we went to Mid America, a close friend of mine went to Road America...and had front brake failure. He was using Hawk HPS+ pads in his BMW 540i and melted the pad material clear down and fractured/ground down the backing plates. The direct heat caused the caliper seals to fail and he lost pressure and brake fluid. He started the day with 1/2 pad life. Didn't check them close enough, but there was no warning while he was driving.

Brake failure in Turn 5. Braked straight and weaved through the tire barrier. Car was still going 60mph+ when he left the racing surface and had to pump the brakes constantly to get a little pressure. He got lucky. No more Hawk pads for him. Glad he's ok!

Mahjik Oct 21, 2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1337595619)
melted the pad material clear down and fractured/ground down the backing plates. The direct heat caused the caliper seals to fail and he lost pressure and brake fluid.

And that is why the brake pads I use on the track cost about $400...

OverclockN' Oct 21, 2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1337595642)
And that is why the brake pads I use on the track cost about $400...

What do you use?

Mahjik Oct 22, 2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1337595646)
What do you use?

Colbalt Friction. For the Honda, it's $220 for the fronts and $180 for the rears (not sure if it's more or less for other vehicles). Well worth the money.

OverclockN' Oct 22, 2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1337595877)
Colbalt Friction. For the Honda, it's $220 for the fronts and $180 for the rears (not sure if it's more or less for other vehicles). Well worth the money.

Ah, I've been using Carbotechs. Doing great so far and lasting quite a long time. Looks like they are somewhat similar in price to the Cobalts at $195 front and $166 rear. May have to look into Cobalts for next season.

Mahjik Oct 22, 2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1337595910)
Ah, I've been using Carbotechs. Doing great so far and lasting quite a long time. Looks like they are somewhat similar in price to the Cobalts at $195 front and $166 rear. May have to look into Cobalts for next season.

I'm not sure how they do on the street, if you are using Carbotechs for both street and track.

OverclockN' Oct 22, 2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1337596184)
I'm not sure how they do on the street, if you are using Carbotechs for both street and track.

Track only, using XP10/XP8. I put the stock pads back on for the street.

Mahjik Oct 27, 2014 11:30 AM

How NOT to pass in DE groups..

CurrentlyPissed Oct 27, 2014 01:26 PM

Holy smokes, doesn't get much closer than that. Who would be at fault? Clearly the camera car didn't check before he started to get back over.

Mahjik Oct 27, 2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed (Post 1337598620)
Holy smokes, doesn't get much closer than that. Who would be at fault? Clearly the camera car didn't check before he started to get back over.

It's the Mustang's fault. When driving in a non-open passing session, the car in front points by each car that is allowed to pass. The camera car only did one point for one car (which was not the Mustang).

OverclockN' Oct 27, 2014 02:50 PM

Yikes. Definitely the Mustang's fault.

Although, also a good reminder of CYA. Check those mirrors again before resuming the race line.

Silent-Runner Nov 18, 2014 03:23 AM

Silent-Runner Jan 3, 2015 11:53 AM

darwin hard at work -.- one the very few people i wouldn't care about if they killed themselves, and only themselves of course...

OverclockN' Jan 13, 2015 05:11 PM

Sebring International Raceway

Another "bucket list" track down. This is the most challenging track I've done so far, having to drop all the way down to 2nd gear for a hairpin turn after going 100+mph and running WOT around walls. Went 4 wheels off the track on Turn 16, which leads to the long back straight before the really bumpy turn 17. Managed to correct the rotation and drive it straight off onto the grass, then drove back onto the track when it was safe. Tons of fun, and I can't wait to go back in 3-4 years. :)

Elysian Jan 19, 2015 05:43 PM

:lol:

OverclockN' Jan 20, 2015 09:38 AM

Friend of mine chasing Porsche's during our Sebring visit in his 3000GT VR4.

_TiTaNiuM Jan 20, 2015 10:11 AM

981 2fast

OverclockN' Jan 31, 2015 12:23 AM

OverclockN' Feb 5, 2015 12:59 AM

A little datalogging with my buddy in his Fiat 500 Abarth. Rigged up the GoPro's and mic to add an exhaust video to the YouTube channel. Still waiting on the full mod list from him, which I'll add later.

Exhaust Demo: Fiat 500 Abarth

Mahjik Feb 5, 2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1337661981)
A little datalogging with my buddy in his Fiat 500 Abarth. Rigged up the GoPro's and mic to add an exhaust video to the YouTube channel. Still waiting on the full mod list from him, which I'll add later.

That's nifty and all, but I'm not sure why someone would do that to an Abarth... It reminds me of the fart cans I hear on the low riding Honda Civics..

OverclockN' Feb 5, 2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1337662096)
That's nifty and all, but I'm not sure why someone would do that to an Abarth... It reminds me of the fart cans I hear on the low riding Honda Civics..

Do what? The Abarth has no exhaust from the factory, it's a straight pipe. They are normally loud cars. This car, only has a cat less down pipe and a tune. That's literally it. It's otherwise completely stock except for suspension.

Exhaust sounds are totally subjective, but it sounds nothing like any Honda I've ever heard.

Mahjik Feb 5, 2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1337662109)
Do what? The Abarth has no exhaust from the factory, it's a straight pipe. They are normally loud cars. This car, only has a cat less down pipe and a tune. That's literally it. It's otherwise completely stock except for suspension.

Exhaust sounds are totally subjective, but it sounds nothing like any Honda I've ever heard.

I've been around them at the track. We've had several at MAM. They never sounded like that. Now it could be just because of the placement of the mic makes the sound more pronounced, but I couldn't hear the Abarths on the track unless we were right next to them.

OverclockN' Feb 5, 2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1337662191)

I've been around them at the track. We've had several at MAM. They never sounded like that. Now it could be just because of the placement of the mic makes the sound more pronounced, but I couldn't hear the Abarths on the track unless we were right next to them.

You're deaf!:lol: This is obviously louder than stock since the cats were eliminated. But before we installed this right before Sebring, the car was still loud. We could hear him coming down the block from inside his house. That was with 100% stock exhaust.

Even with light throttle pressure, they are just plain loud. The mic in my video was placed literally right above the exhaust, attached at the license plate for a crisp, clean exhaust note. So naturally, the noise seems amplified quite a bit.

Mahjik Feb 5, 2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1337662193)
You're deaf!:lol: This is obviously louder than stock since the cats were eliminated. But before we installed this right before Sebring, the car was still loud. We could hear him coming down the block from inside his house. That was with 100% stock exhaust.

I don't call that loud (the stock exhaust), but I drive race cars with no sound dampening so anything else is pretty tame to me.

But again, I'm still not sure why someone would want to make an Abarth louder for the street.. To me, it makes no sense but then again I doubt I would ever buy a Fiat 500 for myself ever...

OverclockN' Feb 5, 2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 1337662216)
I don't call that loud (the stock exhaust), but I drive race cars with no sound dampening so anything else is pretty tame to me.

But again, I'm still not sure why someone would want to make an Abarth louder for the street.. To me, it makes no sense but then again I doubt I would ever buy a Fiat 500 for myself ever...

Why does anyone make a car louder? My Vette is totally obnoxious. I couldn't care less if anyone else is bothered by it.

I'd never get one either. As far as making it louder for the street, well...he wanted more power. The cat less downpipe helps a little with that...the extra noise is a by-product. I'm just a guy that likes pretty much everything and enjoys making videos. :lol:

Mahjik Feb 5, 2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1337662253)
Why does anyone make a car louder? My Vette is totally obnoxious. I couldn't care less if anyone else is bothered by it.

I'd never get one either. As far as making it louder for the street, well...he wanted more power. The cat less downpipe helps a little with that...the extra noise is a by-product. I'm just a guy that likes pretty much everything and enjoys making videos. :lol:

It's no real different than throwing a straight pipe on a street driven Miata... I'll never understand trying to add minute amounts of HP to an already underpowered car. If the owner is turning it into some sleeper 600 BHP drag racer, that's something else.... It just has always struck me humour hearing a loud exhaust on the highway, thinking someone is hauling *ss only to find out it's some underpowered car with an open exhaust which is having trouble getting out of it's own way...