PDA

View Full Version : CaPlgin.ax - after installing ATI Display Driver

CurlySue
Aug 14, 2007, 04:20 PM
After installing ATI 7.6 or 7.7 or (the newest) 7.8 Display Driver, Norton Win Doctor consistently finds the following Registry error: CLSID\{B0693766-5278-4ec6-B9E1-3CE40560EF5A}\InprocServer32, refers to a missing file, CaPlgin.ax.

After conducting a thorough search, this file does NOT exist on my HDD - its no wonder that it is a "missing" file.

On another issue, I see that the ATI WDM 7.8 version is no better than the 7.6 or 7.7 version - all three of which still leave the ATI Unified AVStream Driver icon in the System Tray. What a bunch of morons ATI has for programmers. Of course, their technical support is similarly worthless.

On that note, I am so very happy to have discovered this Forum and want to thank everyone whom has helped me with other issue and hopefully this one as well.

Sincerely,

Suzanne "CurlySue"

spyre
Aug 14, 2007, 04:34 PM
CaPlgin.ax is a media player file, nothing to do with the drivers. All files ending in .ax are audio codec / filters. That file has been around since Windows 98.

CurlySue
Aug 15, 2007, 09:11 AM
Thank you for your reply and education, spyre. :)

I find it rather odd that ATI includes a circa 1998 audio codec with its August 2007 video driver. Those clowns at ATI can't get much right, can they!

Thanks again!!

Suzanne "Curly Sue"

spyre
Aug 15, 2007, 12:51 PM
They don't include it, my guess is that Windows installs it when it detects that the cards have multimedia aspects VIVO etc. You can check the cab files of the OS and its in there, its not part of the driver install files.

Also I said it was first present in 1998, that doesn't mean that the file hasn't been updated regularly since with new OS versions. For example the D3D dll files have been around for years and years but they are updated regularly.

The file is probably there for legacy compatibility reasons, it also gets installed for people who don't use ATI cards. It isn't there under Vista X64 however as I checked so I guess that OS doesn't need it.

CurlySue
Aug 18, 2007, 07:40 PM
and every other .cab file on my HDD and there is nothing remotely close to CaPlgin. Oh well, just more debris from Windows and or ATI. No great surprise there. Just wish that ATI tech support had 1/10000th (one the thousandth) of your competence, Spyre, or any other member at this forum. Thanks again!! Suzanne "CurlySue"