PDA

View Full Version : How to force AGP 1X transfer rate?

jmsims
Dec 14, 2000, 02:38 PM
Does anyone know how to force AGP 1X mode besides using the BIOS setup? I'm using an AIW Radeon card in an Asus P2B-VT motherboard, which resides in an HP 8575C. This motherboard supports AGP version 1.0 (1X and 2X transfer rates) using an Intel 440BX chipset. For some reason the video card and motherboard are not happy together while running in AGP 2X mode, as the PC locks up during WIN98SE loading or shortly after loading. If I force AGP 1X using agpinfo.exe from a stable environment (i.e. 4 bit color depth), then reboot to 16 bit color depth, the PC works fine with no lockups. Asus does not directly support this motherboard since it was custom made for HP, and the HP supplied BIOS setup (from Phoenix) does not allow any tweaking of the AGP parameters other than to designate the primary video adapter. I was hoping for a registry modification or something that would force the AGP 1X speed early in the bootup process. Using powerstrip or agpinfo works as long as the Windows OS is booted up, however it usually locks up before I can reach that point. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

------------------
HP8575C Pavilion / 550 MHz Pentium III
Asus P2B-VT motherboard (latest HP V1.07 bios)
Intel 440BX chipset (latest Intel V2.60 drivers)
128MB SDRAM
ATI AIW Radeon (3056 drivers)
20GB HD
Delta DPS-160GB 160W power supply
Win98SE
------------------

[This message has been edited by jmsims (edited 12-14-2000).]

ADS
Dec 14, 2000, 03:03 PM
Just an idea - try creating a PowerStrip shortcut with the following parameter:

pstrip.exe /AGP:1X /exit

Then place the shortcut in your startup group, so that it loads before anything else.

Ichneumon
Dec 14, 2000, 03:27 PM
Yes... powerstrip will allow you to force AGP 1x for your video card.

You might also see if enabling/disabling Sideband Addressing (SBA) allows 2x to work, or will work with 1x.

jmsims
Dec 15, 2000, 10:15 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. I had previously tried adding powerstrip (v2.78) with the /AGP:1X parameter in the startup folder to force AGP 1X, but for some reason the PC would still hang while booting Win98SE. Last night I ran some tests to try to find out why. I put the PC into a stable environment by setting the graphics acceleration slider to 1/3. The PC won't hang with that setting. I executed powerstrip with the /AGP:1X parameter, then examined the AGP diagnostic screen. It showed:

System board AGP transfer support - 1x, 2x
Graphics card AGP transfer support - 1x, 2x
AGP traffic currently enabled - 2x

In other words, it seems that the extra command parameter didn't actually lower my system board support rate. Not sure why? I plan to do some more experiments tonight with the new 3.0 beta version to see if there is any change. When I reboot after resetting the acceleration slider to full, the PC hangs.

If I execute agp_info.exe (from www.tweakfiles.com) (http://www.tweakfiles.com)) while in a stable environment, deselect the AGP 2X box, apply, and then run powerstrip diagnostics, I get the following:

System board AGP transfer support - 1x
Graphics card AGP transfer support - 1x, 2x
AGP traffic currently enabled - 2x

If I then change the graphics acceleration slider to full, and reboot, everything works fine, and the 'AGP traffic currently enabled' shows 1x. The problem with using the agp_info program is that I've never been able to get it to automatically force the AGP 1X rate on bootup. The readme.txt file says something about using a -set parameter to force automatic loading of an agp_info.dmp file, but I've had no luck getting that to work either. So it looks like powerstrip may still be my best hope. I wish there was a registry hack that would force the AGP 1X mode, but I have yet to hear of anything for the ATI cards.

Thanks again,

John

cchan
Dec 19, 2000, 10:26 AM
I have the almost same system as you except i am 8590C 600mhz. I got that problem also in winME, but it locks a little later or when i play game with direct3d, hehe. a direct3d card cant support direct3d :). tell me if any progress so far that fix it. I hate this damn comp. so small :(.
PS: remember to leave the pci under agp blank. i guess that's the modem/sound combine card. and where did u dl the intel chipset update?
And what's with this ****ty 160w power box

[This message has been edited by cchan (edited 12-19-2000).]

jmsims
Dec 19, 2000, 12:43 PM
I believe the 8590 uses the same Asus P2B-VT motherboard as my 8575C, so I'm not surprised that you're having problems as well. I downloaded the latest Intel chipset drivers for the 440BX from http://developer.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/inf.htm per ATI's suggestion. It didn't seem to help at all with my lockups, though. I also contacted HP support through the web forum at http://forum1.support.hp.com:88/servlet/CLA_Servlet.Login?forumNum=000254, and most of the pavilion techs seemed to think it may be a power supply issue with the 160W unit. I'm not so sure, though. The Radeons only draw about 10W, according to the specs on the installation CD. Perhaps the AIW Radeon draws a bit more (10 - 15W?). I can't find any current consumption specs for the AIW Radeon, and the ATI tech didn't know. The only other installed card in my PC is the Rockwell RipTide modem / sound combo unit, so one would think the video card should work with the 160W supply, which has at least 40W of excess capacity. I wonder if the Radeon's peak current requirements are much higher than the stated average values, or perhaps the voltages are not regulated sufficiently at the higher AGP transfer rate. Everything seems to work fine at the 1X speed.

ATI support sent me another video card to see if the first one was defective, but there was no improvement. The ATI technician and I are thinking that it's either a result of the power supply limitation or a fundamental AGP compatibility issue with the motherboard. I don't believe the current case (micro ATX) will accept a 250W or higher supply, so my best bet at present would seem to be forcing the AGP 1X speed.

I didn't have any luck getting the 3.0 beta version of pstrip to automatically force the 1X speed. It doesn't seem to work with my motherboard for some reason. I have to run it from a 'safe environment', which means turning the acceleration slider to none or 1/3 to prevent lockups. If I run agpinfo.exe and deselect the AGP 2X box, then reboot, I can run the PC for hours and hours with no problems. The tuner, DVD player, video capture, and 3D graphics all work fine in the 1X mode. I just wish there was a way to force the AGP transfer rate in the BIOS or registry.

John

euan
Dec 19, 2000, 01:42 PM
setting AGP memory aperture to 4MB (or whatever is the minimum) will disable AGP on most mobo's aparently.

JRez
Dec 19, 2000, 07:43 PM
I'll tell you what the problem is - your voltage is set too high. I have an HP 9600 series and they leave the voltage jumper @ 3.41 (default for ASUS boards). Radeon and GF are VERY picky about voltage and too much = lock-up. D/l the manual for the MB and find out what jumper needs changed to make it 3.3 instead of 3.41 - THAT is the solution and the idiots @ HP can't seem to figure it out!! Hope that helps :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by jmsims:
Does anyone know how to force AGP 1X mode besides using the BIOS setup? I'm using an AIW Radeon card in an Asus P2B-VT motherboard, which resides in an HP 8575C. This motherboard supports AGP version 1.0 (1X and 2X transfer rates) using an Intel 440BX chipset. For some reason the video card and motherboard are not happy together while running in AGP 2X mode, as the PC locks up during WIN98SE loading or shortly after loading. If I force AGP 1X using agpinfo.exe from a stable environment (i.e. 4 bit color depth), then reboot to 16 bit color depth, the PC works fine with no lockups. Asus does not directly support this motherboard since it was custom made for HP, and the HP supplied BIOS setup (from Phoenix) does not allow any tweaking of the AGP parameters other than to designate the primary video adapter. I was hoping for a registry modification or something that would force the AGP 1X speed early in the bootup process. Using powerstrip or agpinfo works as long as the Windows OS is booted up, however it usually locks up before I can reach that point. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cchan
Dec 19, 2000, 08:30 PM
Now just have to find manual for asus p2b-vt motherboard. any suggestion where to find it?
And John: It is possible to add a new power supply but it needs to be a Micro ATX power supply for all Pavion.
but ofcourse it's impossible to find Micro-ATX over 160w

New Info: Although technical info on this motherboard is scarce, we did manage to determine that the voltages for its CPU aren't changeable. another option is off :(.
but i dig out VT stand for via tech, hmm weird.

[This message has been edited by cchan (edited 12-20-2000).]

jmsims
Dec 20, 2000, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the idea about the +3.3V supply. I'll measure it tonight at the connector with a voltmeter and see what it actually is on my motherboard. Hopefully I can access it from the backside. I'm not sure which motherboard is used in the 9600 series PC's, but I don't remember seeing a jumper for the +3.3V on my 8575C. I'll look a little closer tonight.

I read somewhere that the Asus P2B-VT can come with either the Intel or Via chipset, depending on which HP product it was made for. http://www.centrix-intl.com/p2b.htm and a few other places actually sell this motherboard to a few customers outside HP, if you can believe it. The BIOS update listed at that URL is an old one, btw (v1.05). I have never seen any documentation for this board other than the brief manual and CDROM that came with the PC. Asus doesn't support it to outside customers. I wish there was another BIOS version that would allow me to set the AGP parameters such as transfer rate and memory aperture, but I've yet to see one.

John

cchan
Dec 20, 2000, 10:29 AM
omg, HP comp sucks, the mother board cant change voltage means cant overclock! damn ****ty one. so far i didnt see any voltage jumper in front.

Zer0
Dec 20, 2000, 10:44 AM
An other option to fix this problem could be using H. Oda's WPCREDIT (http://www.h-oda.com) to set AGP to 1x and then loading the bios-mod in your autoexec with WPCRSET

jmsims
Dec 20, 2000, 12:50 PM
Those WPCREDIT and WPCRSET utilities sound real interesting. They look a bit intimidating at first, but hopefully I can figure out how to use them for my purposes. Now I just need to find out which register settings force the AGP 1X transfer rate. I suppose one quick way to find out would be to examine the appropriate registers before and after changing the system board support rate using a tweak program (agpinfo.exe), and note which values have changed. It sounds like nothing is 'permanent' until I use WPCRSET, right? And if I screw up something using WPCRSET, hopefully I can just remove it from the autoexec.bat file in windows safe mode, and return to my original configuration after rebooting.

Thanks for the suggestion,

John

JRez
Dec 20, 2000, 11:07 PM
The only thing that sucks about HP computers is the way they neuter the BIOS with their own proprietary Phoenix BIOS (as far as I know, retail K7M's came with an AWARD BIOS that allowed hella more tweaking to maximize performance). I'm just disappointed that they shipped it (along with 100's of 1000's of others) without knowing about the sensitivity of today's current crop of 3D accelerators... BTW, computer runs much cooler - the V5 5500 :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by cchan:
omg, HP comp sucks, the mother board cant change voltage means cant overclock! damn ****ty one. so far i didnt see any voltage jumper in front.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jmsims
Dec 21, 2000, 09:56 AM
I agree 100% about the neutered BIOS. I keep hoping that HP will release another update that will at least allow some AGP control, but my expectations are not high. I wonder if another full functionality BIOS exists somewhere that is compatible with the Asus P2B-VT? Asus doesn't seem to have anything on their website since it is custom made for HP.

I was unable to find a convenient place to measure the +3.3V supply feeding the AIW Radeon card, so I don't know if overvoltage is contributing to the lockup problem or not. I was successful in determining which PCI configuration register is used to force the AGP transfer rate, using the WPCREDIT program. For the Intel 440BX chipset, PCI bus 0, device 0, function 0, register A4 determines the AGP data transfer type. It is set by default to 03 in my system, but if you change it to 01 then AGP 1X is forced after rebooting. This is what my agp_info.exe tweak program was doing. Another register, A8, apparently determines the current AGP data transfer rate, which is set by default to 02 for AGP 2X. I tried changing it to 01 to force AGP 1X, but my system hangs almost immediately. I decided to leave that one alone and use the register A4 by itself. For some reason, I still need to run WPCREDIT or WPCRSET in a safe environment (i.e. graphics acceleration slider set to none), then reboot with graphics acceleration set to max to achieve a stable 1X environment where I can fully use the ATI card's functions. I'm currently trying to determine where in the bootup process WPCRSET actually sets the PCI configuration registers. I don't see any entries in the autoexec.bat file, so perhaps the registry is used? WPCRSET handles everything for you after you set the register values, so it's hard to know. I need to do some more reading. Btw, register B4 determines the graphics aperture size for the 440BX, in case anyone is interested.

John

cchan
Dec 21, 2000, 11:49 PM
Does 8xxx has a onboard video card? I dont see my 8590 has any pci or agp video card, so it's build in. but i am unable to find jumper.

Xander
Apr 14, 2001, 10:54 PM
Just wondering...

My wife has an HP Pavilion 6475z. Voodoo3 3500 works fine on it, but have been trying to upgrade for what seems like MONTHS and cannot find ANY card that will work in it (it even seems like the PCI standard used is too old to use the Radeon PCIs in - have been trying all weekend to get a 32 SDR PCI working, but can't seem to iron out the palette problems or crashes when running 3d accel games!). Of course, the Voodoo4 does not offer any performance increase over the 3500, and the V5 is *way*too*big*.

Has anyone had any luck getting a Radeon to work in the AGP 1.0 slot on one of these systems? If so, I might just try and return the PCI card for an AGP (have been trying nVidia AGP cards with no luck - but at least the ATI website *says* their cards should work in a 1.0 slot).

Any help would be appreciated!

Gator
Apr 16, 2001, 07:27 AM
Granted spending money is never fun, but ask yourself if you really wanna use such a great video card in only AGP 1x mode? Many HP cases take standard ATX motherboards. Maybe you could replace the board with a more standard BX board from ABIT like the BX6r2. Or, you could go all out and get a i815chipset board like the ABIT SH6 and take advantage of AGP 4x !!! WOOHOO ;-)

Xander
Apr 16, 2001, 08:59 AM
I'd probably be still stuck with an M-ATX board (case really seems too small for all but the tiniest ATX boards), but just *try* and find a board of any kind that supports AGP 4x and PPGA (*not* FC-PGA) processors.

There aren't any.

Thus, I have to upgrade the motherboard and CPU anyway. And do you really think a 110W power supply would work with a new 3d card + P-III + multiple IDE devices? Dunno...

jmsims
May 3, 2001, 05:26 PM
Sorry, I haven't been monitoring this thread for awhile. Since there have been some more recent responses, I will bring everyone up to date. I was successful in getting the AIW Radeon card working in my AGP 1.0 slot by forcing the AGP 1x transfer rate. I haven't had a single lockup since doing that. Why would I want to run this 4X capable video card at that speed? The HP Pavilion 8575C is basically not designed to be very upgradeable. The Asus P2B-VT motherboard is theoretically capable of 2x, but due to either power supply limitations (160W) or bios compatibility issues (not much AGP control), it is not happy running at 2x with the ATI card. A lot of pavilion owners in the HP support forum have had similar lockup problems with their ATI cards, and nobody seems to know exactly why. Forcing the 1x speed has worked in a number of cases. For some reason the Voodoo cards aren't having the same lockup problems. Since I purchased this card primarily for video capture and the TV tuner, I am satisfied (for now) with the slower AGP bus speed. I am able to capture full resolution NTSC video successful using MPEG2 with no dropped frames (using I frames only). For me personally, running at 1x is a temporary solution until I decide to upgrade to a better PC.

To summarize how I forced AGP 1x, I'll repost the instructions that I placed in the HP pavilion support forum here:

-----------------

First let me describe how to identify what AGP transfer rate your PC is currently running at. A program called PCIList ( http://www.entechtaiwan.com ) will tell you this under the report window as the 'AGP traffic currently enabled' value. PCIList is very similar to the Powerstrip program offered at the same website, except that it is shareware and doesn't allow you all of the functionality of Powerstrip.

How to temporarily force AGP 1x?

If your motherboard contains an Intel 440BX or 440ZX chipset, you can temporarily force AGP 1x using a program called Agp_info (www.tweakfiles.com). This program would have to be run everytime you start up the PC, however, and requires rebooting after changing the hardware acceleration back to maximum. This is an easy way to see if running at 1x will make your system stable, before trying the automatic method. If you have one of these chipsets, download Agp_info from www.tweakfiles.com and run the program from a stable PC environment (e.g. graphics hardware acceleration set to none). Most PC's will not lock up from this state. Go to the PCI / AGP screen, and deselect the 2x box from the AGP transfer type. Apply, close, and then change the hardware acceleration back to maximum. Now reboot to allow the new AGP speed and hardware acceleration. The system should now be running in the 1x mode. To verify, run PCIList and examine the 'AGP traffic currently enabled' value.

If your chipset is not a 440BX or 440ZX, you may be able to use Powerstrip ( http://www.entechtaiwan.com ) instead of Agp_info to force the AGP transfer rate, however I won't guarantee that it'll work. I was unsuccessful in getting the /AGP:1X parameter to work with my motherboard, but you may have different results.

How to automatically force AGP 1x during Win98SE bootup?

First download WPCRSET from www.skibumsplace.com (under downloads section) or http://www.viahardware.com/wpcreditkt133.shtm and try the
following if your system includes an Intel 440BX chipset and one of these ATI video cards (NOTE: other cards and chipsets may require different settings):

For the AIW Radeon video card in the 8575C, the following entries are added into WPCRSET to force AGP 1x:

1) Bus=0, Device=0, Function=0, Register=A4, Data=01
2) Bus=0, Device=0, Function=0, Register=A8, Data=01
3) Bus=1, Device=0, Function=0, Register=60, Data=01

For those using the ATI Rage Fury Pro, try changing line 3 to:

3) Bus=1, Device=0, Function=0, Register=58, Data=01

Select START under the WPCRSET startup menu to enable these settings automatically during OS bootup. Answer 'yes' to 'does it restart?' Restart the PC and test using PCIList ( http://www.entechtaiwan.com ) to examine the 'AGP traffic currently enabled' value. If it says 1x, then the program worked. If it says 2x or if the PC hangs, then the program didn't work and you should disable WPCRSET by running the program from Windows safe mode and selecting STOP under the startup menu. Your video card may require a different setting for line 3. For other chipsets besides the Intel 440BX, lines 1 and 2 may need to change as well.

I determined which registers control the motherboard and video card AGP transfer rates by comparing the register contents between AGP 1x and 2x modes, and noting which values changed using WPCREDIT (www.h-oda.com). I initially controlled the transfer rates using Agp_info (www.tweakfiles.com), which required rebooting after changing the hardware acceleration back to maximum. If I tried to boot Win98SE using the default 2x speed, my PC would usually hang while Windows was loading unless I set the hardware acceleration to none. Note that all three registers need to be set simultaneously during bootup, otherwise the PC will hang (use WPCRSET rather than WPCREDIT to force the settings).

One note about using WPCREDIT - all changes are temporary. Rebooting will erase any changes that you've made to PCI configuration registers. Changes made using WPCRSET are more permanent. WPCRSET forces the changes early in the bootup process using a WPCRSET.VxD driver and the Windows registry. If you need to suspend all changes that you've made, boot into Windows safe mode, and run WPCRSET. This time, select STOP to suspend all automatic changes to the PCI configuration registers. Subsequent booting will not allow any changes from WPCRSET unless you select START.

This fixed all of my AGP related lockup problems with the video card. Separating the IRQ's between the video and RipTide cards also helped. This has worked for several other Pavilion owners, though I do not expect that it will address all lockup problems related to 8500 series Pavilions. There may be power supply related issues or other problems which contribute as well.

The downside of this approach is that your video card will not operate at its full potential, but it is an effective workaround nonetheless. To see how much performance hit you might see from running the AGP at 1x vs 2x or 4x within typical applications, see http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1250&p=4. The performance degradation is not as much as one might expect. I would expect that OpenGL applications will probably see the greatest performance hit. If your PC runs unusually slow at 1x, make sure that your hardware acceleration is set to maximum and that your video card IRQ is not shared with any other devices.

Hope this helps,

John

------------------
HP8575C Pavilion / 550 MHz Pentium III
Asus P2B-VT motherboard (latest HP V1.07 bios)
Intel 440BX chipset (latest Intel V2.60 drivers)
128MB SDRAM
ATI AIW Radeon (7093 drivers)
20GB HD
Delta DPS-160GB 160W power supply
Win98SE
------------------

Xander
May 5, 2001, 12:16 AM
My wife has an HP Pavilion 6475z (sort of Asus MEB-VM mobo w/ Celeron-466).

All 3dfx cards ran fine (right up to the Voodoo5 - which didn't help much, because it was too big to fit in the case if the drives were all put in). No nVidia card worked (tried GeForce GTS, 2 MX, etc). Even my Radeon 64 VIVO didn't seem to work.

Finally, I found a Radeon that did - the LE!! Can even run it at AGP 2x (max spec for the slot). Had to re-install my mobo drivers, uninstall all previous soundcard (yes, soundcard) and video card drivers from previous hardware, remove certain 3rd-party PNP detection utils from running (installed by an older ISA soundcard), stop several unnecessary HP services, and flash the latest HP BIOS. Oh, and put in a 200W power supply to replace the existing 110W supply(yikes, 110W...whose bright idea was THAT!?!)

But, it finally worked. Can even play Tribes 2 pretty good now (640x480, but still...). Of course, now when I upgrade her machine to a Duron later this year (which all come with AGP 4x slots and MUCH faster FSB), then this card will really be able to pull out the stops.

Considering what actually had to be done - if I had been willing to re-install Windows on this machine, I probably would have got it working right off. Unfortunately, the wife would not approve (lots of software came with the HP system that she wants to keep). Ah, well...least I solved the problem

jmsims
May 5, 2001, 01:26 AM
Congratulations! I would be ecstatic if I could get my card to work at 2x with my 8575C. I wonder how much of your success was due to using the LE version and upgrading to a 200W supply?

John

Eagleone
May 5, 2001, 02:53 AM
I had similar problems on another BX motherboard (soyo 6ba+iv). I had hard freezes in 3d games. I tried changing to agpx1, reducing the aperture to 4mb etc. The only thing that worked was changing the power supply. (!!)

I had a 230w supply which up to that point had no problems.

Xander
May 5, 2001, 08:04 PM
..although, the LE seemed to work okay with the 110W supply. I didn't test it too thoroughly, though, as I had just spent $60 on the 200W supply and was going to use it regardless ;-)

I think perhaps using an LE helped - it certainly requires less power from the AGP slot than any other Radeon (no on-board fan).

I did still have ugly textures on all my 3d games when I played initially (IE, all colors of the spectrum randomly picked another color to display as - screen was a mess of static-y looking textures). The mobo driver upgrade + removing old drivers + removing ISA PNP util took care of that, though.

And, yes, I am *very* happy to have a Radeon running at AGP 2x as opposed to a Voodoo card. As much as I loved them, their time has come and gone. And I like the doubled 3dMark scores, too!! :-0

murphq
May 11, 2001, 12:40 PM
I put a Radeon Ve in my HP8576c(that ryhmes). Anyways it would crash on startup. The next day I found this forum and did what jmsims did.

The mobo in the hp8576c has the intel 440zx agp set. note the ZX. INTEL has an update on thier webiste for agp set which also includes updates for all the 440 sets.

The only way to get it too work was to force AGP 1x. Also jmsims was not sure if editing the registry using WPCRSET would work for other mothoboards. It worked for mine, and it automatically forces apg 1x on reboot. THANK YOU JMSIMS!!!!!!!! My guess is that this wil work for all HP 8000 series.

jmsims
May 11, 2001, 02:21 PM
You can thank Zer0 (earlier in this thread) for the idea about using WPCRSET to force the 1x speed. Lowering the AGP transfer rate was actually one of ATI's suggested remedies for lockup problems. The hard part was getting the 1x to occur automatically during OS bootup. I finally discovered that you have to simultaneously set all three PCI configuration registers (2 for the mobo chipset, 1 for the video card) to force the 1x properly. It wasn't hard to examine the register contents using WPCREDIT.

I suppose the real question is, why do the Pavilions run fine in 1x mode, but not in 2x? Some ideas are:

1) Power supply current requirements for the video card are lower for 1x. Perhaps the supply is very marginal, especially regarding peak current capability. Upgrading the 160W power supply (in my case) might solve the problem, although the micro-ATX form factor seriously limits the upgrade options. Changing the PC case might be required.

2) Power supply voltage regulation is inadequate, especially at 2x loading. Or perhaps the AGP slot voltage(s) are not optimum for the card.

3) AGP version 1.0 vs 2.0 compatibility. This could be a factor, although it still doesn't explain why the card works fine in 1x mode but not in 2x. The ATI support tech (Richard Morrison) that I emailed is personally using an Asus P2B motherboard (without the -VT) and is not experiencing any lockup problems. My P2B-VT is a different story. Of course these are different motherboards with different BIOS's.

4) BIOS compatibility. The HP supplied (Phoenix) BIOS has little flexibility, especially with regards to AGP control. Many of the ATI suggested BIOS settings cannot be controlled using the HP BIOS. Perhaps these BIOS issues are less of a factor with certain card manufacturers (e.g. Voodoo) and are less important at 1x.

I'm sure there are other possibilities that I haven't considered.

John

zzspikerzz
May 30, 2001, 12:02 AM
hey jmsims

how do u force to 2x transfer rate using WPCRSET. wat should the settings be?

jmsims
May 30, 2001, 11:12 AM
I haven't actually tried forcing other AGP transfer rates besides 1x, but I suspect that simply changing the data to 02 for all three PCI configuration registers should force AGP 2x. For example, for the AIW Radeon and Intel 440BX chipset combination, the following should be entered into WPCRSET to force AGP 2x:

1) Bus=0, Device=0, Function=0, Register=A4, Data=02
2) Bus=0, Device=0, Function=0, Register=A8, Data=02
3) Bus=1, Device=0, Function=0, Register=60, Data=02

Note that lines 1 and 2 depend on the motherboard chipset, and line 3 depends on the video card. The best way to verify the correct settings is to temporarily force different AGP transfer rates using a tweak program such as agp_info (for 440BX or 440ZX) or powerstrip, and compare the register contents using WPCREDIT. Note that all three registers must be forced simultaneously (use WPCRSET rather than WPCREDIT to force the registers) or the PC may hang.

John