PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Series $100 bill still valid?

CR2500
Aug 14, 2007, 06:44 PM
My neighbor asked me for change for his $100 1985 series. If i take it to a bank, will I be able to deposit it? It smells and feels real, but there are no security features.. because its too old or fake?

Thanks.

Pr3tty F1y
Aug 14, 2007, 06:49 PM
My neighbor asked me for change for his $100 1985 series. If i take it to a bank, will I be able to deposit it? It smells and feels real, but there are no security features.. because its too old or fake?

Thanks.

As long as it's not fake or damaged beyond recognition, it's still valid tender.

monkeydust
Aug 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
No, it's fake. Send it to me and I'll destroy it for you. :bleh:

curio
Aug 14, 2007, 07:15 PM
While the 1985 $100 bill is definitely still valid, it's now only worth $75.

_TiTaNiuM
Aug 14, 2007, 07:18 PM
While the 1985 $100 bill is definitely still valid, it's now only worth $75.
serious? :bleh2:

night
Aug 14, 2007, 07:19 PM
make sure there are no ink jet dots

curio
Aug 14, 2007, 07:20 PM

Oh, of course.

http://users.zoominternet.net/%7Egmtarkin/atsm.gif

Trunks0
Aug 14, 2007, 07:20 PM
As long as it's not fake or damaged beyond recognition, it's still valid tender.

Even if the bill is heavily damaged, it is still valid. I've saw a show on dollars bills (most probably on the discovery channel) and part of what they covered was durability (of which polypropylene polymer banknotes are toughest). If the money is burnt, say for instance in a money box or safe. Forensics can be used to find out exactly how much was in the box so you do not loose your money.

_TiTaNiuM
Aug 14, 2007, 07:26 PM
Oh, of course.

OF COURSE

http://users.zoominternet.net/~gmtarkin/atsm.gif

DaJMasta
Aug 14, 2007, 07:47 PM
OF COURSE

If anything, it should be worth $100 in 1985, which would be significantly more.

:bleh:

Lupine
Aug 14, 2007, 07:56 PM
No, its trash.

I like the texture of old worthless bills though, so would be willing to take it off your hands for a small fee.

Pr3tty F1y
Aug 14, 2007, 09:19 PM
Even if the bill is heavily damaged, it is still valid. I've saw a show on dollars bills (most probably on the discovery channel) and part of what they covered was durability (of which polypropylene polymer banknotes are toughest). If the money is burnt, say for instance in a money box or safe. Forensics can be used to find out exactly how much was in the box so you do not loose your money.

Yah, I should have clarified. I meant heavily damaged in terms of being ripped/shredded. Missing pieces FTL :) (I think you need to have at least 51% of the bill for it to be valid but I can't remember where I heard that from ;))

seeker010
Aug 14, 2007, 09:43 PM
Yah, I should have clarified. I meant heavily damaged in terms of being ripped/shredded. Missing pieces FTL :) (I think you need to have at least 51% of the bill for it to be valid but I can't remember where I heard that from ;))

I'm not so sure; if the bill was ripped in half, obviously there's a problem; but if there's shredding and it's obvious that little chunks came off instead of one big piece, I think it's still valid even if you have less than 51%.

Pr3tty F1y
Aug 17, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'm not so sure; if the bill was ripped in half, obviously there's a problem; but if there's shredding and it's obvious that little chunks came off instead of one big piece, I think it's still valid even if you have less than 51%.

I think you have to have 51% for the fact that if not, you could cut a $100 bill into quarters and make $400 ;) Even with shredding, someone could make it look like it was shredded and do the same. I don't think the gov't would like you doing that.The reason I thought there was such a rule was to prevent fraud like that. I mean, if the bill is missing a corner, ok, but if it's missing more than half, then I'd say there is an issue.

Sundance Kid V2
Aug 17, 2007, 04:59 PM
send it to me ... I will dance for it , private dance, just for you :heart:

0mar
Aug 17, 2007, 10:12 PM

If it's a Series EE bond, then yea, it's probably around 75-80 dollars. However, he only paid $50 for the bill (EEs are half face value). Still a shitty way to invest.