PDA

View Full Version : Wizardy 8 under Vista x64

Bladedog
Sep 17, 2007, 06:53 AM
Guys, if this should be under Operating Systems I apologise, but I figured its more to do with the game than the OS.

Anyone managed to run Wiz 8 under Vista x64?

It installed fine, and the VGA settings runs fine, but when you try to start the game it drops into the first-time mini Wiz 8 logo screen with "Please Wait" scrawled across it but never gets out of there.

I've googled but can't find anything concrete.

Anyone know a solution, or is this another reason to keep XP installed (already keeping because my Sat Nav provider has deemed it "too complicated" to provide x64 drivers!!!!)

Bladedog
Sep 18, 2007, 04:38 PM
Sorry, just one bump and then I'll drop it.

Pr()ZaC
Sep 18, 2007, 05:42 PM
Have you tried with compatibility modes?

Kev1
Sep 18, 2007, 08:56 PM
Oh wow, great to see someone else who enjoys Wizardry 8. The Wizardry series of games are lots of fun and pretty unique considering you control and manage a whole group of your choosing.

I don't know if what your experiencing is a driver issue. That is the only issue we have had running Wiz 8 under WinXP. Wizardry 8 can run in OpenGL or DirevtX8 mode, and we found with newer Nvidia drivers that it only seemed to work in OpenGL. DirectX gave graphic corruption with any Nvidia driver newer than the 56 series (Although I have not checked lately so maybe that changed).

Might be its just not compatible with an X64 operating system. Is it possible to run games designed for a 32 bit operating system to run on a 64 bit one? I have never tried to do that.

All I could suggest is trying different drivers and maybe remove then reinstall the game. If can not get it to work maybe go back to XP. Unfortunately the company that made Wizardy was sold so there is no ongoing support from them, although some die hard fans have made some cool mods and may be able to help you more.

Have you posted on the Wizardry forums? Here is link to the Wizardy webpage:

http://www.wizardry8.com/wizardry8/index1.html

Good luck, hope you get it working one way or the other. Few games provide as many hours of enjoyable gameplay as Wizardy 8 does, except maybe WOW.

Bladedog
Sep 19, 2007, 06:28 AM
@ Pr()zac: Yes changed I've tried XP and 98 compatability modes, no joy :cry:

@ Kev1: I know I can't beleieve that after so long it still keeps my interest. I hadn't noticed that Flamestryke had created a new mod (how new I don't know probably ages old) so I am keen as mustard to try it. Yes its possbile to run X32 on X64 machines, the machine simply "steps down" as I understand it.

I'm running the same level VGA drivers in XP and it doesn't seem to be a problem, but of course being x32 XP vs x64 Vista there are bound to still be differences.

I'll try the W8 forums, to be honest I'd looked around at IGN and IronWorks and their pages just didn't seem to be getting the visits they used to so I'd assumed I was going to get nothing from posting there. Plus in my experience the Rage3D crowd are second to none in terms of knowledge and assistance given.

Thanks for your input. If its back to XP then so be it, not much of a hardship given how great W8 is.

:D

Kev1
Sep 19, 2007, 02:43 PM
Yes Wizardry 8 is great. Graphics are very good and it has so many hours of gameplay and different ways to set up groups and equiping them the options seem almost endless. Its my sister's favorite game to this day and she just keeps playing and playing. The only game that she has shown interest in since Wizardy 8 is World of Warcraft, which she also likes greatly. I believe she is also still a mod on Kraggy's Bored forum's. Use to be Wizardy 8 forum and now is just a gaming forum but still has a Wizardy sub forum. Here is the URL:

http://robincollins.net/forums/

She said you can post in the Wizardry forum or the forum called geek speak on Kraggy's Bored. All so maybe try the IGN Wizardry forums. She said she does not know anyone trying to run Wizardy 8 on Windows Vista but someone may have info that helps, you never know.

SpecTP
Sep 19, 2007, 04:32 PM
Guys, if this should be under Operating Systems I apologise, but I figured its more to do with the game than the OS.

Anyone managed to run Wiz 8 under Vista x64?

It installed fine, and the VGA settings runs fine, but when you try to start the game it drops into the first-time mini Wiz 8 logo screen with "Please Wait" scrawled across it but never gets out of there.

I've googled but can't find anything concrete.

Anyone know a solution, or is this another reason to keep XP installed (already keeping because my Sat Nav provider has deemed it "too complicated" to provide x64 drivers!!!!)

Try running it under Virtual PC 2007. I use that for alot of DOS games. Works pretty well.

Pr()ZaC
Sep 19, 2007, 07:04 PM
Just to chime in, Wiz8 is one of the best PC RPGs I ever played. Not may people on this forum have tried it.

Bladedog
Sep 19, 2007, 07:29 PM
... Kraggy's Bored forum's. Use to be Wizardy 8 forum and now is just a gaming forum but still has a Wizardy sub forum. Here is the URL:

You sir are a God and your sister an Angel +1 Rep to you.

The solution? A no-CD crack found on the Wiz8 section of the forum listed above.

I read somewhere whilst doing my search for a fix, about a guy who had a problem with a game hanging in Vista x64. The cause was incompatible CD checking software built into the game. He searched and searched and found an updated driver and he was sorted.

I guess Wiz 8 has a similar problem, but use the no-cd crack instead and BINGO instant gaming on Vista x64.

I think I should add that in Vista installing the crack has one final "splinter". When you unzip the contents into the Wizardry8 folder it doesn't actually go there, it goes into something called "Compatability Files". If you don't know what that is drop over to Google, but apparently its some set of hidden folders and when you try to copy something into a Program Files folder without going through an application Vista hides the files in a virtual environment. If you leave it there the no-cd crack won't work 'cos its not in the same folder as the DLL's etc. Instead you need to CUT and PASTE back into the actual Wizardry8 folder.

I swear, Rage3D is THE place to find the answer!!! Thanks to everyone for their input.

I'm off now to install Flamestrykes new mod. I may be some time :D :D :D

Woodgypsy
Sep 19, 2007, 10:15 PM
Yes Wizardry 8 is great. Graphics are very good and it has so many hours of gameplay and different ways to set up groups and equiping them the options seem almost endless. Its my sister's favorite game to this day and she just keeps playing and playing. The only game that she has shown interest in since Wizardy 8 is World of Warcraft, which she also likes greatly. I believe she is also still a mod on Kraggy's Bored forum's. Use to be Wizardy 8 forum and now is just a gaming forum but still has a Wizardy sub forum. Here is the URL:

She said you can post in the Wizardry forum or the forum called geek speak on Kraggy's Bored. All so maybe try the IGN Wizardry forums. She said she does not know anyone trying to run Wizardy 8 on Windows Vista but someone may have info that helps, you never know.

Cheers to Wizardry8, and cheers to your sister as well. :D

Speaking of running Wiz8, I noticed Wiz8 is on the short list of softwares supported by Winedoor, maybe I shall try it running under Linux.;)

Cowzrul
Sep 20, 2007, 01:31 AM
Anyone else tried to do a 1 man ironman party? If you can get out of the noob temple thing, I'd be astonished.

Wiz 8 might be the hardest game ever created.

Kev1
Sep 20, 2007, 08:39 PM
Glad you got it working Bladedog :) . I didn't consider that maybe the noCD hack might work. Nice to know Wizardry 8 works fine under Vista.

Thanks for posting about the correct procedure for installing the noCD files. I have no plans to upgrade to Vista but its useful info if I ever do. It also may help someone else with the same problem. Probably should post something about it on IGN or another Wiz8 forum.

Cowzrul: Talked to my Sister and she has tried a 2 or 3 person Ironman Party but not one man. I asked her if anyone she knew who played Wiz8 tried to play just one group member and she said only 2 people she knows did that and finished the game.

I have enough trouble with a full party, don't think I would try just one party member :runaway: