Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Android tops in US now, WP grows, iOS and BB fall back a bit. (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33999816)

Sazar Apr 1, 2013 05:02 PM

Android tops in US now, WP grows, iOS and BB fall back a bit.

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-pho...arket-gains-us

Kantar World Panel has released it's U.S. market analysis for the three month period ending February 2013. While Android slipped into the number one spot with 51.2%, ahead of iOS, our Windows Phones has made a nice jump with its market share.

Compared to the same period in 2012, Windows Phone's market share went from 2.7% to 4.1%. Apple experienced a decline falling from 47% to 43.5% and RIM fell from 3.6% to 0.7%.

As far as U.S. carrier sales of smartphones is concerned, Kantar World indicates that Verizon is the top carrier with 35% with AT&T coming in second at 26.7%.

More details here:

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/glob...-In-Early-2013

Sasquach Apr 1, 2013 05:51 PM

Wow RIM tanked hard....does no one like Blackberries anymore? Is the Z10 even any good?

Sazar Apr 1, 2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1337208634)
Wow RIM tanked hard....does no one like Blackberries anymore? Is the Z10 even any good?

I think the numbers for the Z10 will likely show up when it is actually on sale in the US. It is currently not available.

ZaP911 Apr 1, 2013 06:21 PM

Z10 was actually launched last week in the US lol, talk about marketing fail. They're still doing well in some parts of the worlds though.

nycdarkness Apr 1, 2013 06:37 PM

Anyone else getting apple ads in their email. They have been spamming me with crap like 3-4 times a week past 2-3 weeks. It's like guys I already own everything your bragging to me about. :bleh:

Zero Apr 1, 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1337208634)

There's still a market for BBs though it's dwindling, especially if measured by new subscriptions over the past year.

The Z10 is kind of like the 920, good as a platform flagship device but crippled by a lacking ecosystem and brand reputation. Z10 will help BB stay relevant for a little bit longer but they really need to step up their game (and fire their advertising/PR people) to regain traction.

Sasquach Apr 1, 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1337208638)
I think the numbers for the Z10 will likely show up when it is actually on sale in the US. It is currently not available.

oh really?

why would they do that....

I thought Nokia was dumb having their stupid 'carrier exclusivity' bs with the Nokia line...

Plus i also remember the BB Q40 (or whatever its called, the BB10 keypad model) is supposed to be out in April too.

Sazar Apr 1, 2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 1337208660)
There's still a market for BBs though it's dwindling, especially if measured by new subscriptions over the past year.

The Z10 is kind of like the 920, good as a platform flagship device but crippled by a lacking ecosystem and brand reputation. Z10 will help BB stay relevant for a little bit longer but they really need to step up their game (and fire their advertising/PR people) to regain traction.

Well, the numbers for WP are up, so not sure how "crippled" the 920 is :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1337208661)
oh really?

why would they do that....

I thought Nokia was dumb having their stupid 'carrier exclusivity' bs with the Nokia line...

Plus i also remember the BB Q40 (or whatever its called, the BB10 keypad model) is supposed to be out in April too.

I agree, the 920 should have been launched on all platforms, but alas, Nokia doesn't have the deep pockets of a Samsung or an Apple.

Still, with the 928 out shortly for Verizon, it's not a total loss.

Elysian Apr 1, 2013 06:55 PM

Engadget had a much more biased take on this:

Windows phone sees big gains at the expense of Blackberry and Symbian

Completely ignoring the Apple losses and Android gains in the title... Apple loses 3.5% and that's "hardly a change..."

JohnEJohn Apr 1, 2013 07:02 PM

And this is one of the main reasons why I develop my apps for that particular platform.....

Sazar Apr 1, 2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1337208668)
Engadget had a much more biased take on this:

Windows phone sees big gains at the expense of Blackberry and Symbian

Completely ignoring the Apple losses and Android gains in the title... Apple loses 3.5% and that's "hardly a change..."

I think when you look at it from a global standpoint, iOS has remained relatively steady. Android just continues to grow.

Zero Apr 1, 2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1337208667)
Well, the numbers for WP are up, so not sure how "crippled" the 920 is :)

Up is relative. WP's marketshare grew big percentage-wise, but overall it's still not a significant player compared to the market leaders. I get that you're in love with WP and your 920 but come on bro, be realistic :lol:

t0adp1p3 Apr 1, 2013 08:42 PM

Hi, I get excited when the phone brand I associate myself with does well......:hmm:

Sazar Apr 1, 2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero (Post 1337208720)
Up is relative. WP's marketshare grew big percentage-wise, but overall it's still not a significant player compared to the market leaders. I get that you're in love with WP and your 920 but come on bro, be realistic :lol:

That's not it :)

I recall the arguments just a couple of short years ago when Android was just a blip and people were laughing at it.

The other thing is apart from Android, pretty much everything else fell, except WP.

Whether this holds up at the end of the year, it'll be interesting to see.

And the GS4 and HTC One releases should make things even more interesting.

**G.I.BRO** Apr 1, 2013 09:03 PM

But yeah, the z10 wasnt even on sale yet when that chart was pushed out, BB will eventually be the solid #3 player in the market... they just need to get the stock out and into peoples hands.

Zero Apr 2, 2013 12:24 AM

Wow that lady is annoying.

And business guys switching back to BB, meh. It's not helping BB's reinvented image as a more lifestyle-oriented brand.

**G.I.BRO** Apr 2, 2013 09:22 AM

Yeah, shes actually more annoying than Kevin! :runaway:

ViN86 Apr 2, 2013 09:56 AM

I think the S3 drove a lot of Android sales last year. I know quite a few people who switched from Apple to the S3 last year, instead of going with the iPhone 4s/5.

Sazar Apr 2, 2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 1337209029)
I think the S3 drove a lot of Android sales last year. I know quite a few people who switched from Apple to the S3 last year, instead of going with the iPhone 4s/5.

Full disclosure, had Apple not changed the power adapter, thereby forcing me to update all my accessories, I would have likely stayed with an iPhone, at least till I could get my hands on the One.

That accessory change forced my hand :) Ironically, my WP is completely wireless. I have plugged it to my system twice, once to get the Windows 8 Phone icon to populate, and once to synch the new Fat of the Land Enhanced Album from The Prodigy :drool:

But, the S3 has exploded in the collective consciousness.

I am going to watch Apple's next launch very carefully, especially the OS part :)

AdelphiaX Apr 2, 2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1337209368)
I am going to watch Apple's next launch very carefully, especially the OS part :)

I think everyone is. I think all 4 players in mobile are releasing updates to software / hardware in the next 2 months.

bman212121 Apr 5, 2013 11:46 PM

The only thing I don't care for about percentages is they really don't tell us what kind of volumes we are talking about. I would imagine that RIM and Symbian didn't lose 80% of their current user base but rather the number of devices has still climbed significantly.

IE if Rim had 1M phones, and they lost 20% they would still have 800K devices, but if the market increased by 20% in order to remain at the same level they would need 1.2M devices.

On the flip side the 4.1% likely understates the number of WP that they are increasing by. If they had 1M phones before, they increased that number by 50% or 1.5M. If they market grew 20% the actual number of devices is now 1.8M. so really they would have actually increased by 80% (numbers I've seen is it's roughly 2x increase year over year)

iOS probably held fairly steady and didn't increase the number of devices by much, but didn't lose any subscribers either. Then obviously android saw large gains in total number of devices. 5% increase in a market that grew 20% is actually a huge increase in device numbers. So for simplicity again say 10M devices this time would 12M devices just to keep pace, but add 5% more of the total market and your looking at around 13.2M which is about a 33% increase in total number of devices sold.

Razeus Apr 8, 2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1337208659)
Anyone else getting apple ads in their email. They have been spamming me with crap like 3-4 times a week past 2-3 weeks. It's like guys I already own everything your bragging to me about. :bleh:

Ya, I'm not sure why Apple is sending me emails on products they know I already own. I think they are feeling the pressure.

Razeus Apr 8, 2013 09:04 AM

Question:

What's it take for someone like Samsung or Facebook to use Android as the background and simply use their own scheme and call it a different OS? Wouldn't this push users NOT to use Google's services? I'm sure doing a search in Facebook is pretty much using Bing, so I'm pretty sure Google will start to have a problem with these moves Facebook/Samsung has taken lately.

HAL10000 Apr 8, 2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1337208686)
I think when you look at it from a global standpoint, iOS has remained relatively steady. Android just continues to grow.

The problem is that Android makers on the low end aren't making any real money.

It's basically like the netbook market. Apple is letting all their stupid competitors to fight over crumbs. Apple is doing well but a part of that is because their competitors are run by idiots. The quality of the executive leadership being produced by the Ivy League education system is rather self-evident these days.

Elysian Apr 8, 2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAL10000 (Post 1337213745)

It's basically like the netbook market. Apple is letting all their stupid competitors to fight over crumbs. Apple is doing well but a part of that is because their competitors are run by idiots.

Fighting for crumbs with over 50% market share, much of that held by one manufacturer? Yeah ok.

Elysian Apr 8, 2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337213637)
Question:

What's it take for someone like Samsung or Facebook to use Android as the background and simply use their own scheme and call it a different OS? Wouldn't this push users NOT to use Google's services? I'm sure doing a search in Facebook is pretty much using Bing, so I'm pretty sure Google will start to have a problem with these moves Facebook/Samsung has taken lately.

They'd probably get taken to court for trying that.

AdelphiaX Apr 8, 2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAL10000 (Post 1337213745)

It's basically like the netbook market. Apple is letting all their stupid competitors to fight over crumbs. Apple is doing well but a part of that is because their competitors are run by idiots. The quality of the executive leadership being produced by the Ivy League education system is rather self-evident these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1337213751)
Fighting for crumbs with over 50% market share, much of that held by one manufacturer? Yeah ok.

You misread what he's saying. He's talking manufacturer and you're highlighting Android in general.

Quote:

Question:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1337213752)
They'd probably get taken to court for trying that.

Not really, that's basically what 'Facebook Home' is.

ZaP911 Apr 8, 2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Question:

Amazon is already doing something similar with the Kindle Fire. It uses Android as a base but with their own separate development path; a fork. It means that they can do whatever they want with the code, but they're basically on their own.

I think Google blocks Play Store access from forked versions since it could create compatibility issues, but I assume also to discourage forked versions as they move away from Google's ecosystem. Amazon have their own app store with it's own publishing and licensing system. So more work for Android developers who already have to worry about tons of phones with different hardware configurations.

Elysian Apr 8, 2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdelphiaX (Post 1337213808)
You misread what he's saying. He's talking manufacturer and you're highlighting Android in general.

One manufacturer makes up the vast majority of Android phones sold. I said that specifically in my response.

Quote:

Not really, that's basically what 'Facebook Home' is.
No it isn't, Facebook Home is Android with a different launcher. Every manufacturer has their own launcher.

AdelphiaX Apr 9, 2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1337214104)
One manufacturer makes up the vast majority of Android phones sold. I said that specifically in my response.

You did say that as a side, you highlighted Android in general. You missed and still are, what he was saying.

Quote:

No it isn't, Facebook Home is Android with a different launcher. Every manufacturer has their own launcher.
Not really, its intended to be the only thing that people interact with on their phone, a complete replacement. Similar to how people used to, and some still do, think that AOL is the internet.